Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Benefits for UK Residents

• 01-08-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there, my friend is moving to Dublin from the UK to look for work. Do you know if she can sign on immediately while she is looking for work? or long does she need to be living here before she can claim social welfare? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

moving to dublin from the uk for work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ha Ha Ha .... HE he He He,,,,,,,,,,,very good....
    its the way ya tell em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aissmythsmh

Mmmmmmmm you didn't answer my question

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

yes, any european citizan is entitled to claim the relevent payment (job seekers allowance, social security, dole, etc) in any european country as long as they are seeking employment, have an address, and are residing in that country

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Was your friend claiming benefit in the uk and if so what type? If so I think you may be able to claim jobseekers benefit here but it would be at the uk rate for a certain number of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

Does the habitual residence clause not apply for social assistance payments?

Not sure what habitual residence is?? She was claiming the dole in the UK for the last 3 months. 65pounds a week I think. It's mad that she can move over here & just sign on tho...in that case anyone can move here can do it.....seems very lax does it not? She would be staying with a friend so maybe she just needs proof that she is staying at that address etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

by "dole" do you mean Jobseekers Benefit or Jobseekers Allowance? If she is claiming Jobseekers Benefit, she can go to her local Job Centre Plus and arrange to have the 65 pounds paid to her here for 78 days. see below:
    (c) Transfer of Benefit - Article 64
    Under this Article a person who is fully unemployed and has been in receipt of JB in one of the European countries for at least 4 weeks, may transfer this benefit to one of the other European countries for 13 weeks,(78 days) provided the person is seeking employment in that country. The Competent State (the State paying the JB) may extend the period of 78 days to 6 months in certain circumstances. The person registers as unemployed in the country to which s/he travels and the competent institution pays the benefit to the person while s/he is seeking employment in that country.

If shes on Jobseekers Allowance in England than she will have to fulfill the HRC to get it here. and she wont fulfill it ,so she wont get anything.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html

thanks very much for that info. I know that they signed off in the uk about 4 weeks ago would they need to sign on again over in the UK in order to transfer it? or could they come over right now & sign on untill they find work etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

chasm wrote: »
    Does the habitual residence clause not apply for social assistance payments?

You can transfer JB but not JA from Ireland to UK, I expect it can also be transfered from UK to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

thanks very much for that info. I know that they signed off in the uk about 4 weeks ago would they need to sign on again over in the UK in order to transfer it? or could they come over right now & sign on untill they find work etc?
    the easiest way to find out is for them to pop down to the Job Centre in the morning or definitely before they make any more plans to move to Ireland. or are they here already, is that it?:eek: not a good move if thats it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    the easiest way to find out is for them to pop down to the Job Centre in the morning or definitely before they make any more plans to move to Ireland. or are they here already, is that it?:eek: not a good move if thats it!

Was thinking that myself! aissmythsmh if your friend has signed off already in the UK, are we right to assume they are on jobseekers allowance not benefit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement