Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor youtube playback - UPC

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Wireless

Limerick

Channels changed on router by UPC remotely.

Same issues

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

CGI_3 wrote: »
    Wireless

Limerick

Channels changed on router by UPC remotely.

Same issues
    your problem is wireless interference from neighboring routers.
    Assuming u have the cisco ep2425 [url]Http://192.168.1.1[/url] "Set Up" under wireless click "Basic" change to channel 11, that's the one I use with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mark17j wrote: »
    your problem is wireless interference from neighboring routers.
    Assuming u have the cisco ep2425 [url]Http://192.168.1.1[/url] "Set Up" under wireless click "Basic" change to channel 11, that's the one I use with no issues.
    not necessarily, it could be more or less anything and how do you know that his next door neighbours either side of him aren't already using channel 11? :confused:

do a speedtest on www.speedtest.net and if you can get a decent speed there, youtube shouldn't be buffering.

as a (very) rough guide, 3mbps should comfortably get you 720p video on youtube without any issues. you can right click on any youtube video and choose "show video info" to see what the transfer rate is and other relevant statistics about the stream.

also, you can check your youtube speed history here: http://www.youtube.com/my_speed

if you are having speed issues on speed tests as well, then it *could* be wireless interference. the only way to rule it out completely is to test again via a wired connection.

if that sorts the problem THEN it's time to change your wireless channel, but randomly changing it to various arbitrary channels and hoping it works, then re-testing each time is going to take quite a bit of time if you live in a busy residential area.

download and install inSSIDer and do a walkaround your house with your laptop running it and you will see a graph showing you all the wireless networks in your vecinity, which channels they are using and which of those channels overlap with yours. any overlap is going to be eating into your own wireless signal to some extent, the more there are, the worse it could be.

the solution is to find a wireless channel with the least interference from neighbouring channels, which you will be able to see from your wireless survey with inSSIDer. i'd recommend walking round your place and going to every window (upstairs and down if you have them) and hanging there for a minute or two just to see what pops up.

once you've done that, you should hopefully be sorted.

if you're still not sorted then it's time to call UPC. collect as much info as you can to send off to them. reboot your router, do lots of testing at various times of the day and night and make a log of the tests you do to give them a clearer picture of the issues. the more they know about the issue, the more likely they are to be able to find a solution.

Used inSSIDer.

Am on channel 8.

The RSSI (whatever this is) shows green and -50

No one else on this channel.

Results on speedtest.net are very jagged on the graph...

UPDATE:

Sorry UPC, it might not be you!!

Tried an older Windows XP laptop and the results were good and consistent. About 25mb with ethernet and 20 with wifi.

The problem PC works fine on ethernet. Seems to be the WIFI on it that's at fault. BUT, then again, was never a problem with my vodafone connection

What should I check on this? Its a 6 month old DELL with windows 7.

Actually most of the time upload on speedtest just times out.. (WIFI only)

Any ideas?

And, strangely enough, I'm also having poor youtube playback on my Samsung Galaxy S phone. Hence one of my other reasons for blaming UPC as it only started getting problematic at the same time....

Could they be related? Can't see how myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'm having the same problem with Youtube and UPC the last few days.

It's really odd as I can stream HD video from Netflix perfectly. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem with Youtube and UPC the last few days.

It's really odd as I can stream HD video from Netflix perfectly. :confused:
    Also having the same issue with UPC, very annoying! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Absolutely terrible tonight, twenty minutes to load three minutes of relatively poor SD video.

Netflix is flying along at X-High HD so I don't know what UPC/Google are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Nollog

Lately, all google sites have been slow as poop for me.
    100mbit and I'm buffering a 720p video right now for the past 5 minutes and it's done...1/15th of the video.

Connected by ethernet, gigabit ethernet, so it isn't my own network here that's the problem, it's UPC's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Have any of you contacted UPC about this?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Ranicand wrote: »

Yes :)

The problem seemed to go away but it's back with a vengance :( I've submitted a tech support message via the UPC website. I agree it would be good if others did the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Ranicand wrote: »

Yes - and it looks like their e-mail response is on par with youtube loading speed :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Continually awful youtube performance for me also. Anyone hear anything back from UPC? 100mb/Cork

Hi, I finally seem to have gotten to the bottom of my particular woes with poor youtube playback and a windows 7 laptop.

I disabled wireless N and now everything works perfectly. Strange, though that it didn't seem to matter on my Linksys N enabled DSL router.

