Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭nerd69

not to pushed about williams making a sb not he made his choice id much rather see an andre johnson or larry fitz or calvin johnson type player whos stuck with there team through some rough years win it.(i know there all wrs no particular reason for that just the first 3 that came to mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

nerd69 wrote: »
    not to pushed about williams making a sb not he made his choice id much rather see an andre johnson or larry fitz or calvin johnson type player whos stuck with there team through some rough years win it.(i know there all wrs no particular reason for that just the first 3 that came to mind)

What the friggin' fudge nuts.

Mario Williams would have been very, very happy to stay in Houston and the Texans would have been very, very happy to have him but the cap situation and the emergence of other good pass rushers in his absences last season, who are far cheaper, meant the writing was on the wall. This isn't a Haynesworth situation, he'd probably have accepted noticeably less if the Texans had been able to offer it.

Syferus wrote: »
    What the friggin' fudge nuts.

Mario Williams would have been very, very happy to stay in Houston and the Texans would have been very, very happy to have him but the cap situation and the emergence of other good pass rushers in his absences last season, who are far cheaper, meant the writing was on the wall. This isn't a Haynesworth situation, he'd probably have accepted noticeably less if the Texans had been able to offer it.

haha What the friggin' fudge nuts is my favorite quote ever well played sir.

ya i see your point with that he does seem like a decent chap il retract my statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Colts sign Ravens safety Tom Zbikowski

Makes perfect sense, Chuck Pagano was secondary coach in Baltimore before becoming DC

Zibby spent the lockout on the boxing circut fighting at cruiserweight and light heavyweight

Here's an old video from his Notre Dame days

That's the second safety signed away from the Ravens today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As expected Raiders cut Wimbley, loving this off-season so far. Made excellent moves all across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    Not sure what i make of Abraham, he's a situational pass rusher that looks on the decline.
    Abraham signs a 3 year deal with Atlanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Raiders sign former Texans guard Mike Beisel and former Rams cornerback Ron Bertell, two solid pick-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Abraham signs a 3 year deal with Atlanta.

Probably because we were too busy getting jilted by Manning in Raleigh to properly sort a visit. Not pushed anyways, past it and situational.

Probably because we were too busy getting jilted by Manning in Raleigh to properly sort a visit. Not pushed anyways, past it and situational.
    Come on spiral - cheer up - Hayes, McClain and Trufant all had medicals yesterday.

Come on spiral - cheer up - Hayes, McClain and Trufant all had medicals yesterday.

Per orangemane, none signed and we're just looking to re-sign Joe Mays and Wesley Woodyard instead. I wouldn't blame them not signing, pure insult that our DC had to meet him because nobody was home.

If we sign nobody apart from Adams in Free Agency, and that's now highly likely, it's a ****ing disgrace with the money we have. We're going to feel like massive gob****es when Manning goes to the Niners or Titans and we've 50 million in the bank that could have gone on Mario Williams or something. smh

• Advertisement

Per orangemane, none signed and we're just looking to re-sign Joe Mays and Wesley Woodyard instead. I wouldn't blame them not signing, pure insult that our DC had to meet him because nobody was home.

If we sign nobody apart from Adams in Free Agency, and that's now highly likely, it's a ****ing disgrace with the money we have. We're going to feel like massive gob****es when Manning goes to the Niners or Titans and we've 50 million in the bank that could have gone on Mario Williams or something. smh
    Spiral - you should be aware that the strategy of EXF is to build through the draft and use free agency for depth. Last year they didn't throw money around and they won't do it this year - with the sole exception of getting the best ever free agent to hit FA. EXF made it clear two weeks ago that their intention was to attempt to re-sign all their free agents and add a few more for competition - trying to re-sign Mays and Woodyard was always going to happen. Furthermore the free agent contracts are negotiated by Mike Sullivan who was in Denver. Last year the Broncos made most of their signings towards the end of free agency - I don't expect it to be any different this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Justin10

Spiral just a guy I follow on twitter has been spot on and a day or more ahead of main stream media.

He claims the contract is done with the Broncos, claimed this a while back and still does.

In saying that, cant figure out why he was allowed leave Denver?

