Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Very confused now! I was told a number of weeks ago that I was ranked 117 in the hr sub campaign and that the first 100 were through to the next stage. Then at 23:22 tonight I got an email from public jobs with an application form for stage 3 to be returned by 23rd may. Anyone else get this? Bit of a strange time to send such correspondence no?

I ranked early 200s and got the stage 3 form too. First 100 may not have been adequately experienced or dropped out for other sub campaigns. Take it as good news. We are still in with a shot.

This is great news for the people involved. Now the people who passed the tests are at least being given a chance to submit an application. From past experience it is annoying when are arent even given a chance to sell yourself.

Hopefully they will extend the same offer to the people further down on tax policy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

evelyn23 wrote: »
    Me too, its such a pain just waiting.

I wonder does this mean that a lot of the top 100 that completed stage 3 are not suitable? Or it may mean there are more jobs than first thought?!

The former I'd imagine. A lot of people seemed to be applying for areas where they had no experience working in, so lets say 20% of people did that and created 20 places.

However, if they are delving into people who scored in the 200's (not being critical of those people btw - the scoring system is all over the place) you'd wonder if there are more jobs available. To go from first only considering 100 people to considering 200+ people is quite a jump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

delricyo wrote: »
    This is great news for the people involved. Now the people who passed the tests are at least being given a chance to submit an application. From past experience it is annoying when are arent even given a chance to sell yourself.

Hopefully they will extend the same offer to the people further down on tax policy :)

Well let's hope they will extend the limit for all outstanding sub-campaigns, even if it's to just to give everyone a level playing pitch. I think the key is to really sell yourself on the form. I put down everything bar the kitchen sink. I spent two full days on it. I just hope it's all not an exercise in futility!

anbodhran wrote: »
    The former I'd imagine. A lot of people seemed to be applying for areas where they had no experience working in, so lets say 20% of people did that and created 20 places.

However, if they are delving into people who scored in the 200's (not being critical of those people btw - the scoring system is all over the place) you'd wonder if there are more jobs available. To go from first only considering 100 people to considering 200+ people is quite a jump.

It looks like there is also a new HR unit being established. This story is running in the press today:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/single-hr-system-for-state-will-cost-26m-3116947.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It looks like there is also a new HR unit being established. This story is running in the press today:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/single-hr-system-for-state-will-cost-26m-3116947.html

maybe it will speed up the recruitment process next time:D

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    maybe it will speed up the recruitment process next time:D

In fairness to Howlin & Co, they seem to be trying to make the service more professional, efficient, and more in line with the private sector.

No mention of extra jobs in the unit. I did spot a posting a while back for a manager of such a unit, but I suppose there must be some additional HR jobs available as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tricky@

In fairness to Howlin & Co, they seem to be trying to make the service more professional, efficient, and more in line with the private sector.

No mention of extra jobs in the unit. I did spot a posting a while back for a manager of such a unit, but I suppose there must be some additional HR jobs available as a result.

Just routed through some old vacancy/secondment work emails... in February this year Dept of Public Expentiture were looking for 6 existing civil servants (2 assistant principals, 3 HEO/AO's and 1 EO) to be seconded for 2 years in order to set up this unit.

Just sent off my stage 3 application for the HR subcompetition with 5 minutes to spare before the deadline so hopefully I'll be joining them there someday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

2 interesting links for those still following this competition:

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-05-22.1085.0

http://per.gov.ie/2012/05/22/government-announces-plans-for-a-civil-service-wide-human-resources-shared-service-centre-hrssc/

I know the 2nd one has already been highlighted but this may have more info

http://per.gov.ie/2012/05/22/government-announces-plans-for-a-civil-service-wide-human-resources-shared-service-centre-hrssc/

Well it's certainly looking good for the Economics people.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

I'm assuming that the 29 jobs mentioned in the first link is just for the Department of Public Expenditure rather than across the Civil Service.

I can't imagine much need there for law graduates (my sub-category :)). I'd assume the legal AO jobs would be in Justice or Foreign Affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

nehemiah wrote: »

I'm assuming that the 29 jobs mentioned in the first link is just for the Department of Public Expenditure rather than across the Civil Service.

I can't imagine much need there for law graduates (my sub-category :)). I'd assume the legal AO jobs would be in Justice or Foreign Affairs.

I'd say Justice, Taoiseachs and maybe Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. Maybe not Foreign Affairs, they have a department specific AO grade - 3rd Secretary, which there is very limited recruitment to every 3 or 4 years or thereabouts, probably less now since I think our foreign development aid budget has been cut. Those posts are probably the single most difficult to get in the entire civil service too, I guess they have a glamour appeal. I think the Public Expenditure and Reform posts are mainly economics and also a few HR and Accountancy posts too. The HR shared services project is under them too, so obviously that's where quite a few HR posts will be created.

