Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro St Brigids 5k Dublin city centre - March 18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Sorry to hear Thomas didn't hold on. He was running well and looked good at 4K. Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

4 stars (good)
    Did it in about 21.37 going by my watch which I was pretty happy with but about 15 seconds slower than I did it last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

4 stars (good)
    23:45 by my watch for me today. Only did this once before - in 2010 - and did it in 26 something, so a lot better today. Congestion at the start the only drawback, and most of that is my problem for starting too far back as usual. Great race, love the route and the chocolate mikado afterwards were only massive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Great race - I love being given the opportunity to run in the city centre! The helpful marshalls, strong encouragement from spectators and the nice weather all made this race very enjoyable. Well done to the organisers!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

3 stars (average)
    Results are up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Caprica

4 stars (good)
    A great race, very well organised, great atmosphere, good support and it's always great to be able to run in the city centre. A definite 5 star race.

Got home in a new PB of 17:33, didn't think I was going to get one but worked really hard in the last K. Found it a bit windy in places.

3 stars (average)
    I really enjoyed today's race. I managed to shave 31 seconds off my UCD 5k time so am very happy ... of course at this stage of my running career every race is probably going to be a PB! :D Hope everyone had a good race and enjoyed themselves.

There were lots of things I really liked about this race:
    • It was quick and hassle-free to pick up my race number.
    • There were lavish amounts of choccie biccies and a nice cuppa afterwards.
    • I didn't check my watch but I think we started on time. It definitely didn't feel like there was endless hanging around.
    • Results went up quite quickly
    • I liked the music and having the face painters etc
    • Fab to run through the streets of Dublin esp on St Patrick's weekend.
    • Km markers were very clear and the marshals did a great job. I really liked them calling out the times although it made me think I was going slower as I started from the back of the pack. But that just made for a nice surprise when I saw the results.:)
    • They did a cracking job of organising the weather, it felt perfect!

There were a few things that I would have liked to be done differently:
    • For someone like me who is new to this race (and races in general) it would have been really helpful to have information on the website about the practicalities e.g. picking up race pack/goodie bag, facilities available, route map. Fortunately the folks here told me what I need to know but I met some confused Americans who couldn't understand why the info wasn't published beforehand and I don't think it would be hard to do.
    • Just a personal thing but I much preferred the UCD Rás goodie bag - that organic cotton bag itself is great and I use it all the time whereas the plastic bag won't get a lot of use before it dies. And I preferred the fruit rather than sugary stuff. Wish I had thought to look in the bag before I got home as I'm sure I could have found someone there to take them! On the positive side though, it was a generous goodie bag and I'm sure most people loved it.
    • Not fussed on the t-shirt, can't see myself ever wearing it. Much prefer a coloured one to white background as all my sports bras would show through the white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    Great race. PB for me so I cant complain.

The only slight complaint i would have is that they have had the exact same tshirt numerous years in a row now. Not even a different date on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

4 stars (good)
    Fantastic race, well done to MSBAC. PB for me, delighted !

Are the results based on gun time ? Mine's about 10 seconds off my watch time so just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Are the results based on gun time ? Mine's about 10 seconds off my watch time so just wondering.

The times online are chip time. Did you start your watch exactly as you went over the mat? Mine is (sadly) only a second different from my stopwatch.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    The times online are chip time. Did you start your watch exactly as you went over the mat? Mine is (sadly) only a second different from my stopwatch.

Thought I did but might have stopped it too early in the excitement of getting to the finish line in one piece :o. Oh well, still a PB, just a bit less of one!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OldieWilson

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Yeah mine was also 10 seconds off. Maybe just started at the wrong point though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

4 stars (good)
    Think the results online are gun rather than chip time because my time on the website is 30 secs slower than my watch. Think Rainbow Kirby's is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

The results are always based initially on gun time as per IAAF Rule 165. I usually wait a short time before we produce the chip times as it gives us time to check them and id those who did not go to the start line, there were 6 of them today.

I have just sent the results to MSB with chip time attached so they will appear soon as.

The results are always based initially on gun time as per IAAF Rule 165. I usually wait a short time before we produce the chip times as it gives us time to check them and id those who did not go to the start line, there were 6 of them today.

I have just sent the results to MSB with chip time attached so they will appear soon as.

Oh my bad, I was sure they were chip as mine was so close to my watch time. LOok fwd to seeing the real results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    Confused I am, so the real chip times arent on the website yet?

3 stars (average)
    I'm confused too! What's a gun time? :o And does anyone know how long it takes to get the real time (whatever that is!)?

Edit: Oh, and only 855 people are listed, I thought there were more than that in the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Gun time is how long it takes from the starting gun going off to you crossing the finish line.

Chip time is the time between you crossing the start line and you crossing the finish line.

Gun time is the official time. The race organisers are mainly concerned about finishing order, because that's what is used for prizes - who was first man, first woman, first M40, where did the members of a team finish etc. They can stand at the finish line and see all this for themselves, without relying on chips (that might not work). If you start at the back of the race, run faster than all the other runners, but cross the finish line behind the winner - well, that's your own fault. your chip time won't get you a prize.

