Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best method for dusting inside computer?

• 24-08-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

One of the side panels of my case wont go back on so the internals have been exposed for a while now. I do have it up against a wall so its not all that bad now!

However, there is an awful lot of dust in there! I am afraid to take the hover to it in case it causes damage and don't want to use a cloth for same reason.

What is the best method for this or does it really matter at all?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

py2006 wrote: »
    Hi all,

One of the side panels of my case wont go back on so the internals have been exposed for a while now. I do have it up against a wall so its not all that bad now!

However, there is an awful lot of dust in there! I am afraid to take the hover to it in case it causes damage and don't want to use a cloth for same reason.

What is the best method for this or does it really matter at all?

Cheers!

I always use the hover and as long as you do not actually make contact with any innards you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

use the hoover for the outside and canned air for the inside.
    Works a treat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Tallon wrote: »
    use the hoover for the outside and canned air for the inside.
    Works a treat :)

:confused:

air in a can??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

john47832 wrote: »

air in a can??

well not excatly air, have a read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

john47832 wrote: »

air in a can??
    facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Compressed air is the best way to go about it. I normally strip them down completely (short of taking the heatsink off the CPU), and blow the air into all the nooks and crannies, through the heatsink and PSU as well. I wouldn't try pushing air through an optical or hard drive though - remove them and just dust them off. Give the inlets and outlets a good doing over too.

Best to do it outside as well (or well ventilated garage). Get the side panel back on though. As well as stopping dust getting in, the cases are usually designed to allow exchange of air from outside, through the case, and then exit. Interrupt this airflow, and some parts of the system may not get sufficient cooling air.

Using a vacuum wouldn't be recommended - if your vac is powerful, you could run the risk of having the nozzle impact the motherboard, crushing a component perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I knew that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,129 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

air can blast, hoover to gooble up the floaties

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks guys, good advice!

I am sure they sell that can of air in pc world??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I heard once that using a vacumm can cause a build up of a static chrge on the tip due to the fast flowing air, wondering can anyone confirm this.

Also would a clean air pump of some sort work, such as a football pump.
    (I realise the kind of people who clean their computers may not be the kind who generally play football :p but something along those lines)

• Advertisement
Advertisement