Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hitachi 42 inch lcd full hd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭sk282

I think they are giving vouchers also when you buy a tv, I can't remember the exact details but it was different amounts for different price ranges. I am not sure also if this model is included but it sounds like a good deal even without the voucher...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

Just checked several stores and it's out of stock

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

very tempting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 roverseire

i booked one in arklow on hold till saturday but got one today and did not use the number when i asked for a customer view, pm for reservation number

• Registered Users Posts: 19,792 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

is this a good television ? my own tele is acting up a bit and was thinking about purchasing if something good and cheap was on sale

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

roverseire wrote: »
    i booked one in arklow on hold till saturday but got one today and did not use the number when i asked for a customer view, pm for reservation number

any chance you know the model no. on the TV?

It has gotten pretty good reviews from what ive read.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5295889/Trail/searchtext%3EHITACHI+42.htm

Model number is l42vc04u

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I just bought one. Going to set it up after the England game. I'll let you know my initial thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just bought one. Going to set it up after the England game. I'll let you know my initial thoughts.

??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Does it have a MPEG4 Compatible Digital Tuner as we need this to be able to Watch RTE Digital

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

martin12 wrote: »
    Does it have a MPEG4 Compatible Digital Tuner as we need this to be able to Watch RTE Digital

Not a real deal breaker if you've a Skybox or are connected to a digital service. :)

Oh but there is Samsung & LG 42in Plasma's with MPEG4 600Hz 499 euro

Even PC World is Cheaper than Argos and that say's alot

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    ??

haha

Sorry. I plugged the PS3 into the TV and there went the afternoon.

My initial feelings are pretty positive. Doesn't feel like a sub-e500 TV. Might be able to get the LG somewhere else for that but I think I'm going to be pretty happy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Some people may prefer these but few would claim the excellence you get when buying a decent panasonic plasma apply when buying a 500€ LG or Samsung plasma. Keep in mind that screen burn may be a problem on these, they are not Full HD(Many would argue that they are not even HD ready with their resolution of 1024x768) , they will struggle for brightness in a bright room and they will consume more power than an lcd.

Motion clarity will be better alright but it wouldnt be terrible on that 42" LG lcd either, remember up until a couple of years we never really had many 100Hz sets so bear in mind we are well used to 50Hz.

BTW,. that LG does have a DTT tuner, and it would definitely be a better panel than the one behind the Hitachi

• Registered Users Posts: 37 turlach

Hey man where is this? Moving into a new house with the girlfriend and i'm loukin for something massive. A 42" will do the trick...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭the corpo

any further opinions on this one? the inlaws are after a new tv, thought this might suit

I bought it after and have no issues what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

You're not comparing like with like, find me a 42" LCD for €489 and come back.
    I bought one of these for the Xbox and it's a very good tv for the price.

• Advertisement

the corpo wrote: »
    any further opinions on this one? the inlaws are after a new tv, thought this might suit

More than happy with it. I'm in the UK this weekend and am having 42" withdrawal symptoms :(

My plasma just gave up, and I'm broke:(

Can anyone give me any reason why I shouldn't buy this Hitachi? Max budget is 500, not a cent over....is this the deal I've been looking for?

Thanks

cojomo2 wrote: »
    My plasma just gave up, and I'm broke:(

Can anyone give me any reason why I shouldn't buy this Hitachi? Max budget is 500, not a cent over....is this the deal I've been looking for?

Thanks
    What was your plasma and how did you like it? You could get another plasma for under 500€ too and if you're used to plasma and like it, then i recommend you stick with it, rather than switch to lcd, and you'd be switching to a pretty poor lcd if you get the hitachi

Do you know of richersounds? They have a forum here on boards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66153862&postcount=7

The plasma mentioned here would be a far better set than that hitachi IMHO and although the €uro has gotten weaker versus sterling since that post, i'm still pretty sure it'd be less than 500€ delivered

Zonda999 wrote: »
    What was your plasma and how did you like it? You could get another plasma for under 500€ too and if you're used to plasma and like it, then i recommend you stick with it, rather than switch to lcd, and you'd be switching to a pretty poor lcd if you get the hitachi

Do you know of richersounds? They have a forum here on boards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66153862&postcount=7

The plasma mentioned here would be a far better set than that hitachi IMHO and although the €uro has gotten weaker versus sterling since that post, i'm still pretty sure it'd be less than 500€ delivered

Thanks for the feedback.

My current tv is 42" Philips plasma, cost well over a grand, and only lasted just over 4 years.

conclusion: I'm not pushed on another plasma, or a Philips for that matter!

I just though that Hitachi sounded good value as its full HD, no?

Although, I notice that the contrast ratio is only 1400:1, is that going to be a problem? Seems very low...Apart from that the spec look good for the price..

Well its "good value" , well kind of i would say, to be honest i would expect any lcd over 40" to be full hd at this stage. That would give it an advantage over the hd ready plasma in some area's, i guess but not that many really. What is your watching mainly made up of? gaming, SD tv, HD tv? This should always be taken into account at any budget.

Yes, that contrast ratio is very low and i would expect the black level on this set to be very poor, i would expect images on this to look poorer than on you philips plasma, the lg plasma would do better blacks and better contrast than you philips plasma, and it would do other things better too, motion being the most important one, the hitachi is only a 50hz lcd so it wont handle motion well and that will be apparent at 42". The LG on the other hand will do a far better job, hand down, and seeing as you old philips was a plasma, you will notice this deterioration if you switch to that particular lcd.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

is this still good value at €479.99?
    Seems to be in stock everywhere and it's been on offer for a while!
    I read on another forum that Argos got the rights to plaster the Hitachi logo on anything like say a generic cheap tv...

Prices on these things come down and down all the time so I don't know how much value it is. But four months down the line I've got no complaints at all with this set. I'm very happy with it.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Prices on these things come down and down all the time
    Yup, I woulda thought it would have dropped by more by now! Still seems the cheapest 42" in a bricks & mortar shop.

babo9 wrote: »
    Yup, I woulda thought it would have dropped by more by now! Still seems the cheapest 42" in a bricks & mortar shop.

Price has now gone up to 530!

• Advertisement
Advertisement