Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Platform 11 boards down?

• 01-12-2005 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭

Is hyperboards fcuked again or is it me? Cheers guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Same problemo with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Not us, server has a major hardware fault, ETA to fix unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Arrrghh, again with the hyperboards! Cheers for the update anyway Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Not us, server has a major hardware fault, ETA to fix unknown
    Move to boards.ie

boards.ie/vbulletin > Hosted > Activism

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Seemes to be a common occurence these days!

How come other hyperboards are still up and running (just curious).

• Advertisement

enterprise wrote:
    Seemes to be a common occurence these days!

How come other hyperboards are still up and running (just curious).
    Server 1 and 2 are up, it's only 3 that's fcuked (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

Victor wrote:
    Move to boards.ie

boards.ie/vbulletin > Hosted > Activism

I'd second this one... hyperboards has never been a favourite of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Boards.ie has FAR more regular Irish users too so you'd get people discovering Platform11 via Boards.ie in quite large numbers.

Right the answer is there is no hyperboards anymore, they f****d up by not having a backup, class 1A idiots there

http://www.platform11.org/news/news.php?year=2005&no=19.html

There is no point replying to thus thread nothing anyone can do can resolve this issue. Read the page at the above url, that is all we have, firm plans are in place and a vastly better system has been planned for some months we just have to move it up by a few weeks. And based on boards.ie and others vBulletin is coming

Nothing we can or could have done would make a difference

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Right the answer is there is no hyperboards anymore, they f****d up by not having a backup, class 1A idiots there

Ouch... thats a major PITA for you guys :/

• Advertisement

Damn, there was a lot of good stuff on that board. Victor can we use here as a temporary home until our own Vbulletin powered board comes onstream? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

That's damn shame lads. Hyperboards is a free service isn't it? I guess you got the most out of it while it lasted.

Unfortunately, there doesn't even seem to be an archive of the site http://web.archive.org/web/*/platform11.hyperboards3.com/*

Well now you can can start fresh! :)

morlan wrote:
    Unfortunately, there doesn't even seem to be an archive of the site http://web.archive.org/web/*/platform11.hyperboards3.com/*

But there is a little at http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://platform11.hyperboards.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Bill McH

Agreed. Any time I had a look at the P11 message board it was a really good read. Some very interesting threads and plenty of good ideas.

G'luck with the new one.

markpb wrote:

Ah yes. Print that out and have it framed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭PandaMania

That's a shame really. There was over 10,000 articles and hundreds of photos on that board and all fully searchable. Was very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

So it looks like People Power lost! !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hyperboards Server 3 was always a junk tin. Never thought it would die totally though.

They're probably just going to restart Server 3 and the whole crap mill will start all over again >_<

Needless to say I don't think we ought to go back to Hyperboards again. Going to boards.ie, and benficial as that may be in terms of the hosts Irish-ness, there are other options such as

www.proboards.com
    and www.invisionfree.com

where you get your own brand-spanking new totally customisable forum, as opposed to getting subforum of a larger group where the admins of a previously segregated forum would be limited to Moderators. This may be acceptable for P11 but I'm sure the committee have a plan regardless.

It is a great shame, the one good thing is all the photos are safe as there where external a lot of it particulary the government documentation is available through the website

The very least I expected was a backup, you always have a backup. I've just had the power die for 50 seconds on me but the webserver I look after stayed up, a few months ago a power surge killed a hard drive on me but I had a backup

The committee is well sick of hyperboards due to persistent failures, boards.ie had its own issues this year too but there was a backup and half a day was lost which is as good as can be expected, good system admining there guys. A new message board was planned and costed we just have to move the dates forward

A new message board will be up soon with full control with proper software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll 3rd Victors suggestion, in fact I expect the Admins to be peeved Platform 11 did'nt call here first! ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

And still the post-mortem continues ...

http://support.hyperboards.com/index.cgi?cat=support&board=support

At this stage though it's all over but the shoutin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jd

I can't understand why P11 don't maintain their own vbulletin/phpbb bulletin board on their virtual server. People with a lot less techical expertise manage to do it.

I guess they just don't have the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

jd wrote:
    I can't understand why P11 don't maintain their own vbulletin/phpbb bulletin board on their virtual server. People with a lot less techical expertise manage to do it.

Read their posts on the matter, they were already planning one before this happened. I am sure if they had any idea the fukwits that run hyperboards did not have any back-up in place they would have switched sooner but frankly who could guess that an internet company could be so badly run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jd

John R wrote:
    Read their posts on the matter, they were already planning one before this happened. I am sure if they had any idea the fukwits that run hyperboards did not have any back-up in place they would have switched sooner but frankly who could guess that an internet company could be so badly run.
    Fair enuff!

Right we is back in business

Read this first

Bigger, better, backed up and hosted in Dublin

http://forum.platform11.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

good job !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Nice to see the P11 boards back but I find the whole member/public division a bit ridiculous.

It's not by making people pay that you will ever create a quality or interesting discussion forum (quite the opposite actually).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

There was a quite a big thread on the old P11 boards before they died, some heated debate going on. In the end, after all opinions were put forward, I think people accepted that it was the right thing to do. Can't remember the details of it exactly, I'm sure one of the committee members will answer in more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

embraer170 wrote:
    Nice to see the P11 boards back but I find the whole member/public division a bit ridiculous.

It's not by making people pay that you will ever create a quality or interesting discussion forum (quite the opposite actually).

It is their board so they can do what they like with it.
    However It is a very good way to sideline anyone who has differences of opinion from the group.
    On the other hand they can no longer in any way infer the use of their boards as supporting their cause.

Advertisement