Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

rescued 2 week old kitten

• 16-08-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

I recently rescued a kitten.I could hear him/her crying for over 24 hrs but I couldnt locate it.When I eventually did, all the siblings had passed away and he/she was the only survivor.There was no sign of a parent and the kitten was extreamly cold.
    I have worked out that its about 2 weeks old.It weighs 152g,which I think might be a little light but it have a good, strong cry.
    I'v warmed it up and got some royal caine kitten formula but I'm worried its not feeding enough.Its just about getting 5ml every 2-3hrs and also due to being in the cold for so long that it might have pneumonia.
    Its breathing seems ok,its mouth is closed when breathing but it does have a small "click".
    Its bowls are all working fine and its burping after meals

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I've had to rear tiny orphaned kittens before but 2 weeks is awfully young and you shouldn't be overly surprised if the kitten doesn't make it, things are really stacked against it. More knowledgeable people will be along very soon to help and I really do wish you well. If the kitten thrives and you are in a position to keep it yourself, you're in for a pretty wonderful relationship with your new baby. But until you get better advice than I can offer, warmth and careful feeding is pretty much all you can do for it, poor little mite. Good luck to you both. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

janmaree wrote: »
    I've had to rear tiny orphaned kittens before but 2 weeks is awfully young and you shouldn't be overly surprised if the kitten doesn't make it, things are really stacked against it. More knowledgeable people will be along very soon to help and I really do wish you well. If the kitten thrives and you are in a position to keep it yourself, you're in for a pretty wonderful relationship with your new baby. But until you get better advice than I can offer, warmth and careful feeding is pretty much all you can do for it, poor little mite. Good luck to you both. :)
    Iv hand rared a few things over the years but this fellas seems very small.It seems quite strong but these things can go bad so far and Im just a tad worried about what damage would have been done before I found it.Fingers crossed it will work out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try and ring a vet and ask for advice, even better bring the kitty to the vet, it might need special formula - maybe with more calories/ more nutrients than the one you've been giving him - and maybe even antibiotics... poor kitty...

I'm not sure if there are any cat/animal rescue places in Ireland, but there may be a few in the UK, it might be worth looking them up on the internet, they may be able to give you some extra information. Depending on where you are based, the Blue Cross and/ or the ISPCA could give you some assistance too...

Fair play for being a good human being!

New Home wrote: »
    Try and ring a vet and ask for advice, even better bring the kitty to the vet, it might need special formula - maybe with more calories/ more nutrients than the one you've been giving him - and maybe even antibiotics... poor kitty...

I'm not sure if there are any cat/animal rescue places in Ireland, but there may be a few in the UK, it might be worth looking them up on the internet, they may be able to give you some extra information. Depending on where you are based, the Blue Cross and/ or the ISPCA could give you some assistance too...

Fair play for being a good human being!
    I rang the vet and he wasnt much help,had more of a "dont get your hopes up" attitude.I did get the food he recommended.I suppose there is'nt much more I can do.:(
    photo_zps636eed1c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

GIZMOOOOOOO!!!!!! Soooo cute...

The Vet seems quite heartless... And extremely unhelpful.:(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Hope the kitten makes it - best of luck OP.

tk123 wrote: »
    Iv done pretty much everything recommend in that tread apart from the bread thing but I don't know if that's such a good idea.If he/she makes it over the next few days hopefully it will pull through.Well we just had a weigh in and were up 4g from this morning,so that's something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

*follows thread*

From the photo s/he seems to be in pretty good form, considering what's s/he's gone through, so you seem to be doing a great job - and I agree, I don't think the bread thing is a great idea, at least when s/he's still sooo very young.

I'm probably going to state the obvious, here, but if you want to know if it's a boy or a girl, it's pretty easy even at this early age, just check him/her from the tummy side instead of from the back, it's much easier this way when s/he's so young - if it's a boy his genitals will look like a little mound at the bottom of his tummy, whereas if it's a girl you won't see anything.

Sending good old hippy vibes your way - we're rooting for you kitten!

• Advertisement

From the photo s/he seems to be in pretty good form, considering what's s/he's gone through, so you seem to be doing a great job - and I agree, I don't think the bread thing is a great idea, at least when s/he's still sooo very young.

I'm probably going to state the obvious, here, but if you want to know if it's a boy or a girl, it's pretty easy even at this early age, just check him/her from the tummy side instead of from the back, it's much easier this way when s/he's so young - if it's a boy his genitals will look like a little mound at the bottom of his tummy, whereas if it's a girl you won't see anything.

Sending good old hippy vibes your way - we're rooting for you kitten!
    It was a bit of a ropey one last night.He didnt sleep much and wasn't eating alot with alot of crying.He seems to fall asleep when feeding and doesn't suckle enough.Iv tried keeping him awake by blowing in his ear.Hes only get 1-3ml in at a time.Im not sure if that's enough

Poor mite, and poor you, I guess you didn't get much sleep either. I do hope he's not actually sick, poor little thing...

I suppose he has a tiny stomach, so maybe he needs even more frequent feeds with small amounts, and if he's feeling poorly he probably doesn't feel as hungry, much like ourselves, but I can see why you are concerned.

Having said that, he might be sucking just for comfort, that could be why he falls asleep while feeding... Are you holding him most of the time, or have you put him in a box? Being so tiny he'd need some physical contact with his mother (or you, in this case). Something else that could possibly help if you don't want to hold him all the time are a hot water bottle in a blankie/pillowcase/cushion cover -just make sure it's not too hot -, and an old fashioned alarm clock (the ones that make a loudish ticking sound, but I don't know if you have one), they mimick their mother's heartbeat and body warmth, and might make him settle a bit more.

Let us know how he's doing during the day, please...

Poor mite, and poor you, I guess you didn't get much sleep either. I do hope he's not actually sick, poor little thing...

