Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

• 04-01-2012 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭

Please use this thread for off topic chat about how our babies/toddlers are progressing and how us parents are doing ourselves!

Happy chatting!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You could rename this 'The Lack of Sleep' thread :)
    Ye gods, I'm a zombie.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

thanks January! :)

'lack of sleep' thread is befitting - although after 5 weeks, it is slowly getting better - we're getting stretches of 4 hours every night! Little one was feeding HOURLY for a while - pretty much day and night. I was going cracked. Much better now though ;-)

another couple of days, and I will FINALLY be able to drive again - been stuck in the sticks for 6 weeks, just the cats and a newborn for company, with awful weather to boot, has seriously affected my sanity...I thought the pregnancy hormones turned me into a cow, but sleep-deprivation and cabin fever turned the witch-levels up another notch. surprised hubby hasnt left me yet for a better life in Cuba or somewhere ;-)

would still like to know the official line on the 6 weeks driving thing after a section - doctor just said I shouldnt for a while, but couldnt really give me a plausible medical reason. Couldnt find anything about not being allowed to drive in my car insurance contract either - is this just a myth per chance?

hope all ye new mothers are also doing mighty - would be nice to see this thread as a continuation from the 'pregnancy' thread and/or the moan thread ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Not doing so well over here, the little lady has a viral infection unfortunately. In other news when I asked her today what she wanted for lunch she replied with 'duck'!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Hey guys!

Thanks January for this! I really wanted to be able to talk to ye guys still and not be hi-jacking the pregnancy thread! And like Galah I wasn't sure about starting a new thread here.

Little Rebecca is settling in nicely. Sleeps enough anyway, though I'd prefer if most of it was done at night instead of during the day which is the way it is at the moment.

And we've hardly had a moment to ourselves. My mum and dad were here for a few days and then my older bro and his fiancee and then my sis and her kids are visiting at the moment (in the evening after they've done their play-time). I don't begrudge them but I would like some time with himself and our little babby before his 16 yr old comes home from his holidays - which happens tomorrow so I won't really get it. Ah well, we had the weekend I suppose! :D

Sitting is still a little difficult. I find the front of my lady parts gets a little numb and tingly. PHN comes tomorrow so I'll ask her then if this is normal (though if anyone else has experienced the same, let me know!).

Now that the excitement of having a baby is over (hah!) I've got a wedding to organise! Whoo!Hoo! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

galah wrote: »

another couple of days, and I will FINALLY be able to drive again - been stuck in the sticks for 6 weeks, just the cats and a newborn for company, with awful weather to boot, has seriously affected my sanity...I thought the pregnancy hormones turned me into a cow, but sleep-deprivation and cabin fever turned the witch-levels up another notch. surprised hubby hasnt left me yet for a better life in Cuba or somewhere ;-)

would still like to know the official line on the 6 weeks driving thing after a section - doctor just said I shouldnt for a while, but couldnt really give me a plausible medical reason. Couldnt find anything about not being allowed to drive in my car insurance contract either - is this just a myth per chance?

This one is because the muscles aren't strong enough and if you have to break hard you could really injure yourself or cause a bad accident.
    nicowa wrote: »

Little Rebecca is settling in nicely. Sleeps enough anyway, though I'd prefer if most of it was done at night instead of during the day which is the way it is at the moment.

This one will get better too, she just has day and night mixed up, it will sort itself out in a week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks, Januarary, didnt want to be ruining the birth stories thread either with comments, but now I've forgoten what I was going to say. Glad to hear every one is surviving, really brings it back to me. You really do forget the endless presents coming the door and cards you forget to reply to. I still have Thank You cards for last time, but need some stamps.

I never minded visitors as I was up all night talking to myself so I was glad to have another adult during the day. We'll see this time....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i'm going to make myself very unpopular and let you know my 12 week old is sleeping through...10.30pm til 8.30-9am..:eek: can't quite believe it myself :D
    he does have a midnight dreamfeed, he started weaning about 7 weeks cos he wasn't thriving and we soon had to move him up to the hungry baby formula... he's such an easy baby thank god cos i had to go back to work at 6 weeks.. his big brother absolutely adores him..
    thanks for the thread January.. ;)

cbyrd wrote: »
    i'm going to make myself very unpopular and let you know my 12 week old is sleeping through...10.30pm til 8.30-9am..:eek: can't quite believe it myself :D
    he does have a midnight dreamfeed, he started weaning about 7 weeks cos he wasn't thriving and we soon had to move him up to the hungry baby formula... he's such an easy baby thank god cos i had to go back to work at 6 weeks.. his big brother absolutely adores him..
    thanks for the thread January.. ;)

Does that mean my twelve week old is actually 13 weeks old? What date was O born again? Ellen is sleeping from between 7/8pm until 3/4am and then back down until 7/8am depending on what time she feeds at night, she goes straight back down after a feed, she burps when I swaddle her up haha. She's definitely the easiest baby by far for me.

