Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to college- already attended, dropped out

• 29-07-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I was wondering if any one has gone through the same/similar situation or maybe could help me or point me in the right direction
    Will try to keep it short and to the point!

-Went to college a few years ago, got to second year and then dropped out.

-I applied to the CAO this year (not as a mature student as I will not be 23 on the 1st of Jan)
    I plan to deffer for a year if offered a place and apply as a Mature student the next year accepting the course. I want to try and secure a course this year and save up money (I checked with a University and was informed this is acceptable)

-I am living on my own and have been for the past 3 years. (pay my own rent and utility bills and no financial support from family)

My question is.
    Is it possible for me to apply for a grant as a mature student?

I will be paying for college on my own and will have to pay full fees as I have attended third level education previously.

Does having attended college previously exempt me from being able to get a grant? ( I was unable to see this information on the citizens information website)

Thanks for any help you are able to offer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Are you working or on the social welfare? If you are on the social welfare BTEA might be a better option for you rather than the grant.

You should ring up SUSI about the grant, even though you wont apply for it til next year they should be able to tell you if it will exempt you. It's possible that you might not get a grant for first year because you have done first year already, but you could be awarded it for 2nd year on. But because you'll be applying as a mature student you might get it for first year. So I think you should ring up & check.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think you apply as a mature student, so if you applied this year then deferred you would not be applying as a mature student this year, and you could not 'apply' next year if you already have a place.

Not entirely sure about this but it might be worth making some enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi,

I was wondering if any one has gone through the same/similar situation or maybe could help me or point me in the right direction
    Will try to keep it short and to the point!

-Went to college a few years ago, got to second year and then dropped out.

-I applied to the CAO this year (not as a mature student as I will not be 23 on the 1st of Jan)
    I plan to deffer for a year if offered a place and apply as a Mature student the next year accepting the course. I want to try and secure a course this year and save up money (I checked with a University and was informed this is acceptable)

-I am living on my own and have been for the past 3 years. (pay my own rent and utility bills and no financial support from family)

My question is.
    Is it possible for me to apply for a grant as a mature student?

I will be paying for college on my own and will have to pay full fees as I have attended third level education previously.

Does having attended college previously exempt me from being able to get a grant? ( I was unable to see this information on the citizens information website)

Thanks for any help you are able to offer!

When did you study/drop out?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement