Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

kencoo wrote: »
    sickening to be beaten like that. I felt that Tyrone had resigned to be beaten - hmmm...

There are positives though in that in the past 3 games only a point between the teams against strong opposition without some of our best players. Interestingly we also have the highest amount of scores..... both for and against....

Id take relegation if we could just beat dublin next week and league form says we should be close.

Is beating Dublin in the league really that important to you? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Jason Ryan making a number of changes in the final 10 mins thinking the game was over came back to bite him on the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

I think it was more of a time wasting exercise. It totally distorted the shape of the team. Some players looked like they hadn't a clue where they were supposed to be playing. I like Ryan, I think he's a good manager, but he has to take some of the blame for that disaster yesterday. High fiving players that were coming off looked pretty bad when he should have been roaring instructions at his players.

It looks like it will take two more wins from our last four games to ensure Division football next year. Dublin(a), Westmeath(h), Kerry(h) and Derry(a). Realistically we need to win our two remaining home games, you don't want to be heading to Celtic Park for a must win game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

The Derry match is before the Westmeath match. I think we will do enough to stay up.

Yeah, you're right. I think we'll do enough too.

Despite all the doom and gloom a win over Dublin will put us right back in contention for a semi final. They didn't look too sharp against Cork last Saturday and are struggling for scores so far this year.

Stranger things have happened...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

How do you reckon the Dublin match will go folks? I think we're going to concede goals - how many probably about three. At the start of the league I figured we'd lose the Tyrone and Dublin matches and I still think Dublin will beat us, but please God - not another mauling. Saturday's match is going to be a character builder as they say. These lads will get no sympathy from the Dub supporters over the way we lost on Sunday. Tommy Carr and Banty going on about high-fiving won't help either. Though I must say from watching the match on TG4 I thought it was just a hand-shake (sort of well played) gesture so to speak, rather that we've this won now. Anyway roll on Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

It's gas how the small matter of a player having his hand shook as he is replaced becomes a flurry of high fives and backslapping in some pundits eyes only after a two goal collapse. If the referee had pulled the Tyrone lad for over carrying at the end then it wouldn't have even been mentioned and the same talking heads would be banging on about how well Kildare had played. Babs Keating was on the money when he said there was only a few inches between a pat on the back and a kick up the arse.

If we can produce a similar performance on Saturday I think we can do ok. Dublin are missing as many of their front line players as we are at the moment. I don't think we will win but it will be disappointing if we are not competitive. It's important that the under 21 players come through Wednesday night injury free for us to have any chance.

Kildare u21 v Offaly:

1 Shane McNamara (Celbridge)
    2 Barry Egan (Clane)
    3 Sean Higgins (Maynooth)
    4 Shane O’Hagan (Kill)
    5 Dylan Corcoran (Celbridge)
    6 David Hyland (Athy)
    7 Cian O’Donoghue (Clane)
    8 Gavin Farrell (Castledermot)
    9 Fergal Conway (Celbridge)
    10 Barry Coffey (Sarsfields)
    11 Tony Gibbons (Athy)
    12 Paddy Brophy (Celbridge)
    13 David Hughes (Celbridge)
    14 Daniel Grehan (Clogherinkoe)
    15 Neil Flynn (Maynooth)

No Mick O'Grady? Injured?

Overage I think. He played under 21 in 2012 so he must be about 23 now.

• Advertisement

I was sure he was 18 or 19. Looks about 14.

He is very young looking alright!

I don't think we should be a 1/6 shot against Offaly who already have a big win down in Wexford under their belts. I know this group beat Offaly easily at minor level in Tullamore but that counts for nothing three years later. Niall Kelly and Daniel Flynn are two high class players that we can ill afford to be without for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Kildare 0-05 Offaly 0-06 half time

Offaly 0-13 Kildare 0-9

The scoreline does not flatter Offaly. A very disappointing night for Kildare.

Offaly definitely our bogey team at this level.

Have to say, the dropping of Neil Flynn to start Daniel Flynn was a disgrace. The managements heads should roll.

I don't know why they had Grehan starting in the full forward line with Brophy much deeper. Surely it should have been the other way around?

I'm not sure if it would have made a big difference in the end. Offaly wanted it way more than our lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WarKinse

I don't know why they had Grehan starting in the full forward line with Brophy much deeper. Surely it should have been the other way around?

Brophy is a serious ball winner, at U21 great option for kick-out's!

WarKinse wrote: »

Brophy is a serious ball winner, at U21 great option for kick-out's!

He's much more of a danger inside. 9 points is a poor return. If Brophy had played in the corner or at the edge of the square I'm sure we would have put up a bigger score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WarKinse

WarKinse wrote: »

He's much more of a danger inside. 9 points is a poor return. If Brophy had played in the corner or at the edge of the square I'm sure we would have put up a bigger score.

I get where you're coming from but in my opinion that would have to be what the management were thinking, twinned with his running ability. Poor result without question, pe sceal e Cill Dara abu

Jaysus.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The Dubs weren't 10 points better tonight, Kildare will be kicking themselves about the amount of goals chances they missed. Next weekends game against Kerry will now be key.

The Kerry game was always going to be the big one after last week. Win it and Kildare will stay up. A defeat and we're probably doomed. We could do with Tyrone doing us a bit of a favour down in the Kingdom this afternoon. That's not too much to ask of them after we gifted them the two points last Sunday!

Big game for the hurlers today over in Ruislip. Kildare have not started the year very well and a win there might just kick start the season.

Hurlers beaten again after being well in the game for most of the way according to KFM. I think we were leading up until fifteen minutes to go and ended up losing by 6. It has not been a good start for Brian Lawlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Not a good 7 days for kildare gaa at all..
    kerry turned on the style in the second half today scoring 3-7 to a point. Its gonna be crunch time come this day next week.

Any team news ahead of Sunday? I wouldn't mind seeing Sean Campbell or Ciaran Fitz tried out in the backs. Hard to see us winning if our defending doesn't improve a lot. Kerry dismantled Tyrone with ease in the second half last Sunday. I don't think they will win as much ball against our midfield but they might not need to.

Will be named tomorrow I'd say, seems to be the norm with Ryan. Is Fitzpatrick even on the panel? I'd leave Foley full back and bring in Campbell for McGrillen.

Midfield will be crucial on Sunday. Gary White needs to get his act together as Maher and Moran are a great partnership for Kerry.

Not confident about this game at all.

BNMC wrote: »
    Is Fitzpatrick even on the panel?

He was out on the pitch training with Peter Kelly, Adam Tyrrell, Johnny Byrne, Smith, Niall Kelly and a few others after the Tyrone game.

Keogh Cup Final result: Castledermot 1-7 Kill 1-5 :(

I heard the Aldridge Cup Final ended in a draw after extra time with Smith in good form for Sash and Kelly for Athy.

One change to the Kildare team for Sunday with Hyland replacing McGrillen.

Celbridge's Conor Kenny has been named to start for the Tipp hurlers for their game this weekend.

Smith hit 0-8 for the Sash. Niall Kelly came on in the first half and got a goal. Good to see these lads back in action.

Unlucky there Klairon, great achievement for Kill getting to the final all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Kildare 0:15 Kerry 2:15 (FT). Disappointing.

Advertisement