Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Sorry man, it was on page 14 or thereabouts in the Sleeping Dogs topic in Gaming Chat on GTAforums.com It seems it was taken down cause it was a scan of a German gaming mag.

Basically it was one island with a bridge to another small island. It looked like there was a mountain/hill in the middle with docklands and business district scattered around the costal areas. It wasn't the hugest but I'm sure it will be nice and detailed. Some of the new screens show quite busy pedestrian areas, sorta.

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya me neither, after ME 3, this is my most anticipated game of the year!

New trailer showing the story, actually sounds decent

New trailer showing the driving, Looks amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really hope that they're not over-hyping this and it ends up being pants like Saints Row 3. It does indeed look amazing though.

I think kit's lookinging like a good mix of gta 4 and saints row, a nice balance of real and gritty story but knows how to have some fun. SR 3 just went way too far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just catching up on the coverage of this. Really excited. Loved NYC and liked LA. I know it has a different name now but hopefully it'll still be as good.

Going by the trailer and the interviews it looks really promising. Might be a nice follow up for Max Payne 3 if it were to be released in September-ish.

Interesting article on IGN where devs said this was always meant to be a new IP but Activision absorbed it into their True Crime franchise and got them to fit it around that series. Since teaming up with Square, devs got to go back and finish it how they wanted.

Really hope this does well. Would be a nice kick in the nuts to Activision as well.

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1222105p1.html

Gamplay vids from PAX East 2012. Looks like a great laugh, hope a release date gets announced soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Some awesome footage there. Really looking forward to this now. Although the driving aspect looks a bit arcade-y to me, but the on foot and combat stuff looks top notch. Should be a laugh of a game anyway. :)

UFC Champ GSP put this on his facebook page.

As he posted on his Facebook page, "I’m proud to announce I’m acting as consultant for Square Enix on their upcoming Sleeping Dogs game. I’m helping make sure the action is as authentic as possible as well as sharing some insight into what’s coming. And yes – my superman punch will appear in the game!
    "

That's just class news!

Sleeping Dogs gets a release date!

17th August in Europe!

Man, I really hope we can get access to the pre-order DLC at some point. GSP has his own DLC in this game!!!

Best Buy: 'Georges St. Pierre (GSP)' Pack:
    · GSP's signature "flying punch"
    · Exclusive GSP outfit including T-shirts, headband and shorts.
    · GSP's outfit unlocks the "flying punch" and increases grappling and throwing damage.

GameStop: 'Police Protection' Pack:
    · Exclusive "High Speed" Mission
    · Exclusive HK Police SWAT Outfit
    · Exclusive assault rifle
    · Exclusive SWAT Police Vehicle

Amazon: 'Martial Arts' Pack:
    · Shaolin Showdown Mission
    · Shaolin Warrior outfit (with increased striking damage)
    · Bonus Triad XP points
    · Wing Chun decoration for safehouse (with temporary combat buff)

Exclusive content for the digitally downloadable PC version of Sleeping Dogs will be announced at a later date.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Sleeping Dogs gets a release date!

17th August in Europe!

Damn, that's later in the Summer than I hoping for. :(

Still, nice to be able to pencil it in now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Looks good. Hope it has deep combat though. Strike, counter, throw seems a bit limited.

New trailer showing off combat. The 'voilent takedowns' at the end look class!

^ I want it. I want it NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Cautiously optimistic about this. GamesTM were a bit "Hmmmm...." in their preview of it a month or two ago but I enjoyed the first two. Worth playing NYC for Lawrence Fisher's creepy "Hm-hm-hm....that'ssss my boyyy....." line alone when you take a mission from him.

Guys, there's more vids, just check this one out. This game is going to be ****ing cool. OK, I haven't played it but there ideas are definitely in the right place. Also, guys this wasn't originally a True Crime game. The ****heads at Activision thought it would be best marketed as a True Crime game as they don't know what they're doing, probably paid a load for the IP and wanted to earn something back on it again displaying their knowledge and passion for gaming. As you know, it's made by United Front who didn't have anything to do with the other True Crime games. Apparently it was originially called Orange Lotus.

Ya, really lost any respect I had after forcing ufg to change the name to fit with another series and then can it. Really hope this sells a lot just to sicken activision. Cant wait for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Loved True crime streets of LA. Anybody else collect the bones and play as snoop Dog?

Ya man, I have great memories of driving a 6 4 as snoop listening to thuggish ruggish bone!

Head of square enix released statement saying activision were crazy for letting this go. have to agree.

Karaoke is confirmed as a mini game and I didn't have much interest until I saw this GIF. I'm fairly sure this is 'I ran so far' by Flock of Seagulls. Instant Vice City memory. I picked up Yakuza 3, just played the opening bit. Gonna give it a proper lash to get in the mood for Sleeping Dogs

sd-karaoke.gif

E3 VID:

I try not to get too hyped for games these days incase they exceed my hopes. But....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I really hope that they're not over-hyping this and it ends up being pants like Saints Row 3. It does indeed look amazing though.

Saints Row 3 was actually a great game.

I would just like to say that there's a certain aspect of ridiculousness in games like Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 3 that makes them great funand incredibly playable. GTA San Andreas managed to show a touch of it, too. Your actions had no negative effect, and you could cause an RPG apocalypse while freefalling from five thousand feet.

GTA IV took itself too seriously, and was pure boring for me.

I'll probably be buying Sleeping Dogs, regardless, but unless I can do insane acts of carnage with ease and little consequence to break monotony, it won't be any fun. I want to play a free roaming game, not a true to life simulator.

There's an interview over on Gamasutra with some of the games' devs if anyone's interested.
    When Grand Theft Auto got so popular, there was a mini-boom of open world games; but open world crime games didn't really solidify into a genre that a lot of companies worked with. It seems like Saints Row has really come into its own, as well. Do you think there's room to capture an audience?

Stephen van der Mescht: Absolutely; I think there's room. I think what we're trying to do with the game, specifically with it being an undercover cop story, is bring a different sort of model of perspective, or a different feel to it. The story is about being a cop, not about being a gangster or a thug. It's about facing those difficult decisions that people in undercover situations have to make.

Achievements/Trophies list revealed. Even more hyped for it now.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/sleeping-dogs/achievements/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Saints Row 3 was actually a great game.

Complete rubbish compared to the rest tho, so any detractions are valid. I love saints row but 3 was a poor attempt.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Complete rubbish compared to the rest tho, so any detractions are valid. I love saints row but 3 was a poor attempt.

OT I know, but I agree with you about SR3. I couldn't get into it at all. I felt they tipped the balance of craziness to the point where it just wasn't fun for me any more. SR2 is by far the best of them imo.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Achievements/Trophies list revealed. Even more hyped for it now.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/sleeping-dogs/achievements/

The ones that make me excited:

*spoilered just in case. :)*
    Purchase all vehicles.
    Purchase all clothing.
    Achieving 90% and above for all songs at the Karaoke Bars in HK.
    Hijack 5 trucks and collect their cargo.
    Win 50,000 on a single cockfight.
    Kill someone with a fish.

• Advertisement

Some nice outfits here!

untitled-20cixd.gif

Advertisement