Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Carb Foods

• 01-03-2010 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where low carb products can be bought in Ireland or Northern Ireland. Or is there a website that ships products to Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

What do you mean by low carb?? Protein is no carb, certain veg is low / no carb??

What kinda food in particular?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

There are loads out there if you google but my advice would be don't waste your money.

They are very expensive, often taste nothing like the real thing, give you digestive 'issues' and stall your weight loss.

I think every low-carber goes through that phase of eating 'frankenfoods' but everyone learns the lesson that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

The whole point of any healthy eating regime is to eat unprocessed food.

If you really need something carby then have the best quality version of it that you can obtain and enjoy it as a rare treat. Those fake biscuit/cake/bread things just leave you unsatisfied and still craving the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

if you want bread / pasta / rice then eat whole grains in sensible quantities. if you want low carb eat lots of veg, meat and fish. you gotta chose one of the above really cos the low carb versions of carb heavy foods contain worse crap than carbs in a lot of cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think I came across this blog on here before, but maybe it was from someone else's blog. Anyways, its a low carbers blog and they make a lot of food substitutes, such as cauliflower rice; http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2009/05/low-carb-rice-recipe-cauliflower.html
    I haven't made it yet but will probably do it tomorrow to go with curry (cauliflower is good with curry anyways).
    There are plenty of recipes on that site that some people may find useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Pretty much anything marketed as low carb is processed carp and should be avoided. Real low carb food is stuff like fish, eggs, green vegs.

One thing which is not marketed as low carb, but is, is 99% chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Well im just lookin for something i could bring to work as a packed lunch or for snacks. Its not easy without bread or wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

k_mac wrote: »
    Well im just lookin for something i could bring to work as a packed lunch or for snacks. Its not easy without bread or wraps.

why? what about cooked chopped chicken fillet + spinach + lettuce + tomatoes + sweet corn + red onion + shredded carrot .. etc etc. if you have a good lunch box you can bring pretty much anything

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I haven't found anywhere in Ireland to buy low carb products. Dunnes and Tesco used to sell Atkins bars and shakes about 4 years ago, but they seem to have stopped now. Personally, I see this as a good thing - it's better to eat 'real' foods like meat, eggs, cheese etc. Butterhead lettuce leaves make good wraps for stuff like tuna mayonnaise, or you could take some hardboiled eggs and slices of ham, or smoked salmon rolled up around cream cheese flavoured with chives is good. Chicken drumsticks are always easy! Invest in a couple of little tupperware pots with sealable lids and you're sorted - I eat things like leftover roast beef chopped up with mayo with a little horseradish added, or chopped chicken in mayo (I like mayo!) with spring onions mixed in. If you want to buy something at lunchtime, try those pre-made prawn cocktails (not the low fat version) - they're pretty low in carbs and come in their own pot, or get some sliced deli meats (watch out for breading on ham). A few cubes of cheese are good as a snack, or make your own smoothie with fresh berries in season, soya milk (the unsweetened sort) with added Splenda. I think most supermarkets stock powdered Splenda nowadays :)

Hope that helps, and sorry for the wall of text!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Iristxo

Darkginger wrote: »
    I haven't found anywhere in Ireland to buy low carb products. Dunnes and Tesco used to sell Atkins bars and shakes about 4 years ago, but they seem to have stopped now. Personally, I see this as a good thing - it's better to eat 'real' foods like meat, eggs, cheese etc. Butterhead lettuce leaves make good wraps for stuff like tuna mayonnaise, or you could take some hardboiled eggs and slices of ham, or smoked salmon rolled up around cream cheese flavoured with chives is good. Chicken drumsticks are always easy! Invest in a couple of little tupperware pots with sealable lids and you're sorted - I eat things like leftover roast beef chopped up with mayo with a little horseradish added, or chopped chicken in mayo (I like mayo!) with spring onions mixed in. If you want to buy something at lunchtime, try those pre-made prawn cocktails (not the low fat version) - they're pretty low in carbs and come in their own pot, or get some sliced deli meats (watch out for breading on ham). A few cubes of cheese are good as a snack, or make your own smoothie with fresh berries in season, soya milk (the unsweetened sort) with added Splenda. I think most supermarkets stock powdered Splenda nowadays :)

Hope that helps, and sorry for the wall of text!

Splenda? I hear that's like a terrible, horrible cr*p. The more knowledgeable ones than me will be able to explain why. It's all chemicals anyway! In my book, you'd be better off with plain sugar for that matter.

Boots still sell Atkins bars and stuff, but I reckon they are totally overpriced for what they are. I do carry a bar in my bike bag for if I get stranded on the side of a mountain somewhere, but it usually expires before I get round to eating it. My natural meanness sends me towards cottage cheese or some other snack.

• Advertisement

Splenda works for me - I'd rather use it than any other sweetener. Sugar is out of the question, as it causes insulin spikes (in me, anyway) which lead to unregulated hunger, which I find it hard to resist. I guess you pick your poison, after doing your own research on it :) After all - EVERTHING is 'just chemicals'.

After all - EVERTHING is 'just chemicals'.

No, not really, natural sweeteners are that, natural, not chemicals (stevia, agave etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

I think what Darkginger meant was that technically, everything is made up of chemicals... whether it's 'natural' or not. Which is true!

Even water is dihydrogen monoxide.

Just looked it up and, according to a few websites there can be a lot of very nasty side effects to Splenda. Of course you can find research in the internet to prove about anything, I know that. It also says that taken in small doses is not normally harmful.

