Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    No, I thought playing the intro would be sound, the same as playing if from the start anyways when I get it...No real spoilers in it, bar setting the scene, which I thought was lame for the same reasons super_furry stated above.
    How can people still not believe Shepard and be totally unprepared for the attack?

Pretty underwhelming intro anyways compare to ME1 and ME2.

The MP though is abysmal, it just shows how bad the combat in these games really is, that is doesn't stand up when the game is stripped down to just it.
    I remember I liked the combat in ME1. Nice combination of tactical commanding and action.

I certainly remember hating the combat in ME2. It was just duck and autoheal and the it was next to impossible to be killed on any skill level.

Just one of many differences I disliked. I guess this game can't defile the wonder that was ME1 any more than ME2 already has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Didnt think much at all of the demo to be honest. Though I am one of those that much preferred the original to ME2.

The game has become nothing more than a run and gun. Game has become so dumbed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

joe123 wrote: »
    Didnt think much at all of the demo to be honest. Though I am one of those that much preferred the original to ME2.

The game has become nothing more than a run and gun. Game has become so dumbed down.

& do you think ME3 its even more run and gun than ME2?

I would be a bigger fan of the 1st one anyways, and although 2 was dumbed down, I still enjoyed it. I am hoping the same here, but the demo has done nothing to ease my mind, I think ME3 is going to be a huge disappointment, but I am hoping I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If i pre-order on origin up to what point can i cancel it, still can't see this BF3 offer after looking all over the site and through the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Varik wrote: »
    If i pre-order on origin up to what point can i cancel it, still can't see this BF3 offer after looking all over the site and through the program.
    It turns out that it's only for the US. They never made that clear when they announced it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

is there any way of using a controller with the demo on pc, im not mouse and keyboard bashing but i just prefer using a controller
    You have to use a third party program that converts controller movements into key presses/mouse movements. The one I use is called xpadder, but even it is a bit... iffy at controlling the character. It may just be better to bite the bullet and join the glorious mouse and keyboard race.

Apart from that some users in the bioware forum are trying to drum up support for a controller option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Was the shooting mechanics this sloppy in ME2, I don't remember it feeling so awkward? Overall, not impressed with it, I just hope that it's more a return to the RPG of ME rather than the shooter that was ME2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Story wise I completely agree with everyone here saying they simply brush the previous two games under the rug. TBH if your gonna try catch headlines with "REAL story and moral decisions to make with real impact on the game and sequels" its not unrealistic to expect the 3rd game in that series to take those decisions into account from the very first scene.... sadly, it doesnt. Sure they dont want to alienate those who havent played so far but come on BIOWARE you may not be alienating the noobs but what about those who made decisions all the way through 2 previous games (and funded this game in the process) ... your long term fans... your kinda disregarding those decisions we agonized over for the last few games.

Seems like its more combat focused than RPG focused again....sigh.

Kinect is good with it, using it to open doors and jazz is a waste of time but in combat its ok ish. If your up against a few enemies its fun and you find you use team work a lot more but when your up against a good few guys there are a few issues 1. its hard to tell in the confusion if your team mates actually carried out the commands 2. it frequently misses your commands because of the loud noises of combat (yes, I tuned kinect right before the game) 3. using the radial wheel gave precious time to plan a strategy mid firefight but kinect controls dont.

After playing the demo it seems like ME3 has followed and completed the arc... loved ME1 cause it was a cool sci fi RPG, liked ME2 cause it was a good sci fi SHOOTER, ME3 is an ok sci fi shooter that doesnt pay off your previous investment enough in the last games and doesnt bring back the RPG roots. Meh, is the best way I can think of to describe the demo.

I hope Im wrong, Id love to fire up ME3 and find a hugely deep RPG with the kinect features polished and real payoff for being a long term fan but the demo shows none of this and we all know a demo this close to release is going to be almost exactly like the retail game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I was quite impressed with the demo, got several large chills down my spine at the backdrops, the enhanced controls compared to me2 were fun, firing the shotgun felt like it should have. Not felt a decent shotgun like that ingame since the original Halo.

I dunno how much of the story everyone was expecting to be in the demo, but i still have faith in bioware delivering the goods in the full version. I've definetly played worse demo's than this.

Infact i liked it so much, i preordered it just now too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally got a chance to play. I was skipping the chatting and cutscenese byt constantly tapping square. Have to say, the 1st mission felt awful. He was running weird, felt very floaty. ME 2 felt much better to control. I wasn't gonna play the 2nd part, like a few people on here but i'm so glad I did. Dunno why but it felt like ME 2 again. Running and combat was tighter. I like the new upgrading skills part. Giving my squad directions to use powers was very natural. Only a bit into the 2nd mission looks like I should
    have killed Wrex after all, he is gonna be a pain in the hole!

Not gonna play any more as I want to experience that level naturally but I recommend people to play a bit of it who have only played the Earth section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Finally got a chance to play. I was skipping the chatting and cutscenese byt constantly tapping square. Have to say, the 1st mission felt awful. He was running weird, felt very floaty. ME 2 felt much better to control. I wasn't gonna play the 2nd part, like a few people on here but i'm so glad I did. Dunno why but it felt like ME 2 again. Running and combat was tighter. I like the new upgrading skills part. Giving my squad directions to use powers was very natural. Only a bit into the 2nd mission looks like I should
    have killed Wrex after all, he is gonna be a pain in the hole!

