Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Geely Emgrand

• 28-03-2012 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Soon to be launched in the Uk with a price tag of £9999.

Will it be coming to Ireland?

geely_emgrand_f34_ns_112409_815.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Choice of 1.5 or 1.8 petrol. Nobody will buy them, they're not cheap enough given the high tax and vrt they'll almost definitely have

Also it looks rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Also it looks rubbish.
    Totally agree on this point.

I've wondered however if they can keep the emissions down on the petrols would they begin to sell again?

I reckon a change back to petrol as a first choice fuel isn't too far off now.

However having talked to someone in the know with regards to Chinese cars they have extended the gearing so long that the cars are terribly slow to drive in order to achieve low emissions.

I've also heard some interesting things as regards the old Rover K-series

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Thats the FE or the ec7 model.

They haven't got the naming convention down yet.

Looks Kinda like a camry - corolla.

http://emocionalvolante.blogspot.com/2011/12/geely-llegara-europa-y-los-primeros-en.html

http://www.geely.com/global/our_business/brands_products_fe.html
    from the mirror ;))

The Chinese company owns Volvo and is in partnership with Manganese Bronze Holdings, which builds the iconic London taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Chinese company owns Volvo and is in partnership with Manganese Bronze Holdings, which builds the iconic London taxi.

Straight out of The Mirror. :D

Car kinda reminds me of a Kia cerato

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Straight out of The Mirror. :D

Car kinda reminds me of a Kia cerato
    I'm interested to see if Chinese cars can cut it in the real world outside of China. Japanese and Korean firms have cracked it but I think Chinese firms are busy enough satisfying their own needs for now.

• Advertisement

johnos1984 wrote: »

..... are you going to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

We used to laugh at the Koreans, no more. In 15 years years Chinese cars will rule the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

We used to laugh at the Koreans, no more. In 15 years years Chinese cars will rule the world.

Until then I will continue to laugh at cars like that. It's like a glitzed up mid 90s Accent. But I feel the Accent, relative to the time it was in, would be a better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's like a glitzed up mid 90s Accent.
    That was my first thought.

This will flop badly in my opinion, for only an extra £1,500 you can get a new Kia C'eed which will look and feel much better than this junker.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,700 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We used to laugh at the Koreans, no more.

They're an awful lot better than the sh1te they used to be 10 years ago. Still no better than mediocre though. Far, far away from class leaders.
    In 15 years years Chinese cars will rule the world.

A will take a bit longer than that :D

Anyway in 15 years time their cars will be sh1te still :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

unkel wrote: »
    They're an awful lot better than the sh1te they used to be 10 years ago. Still no better than mediocre though. Far, far away from class leaders.

A will take a bit longer than that :D

Anyway in 15 years time their cars will be sh1te still :D

You wait, they will hoover up all the decent European designers, leaving nothing but a senile Walta da Silva to go round bolting absurd grills on whats left of the Euro marques!

RoverJames wrote: »

..... are you going to share?
    It would appear MG's new 1.5lengine is a cast iron made replica of the old alloy k series however it is now sporting a chain instead of a timing belt...........and very high gearing making it lifeless

• Registered Users Posts: 64,700 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You wait, they will hoover up all the decent European designers, leaving nothing but a senile Walta da Silva to go round bolting absurd grills on whats left of the Euro marques!

I wouldn't be so worried about designers, but you have a point. A realistic enough scenario is that some Chinese conglomerates (with government support and plenty of hard dollars / euro from their enormous cash mountain) would start buying entire mainstream car companies, including their know how and patents.

I don't know what their market capitalisations are (anyone?), but Renault or PSA would be interesting choices

We wait indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Soon to be launched in the Uk with a price tag of £9999.

Will it be coming to Ireland?

Hopefully not, thing is fugly.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its like a tida but ugly and unreliable instead of just ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Wonder what it's NCAP rating is.

Also, is there a minimum NCAP required to sell cars in Europe?

It would appear MG's new 1.5lengine is a cast iron made replica of the old alloy k series however it is now sporting a chain instead of a timing belt...........and very high gearing making it lifeless

That'll do wonders for the handling.

Weird to have a sandwich type set up of cast iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

There, If they sold it like this then they would do very well in the Irish market......Unfortunately

198166.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There, If they sold it like this then they would do very well in the Irish market......Unfortunately

So, it would still be ugly, unproven and uneconomical no matter what badge you put on it.

Also, for your joke to work, you should have stuck a Toyota badge on there http://www.beepbeep.ie/stats?sYear%5B%5D=2012&sYear%5B%5D=&sRegType=1&sMonth%5B%5D=&sMonth%5B%5D=&x=24&y=16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

So, it would still be ugly, unproven and uneconomical no matter what badge you put on it.

Also, for your joke to work, you should have stuck a Toyota badge on there http://www.beepbeep.ie/stats?sYear%5B%5D=2012&sYear%5B%5D=&sRegType=1&sMonth%5B%5D=&sMonth%5B%5D=&x=24&y=16

yeah but I like Toyota:P and I always think VW are ugly IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Pique wrote: »
    Wonder what it's NCAP rating is.

Also, is there a minimum NCAP required to sell cars in Europe?

NCAP doesn't seem bad:

And, as usual, just ignore the youtube comments, terrible what they allow there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

attachment.php?attachmentid=198166&stc=1&d=1333044032

Looks like a new jetta or Passat:)

Advertisement