Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heater not working properly...help!

• 09-11-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Recently my heater is only blowing luke warm air, froze my nuts off this morning and need to fix it. Any ideas where the fault is??

Its a 02 model Corolla T-sport. Took out the glove box and the two pipes behind are roasting...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

There's a guy on here thats good with heaters..............;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Did you check the relays?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

make sure you dont switch the wrong relays or the horn will go off when you try and start it!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

SV wrote: »
    Did you check the relays?

I'm no mechanic...what does this involve?

There's a guy on here thats good with heaters..............;)

Can you point me in his direction??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Its a joke, one of the regular lads made a bit of a mess of the relays on another lads car...unfortunately there was 10 bordsies there to witness it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ye bad baxtards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

could be the coolant, could be low, if it is the system might need to be bled aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

your heater matrix is on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

your heater matrix is on the way out
    x2 on some cars its a pig of a job to do as the dash has to come out:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Its a joke, one of the regular lads made a bit of a mess of the relays on another lads car...unfortunately there was 10 bordsies there to witness it!

Yea, sorry for trolling on your thread, hopefully someone will ad something more constructive now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

dylbert wrote: »
    could be the coolant, could be low, if it is the system might need to be bled aswell

I had the same problem before and I just needed to top up my coolant and it fix the job, check your level.

EDIT: I had it happen in an 03 Celica T-Sport :D

• deadlast wrote: »
    Recently my heater is only blowing luke warm air, froze my nuts off this morning and need to fix it. Any ideas where the fault is??

Its a 02 model Corolla T-sport. Took out the glove box and the two pipes behind are roasting...

Is you engine temp gauge sitting at its normal operating temp? If the engine is not heating up then your thermostat could be stuck open and allowing the coolant to circulate all the time and not allowing the engine to heat up, therefore you would have little or no heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is you engine temp gauge sitting at its normal operating temp? If the engine is not heating up then your thermostat could be stuck open and allowing the coolant circulate all the time and not allowing the engine to heat up, therefore you would have little or no heat.

+1

Also does your heater improve when your sitting stopped in traffic for a few mins?

Is you engine temp gauge sitting at its normal operating temp? If the engine is not heating up then your thermostat could be stuck open and allowing the coolant to circulate all the time and not allowing the engine to heat up, therefore you would have little or no heat.

Yeah temp gauge rises to middle as normal...

+1

Also does your heater improve when your sitting stopped in traffic for a few mins?

No, it seems to stay at a constant level...just luke warm.

Also, coolant overflow was down to a bit over min recently, but topped that up and saw no improvement.

Bogey thermostat maybe??

Bogey thermostat maybe??

If your engine is operating at its normal temp then its not a thermostat problem.

Thermostat problems usually cause the engine to either overheat or as I mentioned before not heating up depending what position they get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

deadlast wrote: »

Also, coolant overflow was down to a bit over min recently, but topped that up and saw no improvement.

Bogey thermostat maybe??

If it was a faulty thermostat staying open, when you stop and let the car idle the internal heater would start to warm up.

There could also be an airlock in the internal heater, depending on the design of the system the air might need to be bleed off (just like your radiators at home). Some one else here might know if the corrola has a bleeder valve on the internal heater, it would typically be on the pipes in the engine bay before they pass through the firewall.

If there is air in the heater matrix you more than likely have a small leak somewhere in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Bogey thermostat maybe??

You could be gettng closer to cause then- air in system imo! On bikes i remove rad cap and let engne run till gurglng stops/coolant approaches top-Careful tho! Not sure if this helps on your model of car!

You could be gettng closer to cause then- air in system imo! On bikes i remove rad cap and let engne run till gurglng stops/coolant approaches top-Careful tho! Not sure if this helps on your model of car!

Someone actually recommended this on the owners club site...must give it a try. Is it just the expansion tank lid i remove or the rad cap aswell??

• Advertisement

Someone actually recommended this on the owners club site...must give it a try. Is it just the expansion tank lid i remove or the rad cap aswell??

There should be a bleed screw for the cooling system, its on the expansion tank in my car but not sure for yours. Do a search and you should find its location.