The thomson UPC router is N also.

Obviously some other setting somewhere is in conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lennyboy

Hi, I finally seem to have gotten to the bottom of my particular woes with poor youtube playback and a windows 7 laptop.

I disabled wireless N and now everything works perfectly. Strange, though that it didn't seem to matter on my Linksys N enabled DSL router.

The thomson UPC router is N also.

Obviously some other setting somewhere is in conflict.

how did you do this mate?

Mine is windows 7.

Start, Control panel, Network and Internet, Network and sharing centre, change adapter settings.

Right click on the appropriate wireless connection and select properties.

On the networking tab click the configure button.

This brings you into the settings for the wireless card in the pc.

Click on the advanced tab.

Look for the 802.11n mode

Select this and then select disabled from a pull down.

Click ok.

You'll loose connection straight away while the changes take effect.

No need to reboot.

Hopefully this will work for someone....

Mine is windows 7.

Start, Control panel, Network and Internet, Network and sharing centre, change adapter settings.

Right click on the appropriate wireless connection and select properties.

On the networking tab click the configure button.

This brings you into the settings for the wireless card in the pc.

Click on the advanced tab.

Look for the 802.11n mode

Select this and then select disabled from a pull down.

Click ok.

You'll loose connection straight away while the changes take effect.

No need to reboot.

Hopefully this will work for someone....

First look and this seems to of improved things :D

Much appreciated mate!

first look my internet hasnt worked like this in weeks!

Very happy right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

youtube issues here the last few days on (UPC broadband), constant buffering with 720p and 1080p vids - checked my download speeds and all seems good, all other sites running fine for me.
    Anybody experiencing similar lately with youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

mark17j wrote: »
    youtube issues here the last few days on (UPC broadband), constant buffering with 720p and 1080p vids - checked my download speeds and all seems good, all other sites running fine for me.
    Anybody experiencing similar lately with youtube?

Yep, mine is the same for the past few weeks. Vids won't buffer more than a few seconds ahead no matter how long I leave them even on standard quality. If I try and skip ahead it takes a while to buffer and start. Very annoying and only youtube. Also can't watch any embedded vids on sites, have to go to the full site for the vid to load up.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

mine would be the same
    especially for 720 and 1080p vids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

same here for months. just on youtube, almost exclusively with 720p and 1080p. other qualities will load okay often, but not always.

vimeo is a snap, every single time. other sites are okay, and DL speeds in general are as expected (that is, after resetting the router once a week, which i've called upc in regards to 5 times, and they've still done nothing except talk about wireless interference with neighbours ... even though i'm plugged directly in with an ethernet cable) ... sigh.

oh well, it's not like this silly little site called youtube is important or popular or going to catch on any time soon...

*edit*
    just did some (more) digging around and found about blocking certain ips that deal with throttling. got it working on my winXP, and so far all the 1080p i've tried have been loading straight up, no problem!!! now if only i could do this on the router so the whole house could enjoy youtube again...

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

personguy wrote: »

*edit*
    just did some (more) digging around and found about blocking certain ips that deal with throttling. got it working on my winXP, and so far all the 1080p i've tried have been loading straight up, no problem!!! now if only i could do this on the router so the whole house could enjoy youtube again...

could you share with us what needs to be done to sort this?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

it's not really worth sharing the specifics of what i eventually configured, but if you google around for "upc youtube" and find hits related to throttling and blocking a range of ips, then you should be able to find a solution that suits you. it's different on linux, different on mac, different on xp than on 7, and then different again from router to router. for instance, i haven't found a way to change the appropriate settings in the stock firmware with the cisco router that i currently have with upc, however the firmware did just magically change within the last week (i saw a few options just completely disappear that were there last week) .. so, with all these variables, i would suggest just doing your own quick googling around, looking for upc and youtube and ip blocking all in the same hits. for some it's as easy as just typing something into a console. for me i had to use a strange console feature of xp and add a bunch of data individually as i couldn't find a way to follow the instructions i'd found online for blocking a whole range... so, rather than drag someone through all that, again, just read around for how and what to block to get this working on your setup. the info i stumbled upon took less than 5 minutes to find and read, then about 45 minutes of trial-and-error to get it working on my particular setup. could be even easier for others!

good luck!

*edit*
    sorry, should add this link!
    http://www.studyblog.net/2011/10/block-ip-address-or-ip-range-in-windows-server-2008-by-windows-firewall/

Advertisement