Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've never used a desktop 16:9 display, so I can't really say. I've used a couple of laptops with 16:9 though, and if I had to pick I'd go for 16:10, but it wasn't that huge a deal for me at least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hey bro, do u think you could write up a tutorial on how to pay for HWVS? Since u did online, i could do the offline/in bank tutorial, so future buyers could use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

after placing the order, you'll get an email something like this:
    195119.JPG

for the love of god dont use those particular bank details for your own order -Ive ordered many many times from them, and those bank accounts change all the time.

take a stroll over to your bank, say you want to do an international bank transfer to Germany, and i literally give the banker my phone with that email open on it (Android FTW!).

Otherwise, you have to fill in a long annoying form, unless the banker is nice and does it for you. Double check all SWIFT and IBAN numbers.

He'll hand it back after a few min, and thats it. first orders take a while to get to germany, but subsequent orders are very very fast. may also be because my first order was in the region of €3.5k or something and it would look dodgy as hell.

also, when they ask you what charges you want to pay, i always choose to pay the internal bank charges and HWVS handle their own transfer charges. a big order usually comes to €0.50, or even less at times.

On a side note, Ulster Bank just brought in Online International Bank Transfers, and ill be using that next time. i think it was said somewhere else that AIB will let you do it too.

if anyone wants to edit or add to this and move it to the Building 101 thread work away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Hah, I just did the same thing myself :P

http://imgur.com/a/BlC7k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hey bro, do u think you could write up a tutorial on how to pay for HWVS? Since u did online, i could do the offline/in bank tutorial, so future buyers could use it?

Hey, yeah I'l try and scrape something together.

• Advertisement

i forgot to mention

your rig
    the other side panel of the pc case comes off - it's for cable management! See those "anus" looking black plastic bits next to the motherboard? Cables go through there and are held in place. So the cables are messy on the other side of those parts where you can't see! here's an example

oh, and you're welcome for me ruining pc's on you!! ha

thought i'd mention it just in case :P

i forgot to mention

your rig
    the other side panel of the pc case comes off - it's for cable management! See those "anus" looking black plastic bits next to the motherboard? Cables go through there and are held in place. So the cables are messy on the other side of those parts where you can't see! here's an example

oh, and you're welcome for me ruining pc's on you!! ha

thought i'd mention it just in case :P

Thanks for that. No worries I noticed that alright that there was holes for wires. I don't think the Germans used them to its full potential though but I am happy anyway for the time being :)
    That rig you linked looks very tidy though!

You should try do a bit of tidying. With the amount of clutter in your case, odds are you have a fair bit of air flow restriction going on. Would probably drop your temperatures a few degrees.

I must have a look at tidying it up then. Thanks guys.

I put in the motherboard disc a few days ago to install some utilities and that , I ended up just installing drivers again from CD, as there was an yellow error in device manager and I wanted to sort that out.

However since, I noticed I cant surf the net at times, I tried installing the updated Lan Driver from the website but still get the problem. I am currently on my laptop which is running of the same router so its a problem with the computer and not the router.
    When I try visit a site it will be really slow and it will says could not connect to boards.ie then at other times it works fine.
    Bit of a puzzler.

Try setting a static IP address, might help.

Start, Run, cmd, "ipconfig /all", note Ethernet adapter settings,

Network and Sharing Centre, Change adapter settings, LAN port, properties, Internet Protocol Version 4, properties, Use the following IP address and DNS servers, and plug in information from above.

• Advertisement

Thanks , I might try that later.

Jebus lads I had a go at the cable tidying, a good bit of effort in it, now I know why the Germans didn't do it! :) Got it done anyway
    Few heart in mouth moments.
    See the white connector on the right http://i.imgur.com/Xx5hm.jpg
    When I was putting that back in after cable tidying I noticed one of the stick connectors was bent down the way :eek: , I straightened her up and hoped for the best, no problems anyways pheww :)

By the way I got the anti static wrist strap on amazon, its a good job.
    http://i.imgur.com/xfJn0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rD2I6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Looks nice. So do you reckon that you could build it yourself the next time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 devil01

Excuse my ignorance but could someone explain to me what is a new wireless adapter and do I need one if I can't enable my wireless device again. The light is amber.

Monotype wrote: »
    Looks nice. So do you reckon that you could build it yourself the next time?

I reckon I would have a good crack at it anyway, just tidying the cables gave me a good feel to the build and even experience you could say.

Some of the cables I wouldn't know what they are for but I suppose if I studied the motherboard manual I might get to know it.
    Like for instance. What are CP and UI cables for? They connect to the top of the motherboard.

The only real unknown territory for me in this build is the inside of the front of the case where the power button cable and the front usb cables lead to etc.

From looking in one of the peek holes to the front I seen one of the cables looked to have some sort of paste probably to join it to something. (Like a white version of soldering) Not too sure how I would fair out with that).

I reckon with the help of people on here it would be definitely doable, then again I could be wrong

I might even try to get to the front usb connectors sometime because I cant get one of the front usb connectors to work as I mentioned before, not sure if its accessible or not though as it seems pretty well compacted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

devil01 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but could someone explain to me what is a new wireless adapter and do I need one if I can't enable my wireless device again. The light is amber.

This is not the place to be asking at all, but you need to give more detail anyway.

Is it desktop/laptop?
    Has it ever worked?
    Have you been able to connect to the same wireless network before?
    Do other networks show up?
    Have you changed software or hardware?
    Pangea wrote: »
    Like for instance. What are CP and UI cables for? They connect to the top of the motherboard.

The 8 pin power connector?
    I didn't know what CP and UI stood for but I realised it's probably the two halves - CPU I. It provides extra power to the CPU. Some only need the 4 pins.
    From looking in one of the peek holes to the front I seen one of the cables looked to have some sort of paste probably to join it to something. (Like a white version of soldering) Not too sure how I would fair out with that).

You don't have to do that, they're already attached to the case. You just need to connect to the board.
    I might even try to get to the front usb connectors sometime because I cant get one of the front usb connectors to work as I mentioned before, not sure if its accessible or not though as it seems pretty well compacted in.

Sounds like it got damaged. You probably could send it back or possibly ask for a replacement for that part but it would be a fair amount of trouble.

Havent tried the internet solution yet, but I noticed yesterday when I had utorrent open I couldn't surf the net at all.

Had other surfing problems today even with utorrent closed.

Another weird problem is my TV Card is not showing up tv channels on occasions.
    When I go into dvb viewer it says no hardware available and a blank screen , other occasions the channel would just freeze .
    but under device manager the tv card is listed so its not an issue of the tv card being registered. It is definitely not a problem with the tv signals as I have checked it. I tried it with windows media centre also but the same problem occurred.
    I tried reseating the TV card but no luck. The problem resolves itself on occasions and the channels appear.
    I just restarted the PC and it is working fine now.
    Can anyone think of why this is happening?
    Maybe I should try reinstalling the tv card drivers.

I wish i could help more Pangea! But it sounds like a device driver conflict. Friend of mine had an issue of his monitor sometimes just saying 'nope, not working' and then go back to working when restarted, same thing.

Is the purple cloth in those shots from a bed or couch? It actually looks great against the inside of your PC :)

I wish i could help more Pangea! But it sounds like a device driver conflict. Friend of mine had an issue of his monitor sometimes just saying 'nope, not working' and then go back to working when restarted, same thing.

Is the purple cloth in those shots from a bed or couch? It actually looks great against the inside of your PC :)

Thanks, ha yeah its the colour of my bed clothes! (Very manly colour I know)

Advertisement