Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Gormal

Just discovered Winnie's Wool Wagon via the Drops website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Second Winnie's Wool Wagon! Also have used the constant Knitter (www.theconstantknitter.ie) and I've also used Lana Grossa, whose yarns I really love (http://www.lanagrossa-store.com/lana-grossa-yarns/wool-yarn-c_16-p_1.html).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Guys what kind of pins do you use when blocking? Are blocking wires a must have?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 louised88

i pretty much use what i have around the place, a combination of straight pins and t-pins.

re: blocking wires, I suppose it depends on what you're blocking? I think they'd be handy for something long like a scarf. I've never used blocking wires, I've substituted yarn sometimes though (I was gently blocking a lace-shawl and wove waste yarn through the border and then tied the waste yarn to pins, I don't know how useful this would be if you were blocking something very hard though.)

I just use normal sewing pins with the rounded heads. They work ok on corners. I've tried using them on straight edges and it doesn't come out quite even, so I'd say wires would be an advantage where you want to stretch your work with a nice smooth edge. like scarf or sweater.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! I only recently started blocking (I know I know! But at least I'm changing my bad habits now). I saw the wires on a website and was curious. I mainly do baby clothes so perhaps not a necessity. However I have just done a lacy cardigan so I'll try the trick of pulling waste yarn through to keep the ends even. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭janmaree

I've done a lot of crochet thread work over the years, doilies, christening gowns, table cloths, etc., and found to my cost that some pins will rust quite quickly and leave stains, disastrous for white cotton thread items :eek:. Found rustless pins for wedding dresses and they take the gamble out of it now.

Gosh that's good to know! That must be horrifying after putting all that work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Any machine knitters here: I know there was a thread that lasted 5 years here before and then got moved to here, there were a few knitters on there but the accounts seem to be inactive.

As the exchange rate in the UK has gone through the roof, I'mm looking for yarn on cones, I havent been to Springwools yet, but may have to check it out. I had 2 brilliant suppliers in the UK but including postage, the price to me has doubled since x-mas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just got some from http://www.fairfieldyarns.co.uk/yarn.htm It is redundant stock so you will not be selecting from ranges, but it might suit. I was very pleased with the service. I also got some excellent quality yarn from http://www.texere-yarns.co.uk/index.html - I was buying for weaving, but they do knitting yarn. Both these are in he UK so may not be what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭janmaree

http://www.craftspun.ie/product-category/yarn-types/page/2/

Craftspun Yarns, the Dublin side of Naas, have a selection of yarn on cones. Hope it's of some help to you.

Brilliant, didn't know about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarahon150

Hi,
    Do you know anyone that services knitting machines in Dublin?

There are two people in Wales who have helped me, which I know is no good!

Both ncad and Griffith colleges have (or did have) knitting machines so maybe ring them and ask who does theirs.

I have repaired all mine in one way or another, if its not working correctly, fire away, I may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Hi quick question on a pattern I'm knitting. I've picked up stitches for the right front border (baby cardigan). I'm following instructions which I presume will be the button holes - there are only three near the neck. I can't understand the count for the stitches and feel like I'm missing something.

I have 61 stitches. Then told to rib to last 27 - that's fine.
    Then told cast off 1 st, (rib 9, cast off 1 st) twice, rib 3 - this is confusing me!

I'm counting 24 there but I'm only counting 1 for casting off - should I be counting two?? That would make the 27 then.

is there a term glossary? if the rib is k1p1, then by saying rib 3 it may mean (k1p1)x3 which would give you a total of 27.

Gatica wrote: »
    is there a term glossary? if the rib is k1p1, then by saying rib 3 it may mean (k1p1)x3 which would give you a total of 27.

Ah rib is k1p1 so that makes more sense! Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

theLuggage wrote: »
    Hi quick question on a pattern I'm knitting. I've picked up stitches for the right front border (baby cardigan). I'm following instructions which I presume will be the button holes - there are only three near the neck. I can't understand the count for the stitches and feel like I'm missing something.

I have 61 stitches. Then told to rib to last 27 - that's fine.
    Then told cast off 1 st, (rib 9, cast off 1 st) twice, rib 3 - this is confusing me!

I'm counting 24 there but I'm only counting 1 for casting off - should I be counting two?? That would make the 27 then.

You are correct, you should be counting 2 for casting off - you have to knit 2 stitches to cast off 1 (you lift the first stitch over the second). That transfers 2 stitches to the right hand needle.

Agh!! I've just followed Gatica's advice which is different :( Presume it won't matter as long as I match up the instructions on the other border. I hate unpicking and so close to the end. I'm liable to make a wreck of it so don't want to risk it.

oh no! :( sorry. for some reason I was thinking cast off was slip the stitch across (i.e. 1)

//edit
    If you're doing proper cast off as theLuggage said, you'll be left with 3 at the end anyway.... but I'm guessing you may have slipped the stitch.

