Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

We're getting some new neighbours, hopefully they won't hate cats or have dogs they leave in the back yard to bark. Our next door neighbour had someone visit with a dog that barked and barked one afternoon during the Summer and our cats were freaking out at the sound of the dog so close to them. I've lost track of how many barking dogs we have within a few hundred metres of our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

tk123 wrote: »
    Yep just on the touch site

Been going on for a while now but it's sporadic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Been going on for a while now but it's sporadic.
    Thread about it in the feedback forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It's happening me now tonight on my desktop while browsing!

Doggie mail today :D
    FINALLY (after much confusion and errors on the website) managed to get him his own EasyWalk harness. Got a new grooming glove as the other one was less "groomy" for want of a better word and we want to step it up closer to a brushing feel.
    Ordered a Kong Wubba as well. He got so excited this morning when I showed it to him, leaping and jumping EVERYWHERE...

Then I squeaked it.
    If his ass hit the floor any harder, he would have opened a vortex :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Doggie mail today :D
    FINALLY (after much confusion and errors on the website) managed to get him his own EasyWalk harness. Got a new grooming glove as the other one was less "groomy" for want of a better word and we want to step it up closer to a brushing feel.
    Ordered a Kong Wubba as well. He got so excited this morning when I showed it to him, leaping and jumping EVERYWHERE...

Then I squeaked it.
    If his ass hit the floor any harder, he would have opened a vortex :pac:

Is there anything funnier than that reaction?!?!? :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( Ah poor Bailey is camped out on the landing in his Thundershirt and Adaptil collar after fireworks were going off earlier. I think I'll have to set up a crate for him upstairs so he has a den at night for the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Home from Scotland, came 6th in bikejoring and scratched from the scooter class, as I felt it was too warm for Clancy, was 99.7% humidity at our start time. Had a fantastic weekend, Ireland got a gold and a bronze and I think we made lots of new friends. Great sportsmanship shown by all the Irish competitors over the weekend, and we took over managing the finish chute on the Sunday afternoon as the home nation didn't have enough volunteers helping out. Ireland was made a full member of the ECF at a meeting on the Thursday, so who knows, maybe one day we'll hold the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We're getting some new neighbours, hopefully they won't hate cats or have dogs they leave in the back yard to bark.
    Yes, having pet-friendly neighbours is a big plus. We're very lucky where we are, and I dread the day any of them decide to move. Our elderly female neighbour on one side doesn't even mind cats climbing in through her window and sleeping on her bed :) She claims it's one of ours but I'm not sure.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Home from Scotland, came 6th in bikejoring and scratched from the scooter class, as I felt it was too warm for Clancy, was 99.7% humidity at our start time. Had a fantastic weekend, Ireland got a gold and a bronze and I think we made lots of new friends. Great sportsmanship shown by all the Irish competitors over the weekend, and we took over managing the finish chute on the Sunday afternoon as the home nation didn't have enough volunteers helping out. Ireland was made a full member of the ECF at a meeting on the Thursday, so who knows, maybe one day we'll hold the Euros.

Photos??!
    How much is the dog "pulling" during the Bikejoring? Is the cyclist issuing commands constantly or at all? Is the dog trained to choose routes (e.g. closest to a barrier, or whatever)? Is Bikejoring usually just one dog, or can there be more? Are the dogs trained to stop when the cyclist falls off??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Well done muddypaws, I'd say it was a great experience.

Well, it's a nightmare here at the minute. Elly is behaving like a stroppy teenager, even to the stage where she's snapping her teeth at me if I tell her off. The next minute she's being as good as gold!

There's all out war with the dogs and chickens, and meetings are being supervised closely. Although this evening Tara was having a sniff of the coop whilst the chickens were out of the way, only thing was one of them had snuck back in to the roost. I think they both scared each other because the chicken went for tara and vice versa. Cue lots of frantic activity till we got them separated. Thankfully there were no injuries.

My head is wrecked from it all...

Update: just gone to lock the ladies in and one is missing, just done a search of the garden and nothing :-(

angeldaisy wrote: »

Update: just gone to lock the ladies in and one is missing, just done a search of the garden and nothing :-(

Went out for another look this morning and thankfully found her hiding out behind the coal bunker and fence! They are all now safe and sound in the coop :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Last year's surviving Secret Santa item has been eyeless since January. One wing got sewn back on in spring and there have been many running repairs in the interim. Today's disembowelment may yet be the death of Turkey-Lurkey. As gifts go, this has lasted for ages and the squeaker still works. Even at 3am.

Are we doing it again this year? I had my first mince pie today and sent my first Christmas card (to SA: takes WEEKS). Any bits I put aside earlier in the year for possible giftees have long since been subsumed into the void.

The river is contaminated again! :( Had to close the windows with the smell of diesel/oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Last year's surviving Secret Santa item has been eyeless since January. One wing got sewn back on in spring and there have been many running repairs in the interim. Today's disembowelment may yet be the death of Turkey-Lurkey. As gifts go, this has lasted for ages and the squeaker still works. Even at 3am.

Are we doing it again this year? I had my first mince pie today and sent my first Christmas card (to SA: takes WEEKS). Any bits I put aside earlier in the year for possible giftees have long since been subsumed into the void.

