Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Recruitment - Questions Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭JayJay123

Turbine wrote: »
    JayJay123 wrote: »
    How do I apply for PDF?

Not bein bad here but if you need help with that, you may as well not bother...

I meant where.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

Just a quick little question, but I'm not the strongest of swimmers, will this be detrimental for me down the line if i successfully make the cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Just a quick little question, but I'm not the strongest of swimmers, will this be detrimental for me down the line if i successfully make the cut?

If your job requires you to swim, you will be properly instructed how to do it the army way.

Excellent.. cheers Goldie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

beco2010 wrote: »
    just to ask, i'v aplied to the army but also the navy will this come across as if i have no commitment to ether
    i just needed to ask this again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I spent the full 28 weeks of training getting thrown in the sea pretty much every day, while not knowning how to swim. You'll be fine.
    i just needed to ask this again

No, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭moonbloom

can you apply for df if you are colour blind?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

moonbloom wrote: »
    can you apply for df if you are colour blind?.

You can apply, but unless you did something dishonest like memorise the correct answers which correspond to the correct Ishihara plate then you won't get in...

Also, to the swimmer guy, why not spend the next while improving your swimming technique? It's one of the things that people should learn before they turn 5. It could save your life whether you are in the army or not.

<disclaimer>Not in DF, just some general advice</disclaimer>

Poccington wrote: »
    I spent the full 28 weeks of training getting thrown in the sea pretty much every day, while not knowning how to swim. You'll be fine.

Cheers Poc... Puts me at ease a good bit.. but not enough to drown haha
    Will work on the swimming when available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Swimming is a fancy name for not drowning in an aquatic environment!

One more question.. (for now)
    My BMI is currently at 30, I know that's the max the army allows and I know It's not an accurate system..
    but would the medical centre do a caliper test as im at 30?
    I'm by all means not a fat ****e or anything... may be lugging around a few extra pounds but they wont be there for long..
    I've seen people twice my width and weight less ya know..:D
    So to recap my question is:
    Will the Army do a Caliper test as I'm at 30 BMI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

One more question.. (for now)
    My BMI is currently at 30, I know that's the max the army allows and I know It's not an accurate system..
    but would the medical centre do a caliper test as im at 30?
    I'm by all means not a fat ****e or anything... may be lugging around a few extra pounds but they wont be there for long..
    I've seen people twice my width and weight less ya know..:D
    So to recap my question is:
    Will the Army do a Caliper test as I'm at 30 BMI

They will first note your height / weight and age and gain a rough BMI using a scale chart.

If you are over the BMI they will do an accurate test with the calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

What is the BMI limit before they do a callipers test? I'm typically around 26-26.5, which is over the 25 normal line, but that's when I'm in my best shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

What is the BMI limit before they do a callipers test? I'm typically around 26-26.5, which is over the 25 normal line, but that's when I'm in my best shape.

ASFAIK it is 30 is the max.

linky

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

JayJay123 wrote: »
    I dont know why Im even replying to your stupid post but reading it just made me so angry... I dont expect anyone let alone myself to just "get a handy job in the army with a pension"
    It wasnt my choice to be "living off the state for the last two years" and do you think people who havent went to college dont have knowledge or experience??

Idiot

I agree with you there JayJay. Your last word in that post is well suited. It baffles me to see that people in Ireland still think the Army is a handy job.

One does not simply have an easy time in any army let alone an operational European one like the Irish Army.

As I said in a previous post to a PDF basher who was ignorant enough to call people idiots but actually believed most of the Irish Army hadn't ever been overseas; Ireland, UK, and the Americans are the highest contributors of troops (8% of their forces) for operations overseas that are signed up for the NATO PfP. You must be completely daft if you think the Irish Army is "handy". It may be small, but percentage-wise and man for man, its literally one of the most operational armies in the world.

People applying should make no mistake. Your'e trying to join a real army, that goes on real, dangerous operations, trains hell hard, and is incredibly professional and strict. Don't expect an easy time at all. Especially in recruit training. I'm not in the Army but I've studied this stuff in college when looking at EU defence. When academics write about the Irish Army in a good light, and you actually talk to people who have done recruit training, its fair to say that the Afghan war fan boys and begrudgers on this site who just assume with no knowledge that the Irish Army is easy or not a real army are blatantly wrong. Prepare for joining the Irish Army just as you would joining any army, and you'll be fine ;)
    Anyway, rant over...