Edit - just checked, yes my daughter is in fact 13 weeks old, bad mammy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Brilliant idea for a thread!!
    Great to hear the new mammies are all getting on so well :)

Was anyone else watching 'One born every minute' omg floods of tears here watching it! When I watch this program not pregnant it does not phase me an iota, watching it pregnant and I dissolve into tears. So exciting/scarey knowing it'll me me going through it in a few short months! (Minus the cameras :D )

OMG Cbyrd/January, can't believe your little baba's are 12/13 weeks already :eek: where has that time gone?!
    Love the new pics of both on fb, they're as cute :) great to see they're both getting on well with their siblings too.

We got R a baby doll for Christmas to get her used to the idea of having a little baba in the house soon. She alternates between kissing it to bits, swinging it around my the arm, giving out to it and dancing with it (oh and using its arm to wave bye bye :P) so new baby might have to be wrapped in cotton wool/bubble wrap to keep them safe from her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

January wrote: »
    Does that mean my twelve week old is actually 13 weeks old? What date was O born again? Ellen is sleeping from between 7/8pm until 3/4am and then back down until 7/8am depending on what time she feeds at night, she goes straight back down after a feed, she burps when I swaddle her up haha. She's definitely the easiest baby by far for me.

Edit - just checked, yes my daughter is in fact 13 weeks old, bad mammy :o

Hahaha... yes O was 12 weeks yesterday... maybe we're just getting the hang of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Congrats to the new mummies! Cbyrd, remember you from the pregnancy thread last year! Your little guy is doing great. My little man is 4 months old today, I can hardly believe it. All I can say is it really does get easier, he goes to bed now around 8/8.30 and sleeps 12 hours. Teeth have begun to bother him now, he's drooling for Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Hi all, great to hear how people are getting on. My boy is 6 months now and had his first scrambled egg today, so proud! He usually sleeps from about 10pm til 8am......most nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Oh guys we are stuck in the middle of the 3 hours feeds at the moment.. Baba is 4 weeks tomorrow and is a very hungry wee boy... Am wall-falling today...

Will talk to the doc at the 6 week check up about putting him on the hungry baby food. He is quite hard for me to burp but as soon as his daddy picks him up he does his burps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

Hope it's ok for dads to post here too ...

Baby punk who's 12 weeks tomorrow was also born by c-section. The thing is no one in the hospital mentioned the not driving thing to us, seems like you're assumed to know it anyway. As it happens we did and friends and family mentioned it too. GP said see how it goes and take it easy, think the actual 6 weeks is a bit arbitrary though. Wife was back driving about 5 weeks, short local trips with care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

I was told it was an insurance issue and that you were not insured for the 6 weeks.

You're not insured for 6 weeks after any general anaesthetic- same for men and women. I wouldn't have thought many C sections were under general though?

that's the thing - i can see why you're a bit weak a couple of days after surgery - but 6 weeks????? and no general anaesthetic. as i said, my gp couldnt tell me why 6 weeks or why exactly i couldnt drive after say 2 weeks or so. and there was defo nothing in my policy papers - must ring the insurance and find out exactly...

my 6 weeks are up thankfully, but it is a bit stupid...- especially cause this sort of thing is unheard of back home (none of my 'sectioned' friends and a friend who works as a maternity nurse had heard of that rule...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The '6 week' wait thing is a bit of a urban legend. I had my boy by section in the US and they've never heard of it. I was back driving 5 days later (although I probably reecovered quicker than many).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I didn't feel able to drive til at least 4 weeks after my section. Living half way up the mountains meant I went a bit crazy not being able to get out as well!

Little man is 16 weeks on Saturday and doing good overall. Had him weight again today though, and he hasn't put on any weight in two weeks :( Think it's a a combination of having a good dose of sniffles, being so out of routine and unsettled running all over the place over Christmas and New years, and getting his tongue tie snipped so adjusting to feeding in a new way, starting to teethe.... At least that's what I'm hoping! Really I feel a bit crap about it, but I'm not going to worry until I go back and get him weighed again next week.

Can't believe it's a year ago tomorrow that I found out I was pregnant and started reading the pregnancy forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

liliq I believe in the motto 'watch the baby not the weight.' Illness and tongue tie procedure aside if he's a happy chappy in general with wet nappies then dont get too caught up about weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Smccarrick that's really interesting to know about the insurance respect of having anaesthetic. My husband had keyhole surgery a few years ago, same thing was told he couldn't drive for 6 weeks, but was fine to drive within a week.
    Kind of scarey to realise he may not have been covered by his insurer had he had an accident :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

smccarrick wrote: »
    You're not insured for 6 weeks after any general anaesthetic- same for men and women. I wouldn't have thought many C sections were under general though?

