Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Seizure

• 03-09-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Anyone see anything like this before, deer below is alive

fvus.jpg

As you can see the deer is in great condition but looked to be suffering some kind of seizure. My brother came across it this morning and tried to help her up, for which he got a good kicking. Deer stood up ran off 20 or so paces and then fell over again.

He left her alone because he was afraid of any poaching accusations and obviously she is eating well/ in good condition.

Anyone else see the likes of this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭landyman

I wonder did she get a neck shot from a poacher was there any blood?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

landyman wrote: »

Wasn't there myself but the brother looked her over pretty well and said she'd got a tiny cut on her chin but that was it. His first though was wounded from being shot but ruled it out quickly.

He thought seizure or bad fall/collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

landyman wrote: »
    I don't think its only poachers that take neck shots more likely that it got a bang of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FlushBang2013

Electric shock of a fence maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

I came across one like that in the road once. It got up went 20yds then fell down again - completely disorientated. I observed it for about 20 mins and kept doing the same thing. Had a graze on its head which I assumed got from a slap off a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Did he say how she was moving when she got up.

Would you get in trouble if you put her Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Did he say how she was moving when she got up.

Would you get in trouble if you put her Down.

Often wondered this myself. But then again any gobsh1te could use that as an excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Often wondered this myself. But then again any gobsh1te could use that as an excuse

Ye but chances are any gob ****e won't do it for the right reasons.

If it were me I'd prob put her down and contact the npws/department of agriculture or some one to see if here were anymore or if they wanted to tests on her.

I think I would but wasn't in the situation. I don't think I'd let her run off and suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The thing is though mate even though your intentions were right and didn't want the animal to suffer you'd still probably get in sh1t for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I've seen dogs have a seizure before and get up as if not to much had happened, never heard about in Deer, would be interesting to see if any Deer Farmers had witnessed this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ye but chances are any gob ****e won't do it for the right reasons.

If it were me I'd prob put her down and contact the npws/department of agriculture or some one to see if here were anymore or if they wanted to tests on her.

I think I would but wasn't in the situation. I don't think I'd let her run off and suffer.

The NPWS do indeed carry out PM's in these cases and AFAIK they also require the person concerned to contact them before the animal is put down. At least thats what I had to do with a badly injured Dolphin that washed up on the shore at the bottom of my place in North Mayo several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

100% legal to humanely dispatch any wounded/injured animal by any humane means possible weather it is protected or not or in/out of season.

Did it with a doe before wrapped around a sheep fence with a broken hind leg. There was no hope of getting the leg out it and you couldn't walk away and leave it, infection was already set in and there was a lot of blood lost. The leg had to be cut from the fence in the end.
    Took pics before hand as proof and I knew the below bit existed before doing so.

(7) Notwithstanding subsection (5) of this section, it shall not be an offence for a person—

(a) while engaged in agriculture, fishing or forestry, or in zoology or in any other scientific pursuit, unintentionally to injure or kill a protected wild animal, or

(b) while so engaged to interfere with or destroy the breeding place of such an animal, or

(c) while constructing a road or while carrying on any archaeological operation, building operation or work of engineering construction, or while constructing or carrying on such other operation or work as may be prescribed, to kill or injure such an animal or to destroy or injure the breeding place of such an animal, or

(d) to capture an injured or disabled protected wild animal for the purpose of killing it humanely or with the intention of tending it and of later releasing it, or

(e) to kill humanely a protected wild animal which is either injured in the manner described in paragraph (a) of this subsection or captured in the manner described in paragraph (d) of this subsection, or so to kill a protected wild animal injured in the circumstances described in paragraph (c) of this subsection,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The problem was garv that visually the animal was perfect bar the tiny nick on her chin. This early in the season you'd be ****ting it about what people might say if you returned home with a healthy looking hind/doe saying that she was injured/disabled.*

As The Aussie said above, I've also seen dogs have the odd seizure and be generally in great health. Have never heard about or seen it in deer though.

He's going to look for her again in the morning to see if she's recovered/moved on.

*Did put down a blind doe who had badly cut herself on fencing or barbed wire during the year. Infested with ticks and was grossly under weight. Should get pictures of that too for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

garv123 is correct, any person can put an injured deer out of its misery and i dont think anyone has to be informed ie. npws, gardia etc. however there might be issues with discharging a firearm in a public place. anyway getting back to this deer, its possible that this deer was shot with a small calibre rifle ie .22 which might explain the injury under it jaw and bullet could be logged in its head, not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

To cover yourself, you could perhaps take a video of it with your phone prior to dispatching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

To cover yourself, you could perhaps take a video of it with your phone prior to dispatching it?

I think that would be wise. In my case I initially rang the NPWS for help and advice on how refloat the creature. However I soon released the poor divil was too badly injured to return to the sea. I rang the local ranger back on this and she advised humane dispatch but to record the injury which I did with neighbours higher tech phone. She came down to following day to examine the carcass. Now I don't know do they treat every such incident the same way but I guess that depends on the species involved, the particular circumstances of the incident and whether the particular ranger, garda etc. is satisfied all things are above board.

Advertisement