Anyone know when the first recruit platoons of the 600 are due to start? And are they all going to be trained in the DFTC or will they be trained at brigade level? - I'm asking because applicants aren't applying to brigades anymore, rather the army as a whole, so its unclear as to where they will be trained.

your BMI or body mass index is done by

an individuals body weight is 75 kg

his hight is 1.68 m

convert the individual hight into meters by multyplying it with itself
    1.68 x 1.68 = 2.82

then divide individuals weight 75kg by 2.82 = 26.5

26.5 = bmi

bmi standerds

below 18.5 = under wight
    18.5-24.9= normal
    25.0-29.9=over wight
    30.0 and above = obese

this is the test that would be preformed in a fitness assessment/ field test
    it is not accurate though
    hope this helps poeple

Anyone know when the first recruit platoons of the 600 are due to start? And are they all going to be trained in the DFTC or will they be trained at brigade level? - I'm asking because applicants aren't applying to brigades anymore, rather the army as a whole, so its unclear as to where they will be trained.

this is just from what iv heard from here on boards. the navy were ment to take on a class in june so june for them but that is all i know and wouldnt want to give a false answer. i dont think anyone will know till after the interview

this is just from what iv heard from here on boards. the navy were ment to take on a class in june so june for them but that is all i know and wouldnt want to give a false answer. i dont think anyone will know till after the interview

Ah I see. Sound for the reply. I know the navy recruits will be trained by the navy at the naval base but its the Army I'm wondering about. If they want to get the 400 and something trained this year for the Army I'd imagine they'll be trained at brigade depots too.

I heard that General enlistment troops who make it to their respective platoons will start training in late summer early autumn..
    If It's lies I'm tellin ya, t'was lies i was told...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

The BMI indexing charts are not an accurate gauge of body comp. The BPEO will know this by looking at someone. Eg. 5'10 Rugby player vs 5'10 Chipper fiend of the same weight will be obvious. If in doubt the callipers come out.

I wouldn't be too concerned if its lean mass your hauling. But bear in mind the competition will be through the roof with super fit lads standing next to you. Work on the weight / fitness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

I agree with you there JayJay. Your last word in that post is well suited. It baffles me to see that people in Ireland still think the Army is a handy job.

One does not simply have an easy time in any army let alone an operational European one like the Irish Army.

As I said in a previous post to a PDF basher who was ignorant enough to call people idiots but actually believed most of the Irish Army hadn't ever been overseas; Ireland, UK, and the Americans are the highest contributors of troops (8% of their forces) for operations overseas that are signed up for the NATO PfP. You must be completely daft if you think the Irish Army is "handy". It may be small, but percentage-wise and man for man, its literally one of the most operational armies in the world.

People applying should make no mistake. Your'e trying to join a real army, that goes on real, dangerous operations, trains hell hard, and is incredibly professional and strict. Don't expect an easy time at all. Especially in recruit training. I'm not in the Army but I've studied this stuff in college when looking at EU defence. When academics write about the Irish Army in a good light, and you actually talk to people who have done recruit training, its fair to say that the Afghan war fan boys and begrudgers on this site who just assume with no knowledge that the Irish Army is easy or not a real army are blatantly wrong. Prepare for joining the Irish Army just as you would joining any army, and you'll be fine ;)
    Anyway, rant over...

"Ireland, UK, and the Americans are the highest contributors of troops (8% of their forces) for operations overseas"

.......Once again, you are making stuff up :rolleyes:

France has 36,000 out of 144,000 troops deployed overseas.(around 20%)

As 1 example, Im sure other countries especially like those who contribute the most numbers to UN ops have a high % to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Armed_Forces

"The French Army: 144,000 civilian and military personnel (excluding 7,000 Foreign Legion)"

"There are currently 36,000 French troops deployed in foreign territories—such operations are known as "OPEX" for Opérations Extérieures ("External Operations")."

....The UK inc the army of the Rhine would have alot more then 8%.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

I heard that General enlistment troops who make it to their respective platoons will start training in late summer early autumn..

Won't happen. I'd say by Sunday, around 10,000 will have applied for the 600 positions (was just over 7,500 on Monday). There's no way they'll be able to conduct fitness tests, psychometric tests, interviews and give people adequate notice in the space of just 3 or 4 months. The last general recruitment competition was announced around this time 2 years ago, and they didn't start training till December AFAIK. That'd be a more realistic time-scale, and would also make more sense considering the DF like to carry out recruit training over the winter.

"Ireland, UK, and the Americans are the highest contributors of troops (8% of their forces) for operations overseas"

.......Once again, you are making stuff up :rolleyes:

France has 36,000 out of 144,000 troops deployed overseas.(around 20%)

As 1 example, Im sure other countries especially like those who contribute the most numbers to UN ops have a high % to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Armed_Forces

"The French Army: 144,000 civilian and military personnel (excluding 7,000 Foreign Legion)"

"There are currently 36,000 French troops deployed in foreign territories—such operations are known as "OPEX" for Opérations Extérieures ("External Operations")."

