Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ahem* slight rant

• 18-02-2012 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

What pisses me off about some Atheists is that they seem to come to the conclusion of there being no god or super natural due to the fact that horrible things are allowed to happen in the world without any divine intervention.

To me it seems like a rebellion towards organised religion more than an individuals conclusion.

Anyone else agree?

Excuse the crass nature of my post.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Perfectly acceptable reason to not believe, I'd hope it's not the only reason though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Yeah, I doubt it's the only reason for 99% of most atheists.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don't see where organised religion comes into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I don't know why I post these things when 5 mins later I start to disagree with myself :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I think it is that many atheists believe if there is a god then he is a d!ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

UDP wrote: »
    I think it is that many atheists believe if there is a god then he is a d!ck.

Exactly, in my opinion there probably isn't a god, I'm not too pushed either way though because even if there is one he sounds like a tosser. So I'll just go out and try to live me life as a good person without being driven by the fear of eternal damnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

But some people say the likes of the USA (stay with me on this, I'm not trying to say the USA is a God:pac:) should not interfere in a country like Libya and let the civilization there overcome the regime.
    If there is a super natural perhaps it's similar thinking.

It's also the same on the nature channels where humans try not to interfere with wildlife as it could upset the habitat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

But some people say the likes of the USA (stay with me on this, I'm not trying to say the USA is a God:pac:) should not interfere in a country like Libya and let the civilization there overcome the regime.

It's also the same on the nature channels where humans try not to interfere with wildlife as it could upset the habitat.

That's an interesting way to look at it, although the obvious counter argument is sometimes humans do interfere with wildlife with positive results (wildlife reserves and the like).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What pisses me off about some Atheists is that they seem to come to the conclusion of there being no god or super natural due to the fact that horrible things are allowed to happen in the world without any divine intervention.
    That seems a perfectly valid and very big reason to lack belief in the existence of a benevolent god. It is usually the precursor to the "mysterious ways" claim that sinks every theist argument.
    To me it seems like a rebellion towards organised religion more than an individuals conclusion.
    I can't imagine why. The problems with organised religion are completely separate to the god argument you mention.
    Anyone else agree?
    Not me anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Thats a bit of a jump. Bad things being allowed to happen just provides strong circumstantial evidence that the loves-you-all god doesn't exist. Polytheistic religions have gods whose duties involve regularly smiting their worshippers. It really helps with the fearful awe factor. If the loves-you-all Christian god exists, he's just being a bit of a twat telling us he loves us all then promptly ravaging all of Africa with disease and starvation, allowing NAMA to exist or inflicting SARS, HIV or some other god-awful (pun intended) plague upon us. If that god exists, I'm certainly not worshipping him/her/it or even being nice to him/her/it.

14833132.jpg

That image always comes to mind when somebody talks about organised religion. Rebellion against religion is not always the cause of a persons lack of belief. It certainly wasn't for me. In fact it was looking deeper into religion in my mid-teens that made me realise how absurd it is.

A collection of contradictory desert myths as proof of some wrathful, jealous then all of a sudden very nice creator. Yeah, seems legit.
    Anyone else agree?

I doubt many will, the regular posters all have well reasoned arguments for their lack of faith but I'll let them answer for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But this assumes some sort of detachment.
    However we are also told that God loves us.

Think of someone you love, is there any way that you would allow this person to suffer in anyway if it was in your power to end or even stop the suffering before it begins?
    And what about if you could end/prevent the suffering with as much effort as a word? (And as a continuation of this, what if you could totally end a strangers suffering with a word?)
    And then what would you be if you refused to do that?

And since the answer to these is clear, there's no way anyone could accept that God is both loving and all-powerful at the same time. And if he's not all powerful or all loving, why call him God?

Further more, if you condemned someone you supposedly love to torture simply for not declaring their love for you enough (even though you never attempt to communicate with them) for even a few days, it's clear that you would be extremely ****ing evil.
    God apparently not only does this, but does this to millions of people and for eternity.

As for the US and documentary makers, they don't interfere partially because they are not all knowing or all powerful and any action they could take could have adverse consequences, both known and unknown. This is not so with God.

But there are a few cases where people set stuff up, then allow events to play out without interference to see the results.
    We call these experiments.
    And do you really think that something that "loves" us would treat us like that?

But as has been mentioned this is only one of the myriad of reasons why I don't believe in God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

It's a good reason to conclude that the god that mainstream Christianity promotes today doesn't exist (all-knowing, all-powerful, all-good).

It's a poor reason to believe that the god of the Christian Bible does not exist, as he actively intervenes precisely in order to cause horrible things to happen.

As for other ideas of gods, I like George Carlin's theory of "What if there is a god, but he doesn't give a ****?"

That said, there are enough good reasons to believe that gods do not exist without relying on the fact that horrible things happen.

Well, organized religion does cause many horrible things to happen, but we can't blame it for earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, diseases etc.

Organized religion can also seek to justify some of the horrible things that humans do, and thus help to perpetuate them.

But that's a different issue from whether a supernatural god exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The arguement is usually used as a refutation of a kind and loving God, not a God/s in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭The Sky

ya i would agree atheists i know dont look into god are just like to disrespect religion as that is what there friends do.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't know why I post these things when 5 mins later I start to disagree with myself :rolleyes:
    The wonderful thing about science is, it corrects itself when new evidence is thrown into light :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The Sky wrote: »
    ya i would agree atheists i know dont look into god are just like to disrespect religion as that is what there friends do.

That is a fantastic attempt at a sentence.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Galvasean wrote: »
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Better than the sentence of living a life where you think your so perfect that you have to correct people on internet forums.

It looks like someone has control issues :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

yes, coming onto an atheist board to imply atheists just want to be cool and correct them is much better

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Northclare wrote: »
    Better than the sentence of living a life where you think your so perfect that you have to correct people on internet forums
    "Your" should be "you're".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Thomas Eshuis

What pisses me off about theists is that they fail to understand what atheism is.
    To me it seems like a rebellion towards organised religion more than an individuals conclusion. Anyone else agree?
    That's what's called a persecution complex and since you posted this on an atheism/agnosticism forum you're not likely to get many people agreeing with you.

Have a nice day ;)

Have a nice day ;)
    You forgot the full stop.

Have a nice day ;)
    I put the full stop in with a magicmarker

POST EDITED BY MODERATOR TO CORRECT BROKEN QUOTATION FOR THE FINAL TIME

It's always handy having a magic marker and free Editor's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Now you've just hammed up the quotes...give up while you're behind would be my advice.

As to the original question - if people can decide based on nothing more than a warm fuzzy feeling that there "just is" a god - I'm not sure how questioning why an omnipotent being who apparently exists out-with the laws of physics that govern our universe is happy to sit back and watch millions of innocents die could possibly be viewed as unreasonable? :confused:

You forgot the full stop.[I put the full stop in with a magicmarker]
    You forgot the space after the full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's an interesting way to look at it, although the obvious counter argument is sometimes humans do interfere with wildlife with positive results (wildlife reserves and the like).

Unfortunately, our attempts to "save" nature invariably result from previous interferences, both destructive and benevolent.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I sometimes like to use a smiley as a full stop :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Advertisement