There may be a strong possibility of it returning again this year, watch this space ;)

:( :mad:

Wasps are b@stards! I got stung twice in the park - once in the neck and then it went down my top and stung me in the back!! Luckily I had somebody with me to get it out...otherwise I would have been running screaming and topless around the park!!! :p

:( :mad:

Wasps are b@stards! I got stung twice in the park - once in the neck and then it went down my top and stung me in the back!! Luckily I had somebody with me to get it out...otherwise I would have been running screaming and topless around the park!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

My sympathies.... been a bad year here in Mayo. Have been stung 4 times so far and my youngest Shih Tzu has been stung twice. All wasps. One was in my hoodie hood when I put it up to protect me from a nest we found on our walk.

The top of my head buzzed for days!

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

As I was opening the door to leave my apartment today, with one of the cats just inside, my neighbour was arriving home... with his VERY BIG DOG. :eek: Fortunately I was able to close the door before the cat had a chance to react!

What a morning!!

Doing the school run and came across 2 large collie pups in the middle of the road. Never seen them on this particular stretch before. I pulled in and called them over and thankfully they came no bother. Managed to persuade someone to keep them in their garden until I could get back with a crate.

Long story short, managed to get them in the care of a local rescue.

Gorgeous boys, very friendly but no collars or chips!! So annoying, just glad I was able to help them and they're now safe and sound.

• Advertisement

Thats your Brownie Points sorted for this week then!
    Poor little dogs - sending very evil and bad thoughts to whoever dumped them
    Thanks to you at least they are safe for now

aonb wrote: »
    Thats your Brownie Points sorted for this week then!
    Poor little dogs - sending very evil and bad thoughts to whoever dumped them
    Thanks to you at least they are safe for now

I had to give a loan of my extra large crate as well, as when she heard pups, she fetched a small crate!! These guys were huge, double the size of Elly, but vet reckons they were about 10mths old.
    So gorgeous but hubby wouldn't let me foster them!
    He reckons I've enough to be doing with 2 hyper dogs, 4 neurotic hens and my 10yr old son who's beyond labels!!!!!

Met some fab dogs in the vets yesterday but the guy who really stands out was a huge greyhound called Robert!!! What a fab name, it suited him down to the ground :-)
    Would love one, but would be scared of unwanted attention. We live in a rural location with lots of passing 'traffic'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Am I the only one who gets irked with the way people pronounce Rottweiler? Like its a double T, so would be pronounced like the word Rot. So many people saying Roth, Roff or Rock. Yet still calling them Rotties. Agh!

Am I the only one who gets irked with the way people pronounce Rottweiler? Like its a double T, so would be pronounced like the word Rot. So many people saying Roth, Roff or Rock. Yet still calling them Rotties. Agh!

I've heard Roh as well, pronounced just like Rott without any ts

Annoyed. We have a family member who Bailey gets very excited around and may jump up on them - they've always ignored our requests to turn around etc. Was in the house the other day and instructed somebody else NOT to turn their back - Bailey hadn't seen this other person in a few years and we thought he might get too excited and jump so told them to turn around if he did!! FFS!!!!!!!!I had a behaviorist out last week to work on this - people encouraging him to jump up and ignoring our requests! GAAAH!!

Anyways poor aul Bailey is having a hard time with fireworks going off. On friday some went off in the distance in the park and he tuned around to go home , tues loads went off on our walk and the tail went down pulling me to get away, wed we were back at our gate next BOOM and he was terrified.. Same yesterday morning with a truck or something rattling out the back when I was drying them - he was standing up on the door crying to go in!!:( Last night he must have heard something because he turned around as they were having a little potter around the hospital grounds near us and wanted to go home. He has an adaptil collar, plug-in and the thundershirt on when we're out. In fairness he's really really improved because he'll just go to one of his safe places in the house and snooze - no panicking or pacing etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Aw poor Bailey :( I bet you'll be glad when Halloween is over!

Kovu is the boldest cat I've ever known, I swear he must be part badger or monkey or maybe it's the bengal coming through....
    I've just noticed this-
    6ZjtMGxm.jpg
    That is the door to my brothers room, where he's not allowed in. I've been hearing a weird scraping noise the last while but thought he was just at the door while whinging to get in. But noooooooooooo, no, he has been working away on a hole Alcatraz style in a fit of temper.
    I don't know what he did this morning either, (I think he wanted to go up to the attic as it was his begging miaows) but I heard him wailing round the house and Mum sternly told him to go to bed, he arrived up to me giving out and proceeded to take over half the bed. What an adorable idiot.

hehe good work Kovu!! I really missed my cat the last week - twice there were spiders right beside my bed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't mind spiders at all, but last week they decided to invade the bathroom. There was 3 in the bath that had fallen in, including one of the giant ones that are knocking about. Himself thinks they come up the plughole but they fall in and can't get out so I normally help them out of the bath by rolling a toilet roll down the bath for them to get a grip on and climb out but I was rushing into the shower and didn't get a chance. When I got out of the shower I grabbed my towel and 2 fell out of it while I was drying myself :eek:- a regular sized one and one of the huge ones - which scampered down my leg!! I left him in the shower and he was still there the next day. I got him on a long handled loofah and put him out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I use conkers to keep the spiders at bay in my place but haven't been able to renew them this year. Have already seen one as big as my hand in the bathroom and found a dead one under my pillow one morning! Yuk Yuk.

I won't kill them but the things scare the life out of me.

TT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement