Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 5 euro for a pint in Ireland How do we Stop this

• 13-03-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

My beef is how do we stop pubs charging over 5 euro for a pint in Ireland... ?

Any Ideas ?

I spent a week in both liverpool and wales and I spent 1.80 a Pint...

And then I come back here and pay 5 euro a pint...

O.k some pubs do serve cheap pints only cause they are forced too.

By How can we as irish people stop this..

Any Ideas ?
    How we can stop this I know we can stop paying it but we have to let pubs know this that we will not stand for these prices..

Even tourists are paying 7 euro for pints in Temple Bar which makes me sick to the stomach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Any Ideas ?

Any Ideas ?
    How we can stop this I know we can stop paying it but we have to let pubs know this that we will not stand for these prices..

Even tourists are paying 7 euro for pints in Temple Bar which makes me sick to the stomach.

Think you answered your own question there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Any Ideas ?

Any Ideas ?

I just wait until im taking my holiday overseas and enjoy a few pints in nice sunny surroundings. During the rest of the year i go to the offie. The greedy publican knows what he can do with his €5 pint as far as im concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There should be a campaign. Don't pay the household charge. Don't pay over 4.50 for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Simples. Don't go to a pub that charges over 5 euro a pint. If all the rip off pubs were boycotted and the ones that were charging a reasonable price were heaving, they would soon get the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Stop abusing alcoholic drinks in order to have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

My problem with all of this "avoid the pubs" is that, in general we are, and the Vintners association is mouthing off to the government about below cost selling in Tesco etc as the only reason we are not in pubs, Fine Gael want to put a floor on the price of alcohol because of it. (Well actually they say its to stop binge drinking etc.. but we all know the reason why)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Not only ripping off our money but also our right to make informed decisions as responsible adults- Closing the off licence at 10pm and now the possibility of raising the price of alcohol in supermarkets as the pubs 'can't' (won't)compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Yea it's a joke. We are a nation of self absorved idiots when it comes to pricing, we have a certain sence of arrogance.

There's no need to be making a mark up of 40 - 50% on everything.

We need the likes of Weatherspoons over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

The Railway Bar in Roscommon has just had Tuborg Lager installed and is €3 a pint, and it tastes ok as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

:eek: €5 for a Pint

I won't pay over €4 for a pint of Guinness, the two locals I drink in are €3.70 & €3.90 for a pint.

If I go into a Pub I'm not familiar with I check the listed price, if it's above €4 I won't drink there.....SIMPLES...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

McGoverns in Gorey....2.50 euro for a pint of Tennants....Hard to beat that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

cronin_j wrote: »
    My problem with all of this "avoid the pubs" is that, in general we are, and the Vintners association is mouthing off to the government about below cost selling in Tesco etc as the only reason we are not in pubs, Fine Gael want to put a floor on the price of alcohol because of it. (Well actually they say its to stop binge drinking etc.. but we all know the reason why)

Let's not forget the little cartel they had a while back. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0714/competition.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

It´s been said before but it´s as simple as picking a new pub with lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It´s been said before but it´s as simple as picking a new pub with lower prices.

the problem with that is if one pub sets a price the rest will follow... no competition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Atlantic House in Fanad......€3.50 for all pints! Been like that for at least 5 years so it's not the economy that's causing the high prices, it's greedy publicans. And the Guinness in there is the best in the country - just take a look at my belly for evidence :D Hate paying over €4 for a pint - honestly don't think it's worth it. Was in Turku in Finland a couple of years ago and paid €5.80 for a pint of black - mind you, they imported it from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

Boycotted the hairy lemon when they started charging 5.70 for pints. Same with Bruxelles.
    O'Reillys under Tara St Station have 3.50 pints all the time, its not a promotion or anything.