Sorry to jump in here in a thread where I don't belong but is that definitely correct, where is that written, in the small print of the policies or what? Is that not more to do with not being able to press a brake suddenly after operations such as C Section or Hip Replacement etc, moreso than the GA? If this were the case I wouldn't have been able to drive for 6 weeks after I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed in hospital under GA, whereas I was fit to go back to work within a week, which required driving. It was never mentioned, just that I wasn't to drive the day I was released. I wouldn't advise everyone to take this as a given but would love to know the definite answer.

Also liliq my baby cousin recently had tongue tie procedure, he was very underweight when they finally performed it and didn't gain weight for the weeks after it at all, it took quite a bit of time. Now two months later he is more than making up for it! :)

Smccarrick that's really interesting to know about the insurance respect of having anaesthetic. My husband had keyhole surgery a few years ago, same thing was told he couldn't drive for 6 weeks, but was fine to drive within a week.
    Kind of scarey to realise he may not have been covered by his insurer had he had an accident :eek:

Yes, I was the same- I was under general for surgery in early December. I was driving the following day (unhappily, but driving nonetheless). Technically, I'm still not supposed to be driving- despite a return Dublin to Galway trip and about 50 miles a day- my usual.

My New Years resolution is that my little wifey is going to learn how to drive- it'll be great for taking our two to and from the creche, and then school- not to mention the independence it'll give her......

Speaking of bringing our two out, think I'm going to have to get the bigger car seat- have to explore what goes on the isofix base we have.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hi guys, a quick question if you dont mind -

my 2 month old had his 6 -1 jab today and has been unsettled since, he has been crying on and off and wont sleep even though he is exhausted.

any ideas on what to do. (apart from us trying everything already:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Thanks for that Acoshla :)
    I figured it might take him a bit of time to adjust to feeding differently.

How Strange- I do agree about watch the baby not the weight, he's definitely a happy baby, sleeping well, definitely feeding and all that, it's just a bit disheartening. It's an extra bit of validation when you can see if on the scales as well, even if it's just a couple of ounces! :)
    hi guys, a quick question if you dont mind -

my 2 month old had his 6 -1 jab today and has been unsettled since, he has been crying on and off and wont sleep even though he is exhausted.

any ideas on what to do. (apart from us trying everything already:))

All I can suggest is calpol and cuddles :(
    I was lucky that my little man was pretty knocked out by them and slept most of the day. The nurse that did them told me she advises people to give them calpol half an hour before hand so that it has a chance to start working before they get the shots.
    My guy was pretty much back to his usual self the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I very much doubt that six week thing is anything other than an urban myth, has anyone ever actually seen it written down in an insurance policy anywhere? If it's not written down, it doesn't exist (except as 'pub talk' or 'gossip' :) )

Unfortunately (and after some years voluntary effort in a motorists representative group) I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of Irish motorists believe in pub talk / gossip / what they heard on teh internets rather than what it actually says in the Rules of the Road, their Insurance Policy or the Irish Statute Book. And most of them have never read any part of any of the above.

Years ago the six week thing after a caesarian might have made sense, but all cars have servo assisted brakes now so little effort is needed on the brake pedal. I'd be more worried about what the lap belt would do in an accident, but that would apply if the mother were a passenger or a driver.

So... make all new mothers walk home from the hospital to be 'safe'? Don't think so. It's just a myth.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

liliq as mothers we want our babies to put weight on consistently . The obsession with weight creates a lot of stress for parents. Not all babies are big and chubby. They come in different shapes and sizes just like adults. I think I was fortunate in the sense that my public health nurse never really bothered much with weighing my son so I never felt under pressure. I couldn't tell you if his weight gain slowed or stalled at times. I stopped going to the hse breastfeeding clinics as I felt they were obsessed with weighing the babies.

My little one hasn't been weighed since she was 6 weeks old. She was 8lb 1oz then. She's going for her 12 week check up (2 weeks late!) next week, so she will be weighed then... She nearly sleeps through the night and is a very happy baby so she's content. Don't get hung up on weight at all.

cheers all for the 'driving' input. i'll ring my insurance next week, and will ask for confirmation in writing. if it turns out that i would have been ok though, i might just cry....(i know, i should have called them earlier...my own fault. the gp did say i couldnt drive, but colulndt give me a proper reason...)

(sorry for typos by the way, typing with one hand at the mo :D)

different topic - does anyone else experience some type of eczema on their hands from using babywipes?? both hubby and i developed red rough patches on our hands sincewe started changing nappies...very strange!

• Advertisement

Nope, what type of wipes are you using? Is the baby getting a rash from the wipes at all?

Advertisement