Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

5.32k in 27.52 (5.14 average)

Hungover run this morning. Did my usual recovery run circuit but let the legs go at their own speed.

this month: 11/89.38
    this year: 42/391.25

22.98k in 2.02.54 (5.21 average)

'Long' run day today. Still trying to protect my foot by staying away from hard surfaces so went up to Tymon - you don't get much softer than the mudfest up there - and slogged through the mud for an easy couple of hours. The foot seems to be much better these days - no discomfort there today, just my hips starting to stiffen up towards the end. Still feel it sometimes when I'm walking, so will ask the physio about it anyway.

this month: 12/112.36
    this year: 43/314.23

8.69k in 47.55 (5.30 average)

Easy run into work, with bag.

this month: 13/121.05
    this year: 44/422.92

13.68k in 69.43 (5.06 average)

Day off today. Easy run up through Churchtown at a decent pace, followed by a massage. Nice.

this month: 14/134.73
    this year: 45/436.6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RayCun wrote: »
    13.68k in 69.43 (5.06 average)

Day off today.

Obviously day off Work and not running;)

• Advertisement

14.94k in 80.29 (5.23 average)

Didn't hit my Jantastic target yesterday - and woddle had to be put back in his place :p - so went out for another longish run today. Took it very easy, didn't want to undo the good work of the massage yesterday, so went up to Tymon and plodded through the mud.

this month: 15/149.69
    this year: 46/451.54

9.24k in 43.06 (4.40 average)

Club session this evening. About 2k warmup, then 2x1200, 2x1000, and 2x800, about 90 seconds between each run. All were at about 5k pace, except the second 1000 when I was just out of gas, was about 4.10 pace. :o Okay, that was one of the uphill-and-into-the-wind runs, but still...

this month: 16/158.93
    this year: 47/460.78

8.09k in 46.08 (5.42 average)

Recovery run today, plodding through the mud in my local park - about a k around the perimeter so too small for a real run, but handy for these little runs. A little longer than usual, because I had the time and wanted to stay ahead of woddle listen to the end of a podcast ;)

this month: 17/167.02
    this year: 48/468.87

5.46k in 31.30 (5.46 average)

Nice easy jog up to the Garda boat club to pick up my number. Met drquirky up there, and an uncle I haven't seen in years - he's joined Lucan Harriers and was doing his first cross-country today. Bumped into ecoli too, and a bunch of clubmates

4 miles in 28?? (forgot to stop the watch :rolleyes:)

I wasn't really paying attention as we lined up at the start, and found myself right at the back. ****. I don't mind the dodging people so much as the difficulty in finding the right pace - I don't really know how hard to push in these races so its much easier to start in the middle and work off the people around me.
    It's a three lap race, shaped like a stretched rectangle - two long straights (more or less) with very short lateral connections. One straight was flat grass, ending in a downhill, and the strong wind behind you all the way. Then the way back was mainly uphill, into the wind, and with sections on a trail through the woods with exposed tree roots. My splits don't match the loops exactly, but the pattern is clear - 4.04, 4.23, 4.19, 4.32, 4.06, 4.53 - that 4.53k starts just where the route gets hard.
    I spent the first mile or so kicking myself for getting the start wrong. Second and miles I was still moving through the field, but still felt I was going too slow. I find it very hard to increase my pace during a race - whatever I start at, that's the fastest I'm going to go, until the finish line is in sight anyway. Last mile was tough, the last run up the hills really hurt, but I managed to pick up some speed on the last straight.
    Not a good race really, but a good tough workout.

5.57k in 33.43 (6.03 average)

Slow jog back home from the race. I'd forgotten that I live uphill from the park, but this reminded me :o

this month: 18/184.56
    this year: 49/486.41

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done today Ray, think I might have been standing beside you (or someone else from boards) at the start as I was close to the back as well, were you wearing a boards ac top? I was going top say hello but the race started about a second after I seen the top!

• Advertisement

Yes, that was me - think I was the only one in a boards top . (It's a little warm for summer races, but perfect for conditions like today)

Results are up - I finished in 28.07. Only 2 seconds slower per k than the last race (though I was hungover then :)), and up another grade. (144th of 288 :pac:)

The good news is that while I was slogging around, scraping into the top half by the skin of my teeth :pac:, my son was finishing his race 5th of 20 (?) in the under-10's 500m up in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done Ray. Was very windy today so a great result considering. Enjoy the rest this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Yes, that was me - think I was the only one in a boards top .

I spotted you today too but was too shy to come and say hello!

There's a good photo of you on racepix!