Not gonna play any more as I want to experience that level naturally but I recommend people to play a bit of it who have only played the Earth section.

Now you mention it.... I DID
    kill wrex!? WTF, I distinctly remember I blasted his face open on the beach. He was a whiny a typical tough guy cleche. So much so I hated the next krogan they shoe horned into ME2 cause it just felt like " oh you killed wrex,meet brex his long lost half brother" daytime soap ****e. How the hell is he back now? Maybe its just for demo purposes.
    Still not sure why they bothered to ask for a backround on me when starting the demo, it makes no difference at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Still not sure why they bothered to ask for a backround on me when starting the demo, it makes no difference at all.

same here , but it is a demo afterall and never asked you to carry over a save etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Anyone else think bioware were a better company before signing with EA ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Maybe we should wait for the whole game before passing judgement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe we should wait for the whole game before passing judgement.
    Isn't that the whole point of a demo though - to give players a chance to judge the game before deciding whether to purchase? Seems a fair opportunity to me.

Very true! It isn't a black and white issue I suppose. I think I was mainly referring to the story of ME3 (which in my opinion is the franchise's strongest aspect....or should be). Should have been clear on that!

The demo cannot give a rounded view of the game's plot as they are two completely separate scenes take out of context. I'd imagine Bioware wouldn't want to give too much story away too. Maybe they could have given a small shock surprise in the demo, but I'm not sure how I'd like that..... :/

Yeah, it just wants to give a taste of what decisions will be like, either Ash or Kaiden will show up. Either way, they just wanted to show off the action of the game. I cannot wait to play this and travel the universe looking for backup. I'd say there are gonna be a lot of hard decisions to make.

Anyone else start laughing when the cliched
    kid got blown to pieces
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Anyone else start laughing when the cliched
    kid got blown to pieces
    :pac::pac::pac:

NO!

But then again, you're from Limerick :D

Jaysus Liam that was harsh :D

Jaysus Liam that was harsh :D

I blame my upbringing :(

• Advertisement

Not that I condone
    kids being blown up
    but my malesehp had the emotions of a cardboard box when it happened and it was suppose to be this epic set piece that that made you care about humanity and want to save it. Sheps only mission should be to get under Tali's mask again!

Yes, I lost because I laughed....a lot. :pac: I think it's because I wasn't expecting it.

That's the thing Sheehy....
    you see Shepherd as some sort of intergalatic gigolo who saves the universe when he's taking a break from clunge plunging.
    I see him as some sort of intergalatic hero who plunges clunge while taking a break from saving the universe.

Liamario wrote: »
    clunge plunging.

OOOOHHHHHHH YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Commander-Shepard-Trollface.jpg

OOOOHHHHHHH YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Commander-Shepard-Trollface.jpg

mass_effect_shepard_rape_face_by_ironytaken-d2xg0nl.jpg

HAHAHA thats brilliant! I was actually gonna change Sheps appearance for ME3 but think I will keep it now for those 2 pics alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

My hat goes off to Bioware for all their hard work. I didn't think it was even remotely possible to make a mass invasion of Earth by a near infinite swarm of sentient machines to feel bland and not even a little bit threatening, but by gum they managed to find a way.

Mechanically it felt decent enough, no great changes. The omni-tool knife stab is clunky. At least on the XBox, shepherd seems to suffer from crippling indecision over whether pushing A means "stop hiding behind a wall" or "DO A BARREL ROLL", leading to a few stupid deaths. Couple of nice additions to the enemy armoury. Riot shields and engineers dropping murderously efficient turrets and proper grenades and such. Makes for some hairy gunfights, where quite frankly pausing the action to issue commands is going to be necessary, so screw the Kinect.

It was nice to see a little more depth to the upgrade system. Botox seems to be standard Alliance Marine upgrade fare, Ashley looked like a hooker. And Jesus, that thing
    with the kid
    was the lamest attempt at emotional manipulation I've ever seen.

It looks like it'll be fairly good action wise, but the writing and dialogue and the pacing of the opening has left me luke-warm.

Just read an interesting thread on official forums and I was thinking the exact same when playing the demo. When Shep is in the
    Normandy watching the Reapers blow up the transport shuttles, why oh why didn't the Reapers just blow up the Normandy instead. They were in a stationary position and easy target. Shep and the Normandy are well know to the Reapers and thought they would be the 1st target.
    Anyway, just something I noticed, I would go as far as they are on the official forums 'ZOMG I just cancelled my preorder!!!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

ZOMG I just cancelled my preorder!!!!'

Is that happening on the ME3 forums?
    Have you a link to that, till I have a read for the craic....

On another note, there is a massive difference between the Reapers in ME3 compared to the Reaper in ME1. Sovereign was supposed to be super intelligent and far superior to any biological being, so that's where I got my impression of the Reapers.

From the ME3 demo, they seem nothing more than a bunch of metal King Kongs with Lasers. I thought a super intelligent being would eradicate earth by some other means, instead of just trampling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Anyone else think bioware were a better company before signing with EA ?

I can't comment on them being a better or worse company, but they released better games prior to the EA buyout.

That said I really liked ME2. Haven't played the ME3 demo.

Advertisement