Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sled - Cart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA wrote: »
    Lads,
    Has anyone any plans or what-not for building the a "dead-sled?"

Sled
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48200?pi=831195&qs=3012739-Google_Base&subrnd=0

Actually, I am really looking for a cart
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=gfL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=deer+cart&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16573241627021629872&ei=2JI3TNHOIsH58Abz05WoBg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ8wIwAA#

This season, I tweaked the old back. Shot a 400 lb buck, must have had a 5ft rack with shovels that I now use for the spuds.

Not me, but still a BFD
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/400lb%20deer/rstaxidermy/400lbdeer.jpg

Okay, perhaps, I am just desperately out of shape. However, dragging the cull across the rough is getting a bit much. The fella I dragged 500ya really tuned me up.

How hard can it be to build a cart? Looks like a folding chair and mtb wheels. Actually, I have so many old mountain bike wheels lying around, it seems like the thing to use. Not to mention that they are perfect for the terrain I will be traversing.

If you have any pics of your rig, please provide.

I am looking to use the folding chair design with mtb wheels that have quick releases. That presents the problems of having an axle and way to bolt the axle to the frame and still allow rotation.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Wheel barrow €50 sorted :D

I have yet to see a paddy with a fancy drag sled.

Anyone who makes wheelchairs would be able to conjur up a fancy sled.

The one you have shown $90 seems the best .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

MuleDeer20093.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was shooting for years with friends and family using this .............
    015332_2008_Polaris_Sportman.jpg

........ to collect all deer shot. Bought myself a Honda quad and trailer that hooked up to the Jeep, carried the quad and when finished shooting unloaded the quad, hooked the trailer up to the quad and go collect. Did not use it always. Only on lands that we traveled a good distance.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Was shooting for years with friends and family using this .............
    015332_2008_Polaris_Sportman.jpg

........ to collect all deer shot. Bought myself a Honda quad and trailer that hooked up to the Jeep, carried the quad and when finished shooting unloaded the quad, hooked the trailer up to the quad and go collect. Did not use it always. Only on lands that we traveled a good distance.

Thats not a Quad , that's a SEx lol
    A crewcab means no need for trailer.

Trailer can cause you undue hassle on tight winding mountain/bog roads

• Advertisement

Its a Polaris Sportsman 800 "BigBoss". 800lb+ payload and dump ability on the cargo tray. It was carried with us to where we would shoot and would stay on the trailer until needed.

It was the Honda that had the dual purpose trailer. It connected to the jeep to carry the quad and then was attachable to the quad (when unloaded) to carry deer, etc.

Drawing it behind the jeep is a snip. 99% of the land i shoot has one road leading past all properties, almost like a giant one way system. No need for tight turning, besides its not an artic so a few "three point turns" and i'm out of any tight spot. Job done.

It was quite an expense to be honest and i thought long and hard about other methods before i bought, but i had other uses for the quad so went for it. My own opinon, "cry once at the start". Just buy it and regret it later. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

TackleBerry,
    Please post an image of your wheelbarrow. Next time I cull, you're the first I'll call. What are you closest too: Tipp, Galway, or Roscommon? If I ever see someone with a deer in a wheel chair, I'll definitely stop to say hello!

CJ and Ez, very nice rides. Haven't had much experience with quads - the brain is still too used to the setup for motorcycles.

With that said lads, any motorized vehicle is out. The land shown in CJ's image is nothing like what I shoot. It is some of the most inhospitable land in the country which is probably why it is not shot-out and relatively unknown. Did a bit of homework with Google - Earth...

Also, I am looking to put the old secondary school wood working classes to use. I prefer to build something like this than just buy it.

Do the lads with the quads have the hoist where you can cut n gut or do you take it back to the farm?

TackleBerry,
    Please post an image of your wheelbarrow. Next time I cull, you're the first I'll call. What are you closest too: Tipp, Galway, or Roscommon? If I ever see someone with a deer in a wheel chair, I'll definitely stop to say hello!

CJ and Ez, very nice rides. Haven't had much experience with quads - the brain is still too used to the setup for motorcycles.

With that said lads, any motorized vehicle is out. The land shown in CJ's image is nothing like what I shoot. It is some of the most inhospitable land in the country which is probably why it is not shot-out and relatively unknown. Did a bit of homework with Google - Earth...

Also, I am looking to put the old secondary school wood working classes to use. I prefer to build something like this than just buy it.