I think Denver have a great chance, 49ers are the best team though but many in the media claimed he wouldnt go to the NFC.

If that is true then its a 50/50.
    Do agree with you that Denver have really put all the eggs in one basket.

While the Chargers and Chiefs have been doing pretty well this off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Brady Quinn to the Chiefs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Mario Manningham joins Randy Moss in San Francisco.

The 49ers are set for a Superbowl run next year, they're now the best team in the league no matter if Manning or Smith is at QB.

Would honestly love to see Smith getting to play with so many weapons after suffering behind bad o-lines and minimal passing weapons for so many years. Davis, Moss, Crabtree and Manningham are as good a set as any in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Davis, Moss, Crabtree and Manningham are as good a set as any in the league.

Let me get this straight....

You've got a 35 year old who hasn't played football in over a year and didn't do anything the year before when he was playing (and I use the term "playing" lightly - couldn't get on the field for the Titans or the Vikings, was too busy not giving a damn).

You've also got a wide receiver who is coming from a team where he was 3rd on the depth chart where he barely put up over 500 yards with a measly 4 touchdowns last year.

You've got a #10 overall pick who has shown nothing like what a #10 should expect, who is more concerned with getting paid and bad mouthing his own QB than he is learning how to run a route properly.

And you've got Vernon Davis, who I won't say a bad word about

You're saying those 4 guys are better than, say...

Wes Welker coming off of a 1,600 yard season, two tight ends in Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez who had more yards and touchdowns between them than those four 49ers players above had added together, and Brandon Lloyd who put up 1,400 yards the last time he was in this system.

Not one of those 49ers receivers is better than his Patriots' counterpart. Saints, Packers and Falcons also have better receiving depth than the 49ers. You're talking out of your hoop. Don't be so reactionary.

I didn't say they were the 'best'. The Patriots passing game is obviously loaded like a Saturn V rocket at this point. Saints are ahead of them too but the balance the 49ers offer now means they're very much comparable to the Saints now.

The fact is Moss is obviously hungry, and from all reports, can still play. Crabtree has undoubted talent and should flourish now that he has other receivers that'll draw attention. Manningham's always impressed me, he was a little unlucky that last season, when the Giants let Smith go and opened up a opportunity for him, Cruz emerged with such a ridiculous stat-line. He's certainly one of the very best #3's in the league, and that's obvious how he'll be used in San Fran. Davis is obviously top 5 material in terms of tight ends and will probably have more impact now teams won't be able to just account for him in the red zone and man-mark everyone else.

The 49ers have built a balanced and cost-effective passing attack this off season and that was just about their only weakness. The fact they have a very good line and top class backs will also contribute hugely to their passing game, neither the Packers, Lions or Patriots (last season's most effective passing teams outside the Saints) have that sort of balance.

Harbaugh'll be opening up the passing game more next season now he has some weapons and that - likely - Smith is developing and settled in the system.

I didn't say they were the 'best'. The Patriots passing game is obviously loaded like a Saturn V rocket at this point. Saints are ahead of them too but the balance the 49ers offer now means they're very much comparable to the Saints now.

The fact is Moss is obviously hungry, and from all reports, can still play. Crabtree has undoubted talent and should flourish now that he has other receivers that'll draw attention. Manningham's always impressed me, he was a little unlucky that last season, when the Giants let Smith go and opened up a opportunity for him, Cruz emerged with such a ridiculous stat-line. He's certainly one of the very best #3's in the league, and that's obvious how he'll be used in San Fran. Davis is obviously top 5 material in terms of tight ends and will probably have more impact now teams won't be able to just account for him in the red zone and man-mark everyone else.

The 49ers have built a balanced and cost-effective passing attack this off season and that was just about their only weakness. The fact they have a very good line and top class backs will also contribute hugely to their passing game, neither the Packers, Lions or Patriots (last season's most effective passing teams outside the Saints) have that sort of balance.