Yep, Melia, that's exactly what I meant :)

Ideally, I'd live without eating anything sweet, but the flesh is so, so weak. Even naturally occurring fructose is supposed to be harmful. Malitol is a non starter (or, more correctly, a non-stopper) for me, as it has a certain effect on my digestive system that I'm sure you'd prefer I didn't go into. Saccharine and aspartame are supposed to be bad for you, Stevia is impossible to get hold of locally, and honey is more or less the same as sugar, so sucralose (Splenda) is my drug of choice. I probably use it about once a week - in a low carb cheesecake!

It's up to the individual to investigate and make their own decision. I'm not evangelical about Splenda, I just use it. I also try to eat a 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb diet, but again, that's not for everyone (and I've learned not to embark upon arguments in its favour, either) - so each to their own - whatever works for you.

Yep, Melia, that's exactly what I meant :)

Ideally, I'd live without eating anything sweet, but the flesh is so, so weak. Even naturally occurring fructose is supposed to be harmful. Malitol is a non starter (or, more correctly, a non-stopper) for me, as it has a certain effect on my digestive system that I'm sure you'd prefer I didn't go into. Saccharine and aspartame are supposed to be bad for you, Stevia is impossible to get hold of locally, and honey is more or less the same as sugar, so sucralose (Splenda) is my drug of choice. I probably use it about once a week - in a low carb cheesecake!

It's up to the individual to investigate and make their own decision. I'm not evangelical about Splenda, I just use it. I also try to eat a 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb diet, but again, that's not for everyone (and I've learned not to embark upon arguments in its favour, either) - so each to their own - whatever works for you.

Well, I don't think anything is going to hurt you if you take it in once a week! Unfortunately I have to use sweeteners at least twice a day, for my kefir and for my porridge... I can't eat it without some sweet in it and neither can my kids! I am "training them" little by little to get their palate used to less and less sweet as times goes by. Hard work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chandrakidd

I'm looking for low carb foods to help with my diet for my diabetes. I'd like to be able to get things like flax flour, almond butter, almond milk, etc. Does anyone know where I can find these? My sister sent me some Carb Counters Instant No-cook chocolate pudding mix which is absolutely delicious. They have a website that ships to the US but I'm not sure about here.

P.S. Corn is possibly one of the WORST high-carb foods that you can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I see the likes of flax meal and almond milk in holland and barretts all the time so try there and other health shops.

You might also be wise to look at oriental and other continaental food shops and markets as they usually have these items cheaper than the likes of Holland and barretts.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

can anyone suggest a handy alternative to sambos for lunch during work? Looking to cut out bread but not a huge fan of Salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

can anyone suggest a handy alternative to sambos for lunch during work? Looking to cut out bread but not a huge fan of Salad.
    Do you have regular access to either a Tesco or Marks & Spencer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Mini-Driver - Soup / Ryvita topped with tuna/egg mayo etc

When trying to cut out bread, I make my own soup bring a big container to work that I use for 3/4days, then make a big salad out of rocket, spinach, tomatoes,cucumber, spring onion, feta cheese and balsamic dressing!

Get creative with salads and you might find a mix that works! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I can only eat a limted amount of salad myself.
    I tend to eat a lot of stir fry for lunch now.
    Chicken, veg, sauce in a wok and boom you could have three lunchs ready in 5 minutes.
    Sure it can be monotonous but not if you freeze some and alternate the meat, veg and sauce.

I'm looking for low carb foods to help with my diet for my diabetes. I'd like to be able to get things like flax flour, almond butter, almond milk, etc. Does anyone know where I can find these? My sister sent me some Carb Counters Instant No-cook chocolate pudding mix which is absolutely delicious. They have a website that ships to the US but I'm not sure about here.

P.S. Corn is possibly one of the WORST high-carb foods that you can eat.

Flaxmeal is in most supermarkets, but you can get it even cheaper by buying some flaxseeds and just grinding it yourself. Keep it in the fridge once ground.

Cocoa is a good ingredient for low carbers. Flaxmeal plus cocoa plus eggs = low carb muffins.

Most health food shops have almond, peanut and sometimes other nut butters.

Supermarkets often have almond milk. There's a very low carb soya milk available just about everywhere, and JC in Swords has a low carb coconut milk for drinking.

Have a look round Lidl, they have lots of single portions of fish, and some lovely greek yogurt that is very low carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Carb Counters Instant No-cook chocolate pudding mix which is absolutely delicious.

Do you have the recipe for this??

Thanks, I'll have to have a look the next time I'm there. Do you know what the name of the low carb soy milk is? I just learned that the Netrition website delivers to Ireland and the delivery charge isn't too bad- $10 or $11 for the 1-2 week delivery. However, I'm going to ask if there is any import tax before I order anything.:)

Alpo light. It's something like 0.2g of carbs.

I seem to remember ordering stuff from Netrition and the postage was stiff enough. I didn't think anything I got was wonderful enough to be worth reordering. Yes, sometimes they charge VAT, sometimes they don't, it seems to be random.

Kimia wrote: »
    Do you have the recipe for this??

It's like a powder mix that you buy and then add cream and cold water.

I just made low carb pizza which was pretty good. I used Mission Deli Wraps (wheat & white) for the crust, Tesco Italian tomato sauce (from the refrigerated pasta section), low-low mozzarella, onion, peppers, and pepperoni. Preheat the oven to 190 and cook for 10-15 minutes. It was pretty good and even my husband liked it, which was like an act of God.

Low carb muffins;

1 eggs, 2 tbs fine bran, 1 tbs cocoa (or casein powder if you have it), 1 tbs psyllium husk, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 3 tbs cold water. Mix to a batter, divide into 4-6 muffins, bake at 200C for 12-15 minutes.

• Advertisement

Eileen, excuse my ignorance, by bran do you mean flax meal or oats? Also, how important is the psyllium husk?

I am so going to try this recipe.

Advertisement