One thing though, have you ever bought a pint in Paris? Think the most expensive pint i ever got was in Paris. It was 10.70. Standard pint price is over in Paris. On the flipside though, you can purchase (good) wine very cheaply, in some pubs as low as 2 euro a glass. And its not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Yeah, I had a bottle of Budvar recently at a pub in Temple Bar and paid €6. That's extortion. No wonder why people drink at home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

andrewire wrote: »
    Yeah, I had a bottle of Budvar recently at a pub in Temple Bar and paid €6. That's extortion. No wonder why people drink at home now.

Worst I've seen was the Templebar Bar a few weeks ago - 3 x 330ml bottles of Heineken - almost 18 euro

Made a quick departure after that. If everyone 'voted with their feet' and avoided the expensive pubs the prices would have to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

fguihen wrote: »
    Boycotted the hairy lemon when they started charging 5.70 for pints. Same with Bruxelles.
    O'Reillys under Tara St Station have 3.50 pints all the time, its not a promotion or anything.

One thing though, have you ever bought a pint in Paris? Think the most expensive pint i ever got was in Paris. It was 10.70. Standard pint price is over in Paris. On the flipside though, you can purchase (good) wine very cheaply, in some pubs as low as 2 euro a glass. And its not bad at all.

+1 for O Reillys. The business they get is great too.

Boycott the Lombard on Pearse Street ourseves as they charger over a 5er for a pint, and 'deal' is 3 bottles for a tenner.

As for the Paris bit, youve missed one critical bit; Beers there are about 12% content, so you literally will need 2 pints to feel the power ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Stop abusing alcoholic drinks in order to have a good time.

How is enjoying a pint "abusing alsoholic drinks in order to have a good time"? :confused:

cronin_j wrote: »

Exactly, its because they want more revenue. They couldn't give a rodent's backside if we all die from cirrhosis... The same way that they keep increasing the price of tobacco "to encourage people to quit" - they should know (and actually DO know) by now that this does not lead to people quitting....

they should know (and actually DO know) by now that this does not lead to people quitting....

But it does deter people from starting though.
    the problem with that is if one pub sets a price the rest will follow... no competition

I disagree with that, any savvy businessperson would see an opening in the market if all pubs were operating as a cartel and setting high prices. You can even see it these days, there is always a pub somewhere that charges less but perhaps people don't know about it or just haven't looked. Would be nice if there was an app like pumps.ie that could guide you to the best priced pint.. perhaps call it pints.ie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

http://www.causes.com/causes/657986-price-of-a-pint-in-ireland-and-the-declining-pub-trade

Theres something I threw together. I hope that people will constribute and help me fix it up so we can say the right things, and target the right people.

RoboRat wrote: »
    But it does deter people from starting though.

Really? Where can I find statistics to back this up?

Really? Where can I find statistics to back this up?

http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/4742

You only need to look at it logically, a youth gets X amount in pocket money and its costing more than what they are getting to buy 20 smokes so they (a) steal the money or (b) bum the off friends, (b) may occur but when the price of cigarettes are so high the likelihood of their being given away is lessened. Bottom line is that it makes them more inaccessible for younger people and therefore reduces the chances of younger people buying them and getting hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

If everyone 'voted with their feet' and avoided the expensive pubs the prices would have to drop.

That's great, in theory, but the publicans know that people will pay over €5.00 for a pint, so will continue to charge it, no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

RoboRat wrote: »
    Would be nice if there was an app like pumps.ie that could guide you to the best priced pint.. perhaps call it pints.ie!!

There ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Have to agree with avoiding high priced bars in the cities.

I live in a smaller town and the prices are pretty standard ( €3.90 a pint, or €3.00 for Tuborg ).

Needless to say that most people are drinking Tuborg.

I'd like to see the pubs take a stand and bring back some promotional offers, that used to work well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The two main brewers charge more here than in the UK.

They have market power, pricing power, due to less competition.

In the same way as Bulmers said they will make less profit in NI as they face more competition there.

What can we do?????

Break Diageo in two and hope the two parts compete against each other??

We shouldn't have let Heineken buy Beamish.

Advertisement