Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2012 Boards forecast contest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

-2.1 at Mullingar (17th) is new lowest for month.

3.2 hours sunshine at Shannon -- Strasser, John mac and DOCARCH were all right on the money with that, and traecy1 at 3.1h.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

might have gotten up to the 10 hours on 18th of February. It was gorgeous down in Clare the day after Paddy's! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

might have gotten up to the 10 hours on 18th of February. It was gorgeous down in Clare the day after Paddy's! :D

I don't think the sun is even above the horizon for over 10 hours on the 18th February :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Something I have been keeping an eye on for a while but it is look increasingly possible that the MSLP mean values for the January - March period this year will finish on a record high (or at least since 1950) in parts of the country.

Although not complete as of yet, the combined mean sea level pressure value from 3 of the stations used in the IMT index (namely Shannon, Casement & Claremorris) for the Jan-March period this year so far is running at 1023.7 hPa :eek:.(1961-90 average for period is 1012.1 hPa) Although March isn't over yet, it is unlikely that this value will fall before the month is finished which would make it the highest mean value for January-March period period since 1953. A quick chart (whatever a quick chart is! :o) to put what I am trying to say into perspective:

196980.png
    Data source: ECA&D

By rights I should have included values from Mullingar & Oak Park in this to get a better scope of the IMT area but unfortunately historic MSLP values not publically available for these stations (also, data from Dublin Airport used from 1950 to 1963 as Casement data only dates back to 1964 but unlikely to affect overall values that much as mean monthly differences between both stations are negligible); but just going by the means of the 3 stations used, its looking like the first 3 months of 2012 will finish on a very high note MSLP wise with high pressure looking to remain close to Ireland for a good while yet:

196986.png

Who knows, maybe it will actually bring us some sunshine eventually..

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I don't think the sun is even above the horizon for over 10 hours on the 18th February :rolleyes:

haha. nice :D

• Advertisement

Interesting pressure comparison to 1953, both winters featured one major windstorm in January also, a break from the mainly anticyclonic conditions.

Another similarity exists on a larger scale, many stations in eastern North America are near record low snowfall totals for any winter, and some of these were set in 1952-53. That year continued very warm (in North America) and had an active tropical season.

Here's an update after the third week (15-21 March) ...

IMT ... now on 7.8 C after a week at 7.4 C.

PRC 48% of normal after a rather dry week (66% of normal over the eleven stations, Dublin was wetter but isn't one of the eleven stations used anyway.)

SUN 86% of normal after a rather cloudy week (71% of normal, Belmullet had considerably more than all the rest).

Trends ... IMT should come up gradually, PRC not likely to increase much, SUN could possibly begin to improve through next week.

About the same as the overall anomalies for the winter season (which from the contest were about +1.5 temp and -11% PRC, can't recall sunshine in detail but seemed below average).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A New high was recorded yesterday. 16.4c. G'wan the Mullet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A lot of high IMT's predicted for the month! Hope I'm not wrong, I forsee daytime temps for most of the month to struggle about 10-12 degrees :P

How's that working out for you ;):p

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A New high was recorded yesterday. 16.4c. G'wan the Mullet. :)

and I predicted 16.5 ;)

Sadly thats gonna get blown out of the water this weekend. They predicting up to near 20.

• Advertisement

and I predicted 16.5 ;)

Sadly thats gonna get blown out of the water this weekend. They predicting up to near 20.

18.5 predicted here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

17.4C in Casement, highest temperature of the month so far.

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    17.4C in Casement, highest temperature of the month so far.

Snap! Identical max here in Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

18.1c today in Finner I think max so far

I predicted near this but not to worry it will be 19 or 20 Sunday which will prob be the max for the month.

Reached 18.7c in Sligo today but we dont count.

pauldry wrote: »
    18.1c today in Finner I think max so far

I predicted near this but not to worry it will be 19 or 20 Sunday which will prob be the max for the month.

Reached 18.7c in Sligo today but we dont count.

Well if you go above 18.5 I hope not! ;)

question for Deep Easterly..

its currently 17c in Casement at midnight.(its 12c in Sligo)

If the temperature does not go below say 11 in casement tonight it will mean a max of around 19 and min of 11 giving an average daily return of 15c!!!!!

Is this a record for March, how unusual is it, when did it last happen?

I know we have got near 21 or 22 in March before but between day and night what is the record?

Also see the March record for Casement is 18.8c. Surely this will be broken

18c at casement already in the 11am. 18.3c in Mullingar was the new high yesterday with Casement and Finner showing 18.1c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

pauldry wrote: »

If the temperature does not go below say 11 in casement tonight it will mean a max of around 19 and min of 11 giving an average daily return of 15c!!!!!

I have no idea about that :o but I reckon it would be up there alright although the mean temp at Casement yesterday was 11.1c (H 18.1c / L 7.0c). It is looking like the mean today will be higher though with 18c already being recorded at 11am.

Highest recorded March temperature at Casement was 21.3c in 1964.

19c in Casement in the 12 o clock, meaning 18.6-19.4 and a new high will be set today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

think my high max temp prediction of 20.2C may already be broken today!

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »

OK - That puts me about 5th on the highest temp score! :)

i think your on the money gonzo

it may touch 20c again tomorrow though.

were any temperature records broken today locally or at met stations

it got to 19.4c in sligo today.

very few days last summer were this warm here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gonzo wrote: »

Bang on the money for Finner, wonder will Phoenix park be used?

Nope. Climatic stations are not used...only these ones. 20.2 in Finner leads the month.

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

20.3 G'wan the Mullet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

I need a 20.5 tomorrow. C'mon Ireland. You can do it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Another new record if that's verified, previous high was 19.5C

20.4 for the Mullet according to the 9 o clock news. A new local record for March and all.

That'll give you the month Seafield....no need for 22c or anything. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The Mullet is higher today and posting 22C on Met Eireann ATM.

• Advertisement

22c in the mullet!

we wait a year for some good weather in the West and we get Summer in March.

I think this will be a roasting year personally.:cool: Could be freezing either :D

Advertisement