5.24k in 30.45 (5.52 average)

A bit tired this morning, only had time for a short recovery run anyway.

this month: 19/189.8
    this year: 50/491.65

don't know in don't know! (DON'T KNOW!!! average)

Left my watch at home this morning :(
    More or less 10k home, in about an hour :rolleyes:

On the good side, it's definitely getting brighter, it was daylight all the way home today

this month: 20/199.8
    this year: 51/501.65

9.61k in 50.40 (5.16 average)

Nice bright morning too :)

this month: 21/209.14
    this year: 52/511.26

16.64k in 87.11 (5.14 average)

Nice run this evening. Started with a 6k lap around UCD on the trail (cheers ecoli - I'd got as far as the Fosters Avenue exit before, but didn't realise there was a way through behind the residences), something I think I'll be doing again, then home.
    Left foot feels a bit odd now and again. Not even twinge-level, but sometimes I feel very aware of a section of the top of my foot, or my big toe. oh well....

this month: 22/225.78
    this year: 53/527.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

16.64k in 87.11 (5.14 average)

Nice run this evening. Started with a 6k lap around UCD on the trail (cheers ecoli - I'd got as far as the Fosters Avenue exit before, but didn't realise there was a way through behind the residences), something I think I'll be doing again, then home.
    Left foot feels a bit odd now and again. Not even twinge-level, but sometimes I feel very aware of a section of the top of my foot, or my big toe. oh well....

this month: 22/225.78
    this year: 53/527.9

For fcek sake, now I'll have to go out later...:D

10.9k in 52.42 (4.50 average)

Club session this evening
    A couple of k warmup, then 25 minutes of intervals - 200 fast, 100 slow (more or less, we're not running on a track). Afterwards some of the guys suggested 'jogging back the long way', which turned out to mean 4k+ at about 4.30 pace :rolleyes: :)

this month: 23/236.68
    this year: 54/538.8

8.69k in 49.24 (5.41 average)

Recovery run into work. Seem to be a bit phlegmy yesterday and today - the youngest has had a cough, which I hope she's not passing on to me...

this month: 24/245.37
    this year: 55/547.49

• Advertisement

23.24k in 2.02.17 (5.16 average)

Longish easy run. Chugged around the mud in Tymon Park, then popped over to Cherryfield to do the same there, including a lap of the hill route we use in the club. This brings me back over a 10k/day average, so I'm happy with that.
    Then up to Tallaght for the kids' races (passed Meno on the way up, running past the Spawell in a Donadea 50k top) to see the kid run in the 4x100m relay. Not such a good race today (they had a bit of trouble with the baton handover) but he was happy enough so I'm happy...

this month: 25/268.61
    this year: 56/570.73

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Then up to Tallaght for the kids' races (passed Meno on the way up, running past the Spawell in a Donadea 50k top) to see the kid run in the 4x100m relay.

Did you pass me on car or foot? I was running back from work in my first t-shirt + shorts combo of the year. Lovely weather for it. I may even have taken a bit of sun :D

I'd have said hello if I was on foot :)

23.24k in 2.02.17 (5.16 average)

Longish easy run. Chugged around the mud in Tymon Park, then popped over to Cherryfield to do the same there, including a lap of the hill route we use in the club. This brings me back over a 10k/day average, so I'm happy with that.
    Then up to Tallaght for the kids' races (passed Meno on the way up, running past the Spawell in a Donadea 50k top) to see the kid run in the 4x100m relay. Not such a good race today (they had a bit of trouble with the baton handover) but he was happy enough so I'm happy...

this month: 25/268.61
    this year: 56/570.73

What a shambles.
    We had 2 teams in the final for Emilys age group and they put team A in lane 2 and team B in lane 1 (that wasn't the problem though) the helper over at the first change over moved the team A girl into lane 1 and team B into lane 2 (he made one hell of an assumption). The race starts our girls get off to flyers and then a big mess at the change over that left them a good 30/40m off the lead. I was fuming.

under 9 girls? Bros Pearse would have crushed you anyway :cool:

(in fairness to the organisers, I was getting a headache just looking at it. Races starting every few minutes, different age groups, relays of different distances, kids so young they have to be set in place, all funnelling on and off the track :eek: )

under 9 girls? Bros Pearse would have crushed you anyway :cool:

(in fairness to the organisers, I was getting a headache just looking at it. Races starting every few minutes, different age groups, relays of different distances, kids so young they have to be set in place, all funnelling on and off the track :eek: )

U10 and I don't think SO :D

Don't get me wrong it was fantastic and that race was the only real error I spotted all day long. Really enjoyable. I just felt bad for our girls (few tears and all that)

Just watched a video of the final there and yous were very unlucky not to win. I think that decision could have gone either way.

That's the downside all right, if something goes wrong....

I'll bet there were hundreds of parents thinking like me "just don't drop the baton, don't drop the baton, DON'T DROP THE BATON!"

5.33k in 29.34 (5.33 average)

Recovery run. Warm out there today...

this month: 26/273.94
    this year: 57/576.06

15.04k in 78.35 (5.14 average)

loop around UCD and then home. Bit of a wind out there that I only noticed when I got off campus and started running into it. On the bright side, it was bright all the way home.

this month: 27/288.98
    this year: 58/591.1

• Advertisement

8.7k in 46.25 (5.20 average)

Easy run back into work.
    They were talking about an exercise on Marathon Talk the other day - close your eyes and stand on one leg while brushing your teeth, to improve core stability. I'm noting this here in case I am found dead in a freak bathroom accident. You'll know who to blame...

this month: 28/297.68
    this year: 59/599.8

Advertisement