I suppose he has a tiny stomach, so maybe he needs even more frequent feeds with small amounts, and if he's feeling poorly he probably doesn't feel as hungry, much like ourselves, but I can see why you are concerned.

Having said that, he might be sucking just for comfort, that could be why he falls asleep while feeding... Are you holding him most of the time, or have you put him in a box? Being so tiny he'd need some physical contact with his mother (or you, in this case). Something else that could possibly help if you don't want to hold him all the time are a hot water bottle in a blankie/pillowcase/cushion cover -just make sure it's not too hot -, and an old fashioned alarm clock (the ones that make a loudish ticking sound, but I don't know if you have one), they mimick their mother's heartbeat and body warmth, and might make him settle a bit more.

Let us know how he's doing during the day, please...
    I think Ill just be more regimental with the feedings and keep it to every 3 hours.As for sleeping and feeding,hes in my hands and sleeps with me or with a t-shirt of mine wrapped around a hot water bottle and a soft blanket.I got a good feed into him there so lets hope it works out.ill throw up a few more pictures if things pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I really hope he pulls through for you. It's a good thing you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

damagegt wrote: »
    I think Ill just be more regimental with the feedings and keep it to every 3 hours.As for sleeping and feeding,hes in my hands and sleeps with me or with a t-shirt of mine wrapped around a hot water bottle and a soft blanket.I got a good feed into him there so lets hope it works out.ill throw up a few more pictures if things pick up

Oh I so wish there were more people like you in this world. Fair play to you for giving up so much of your time for this little innocent creature.

I've been through it myself a few times and it sounds to me like your over the 1st hurdle and that is getting it used to suck from a bottle. It will only drink what it needs so dont get too frustrated if she/he doesnt drink too much on one of the feeds.
    The kitten is a fighter thats for sure. The only one still alive.

Good luck and as another poster says keep us updated, because there are others that will be reading this thread in the not too distant future that will learn and help save more of these kittens lives.

P.S. Judging by the colour of the kitten it looks to be a female. But its hard to say. If it has 3 different shades of colour it is most likely a female. See number 18 of link
    http://www.cfainc.org/breeders/catcolorsgenetics/basicfelinegenetics.aspx

Iv no idea of the sex.I went looking for "lumps" but I haven't a clue what I was looking at .Feeding isn't going so bad,Im just worried about the amounts,1-3mls every 2hrs.He seems strong and is still gaining weight.My only experience of feeding a kitten this small is of what I'm reading online.So the more info people have for me the better.

Could someone help me out with the formula.When I make a batch of 20ml,can I feed some and the refrigerate the rest and use it later or am I best of making a fresh batch each time ? There wasn't to much info on the box.

You should be able to refrigerate it for a few hours, it should be reconstituted milk after all, just don't make too big of a batch and obviously bring it to room temp at least before feeding it to the little one. I'll check the Royal Canin website for you and get back to you.

Male
    pippo2906.jpg
    ciccio.jpg

Female
    51798_14307_a-pancia-all-aria.jpg
    TG+gatto-nel-sonno.jpg <-- Not very clear but it looks like a girl from here...

I found a "feeding table" which might come in handy - I assume that the type of formula you have - not sure if that information was already on the box or not.

You should be able to refrigerate it for a few hours, it should be reconstituted milk after all, just don't make too big of a batch and obviously bring it to room temp at least before feeding it to the little one. I'll check the Royal Canin website for you and get back to you.
    ok,im not going far wrong so.By the looks of the pictures she could be female.

• Advertisement

I found a "feeding table" which might come in handy - I assume that the type of formula you have - not sure if that information was already on the box or not.
    Thanks for that.Its so rediculous to not include that with the product.

Don't get to hung up on the amounts she is feeding, as long as she's drinking small and frequent amounts is always a good sign, its when she stops feeding completely is when you get worried.
    she's putting on weight, your doing great!

Don't get to hung up on the amounts she is feeding, as long as she's drinking small and frequent amounts is always a good sign, its when she stops feeding completely is when you get worried.
    she's putting on weight, your doing great!
    I think I just paniced a bit since he didn't feed as much as the first night but that was probably from not feeding in the 24 hrs.Heres a few more photos.I keep him in the collar of an old top when Im moving about the house,don't worry he cant fall out unless he suddenly learns to jump
    photo2_zps86f8ad46.jpg
    photo1_zps110929b8.jpg
    photo4_zps07b5bb83.jpg
    photo5_zpsd7c6266d.jpg

S/He's sooooo gorgeous... You do realise that that will become his/her favourite place even when s/he's big, don't you? Good luck trying to get anything done, from now on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

be careful if you are reheating the milk especially with a microwave

it may heat unevenly - feel cold on the outside and be really hot in the centre

gctest50 wrote: »
    be careful if you are reheating the milk especially with a microwave

it may heat unevenly - feel cold on the outside and be really hot in the centre
    Its ok,its all been heated using a container of hot water

That looks like some ginger running through her coat in the 2nd pic. if it is its a female torti. male tortis are as rare as hens teeth and are nearly always sterile.

Could be,of the two others that were dead when I found him,one was the same as this guy and the other was nearly all black and red with very small white flecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

That looks like some ginger running through her coat in the 2nd pic. if it is its a female torti. male tortis are as rare as hens teeth and are nearly always sterile.

Not to mention they're insane! I have one and he's a lunatic.

Beautiful kitten OP and good on you for taking him/her on. Fingers crossed all goes well for ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Put a ticking watch in the blankets with her, it will help like a heart beat. Feed as you are. I would weigh everyday at night and check that kitten is gaining. We weigh kittens for weeks just to keep an eye. If you can get nutridrops they are handy to have if kitten needs a bit of a boost.

Advertisement