Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I get to Donegal from Dublin?

• 11-03-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I believe there no direct train :confused:

What's the bus service to Donegal like ? Cost, length of journey, frequency etc.
    Does anyone fly (with AerArran) ?

I'm thinking of maybe making a trip up there in April - could I get a same day bus ? Or a bus/train combo ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Aer Arann Dublin to Donegal, April 8th, depart 8am arrive 50 mins later for about €25!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    length of journey
    It would very much depend on where in Donegal you are going. For example, most bus services will get you to Lifford in approx. 3.5 hours but you could easily travel for another hour or more if you are going to Gweedore/Innishowen etc.

RE: bus/train combo - not at all practical unless you are a glutton for punishment and get a train to Sligo or Derry and then bus it.

There are (used to be?) several private bus operators on the Donegal route - McGinley's, Boyce, O'Donnell's etc.

Aer Arann Donegal to Dublin, April 8th, depart 8am arrive 50 mins later for about €25!
    But not very practical if intending to be in east/north east Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I have found John Mcginley to be both quickest and cheapest in the past, plus if you are lucky you'll get the bus with the wee tv's and games on every seat. Think it runs twice a day most days and leaves up near the garden of rememberance

http://www.johnmcginley.com/

huh just copped on thats the same name as dr cox on scrubs

edit

oh yeah and no luck tryin to get a train i don't think there is even one train track still in operation in donegal! If you really wanna try and get a train nearby think you have to go through belfast and then get one to Derry and you'll still need a bus to Donegal from there.

And there is not much point in coming up for a day, it's to vast a county. take a tent and see it all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Aer Arann Dublin to Donegal, April 8th, depart 8am arrive 50 mins later for about €25!

Em, that's Donegal - Dublin departing at 8Am but thanks though. I was looking at their site yesterday and all I could find was 60euro flights. Looks like their timetable is so that you can fly Donegal-Dublin in the one day, ie. depart Donegal at 8 and fly back from Dublin at half 7 that evening.

aer_arran_thumb.jpg
    It would very much depend on where in Donegal you are going. For example, most bus services will get you to Lifford in approx. 3.5 hours but you could easily travel for another hour or more if you are going to Gweedore/Innishowen etc.

RE: bus/train combo - not at all practical unless you are a glutton for punishment and get a train to Sligo or Derry and then bus it.

There are (used to be?) several private bus operators on the Donegal route - McGinley's, Boyce, O'Donnell's etc.

I suppose wherever the city centre is would do me :confused:

I might look into a airplane/bus combo :)
    thanks guys/girls

But not very practical if intending to be in east/north east Donegal!

Whereabouts is the airport ? Is there much (any?) public transport between the airport and the city centre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

As stated McGinleys is probaly the best bus to get,for me anyway.Costs a wee bit more but worth it imo.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit crap , well I'm a whole lot crap , at reading timetables but my spidey sense is kinda telling me that.... there's a 7.30PM bus from Letterkenny to Dublin and then the next one is 1.45AM .

I suppose a day trip leaving Dublin at 8:45Am and then getting that after midnight bus back later that day/night would be an option...

Only thing I've not really thought about is - am I mad to do this ? I'm just bored and fancy going to Donegal for the day cause I've never been.

Thanks again there,
    Erm, Donegalfella, have you got the bus to/from Dublin ? What's the deal with needing photo ID :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,760 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Only thing I've not really thought about is - am I mad to do this ?
    Its a big county and for example it can take between 1.5 - 2.0 hours to get from the south west of the county to the north east. You should really consider a B&B or hostel and stay for a couple of nights.

I'm just bored and fancy going to Donegal for the day cause I've never been.
    Ah tell the truth. You just wanna meet me ;)

Hehe, well if i did go I'd be calling on you to show me a good pub :pac:

There's so many counties I've not been to (like most Dublin lads I'd assume) and I just fancy it.

Donegal sorta stands out from the rest somehow...

OP - when you say "Donegal" are you referring to Donegal Town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

You should fly to Carrickfinn and hire a car then at the Airport-leaves you free to explore as you want. Glenveagh National Park is fantastic and not too far by car either. My two bobs worth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Evertonia

Did you check flights to Derry? Letterkenny is only 45 mins from Derry Airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Not sure if this is possible but might be woth a try.

Fly to Derry, go to Derry city.

The Paddy wagon tours have a 5 day tour of the North West, but one of their days is a half day tour of Donegal that leaves from Derry, now I am not sure but maybe you could get on that half day tour and see Donegal, that tour returns to Derry and you could fly from Derry back to Dublin again.

Again not sure if its possible or even if times and that would work out.

All this points out how bad Donegal is set up for Tourists, was in Iceland recently, and the amount of bus tours available (half day to a number of days) available was unreal, could even book the tours from the hotel, and in fairness Donegal as much to offer as Iceland or anywhere(bias i know icon10.gif ).

Advertisement