• Advertisement

Ah no worries. Me and button holes never seem to work out! :) Ah sure I'm still learning bits and pieces so to be honest am more happy I could pick up the stitches for the border and they looked good :) I'll know the next time I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarahonon

Hi,

I have cleaned and oiled the machine however its still not working.I have uploaded a video on youtube to show you type
    brother knitting machine punchcard not working its the top video with the orange background

thanks
    sarah

If it all goes peat tong, forget the button holes and get some 10mm snaps.

https://eastlondonknit.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/cyclamen-2.jpg?w=545&h=819

you can still sew the buttons on top.

Ah thats a good idea. The holes look ok though so we'll see. I'll worry about it when I've made it up - another dread of mine still!!

You can always mattress stitch the holes closed! (you name a disaster, I've had it! )

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

hi, there's no link in your last post, so I don't know what type of machine you have, is there any code on it somewhere, starting with letter K maybe?

is it an electronic machine, do you have to plug it in?

NB: have you checked and changed the sponge bar, second hand machines generally need to have the sponge bar changed, or else your needles will be loose/wobble and using the carriage across will bend or break needles.

in what way is the machine not working?
    is there a manual with it? if you need a manual then there are links i can give you to downloadable manuals for lots of machines.

what have you done so far, and what have you not been able to do? have
    eg have you knitted anything at all?

sorry for all the questions, just looking for information so I might be able to help? I have one Brother machine(chunky) with ribber that works, and a few more in the process of being fixed.

Found your video, got 2 seconds in, heard the noise. Stop immediately!

It's either the sponge bar, or you have the bar in upside down or the carriage is jammed of the magnets are mis alined.

It can be fixed, but you need it fixed before you try knitting anything else.

I can move my carriage with my little finger. There is no noise apart from the needles moving forward and back.

1 St. Look on YouTube for replacing the sponge bar and make sure your new one is in the right way.

Let me know how that goes and we'll move on top the next check.

If you can't find a video, I'll send you pictures of how my sponge bar looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

found your video,
    on youtube, orange background,
    I agree with wmpdd3, that noise is not good, way too harsh, you do need to check the the sponge bar, and check for static electricity, machines can get stiff from too much static, I'll come back to that when I get a link for it for you, or just check on youtube for it.
    ETA: Static monster strikes again:

Otherwise, is it the punchcard that is not working, it seems to be not moving on as the rows move on?
    I beleive i had the same problem as you at Easter when I got out my Brother Chunky for first time in long time.
    It knit for me no problem, but when I tried to use a punchcard, the punchcards were not rolling on, the little buttons popped up and down wwhen the carriage went across, but the card did not roll on and the knitting was a huge mess.

So I went to my favourite place for help : Raverly, specifically the Machine Knitting group, linky here:

and i posted a question on the beginners queries page, and i was told I probably needed to de-gunk the punchcard roller mechanism, which was probably stuck with yellowing old oil.
    I had to open the top of the machine at right side only, where the punchcard mechanism is, you'll see the little screws, no problem to do that, and then you need to de-gunk it, materials required were a hairdryer, sewing machine oil, an old cloth and an old toothbrush, small plastic needle.
    Sure enough, there was old yellow oil on the roller and on the bits around it,
    if you look on youtube for the answer lady /ask jack you should find videos of her and Jack cleaning card readers on knitting machines, that will show you the yellow oil and where to clean it from.
    ETA or read my posts and the answers I got on the Ravelry Beginners Questions thread , my post is nr 2665 on that page. there are links to other people's photos also of their gunky machines.

First I got out the hairdryer and warmed the area of the punchcard roller.
    Sewing machine oil apparently takes off old grease. So I put some sewing machine oil on the yellow bits of grease on the white plastic roller in punchcard mechanism and on the top of the circular disc to far right of the mechanism.

I left the oil do its work then went back with a rag and an old small toothbrush, a small plastic knitting needle, (mind your rag doesn't leave bits of fluff in there) and I cleaned out the yellow oil with the rag and the small plastic needle to help poke out bits.
    I put it all back together again and set in the punchcard and did a trial run with the carriage, and PRESTO! the punchcard moved on. After that i could knit with any punchcard at all.
    Give it a shot, it was my first time doing it, but now I know how I will do it for all the other machines I have to fix too.

Items needed: sewing machine oil, a rag, a plastic knitting needle, Hairdryer, old toothbrush .

ETA: I have a knitting repair man in Shannon, Co Clare, bit too far from you I know, i might contact him and ask if he has any contacts for repairs in Dublin, have you asked at the local sewing machine and yarn shops? I think he sells sponge bars separately too, I could ask him for you if you wish, if you have anyone who is ever down this way to collect.

I had the same issue with a 321 but it was with the carriage, fixed it the same way. Great advice.

You can ask the answers lady /Kate on face book, she gives great advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

I believe the Bernina Electronic Machine Centre on Parnell Street sells knitting machines and I know that they service sewing machines, so it might be worth giving them a bell. (01) 873 0368

Advertisement