When you find it, turn the car on and turn the heat up to the last, then take of the cap on the expansion tank and open the bleed screw(not too much) until the coolant flows. When the coolant flows out without bubbles the air should be out of the system. You might have to add extra coolant as you will lose some bleeding the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Took out the glove box and the two pipes behind are roasting...

Coolant circulation to the matrix appears grand so. I don't know about Corolla but in many cars the heater knob actually controls a flap that blocks the fresh cabin air coming through the always hot heater matrix.

You'll need to locate a big flap somewhere close to the matrix (follow the pipes you mentioned) and then see if turning your knob :-) has any effect. The flap may be electrically or mechanically controlled.

If worst comes to worst you can open the flap by hand a bit so that you get some heat in the cabin until you get it fixed properly.

samih wrote: »
    Coolant circulation to the matrix appears grand so. I don't know about Corolla but in many cars the heater knob actually controls a flap that blocks the fresh cabin air coming through the always hot heater matrix.

You'll need to locate a big flap somewhere close to the matrix (follow the pipes you mentioned) and then see if turning your knob :-) has any effect. The flap may be electrically or mechanically controlled.

If worst comes to worst you can open the flap by hand a bit so that you get some heat in the cabin until you get it fixed properly.

Just to add...there is definately a difference(from cold to luke warm) between the low and hot(max) when I change the temperature.

BTW its a climate control / a/c system if that makes a difference...pic dnx7200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

As I said I don't know how the heater is controlled on Corolla but if (both) heater pipes get hot then the matrix will be hot too and there's an obstruction somewhere.

Your ventilation controls looks fancy. You can try to listen if there are any noises from inside the dash with the blower fan off when you change the temp setting. As I said before try to locate the element that that controls the warm air coming in and see if something is jammed. The fact that the temp changes a little bit would suggest that the control partially works.

It's very leafy time at the moment. Could leaves or some other debris have made it in your heater, especially if the intake filter has been removed at some stage? There will be two different paths for the air to come in you cabin, one through the matrix and the other bypassing it. Is there any difference in volume of air coming in between the cold and hot settings? That could indicate that one of the paths may be blocked by leaves.

Good luck, I'll stop my speculating here. I'm sure Mr. Toyota will help you to fix it.

samih wrote: »
    Good luck, I'll stop my speculating here. I'm sure Mr. Toyota will help you to fix it.

Cheers lad, cant afford to be going near him!! Have it booked into my man at the weekend anyway but just like to learn about these things myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 agemenage

Hello I have an 03 corolla T-sport with what sounds like the exact same problem all the same symptoms and effects.
    i have not tried to find a bleed yet but will check that out this weekend.
    if your garage chap manages to find and hopefully fix your problem could you let me know what it was?
    the weather is getting cold :cool:!!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Are you using Auto so the climate control is working to heat/cool the car to that particular temperature or is it the same if you try just using the fan and heat settings instead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Lets look at this problem logically,
    You're saying that the two pipes behind the glovebox, i.e. the feed and return from the heater matrix are roasting. Therefore we can assume two things. Firstly there is good circulation within the cooling system and secondly because both pipes are hot, the heater matrix is not blocked. Therefore you need to look at the manner in which the heat is distributed into the cabin. On your model corolla, the climate control switches operate mixer flaps in your heating ducts. They mix fresh cool air from outside the car with warm air blown across the heater matrix by the blower fan unit.
    My money is that one of the servos for the mixture control flaps has failed, leaving it partially stuck in the fresh air position, regardless of ehat temp you have diale into the control panel.
    Gonna be a bit of dismantling involved though.
    If you're based in the Kildare/Dublin area, im a mobile mechanic and could pay you a visit...

agemenage wrote: »
    Hello I have an 03 corolla T-sport with what sounds like the exact same problem all the same symptoms and effects.
    i have not tried to find a bleed yet but will check that out this weekend.
    if your garage chap manages to find and hopefully fix your problem could you let me know what it was?
    the weather is getting cold :cool:!!

Cheers

Will do lad. Have a look over at this thread in the Toyota owners club, few lads having the same problem:- http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76133

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Are you using Auto so the climate control is working to heat/cool the car to that particular temperature or is it the same if you try just using the fan and heat settings instead?

It's the same whether I use auto or manual controls...

Advertisement