Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First grey hair and lack of motivation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Dave regarding the LSR you don't really need to do a taper for the half marathon...what LSRs have you done lately... remind me which race you are doing and which weekend?

look at Hal Higdons half marathon training plans here

if its 4 weeks away i'd be going something like 12, 14, 12, 14, race

Nules, hope MIR doesn't show any problems....a bursa:eek:...have to get googling!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Cheers Shazkea.

Anne its the Ballina half marathon on the 12th May. Longest run so far was 10 miles I know its not very far but I just cant seem to bring myslef to run very far DCM 2011 has scared me for life.

Dave thats 3 LSR and the race day so i would go 12m LSR this weekend,14m the following weekend then back to 12m and then race day....it means that 1 of your LSR has been up around half marathon distance...do the distance but make sure its slower than you hope to race at...use this to check paces, using your most recent race times
    Hope that helps:D

Edit, Dave Bar the Spring Half Marathon in early March i haven't run more that 10 mile either, but with a half coming up i think you should definitely cover the distance or come close to it, even just for Psychological (sp??) reasons

What will I do about the 10k next weekend, Would you do a run on Saturday also. My p.b is 50 minutes should I push it for a 48?

Or maybe do a long run during the week.

Sorry about all the questions

maybe a 2m warm up, 10k race and 2m col down if that suits...run the race as your able, PB if you can, plenty of time to recover for the half and next week do the 12m...take it from there...

but im no expert Dave :o see what a few other think...put it up on DCM and see what comes back....

PS no long run on Sat, do maybe a 1-2 mile gentle run!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks Anne. Some great help there. You are not doing to bad for someone that is not an "EXPERT"::)

Early start this morning out the door for at 8 for my longest run since the Waterford half. Ran 12 miles at 9.07 pace in 1.45. Felt very comfortable and when I finished I felt that I could have ran another 3 or 4 miles no problem. Then went over to see the Triathlon in Portlaoise. Might try that next year.

No running again today. Instead decided on a 4 mile walk.
    The auld back is still sore while sitting down but its so wired while moving it seems to be okay. Going to attempt a 5 mile run tomorrow evening and then club training on Thursday then take a rest until Sunday's race (10k).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Go get the back checked out Dave and don't run on it if it's at you.... seriously maybe a massage or something before a run you don't want to do any more damage. look what happened to me running on a gammy (sp??) leg/hip. :rolleyes:

@ anne you are great at the advice keep it up.

Hear what your saying Nules alright but with the pending house and now some family news;);) money is even tighter then before plus I am a man we don't go to these people until the last second.

I am thinking/hoping is just stiff and tired rubbed some Voltarol on it last night and its 50% better today

• Advertisement

Family news, great stuff ;) I hear ya with the finances, i have had to cut back on the massages and called in a favour from a physio friend to look at the MRI when i get it. Check out some stretches on the net for the back and maybe some strength ones too or invest in a pilates DVD.Foam roll the back?? can it be done. Oh why oh why did we get hooked on this running malarky :rolleyes:

Thanks. Foam roller I see loads of people of here about those things. I was actually just doing some stretches and it seems to be a bit better. The wife has one of those pilates DVD might give it a go.

Bloody running, just did up my training schedule for the marathon today.

Give the DVD a go. I know going to a class is probably not an option so the DVD is the next best thing. You tube has some good stretches and some strength exercises. Ohh its that time of the year... getting the marathon plans done... i am a little jealous to be honest :(

Great to see you back running. 5 mile race on the 30th June is looking good for ya.

Yep and i think i will make it my come back race too :) Need to get a few speed sessions in in a few weeks. I miss that torture :D

Hows the back Dave, any improvements?

Sort off Anne. Don't know if I am just willing for it to get better. Did a small jog today and it seemed to be grand. Either way its a great excuse to get a massage of the wife:D:D:D:D

Club training tomorrow night and If not good after that I will get a massage on Saturday and I have the race then Sunday.

Did a very easy 2.5 miles this evening. Felt okay after but the back was a bit on the stiff side and a tiny bit sore. But overall okay. Looking forward to Sunday now.

Two quick questions:

(1) Should I push for a sub 50 on Sunday or should I just use it as a training run bearing in mind the half marathon is in 2 weeks time

(2) Would I be okay to go for a run tomorrow/Saturday or should I just leave it now and rest up

Just wondering is there any EXPERTS out there :):):):):)

None of the Experts seem to be around;) so heres my tupence worth:D

go with how you feel on sunday and pay no attention to pace, just run by feel. IF the back is at you ease off, if not just go for it...i reckon theres enough time for a recovery before the half...on the other hand if you want the half to be your "target " race and don't want to risk not being on top form for the half then don't go so hard...... but at the end of the day its a race, so will you be able to hang back!!!

as for a run before sunday, probably no harm to do a very easy 3m to stretch out the legs and do plent of stretches on the back!!

Thanks Anne I knew I could count on you.

I would love to do a 48 will wait until the day to decide. Might just head for a run on Saturday morning slow and steady 3 miles. Going on to youtube now to look up some stretches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Did a very easy 2.5 miles this evening. Felt okay after but the back was a bit on the stiff side and a tiny bit sore. But overall okay. Looking forward to Sunday now.

Two quick questions:

(1) Should I push for a sub 50 on Sunday or should I just use it as a training run bearing in mind the half marathon is in 2 weeks time

(2) Would I be okay to go for a run tomorrow/Saturday or should I just leave it now and rest up

Just wondering is there any EXPERTS out there :):):):):)

Dave, your half is 2 weeks away which gives you plenty of time to recover from a 10k.

You paid to enter a race so you best race it. Go as hard as you can and check your time when the race is done :pac: Don't let the garmin slow you down.

Oh I like it Menoscemo. Just give it a lash and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oh I like it Menoscemo. Just give it a lash and see what happens.

Yeah if you blow up, put it down to experience. I have run loads of races by the garmin before. Sometimes I have held myself back so as to not go faster than target and left myself feeling I could have gone faster. Sometimes I have went too fast when trying to hold a target and then threw the toys out of the pram when I started to slow. On most occasions I have felt I probably would have got a better result if I had just raced to what felt right.

I generally nowadays have just a sneaky look at the garmin after half a mile to see I am not going way too fast and then another senaky look with a mile or so to go. It takes a lot of discipline not to race by the watch but I think the results are better.

I have been trying to stop looking at my watch. I have even started to turn it around the other way and only looking at it every mile. But its a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Best of luck Sunday Dave, I'd say you have a sub 50 in you (based on my minuscule knowledge and experience!). Judging by your log, I'd say you've enough work done to have a go and feel confident about it. Here's to staying injury free and feeling good on race day!

Thanks, that's the fecking hardest thing Scriba is trying to stay injury free. Must say I am feeling quiet good this evening. Looking forward to racing again

Well Dave how are you feeling about tomorrow, did you go out for a trot today?? hows the back...best of luck tomorrow and most of all ENJOY!!!:D

Cheers Anne I'm not feeling to bad. Back pain is only 10% now and very mild. Feel like I am in good form. Didn't go for a run today was wary of pain coming back plus my good wife had me up out of the bed nice and early to start the process of looking for baby stuff.

I am going to give this a good lash tomorrow.

oohh plenty of exciting times ahead for you....and i don't mean running related:D I take it, its the first so like the marathon enjoy the journey as you'll never have the first again!!!!!

Enjoy the race tomorrow!!

• Advertisement

Congrats again Dave. When is the new arrival due? Enjoy and good luck in the race tomorrow.

Advertisement