But for most of us, who aren't going to win the race, and aren't starting at the very front, chip time is more important.

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Gun time is how long it takes from the starting gun going off to you crossing the finish line.

Chip time is the time between you crossing the start line and you crossing the finish line.

Gun time is the official time. The race organisers are mainly concerned about finishing order, because that's what is used for prizes - who was first man, first woman, first M40, where did the members of a team finish etc. They can stand at the finish line and see all this for themselves, without relying on chips (that might not work). If you start at the back of the race, run faster than all the other runners, but cross the finish line behind the winner - well, that's your own fault. your chip time won't get you a prize.

But for most of us, who aren't going to win the race, and aren't starting at the very front, chip time is more important.

Thanks! I don't think I'll ever need to worry about my gun time but nice to know what it means anyway.

4 stars (good)
    Edit: Oh, and only 855 people are listed, I thought there were more than that in the race?[/QUOTE]

Possible reason for this is because those who signed up for the family deal just got one chip between them so you could have had 4 people running but just one time showing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

4 stars (good)
    Great organisation again by MSBAC, was a spectator with family member running

Chip times not yet up

There were significantly less runners this year, almost certainly due to the fact that today is a Bank Holiday (was given this reason by an MSBAC Marshall also)

http://www.msbac.ie/images/Results/Provisional2011.pdf (for race numbers)

Anyone know if the the elderly lady who was knocked flat at the start of the run, directly outside The Mansion House, was OK? We never saw her finish and waited til the end (hopefully we just missed her). Another runner cut her off completely by running across her when she they saw their family with cameras :confused:

Just clarify the first set of results are always gun time ie from gun shot until you cross the finish line. Chip times are not official and cannot be regarded as such as per IAAF Rule 165.

Re entrants there were just short of 1000 chipped entrants and the others were families, walkers and kids who were not chipped or timed.

I've just posted the results with chip times on my site www.championchipireland.com

3 stars (average)
    Yippee!!!! Even better time than I could have hoped for! Interesting to see how many people with slower chip times placed ahead of me ... well I did start at the back on purpose, didn't want to hold anyone up but then ended up a bit stuck myself.

Very sorry to hear about that woman who got knocked over and hope she's ok and was able to race.

Am now compulsively trying to find my next race, this racing stuff is like heroin! :-)

Loving your work championchip :D PB for me afterall, I thought my watch was bag on but hurrah it wasn't :) 20 secs off rathfarnham.
    gnu wrote: »
    Yippee!!!! Even better time than I could have hoped for! Interesting to see how many people with slower chip times placed ahead of me ... well I did start at the back on purpose, didn't want to hold anyone up but then ended up a bit stuck myself.

Very sorry to hear about that woman who got knocked over and hope she's ok and was able to race.

Am now compulsively trying to find my next race, this racing stuff is like heroin! :-)

Cheaper & better for the health though gnu! well done on exceeding your own expectations!

3 stars (average)
    Loving your work championchip :D PB for me afterall, I thought my watch was bag on but hurrah it wasn't :) 20 secs off rathfarnham.

Cheaper & better for the health though gnu! well done on exceeding your own expectations!

Thanks a mill, I am thrilled even though I'd say I'm half the speed of you guys! And congratulations on your PB!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    gnu wrote: »

The Lottery race series is very good value, and a nice progression of distances for a beginner - 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon. 65 euro for all four, and a technical t-shirt with each one.

I am hoping to get the nod for the Series this year after the diffs experienced with the Italians last few times. Its down to me and one other GB based company.

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    The Lottery race series is very good value, and a nice progression of distances for a beginner - 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon. 65 euro for all four, and a technical t-shirt with each one.
    Thanks Ray, that's a really good deal. I'm not sure I'll be able for the 2 longer ones but definitely interested in the first 2. Hope I can find something sooner though ... don't want to get withdrawal symptoms! :D Am thinking of the Great Ireland Run in April but not sure I'll be ready for 10k in time as my longest run so far is just over 7km.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

4 stars (good)
    I would rate most club races higher then the likes of the national lotto race series, most big commercial races as such tend to be forced to compromise in the course etc due to their size, and then there's the hassle of parking/overcrowding etc. There are plenty of 5k club races coming up over the next few months, in the Kidare/Wicklow/Meath area, my own club holds a fit4life series, and the next two races are both 5ks http://www.slicualann.com/fit4life-league.html, only 5quid entry also! (don't expect a goodiebag/tshirt tho ha!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

4 stars (good)
    claralara wrote: »
    I'm defo in! Have big 5k race demons to lay to rest!

Done and done!

Previous 5k PB was 24:18 from a horrendous and painful race last May. An attempt to do sub 22:30 at the Rathfarnham 5k last September resulted in me blowing up after a 7:26 first mile and crawling over the line in agony at about 26:30. Absolutely delighted to be able to put that one behind me. Onwards and upwards! :D

Name - Predicted - Actual
    ClaraLara - 21:30 - 20:29
    Timmaay - 16:30 -
    RayCun - 19.10 -
    Rainbow Kirby - 23.00 -
    digger - 21.29
    Cleanman - 18:39
    Dr. Quirkey- 17:02

Great race. Will definitely be back next year.

Advertisement