Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Lucky Robin hit the jackpot there... where are the crocs located ?? I wouldn't last long in the jungle cause I can't for the life of me spot anything there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Kylith has found one, not saying which one though!

I've asked the mods to move this btw, don't want to take it off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A1 and C2?

One right, one wrong.

I'll be fair and say even though I took the photo, I had to look back on an old thread somewhere else and find my own answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

C2 and C4.

• Advertisement

Good going santa, at least one of us would be safe by the water's edge. :)

18E86A78378A4CFF9D849AB5F211A6A6-0000315944-0002713781-00800L-D42C5C079D1949A9AD71675DFEA0BE6E.jpg

Came across this while looking for the crocodile shots.

It's a Swallow yes, but on a ferry from the Great Barrier Reef to the Australian mainland. :)

44C5E28535F2488D9330BEB1DC74703B-0000315944-0002713779-00800L-03F28920DB0C490AAA4C8B20B989B507.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

It's a Swallow yes, but on a ferry from the Great Barrier Reef to the Australian mainland

God he's a bit out of position :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Tonight's siege has begun. Not sure how long it was going on for before I noticed it. Looks like he is back in his routine of using that tree for his late evening attacks.

Makes perfect sense on a number of levels, the first being it gives him a perfect line of sight with no other cover being closer than the tree he is in, and the second being that the tree is to the west of the smaller tree the smaller birds are in, so the sprawk's charges come with the setting sun to his back, something he does all the time in the summer.

If this year goes anything like the last two with this particular male, then he will be like clockwork every day with his hunting times. Last year he was always arriving within 15 minutes or so of the same time each day hunting in certain spots. It became a great way of knowing where to go each day to watch him.

Then as the cover grew going into the spring/summer, his tactics would change in terms of his attacks. His ambush sites got closer and closer, and he often switched to hunting on foot.

Think he just made a kill on his first attempt. He came in very low from his own tree and must have flushed something out as he accelerated like mad passed the smaller tree and went to ground.

About five minutes have gone by since that charge and he has not circled back, so I think he defo got something. Probably should have spread all this out over a few posts rather than just starting the post and leaving it open until he finished. :D

Worth a read!
    White-tailed Eagle falls out of the Donegal skies!

The following extraordinary incident took place in Glenveagh National Park on Sunday 8th January 2012. A group of 15 walkers from Derry City were walking down the glen along the Glenveagh Bridle path on Sunday afternoon. They were about a mile from the Glenveagh Castle Tearoom, walking along the vehicular track, secured by boulders along the Lough shore, in an area known as the Long Hollow.

They heard some commotion and 'rushing' sound above them in the skies. As they looked up, they saw an eagle crashing through the nearby bare Oak tree branches and ivy.

Full story at goldeneagle.ie.

• Advertisement

Just drove my poor cat into a frenzy playing the Jay sound off the RSPB site.

Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Found a hedgehog sitting in my birdbath just before dawn this morning! It wandered off a short time later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Just found a surprise visitor in my garden in the shape of a very big frog :eek: How it got in is a bit of a mystery (estate garden with very high walls/ fences) but I'll assume he'll make his way out again. Obviously didn't get the memo that I never got round to making that pond I was planning last year :o I tend not to interfere but he's got a bit of a hazardous journey ahead to get to somewhere more suitable... least I can do is leave the gate open and keep the dog in.

Wall-to-wall sunshine here this afternoon so I decide I'll head over to Lough Boora.

An hour later I'm being pelted by hailstones driven in on a biting wind.

Was not impressed. :mad:

I was passing the back roads around Dublin airport yesterday and noticed alot of Skylarks singing in the long grass on the inside of the boundary fence :), felt really spring like especially with the car saying it was 15C. Also alot of Curlew and Starlings in the grass areas, every few minutes the fire service where firing flares to disperse them and flocks of them would take off across the runway to the other side.

New Monty Halls series started on BBC2 tonight - spending 8 months working in a small English fishing village.

It's funny, I've never really gone in for the whole 'Oh the Irish are a real friendly people' lark. But having seen the crowd in this series, they didn't seem the most friendly and welcoming bunch!

About six o' clock this evening I witnessed an incredible sight, maybe 5000 Geese, Im guessing Brent, I couldn't put a real number on it, where flying in a sort of swarm very high up in the vicinity of Broadmeadows estuary. I live near Dublin airport so I would be 3-5km away and could see them with the naked eye there was that many of them. I got the binoculars out to have a better look, it was incredible watching them. I lost sight of them as it got too dark. Would these Geese be begining their migration or just gathering to roost for the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

A great sight Bsal. I remember a few years ago working outdoors late at night and suddenly the moon came out from behind the clouds. As I looked up I saw the silhouette of rows and rows of geese fly past for about 15 minutes. They were just little specs in the sky they were so high.

On a different note... http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles. Good quality nest cam of Bald eagles sitting on two eggs. If anyone else has good feeds please share :)

EDIT: Make that 3 eggs. Amazing how small the eggs are for such a large bird.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Anyone know the best spot in Phoenix park to see Deer, or any good spots to see birds? Going to the zoo tomorrow and bringing a camera, and I know there's much of Phoenix park I have yet to explore! :)

I had my first Marsh Harrier sighting in months yesterday. Partridge were also out and about in the open. Would have got some great shots had the Harriers not been distracting me - practically fell over them!

Coming down the M4/M6 this morning, a single Lapwing and a single Buzzard sighting, and I think a couple of Kestrels.

Nice. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've always hated the poo id threads on this forum but yesterday found myself "knowing" pine marten poo when I saw it so...eh... thanks :D

And so the system works! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

A nice Sparrowhawk pic opening the weather forecast on RTE today. :)

My female Sparrowhawk is back after a 6-7 week absence, and is being a bit of a pest to be honest. Killed two of my Sparrows today, could be even more that I did'nt see. On the second kill one of the Yellowhammers was feeding on the ground but had a lucky escape. I have a feeling the Sparrowhawk is feeding its chicks now so this is going to go on for a while.

"Sure they were only nuns sparrows". :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Saw my second ever stoat today, first one was on the farm, this one crossed the road in front of me, stopping to have a look before moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

And we have chicks

Starlings..going by the discarded shells.

SE Owl spotted at Boora yesterday. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Spotted a pine marten running across the road yesterday, first one I've seen.

Advertisement