PS to all the economics applicants, PAS advertised a chief economist role to head the new Economic Division in Dept Finance yesterday; I think this bodes well for the AO economist stream in that it now runs right to the top (Assistant Secretary grade). I think we are finally getting ourselves in shape ala the Government Economic Service in the UK, albeit on a smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lord_lucan

Does anyone know the number of places expected for each sub campaign?
    The only one where there is any indication of numbers is Economics.
    My guesses are approximately
    Economics: 17 because it specifies in article
    Banking/Finance: 10 as Sec gen indicated they were very short staffed but still is only single department
    Tax: 5 as very specific role
    HR, Law and Accounting would be needed across all departments so would probably be up around the 15 mark each.
    This gives a total of around 75 so for anyone who has previously gone through the AO application process would this be far to high for a single campaign or would you expect more/less than above figures in each of the sub campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Got an email saying that Law applications will be done in the next few weeks with interviews etc being defined from then on.

Shame for me as that pretty much rules me out of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OBSC

Was that this morning Lockstep? Haven't gotten anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 judymoody

Lockstep wrote: »
    Got an email saying that Law applications will be done in the next few weeks with interviews etc being defined from then on.

Shame for me as that pretty much rules me out of the competition.

Hi - was that email in response to an enquiry from you - or was it a general email? Also - did anyone on this thread sit the written assessment for the judicial support position - and if so, how did you get on?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Napper McCann

Hey, I did the Judicial Support Staff exam, was quite tough actually. Haven't heard anything about Law category yet for the Civil Service either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It was an enquiry I made. Crying shame for me but hopefully it'll work out better for ye guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maxol

Jese I filled the HR form out in 15 mins during a lunch break...I nearly died when I read on this thread that someone spent 2 days on it!!!! Uh oh...

maxol wrote: »
    Jese I filled the HR form out in 15 mins during a lunch break...I nearly died when I read on this thread that someone spent 2 days on it!!!! Uh oh...

Well having got so far it would be crazy to shoot yourself in the foot and not get short listed simply because you submitted a form in haste. Especially since most of the HR people ranked below 100 thought we were dead and buried already.

Well having got so far it would be crazy to shoot yourself in the foot and not get short listed simply because you submitted a form in haste. Especially since most of the HR people ranked below 100 thought we were dead and buried already.

I did the initial form in bed one Saturday morning after the night before. Would have given it 30 mins max. Got a fright when I saw about 1,000 people were ruled out at that stage!

Getting fairly bored now by the whole process, which started back a good four months ago!

• Advertisement

I did the initial form in bed one Saturday morning after the night before. Would have given it 30 mins max. Got a fright when I saw about 1,000 people were ruled out at that stage!

Getting fairly bored now by the whole process, which started back a good four months ago!

The completed form I submitted was nearly 9 pages long. I put in lot of detail about the course modules I studied and my work experience. That said, they might get bored reading it half way through and send me a PFO email.

The completed form I submitted was nearly 9 pages long. I put in lot of detail about the course modules I studied and my work experience. That said, they might get bored reading it half way through and send me a PFO email.

Yeah, personally that's too long for me, but in fairness that's the way the recruitment process goes. It mightn't be about who the best candidate is, rather who a specific person likes and decides to take a punt on.

Yeah, personally that's too long for me, but in fairness that's the way the recruitment process goes. It mightn't be about who the best candidate is, rather who a specific likes and decides to take a punt on.

Well now that the Economics people are sorted, let's hope the HR people will be put out of our misery fairly soon.

maxol wrote: »

I've spent a long many years on the receiving end of these type of forms..last thing you want is someone who can't be concise and to the point. I want an overview of the qualifications and a sense of the person not their every scrap of something they can muster to tell me!! I'm hoping the civil servants reviewing the hundreds of forms are feeling the same way!!!

Just got an email to say I've made it to the interview stage, on Monday 11th. Anyone else get anything?

I'll have to do a bit or running around now to get my papework in order. Are copies of college transcripts ok or what did people end up doing in the likes of the economics stream?

Just got an email to say I've made it to the interview stage, on Monday 11th. Anyone else get anything?

I'll have to do a bit or running around now to get my papework in order. Are copies of college transcripts ok or what did people end up doing in the likes of the economics stream?

Im down for the 12th in the afternoon. I'm going to bring transcripts and degree Certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Congratulations to both of you on getting to interview stage - no mean feat ! I wonder how many overall they're interviewing for the HR roles & more importantly how many positions are available?

Best of luck to all in the process !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 twinkletoes3000

The message I received said that they are inviting 34 to the interview stage. I, however, will not be one of them.

Got it! Jese not much notice considering the bank holiday!! Fairly sure I have all that paperwork somewhere..where is the question!!

Yeah says 34 being interviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 evelyn23

I got an interview for Mon 11th June also at 11.50, im actually out of the country, typical!! Back that night, wonder what are the chances of rescheduling to the Tuesday? Will give it a try :eek:

Advertisement