Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Plan for today - 2 miles recovery + 4 x 80m strides at race pace. Total of 3.8km covered, average pace 6.38/km. Average HR is skewed by the fact that my HRM had a spike at the start, but 145 average / max 180 (lol). Run was pretty meh at the start, and struggling to hold the pace back at the end - exactly the point of a recovery run. :)

Gonna throw a massive dose of HTFU into my homemade Pad Thai this evening, might help tomorrow :D

Raheny 5 today...

I can honestly say that if I hadn't been pre-registered I probably wouldn't have raced today. I hate running in the rain at the best of times... It really didn't help my mood either when I turned my Garmin on at the start line and got the Battery Low message before it died just before the start of the race. I did my usual thing of starting way too far back again, so spent roughly the first mile of the race passing loads of people, despite feeling pretty crap the whole time. Heard the steward at the first mile marker call out 8:08, which made me think for a minute "crap, I've fluffed this already". Started to settle into things a bit more after that, had a relatively quick 2nd mile because the steward at the 2nd mile marker called 15:2something, and the one at the third mile marker called out 23:11. Given that I reckon it took me less than 49 seconds to cover the next 160m, particularly because it was downhill, I think there was a 5k PB to be had there too... Tried to hold pace as well as I could, despite wanting to puke my guts up going up the hill at Watermill Road, and kicked on a little bit at the end.

Crossed the line with 38:30 on the clock, for a massive, massive PB (previous was a chip time of 40:13 from the same race in 2010 - reckon the chip time is going to be low-38). So happy right now you wouldn't believe it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Fantastic stuff!! Well done! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Really well done RK!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Delighted for you J, well done, great time! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats, a great run sans Garmin. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

This is the part where I say I told you that you'd do great without the garmin...:p

Well done, tried to keep up but you shot off into the distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Congrats on a great run and fair play for the patience and resolve to come back from 0 to a massive pb!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great run. That monkey is not just off your back, it's on a slow boat back to Africa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Fantastic time, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Great race and time, you'll be starting at the front with the elites next ;)

37:42 chip time. GET IN. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done, thats a fantastic time and a well earned PB...i'd say your still smiling!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

ahhh well done rk super time. All the hard work has paid off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Younganne wrote: »
    well done, thats a fantastic time and a well earned PB...i'd say your still smiling!!!

When she came into the clubhouse after the race, you knew from about 10metres that she'd had a good one. The smile was so wide :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

37:42 chip time. GET IN. :D

Great stuff, nice run, clearly the garmin is just holding you back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again J! Absolutely delighted for you! The beaming smile was a give away that you’d had a great race alright! :)

And back on the road today - plan was 40-45 minutes at recovery pace or 1 hour easy, depending on how the legs were - it ended up being a recovery run. Legs still very much recovering from their exertions on Sunday afternoon. Glad to get out though, needed to get moving again. 6.4km covered, average pace 6.35/km, average HR 139 / max 165.

No rest for the wicked. Despite the fact that the legs are still not 100% from the weekend, back out for a bit of a session this evening - made even more fun by the fact that it is currently a balmy -2C out (I'd still take that over Sunday's weather though!). 1 mile easy, 10 min HM pace, 2 mins recovery, 10 min HM pace, 6x80m strides, 1 mile easy. Didn't actually feel as bad as I expected, thankfully. HM paced segments were done at around 5.10-5.20/km pace. Average overall pace for the run was 5.37/km, average HR 156 / max 177. Total distance covered 7.6km.

Have had problems with my connection for a few days, so didn't get to update.

Thursday - rescheduled my easy run because I was going to Dara O'Briain with friends. That was feckin' great :)

Friday - 10km-ish easy (plan was for 1 hour easy).

Saturday - session (1 mile easy, 15x(1 min 10k pace, 45 sec recovery), 1 mile easy). This was hard - legs felt pretty dead. Still a bit of Raheny in my legs, I think.

Sunday - 10 miles easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just catching up on your log. Congrats on the 5 mile PB. Garmin? What Garmin!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Spot prize!

Plan for this evening - 1 hour easy. Took it nice and handy, did 10km @ 6.02/km average pace. Average HR 146 / max 173. Would have preferred to get out earlier, but I had another Case Of The Missing Tradesman, unfortunately. Nice run though once I finally got out the door. :)

This evening - 1 mile easy, 40 mins @ MP, 1 mile easy. Decided to see how I got on this evening with treating something faster than 9 min/mile as MP - turned out it was fine :) Total distance covered for the session 10.4km, average overall pace 5.33/km, average HR 161 / max 182. Not the easiest of runs, but I got through it anyway, and was pretty happy with it overall. :)

It was also pretty damn great to be able to tuck into a post-run recovery dinner of steak, salad and spicy jalapeno houmous afterwards :D

Swapped last night's run to this evening due to having a few things to do yesterday, but got out for just over 10k this evening - average pace 5.50/km, average HR 147 / max 161. Needed that after an absolutely ****e day in work - didn't get out until nearly 8pm. :(

Saturday - total of 17.6km covered, most of it with the group. Average pace 5.44/km, average HR 156 / max 168. Enjoyed that, it's nice to have some company on the longer runs and I hadn't been on a group run for a while.

Sunday - intended on heading out for yesterday's scheduled hill reps, but cut the run back to roughly 5km easy because my stomach was a bit dodgy. Average pace 5.55/km.

Plan for this evening - 1 hour easy. Bit of a slog tbh, but glad to get it done. Just under 10km covered, 6.09/km average pace, HR 147 / max 168.

**** Valentine's Day, Champions League football is back tonight - time to curl up on my couch and watch the Barcelona match :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

**** Valentine's Day, Champions League football is back tonight - time to curl up on my couch and watch the Barcelona match :)

Sucks to be in a relationship the night Champions League returns. Sitting in an overpriced restaurant talking sh*te while Messi and co. are running rings around the Lederhosen defence :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sucks to be in a relationship the night Champions League returns. Sitting in an overpriced restaurant talking sh*te while Messi and co. are running rings around the Lederhosen defence :p

Jeez, and they say romance is dead!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just catching up on logs, great work on the PB!

May even see you for an LSR one day soon if I can stay fit enough to make one :)

Advertisement