Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Science in Web Technologies

• 09-04-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Anyone else doing this course? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I'll be doing this in September if the Software Development one doesn't come back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

im doing it next week in NCI

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gerarda

Anyone know If a laptop is required?

I read its recommend but since we are using the lab computers i don't think its a must, They haven't told me in the registration info that its required or not, Ive a powerfull desktop at home but a weak net-book if i do need a laptop but id say ill end up using labs as it wont be powerful enough etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Log-on wrote: »
    I read its recommend but since we are using the lab computers i don't think its a must, They haven't told me in the registration info that its required or not, Ive a powerfull desktop at home but a weak net-book if i do need a laptop but id say ill end up using labs as it wont be powerful enough etc.
    I did it last year. Course covers a lot of technologies. Wesley is great for server side and ruby.
    Laptop is recommended as you Will be doing projects during labs and when at home.

• Advertisement

high spec needed?

high spec needed?
    Get highest you can afford but a very high spec isn't needed.you'll need a min of 4gb of ram.
    The it dept Will need to configure it to the college wifi.

Hello hello!

So I called the College yesterday regarding the other HDip (Software Development) and unfortunately they could not guarantee the program would be run in September. So, I'm registering for this one to start off.

Has anyone got some advice/tips/information regarding this course? I know there's one starting next week, too so if there are people on boards signed up for that or people that have already completed it I'd love to hear from ya! I'm brand new to IT so really looking forward to doing this.

for the SW dev course? im signed up to the web tech course! for next monday!

for the SW dev course? im signed up to the web tech course! for next monday!

I can't do the WT course next week. I currently reside and work in Toronto. I'm planning on returning home in September to do a postgrad and masters.

• Advertisement

So what did you all think of the induction?

It was alight, Not the most coordinated or exciting but done the job i guess, Doesn't seem to be much of a social aspect from what i gathered that day but the course does seem good.

Anyone on this course with a full time job and a family? If so, how are you managing so far with study time? (I know its only early days yet)

gerarda wrote: »
    Anyone on this course with a full time job and a family? If so, how are you managing so far with study time? (I know its only early days yet)

More importantly, how are you finding the course? What background did you have before starting it?

More importantly, how are you finding the course? What background did you have before starting it?

So far I think the staff did a good job on welcoming us to the college, I'm finding the content about right (not too hard or too easy but its still early days). The class size is a bit on the big size though, I have 14 years experience in IT.

So far I think the staff did a good job on welcoming us to the college, I'm finding the content about right (not too hard or too easy but its still early days). The class size is a bit on the big size though, I have 14 years experience in IT.

I have no experience in IT. I'm doing this course to try and gain an entry into the IT industry. Do you think it's a good 'starter' course? Ideally, I'd have preferred the Software Engineering but still nothing heard whether or not they are doing it come Septemer or not.

I have no experience in IT. I'm doing this course to try and gain an entry into the IT industry. Do you think it's a good 'starter' course? Ideally, I'd have preferred the Software Engineering but still nothing heard whether or not they are doing it come Septemer or not.

What is your backround? If your looking for advice I would recommend checking out the "For Dummies" books, they are very popular and teach the subject in a humorous and down to earth way. There is also a wealth of youtube video's on css, xhtml, ruby on rails too. Search for a guy called "thenewboston".

What is your backround? If your looking for advice I would recommend checking out the "For Dummies" books, they are very popular and teach the subject in a humorous and down to earth way. There is also a wealth of youtube video's on css, xhtml, ruby on rails too. Search for a guy called "thenewboston".
    Its a conversion course, so suitable for non techies.

A Double BA in non-IT related industries. Aye, I try to read up on whatever I can. I will jumping straight into this course about a week after I land back in Ireland in September. You said the introduction was pretty good?

Its a conversion course, so suitable for non techies.

Aye, that's what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Hi, I'm thinking of applying for this course in September. Just wondering what the people think of the course now it has started, like what topics and material are covered and just a general view of the course.

Have you started semester 2 yet, I heard it's alot harder than the first one

• Advertisement

I did the HDip last year as a non techie. It covers a lot of stuff and you'll need to do the work to keep up with deadlines but its well worth it.

Just to note that the modules have Continuous Assessments, major projects and exams.
    If you fail any part (39%) then you fail the module.

I'm now doing the postgrad diploma in cloud computing.

Thanks for the reply, the course work looks like alot of learning so ill go to the open day next week to get a bit more info and then maybe get a head start on the course

We had 2 nights and every Saturday. Doing post grad now and an internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bazpaul1

This thread has gotten quite old - but I am just wondering how the course is going for everyone? I will start the course in September as part of the Springboard initiative.

Do you really need a super laptop? I cant imagine the programming software requiring much ram. I have a feeling there might be virtual servers which might use a bit of ram.

My laptop only has 1gb of ram, but my PC at home has 6gb. I could probably do all the projects at home right?

Can anyone answer;
    1. Is there a lot of programming?
    2. Is there much entrepreneurship modules, like setting up your own web business?#
    3. How much better equipped do you feel coming out of the course and did you get a job?

bazpaul1 wrote: »
    This thread has gotten quite old - but I am just wondering how the course is going for everyone? I will start the course in September as part of the Springboard initiative.

Do you really need a super laptop? I cant imagine the programming software requiring much ram. I have a feeling there might be virtual servers which might use a bit of ram.

My laptop only has 1gb of ram, but my PC at home has 6gb. I could probably do all the projects at home right?

Can anyone answer;
    1. Is there a lot of programming?
    2. Is there much entrepreneurship modules, like setting up your own web business?#
    3. How much better equipped do you feel coming out of the course and did you get a job?

I did the HDip when it started and now doing a postgrad.(almost done)

There is a good bit of programing and you will probably use an IDE or VB for Ruby on rails.
    My machine was a pentium which has served fine for 2 years.
    There's no entrepreneurship on the hdip.
    i did it having had 20 years in transport warehousing so used it to retain and now doing an internship which will hopefully lead to a job with the company.

You'll get out of it what you put in. i learnt a lot of programing but dont want to be a programmer. But i can tallk to techies at their level now:D One girl went on to be a ruby programmer so you have your choice.

Best of luck with the course.

Hi tatranska,

Thanks for all your info.

Do you know if many of your class got jobs after completing the course or did it help to move onto further study like your postgrad. I was at the open day and asked the course lecturer about this and he wouldn't give me a direct answer

mcR wrote: »
    Hi tatranska,

Thanks for all your info.

Do you know if many of your class got jobs after completing the course or did it help to move onto further study like your postgrad. I was at the open day and asked the course lecturer about this and he wouldn't give me a direct answer

Some did. Some went onto other studies. A guy I work with did the cert part of the course(semester 1) and got work as a junior developer

Advertisement