Do the lads with the quads have the hoist where you can cut n gut or do you take it back to the farm?

A guy outside Tullamore who was a keen mountain biker/soldier was paralysed after an accident.

he has made several chairs with disk breaks etc as he saw an opening.

The tublar stuff they use is very light but strong.

yer jobbie from the states is a better deal.

Tip,Get a light wheel barrow with decent hand grips, them old black ones pull the arms out of you.

I have put 3/4 Tonne weight on a barrow and we moved her. Barrows are very hardy.

You can use the same barrow to dump all the guts in, bring to your local grey hound man for disposal.

Or ask an out of work builder and he'll prob give you a barrow for free :D

I have three barrows after doing an extension on the house so i'm never short of a barrow.

I thought about making something form bike wheels lying around the house.

The wheel barrow wheel is harder puncture.

it may be crude but it works, and you can use it for grass clippings in the off season :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

A good drag rope boys ,there is no glory in it ,but the satisfaction is in the suffering .

dragging does not get easier ,it just gets faster .

cal ward would love this thread :eek:

you can buy a winch that is able to pull 3/4 tonne in most hard ware stores.

It is hand cranked but saves a lot of muleing

The Plolaris is a savage machine, but I hear ya on the gears cluths breaks steering etc.

I have been riding bikes since 1996 and the first time i got on a quad i near killed myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I'll have to post some images so you can see the kind of terrain I am talking about. We're talking the kind of misery you [might] remember from the old days footing turf in the bog + drainage ditches from the forestry that often need to be crossed.

The wheelbarrow is a good idea, especially scavenging the handles, however, the wheel hasn't a hope of rotating. The mtb wheels are a must.

The rope is what I have been using, but there's a fair bit of muck - nasty muck at that, that kind of stuff that makes you understand where the term mal-aria (bad-air) comes from.

The dead sled just might be the way to go. I don't know anyone that has used it, was wondering how it would work over here.

I'll have to post some images so you can see the kind of terrain I am talking about. We're talking the kind of misery you [might] remember from the old days footing turf in the bog + drainage ditches from the forestry that often need to be crossed.

The wheelbarrow is a good idea, especially scavenging the handles, however, the wheel hasn't a hope of rotating. The mtb wheels are a must.

The rope is what I have been using, but there's a fair bit of muck - nasty muck at that, that kind of stuff that makes you understand where the term mal-aria (bad-air) comes from.

The dead sled just might be the way to go. I don't know anyone that has used it, was wondering how it would work over here.

You need to find a Gillie!

Much easier drag a stag if you have another with you.
    No mountinbike wheel will cross drains either.

Can't beat Human power, if you can get it. I struggle to get folk to help out.

i often ring my old man and he gives me a dig out, pensioner or not he's as good as a Clydesdale :D

You need to find a Gillie!

Much easier drag a stag if you have another with you.
    No mountinbike wheel will cross drains either.

Can't beat Human power, if you can get it. I struggle to get folk to help out.

i often ring my old man and he gives me a dig out, pensioner or not he's as good as a Clydesdale :D

cal and his wheel barrow might come south for the winter ,sorted .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

i was smiggin foxes with the terriers springtime few years ago in wicklow , and came across a ewe in bother so went back for the farmer , he arrived back to collect the ewe with a wheel barrow with a 12" mini car wheel in it of he went like a good thing up the hill back to the farm , and he was sixty or seventy years old amazing !!!

How about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

"Tip,Get a light wheel barrow with decent hand grips, them old black ones pull the arms out of you.

I have put 3/4 Tonne weight on a barrow and we moved her. Barrows are very hardy."

WTF ......

You are on the wrong forum for construction !
    <see magpie forum>

I cut the bottom of one of those plastic caged large square drums (@50£;) approx 8' high from bottom with a rope for a handle, works great downhill and holds dirt ,blood ect

"Tip,Get a light wheel barrow with decent hand grips, them old black ones pull the arms out of you.

I have put 3/4 Tonne weight on a barrow and we moved her. Barrows are very hardy."

WTF ......

You are on the wrong forum for construction !
    <see magpie forum>

I cut the bottom of one of those plastic caged large square drums (@50£;) approx 8' high from bottom with a rope for a handle, works great downhill and holds dirt ,blood ect

I was using the weight to state how TOUGH they are, as if you drop the barrow it will still be able to work.
    The barrow fits into the back of most small vans and pickups.
    It is cheap or even free!
    A barrow is light and can be pulled Up or Down hill!