Harbaugh'll be opening up the passing game more next season now he has some weapons and that - likely - Smith is developing and settled in the system.

sorry syf im gona have to disagree with you there there an improvement over last year but still not near top 5 in the nfl davis is a beast probably the bet recieving te in the nfl at this stage. but in my opinion
    moss-blessed with talent and should have beaten jerry rices numbers but is one of the biggest wastes of talent iv ever seen he could be a good receiver but i cant see it at this stage

manningham- is not that good at all iv been watching him since he was drafted and hes never overly impressed he performed in the sb so credit where credit is due but the pats where letting him open trying to cover other recievers

crabtree-has shown flashes but i cant see him turning into the player he could have been seems a bit lazy to me but i cant discount him if he puts in a good offseason and making a sb will motivate him now it didn't seem possible before

off the top of my head id put
    pats
    eagles
    giants
    falcons
    saints
    lions
    packers
    cowboys
    texans
    ahead of them

this is just my opinion but i think there level with
    bengals
    chiefs
    redskins(although much more cost effective)
    and maby giants(but there just as likely to pull another few receivers out of nowhere

i agree that there cheaper than some of the above and alex smith is not as bad as people think so he's going to help just don't thing there better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Just saw on twitter (Jamie cuthridge), can't link on phone, that smith is talking to Miami. Surely that means 49ers are seriously talking to manning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Justin10

Slow down there. If that 49ers pass rush slows down they become middle of the table.

49ers offence is poor. had I think 1-15 3rd down converted in the playoffs two weeks in a row.

Yes Manning will help that, but I in no way think there near a finished article.
    Good team though and if Manning goes there, im sure they will be in the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Alex Smith has sacked Tom Condon as his agent - big surprised there given how things have panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Matt Flynn just signed with Seattle - 3 years, $26m. As a Dolphins fan, I am not a happy camper at all.

Benimar wrote: »
    Matt Flynn just signed with Seattle - 3 years, $26m. As a Dolphins fan, I am not a happy camper at all.
    What happens the 49ers if Smith signs for Miami and Manning picks the Broncos or Titans?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

What happens the 49ers if Smith signs for Miami and Manning picks the Broncos or Titans?

Go wih Kaepernik I assume. Smith won't end up in Miami anyway. The Dolphins will F this one up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

I've had to sign up just to vent my frustration. It's really hard work being a Miami fan at the minute. Any slack I was prepared to cut Stephen Ross is gone. He's turned a once proud franchise into a laughing stock.

There's clearly no leadership in the franchise. Things have gone backward not forward since the end of the season. How is Jeff Ireland still in a job?

We'll be lucky to be competing in 3 years time never mind next year which, considering some of the talent at their disposal, is scandalous. Even the Bills can sign a big name free agent! :mad:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Matt Moore did a good/decentish job last year

Would you be happy with Matt Moore next season?

Seemed to improve as the season went on

Benimar wrote: »
    Go wih Kaepernik I assume. Smith won't end up in Miami anyway. The Dolphins will F this one up too.
    The 49ers themselves will admit that Kaepernik is not ready and won't be for a couple of years - that's why they offered Smith a 3 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

Moore did a solid job last year and might do again next year. I'd love to know how he is feeling at the minute? I know I'd be fairly pissed off if I was him. The powers that be in Miami clearly have no faith in him.

His main weapon has been taken away from him in Brandon Marshall and his job has been touted to just about ever QB with a functioning shoulder (and some without). The front office have been absolutely appalling.

The worst part of it is that I was never really sold on Matt Flynn. Giving him big money would have been madness.

The frustrating part for me is that over the last 10 years the front office has consistently made poor decisions and failed to address the quarterback position and made a hash of it again this offseason.

I don't think Tannehil is the answer and certainly not worth drafting at 8.

The 49ers themselves will admit that Kaepernik is not ready and won't be for a couple of years - that's why they offered Smith a 3 year contract.

Niners could well take weeden themselves though, good chance he's available at 30

• Advertisement

Niners could well take weeden themselves though, good chance he's available at 30
    Yes they could - outside of Luck and Griffin (and possibly ahead of Griffin) he is the only NFL ready QB - part of the reason I think the Broncos will take him at 25.

49ers fans now praying that if Manning doesn't sign with them he goes to titans so they can get Hasselback.

Advertisement