....The UK inc the army of the Rhine would have alot more then 8%.

Without trying to let this debate spill into a different thread, I'll just rephrase for you... I forgot the word atleast before 8%. Those French and British forces on operations are not on NATO Pfp ops. NATO Pfp countries are required to have atleast 8% of their forces on operations on NATO Pfp missions. Ireland, Britain, and the USA are the only countries that are actually doing that. The rest of the countries signed up to Pfp are just not doing it. Nothing I've said is made up. I literally gave you my sources of this information when we talked about it last.

EDIT: I STAND CORRECTED, > At the moment actually there isn't 8% of Irish forces on Pfp missions because of the battalion in Lebanon being the major overseas commitment at the moment. When the piece that I attached to my post in the other thread when we were chatting about this stuff was written Ireland had troops involved in KFOR (NATO Pfp mission) and EUFOR T/Chad. Regardless, the point still stands. The Irish Army doesn't just sit on its butt back home. If your'e joining, your'e joining a real army and the training isn't going to be easy.

Crusader777, why do we keep arguing on this? I don't see any reason why we shouldn't get along. We're into the same stuff and quite a lot of the time believe the same things on military issues. Sorry for referring to you as ignorant. But I did give you the sources on the points I made in the other thread when we were last chatting about this and you still thought I was making it up. Lets just shake hands here man (virtually? :P) and call it quits. Once again. I apologize for calling you ignorant.

ALSO, If any of the Mods want me to take these posts down from this thread because they're getting a bit off topic just post here and say it and I'll get rid of them. This isn't the crap that guys joining up want to read.

Sound anyway ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Without trying to let this debate spill into a different thread, I'll just rephrase for you... I forgot the word atleast before 8%. Those French and British forces on operations are not on NATO Pfp ops. NATO Pfp countries are required to have atleast 8% of their forces on operations on NATO Pfp missions. Ireland, Britain, and the USA are the only countries that are actually doing that. The rest of the countries signed up to Pfp are just not doing it. Nothing I've said is made up. I literally gave you my sources of this information when we talked about it last.

EDIT: At the moment actually there isn't 8% of Irish forces on Pfp missions because of the battalion in Lebanon being the major overseas commitment at the moment. When the piece that I attached to my post in the other thread when we were chatting about this stuff was written Ireland had troops involved in KFOR and EUFOR T/Chad. REGARDLESS, the point still stands. The Irish Army doesn't just sit on its butt back home. If your'e joining, your'e joining a real army and the training isn't going to be easy.

Also, if any of the Mods want me to take these posts down from this thread because they're getting a bit off topic just post here and say it and I'll get rid of them. ;)

I can only comment on what you have posted, not what you should have posted, as I am not a mind reader.

Although I would not trust anything you post, as when checked its usually bs.

Now you want our posts removed cause you look silly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Ah I see. Sound for the reply. I know the navy recruits will be trained by the navy at the naval base but its the Army I'm wondering about. If they want to get the 400 and something trained this year for the Army I'd imagine they'll be trained at brigade depots too.

I wouldn't bet on it, due to the recent barrack closures accommodation will be hard to come by at some of the bigger barracks in the country (Athlone for example), it could come down to a platoon in training spread out at nearly every barracks in the country.
    Turbine wrote: »
    Won't happen. I'd say by Sunday, around 10,000 will have applied for the 600 positions (was just over 7,500 on Monday). There's no way they'll be able to conduct fitness tests, psychometric tests, interviews and give people adequate notice in the space of just 3 or 4 months. The last general recruitment competition was announced around this time 2 years ago, and they didn't start training till December AFAIK. That'd be a more realistic time-scale, and would also make more sense considering the DF like to carry out recruit training over the winter.

It did say on the rte aertel page when the places were announced that training would begin in the 3rd quarter of the year (July-September).

Now you want our posts removed cause you look silly :rolleyes:
    Trying to read my mind then?

Its BS even though I attached the source of the information. Ingenious.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

According to the DF. facebook the first to be takin in will be late summer early autmn.

It would be nice to see the full 480 takin in and trainning them in the dftc or larger barracks around the country. However id say they will do the exact same thing as the last time, taking on in platoons. So even if they are taking on late summer early autmn and you get a place it might not be until next year you begin.

• Advertisement

A late start wouldn't be to bad altogether..
    Give me more time to work on my fitness/weight issue, same with other people in the same situation as meself who are dying to get a place..

Advertisement