A mans best friend ,i dragged the other two hinds and calf .

jwshooter wrote: »

I may get a Mastiff :D

Fair play to the dogín for dragging that!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

I am looking to use the folding chair design with mtb wheels that have quick releases. That presents the problems of having an axle and way to bolt the axle to the frame and still allow rotation.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

put the axle through a tube/pipe and weld the pipe onto your cart.
    the idea already posted about using the base of a caged plastic drum is spot on, just weld your pipe and axle onto the bars across the bottom.
    should work well enough, but attaching MTB wheels to a cross axle could be tricky enough, or else i just lack imagination(most likely).

• Advertisement

7 foot of webbing , i use a horses girth strap the saddle maker sowes it up for me .A inch ring also off the saddle maker . 7 foot of lite climbing rope .

wrap the webbing around your shoulders like a rucksack ,bend the back let the ears back and pull .

once you get the hang of it you can drag a big hybrid stag on several hinds , suffering is in the mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

That WP is earning his keep JW. :D Must be feeding venison scraps. :D

A drag rope and the will to pull it.
    Cut sleds from a plastic drum, attach drag rope and off you go. Low tech but they work.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0080500420201a.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

I have a saint bernard who is as strong as an ox but if I attached a weight like that to him he would lie down in protest!

In regards to the op you seem to talk as if there will be a few of ye shooting?? If so what I do is get a stick (handle of a brush or cut one in the field) and pierce it through the two back legs of the deer.

All you need then is a person on each end of the stick to pull!

There is a few factors involved in dragging .number one is fitness .
    number two is .
    A few years ago i was on the hill with john lambert one eve early in september ,it was more a stretch of the legs that a hunt .

any we spotted two groups of deer i stalked one and john stalked the other .i stalked into a few hybrids ,there was a sika nobber among them ,i reckoned i would kill this lad for the table .
    any way lite was just gone as i got into them ,i found a lovely rest and waited a while to see whats what . the animals were moving down hill away from me as is usual in the eve .no sign of my nobber ,i gave a few moments still no sign so i gave a few hind calls ,up came a stags head over the tall heather ,not much of a yolk so "whack" under the chin with the 243 .

i sent my dog to give her a run , fu@k me as i got to him, his body was huge ,a bloody hybrid ,this was just after 7pm .it was half 9 and i getting him to the pick up point in black dark two hours dragging in the dark ,in tall heather and gorse .god bless head lites

lambert laughed for most of the way home .

the next day in work ,i could hardly move again john called and laughed .so number two is bring a friend .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Is that Mistys granny Misty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

TackleBerry,

Fella who used to post on here - not seen him about much in the past while. He had a deer, or two, in a wheel barrow in a pic he put online.

Be a waste of time around here, the bog wouldn't be having it. Mind you if the ground is suitable then fair enough if it works.

(Still prefer the quads myself).

Is that Mistys granny Misty?

no thats my young bitch misty .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

There is a few factors involved in dragging .number one is fitness .
    number two is .
    A few years ago i was on the hill ..................

lambert laughed for most of the way home .

the next day in work ,i could hardly move again john called and laughed .so number two is bring a friend .

To take the piss????????????????:rolleyes:

A friend in need is a friend in.............................;)

It's always handy to let folk know where you are going stalking; and that their services might be required at a later stage.

Sometimes drag to nearest road, then ring mate to collect you; and drop you back to your car.
    From there you can drive back to the spot where you were.

Remembering to have Marked your spot.
    Tying a plastic bag to a tree is a good trick as if it rains it will still be there as opposed to a piece of tissue tied to a tree which might fall off if it gets wet!

http://zjdaji.en.alibaba.com/product/257033300-209624165/Folding_Stretcher.html

One of these might be handy, the Civ Def or Fire service periodically get rid of them, you might get one for nothing!
    Tie a harness to it that you also got for nothing as it also was out ogf date and you have a sled you can drag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Best one I ever saw for dragging over was an old car roof off somthing small[mini? or renault4?] in Austria.The four pillars worked well as lashing points,it was light enough to pull up hill on semi Alpine meadows,and worked very well in the Winter months for snow.Just was noisy on stony surfaces,but with a red deer carcass on it that wasnt too much of a problem.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement