Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cancellation

• 18-01-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Anybody know how to do this, I was on hold yesterday for 20 mins and just gave up

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My parents have the same issue, they actually got a person on the phone after ages and where told they have to send an email to an email address!

UPC upgraded their package without there permission because my brother was going over the cap on their download limit. fair enough he is going over the limit but i dont think its right that they can upgrade the package and take more money off my retired parents without their permission!!

Every other Broadband company would restrict the line rather than taking this action. Anyways, they are having the same problem as you, UPC are clearly making it difficult for people to cancel their contract, especially older people who would not have a clue how to send an email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

keithgeo wrote: »
    My parents have the same issue, they actually got a person on the phone after ages and where told they have to send an email to an email address!

UPC upgraded their package without there permission because my brother was going over the cap on their download limit. fair enough he is going over the limit but i dont think its right that they can upgrade the package and take more money off my retired parents without their permission!!

Every other Broadband company would restrict the line rather than taking this action. Anyways, they are having the same problem as you, UPC are clearly making it difficult for people to cancel their contract, especially older people who would not have a clue how to send an email!

Isnt there a fair usage policy with UPC - 250g a month before they contact you to tell you that their policy is regarding fair usage ? It seems unusual that they would charge you without a warning first.

By the way if it is the case, your brother needs a word if he is downloading over 250g a month and impacting on your retired parents bill !! The least he could do is send an email for them out of the large download traffic he is creating!

The data transfer allowances for the various packages are

15GB for Fibre Power Broadband 1Mb users,
    40GB for Fibre Power Broadband 8Mb users,
    120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 10Mb and 15Mb users,
    250GB for Fibre Power Broadband 20Mb and 30Mb users and
    500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb users.

“Excessive use” of the Service is defined as usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance.

If you exceed your monthly data transfer allowance as determined by UPC, in our sole judgment, UPC may take any of the following actions, or any combination thereof:

Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit;
    and/or Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee;

and/or Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same;

and/or Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or Terminate your account as per the terms of the User Policy and UPC Terms and Conditions

haha yeh i know the cap is 120gb i think on the package they where on and he hit 140, now i know its his own fault etc he swears he isnt downloading that much but of course he probably is. They did recieve a warning letter and my parents went mental at him, he swore he hasnt downloaded anything in the two months since and yet UPC again sent out a letter saying he was over 140gigs that month.

Im sure its in the contract that they can upgrade you without your permission, i still dont think its right though, they should throttle the broadband connection like other companys do, my parents explicitly told them on the phone they want to cancel the whole thing and do not want to upgrade and yet they got a letter the other day telling them they where upgraded.

the UPC customer services said they cannot cancel it over the phone and needed an email sent to a specific address.

Ive since talked to my parents and explained the package to them and it is in fact cheaper than the one i currently pay myself but i still dont think its right that they upgrade them when they told them out straight over the phone they didnt want to be upgraded and wanted to cancel their subscription.

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Anybody know how to do this, I was on hold yesterday for 20 mins and just gave up

Write an email saying you are giving them the 30 days notice from today of your decision to cancel.

resolutionteam@upc.ie is the email address. Register it for read receipt. Ask for confirmation of receipt from them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

STB wrote: »
    Write an email saying you are giving them the 30 days notice from today of your decision to cancel.

I always thought it had to be snail mail. No?

Send a registered letter to UPC giving 30 days notice to quit.
    Address from website,
    UPC
    PO Box 321
    Dublin 3

• Advertisement

keithgeo. It is in the contract. I highlighted it above. You need to restrict your brothers usage! Thats ridiculous. If he isnt downloading "that much" or "anything" then you need to clear the PC/laptop of the trojans/rootkits etc on it if he inadvertently doesnt understand that it is being used as a server!

You can get a list of the traffic from UPC (as the bill payer). You will know exactly what he is doing then.

ah i know im not arguing the fact he is downloading too much and broke the terms of the contract, my problem is with UPC upgrading the package on my parents after they explicitly told them on the phone they wanted to cancel the entire thing and they wouldnt do it over the phone said they had to send an email! They didnt have to send an email to sign up to it, i dont see why the need to send one to cancel it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Guys this is a satellite forum, UPC is cable. Perhaps a mod can move this so you can get more responses.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

i sent email yesterday morning to resolutionteam@upc.ie
    to cancel my UPC tv package, since i got no information ab. price increases. I first read it from here boards.ie last week. Called them, they told that it have been published in newspapers, i told to them that i dont read newspapers.
    I told them that im gonna cancel my services because they have failed to communicate this to me as per their t/c.

Now i just got an email from them, that my cancellation date is set to 22.feb 2010, and final bill with any outstanding amount will be sent after that.
    Now just let see, if they are trying to charge the early disconnection fee..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I sent the email yesterday. My cancellation day is the 24th. I think I will be going a couple of days into the next month. They better only charge me for those few days.

Delighted to be going to sky. Wont have to deal with there awful customer service again. What kinda of company just hangs up on you. It's beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

What did you say, I sent mine last week and have heard nothing

What did you say, I sent mine last week and have heard nothing

Did you ask for a read receipt? In fairness, for the first time ever they got back to me very quickly.

I just said, take notice, I am giving 30 days notice of cancelling my subscription, as instructed by a member of UPC staff.

Please acknowledge receipt of this email.
    Etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

any of you guys that are cancelling get offered a better deal to try and get you to stay?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    any of you guys that are cancelling get offered a better deal to try and get you to stay?

Ya, €5 off for 12 months or €20 off for four months. And sky sports and movies for two months. Not good enough, awful service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ya, €5 off for 12 months or €20 off for four months. And sky sports and movies for two months. Not good enough, awful service

Well, I find the service pretty good. I have the basic tv pack and 8gb bb pack, €45 per month(recent price hike). Everything has been working grand for the last 6-8 months, before that the bb went down a couple of times which was annoying.

Anyway, I was offered a better discount than that, along with the offer of free phone line which I didnt take as have no need. Wasn't offered any sky sports/movies though, and did have to sign a new contract.

Advertisement