Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I know it has been mentioned a load of times an people are probably sick of it coming up but I have to mention Dear Zachary I watched it over the weekend and the story has stayed with me since , I was actually in shock and awe after watching this, and of course in floods of tears

It was tough to watch but so happy I did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil: This was a refreshing twist to the typical murdering hilbilly horror movie. Plenty of gore and a good few laughs. I recommend if you wana switch of the brain for a few hours.

Also watched Resident Evil regeneration, absolute dirt, avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Arabella

Twin Peaks
    I had never seen this show before but I had heard so much about it. I watched it over the weekend and was amazed and enthralled by it. It is a strange and bewildering show that perfectly captures the ordinary and, at the same time, surreal aspects of what living in small town America encompasses.

It is such a shame that it was not renewed for a third season. It would have been great to see how the story progressed given the ending of Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just a you mention it , was looking for a late night film last night , and put on dale and tucker vs evil. had 4 star rating i think. very good film indeed.

like said a different take on the teens in the woods camping take o hill billy movies.

more laughs and gore than scares. very enjoyable.

on another note was going to watch one of the korean/chinese movies on it. several had 4 star ratings. IP man was one, another was 'fearless' with jet li i think. there was one more but it slips my mind the name. Are these two worth watching ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

Watch these:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vengeance_Trilogy
    2smiggy wrote: »
    just a you mention it , was looking for a late night film last night , and put on dale and tucker vs evil. had 4 star rating i think. very good film indeed.

like said a different take on the teens in the woods camping take o hill billy movies.

more laughs and gore than scares. very enjoyable.

on another note was going to watch one of the korean/chinese movies on it. several had 4 star ratings. IP man was one, another was 'fearless' with jet li i think. there was one more but it slips my mind the name. Are these two worth watching ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Watched Michael Mann's Thief lastnight. Thought it was great, a huge influence on Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

TV Series - 30 Days

Morgan Spurlock, of Supersize Me fame, has this show wee you step into the shoes of your opposite life. a fundamentalist christian spends 30 days living with a muslim family, a right wing straight guy spends 30 days living with a gay man in Castro St, San Fran, unemployed man works for 30 days in a call centre in india.

Interesting look at another man's shoes but still kinda flawed. eg, the 30 days Morgan and his wife spent living at minimum wage was tough but there was ultimate light at the end of the tunnel when the 30 days were up, unlike the people he was working with who actually lived like that, permanently. Still worth a look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭itchy elbows

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Well Berg says the script is done and dusted. The next challenge is scheduling.

Link

I still wouldn't get too excited, plenty of finished shows have scripts for the proposed film but nothing ever comes of it.

There in the stages of trying to get the cast now , most of them are in other stuff now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Primer: Yeah I am going to have to give it another watch I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I watched Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

It wasn't bad. It was quite gruesome and disturbing though. Maybe a little too disturbing for some.

It was very well told.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Red Dwarf and The Young Ones seem to have just materialised in their entirety (minus the unworthy revival Back To Earth in the case of Red Dwarf, which is pretty much all win otherwise).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Fysh wrote: »
    I have a mixed feeling about the anime selection - on the one hand, there's a bunch of stuff there I'd like to watch (yay!) but on the other hand, it all seems to be dubbed rather than subtitled (BOOOO!).

I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time the other night and despite the dubbing it was pretty damn good. A nice take on time-travel and a good enough story, weaving between time-travel and high-school drama quite deftly.

Any other recommendations from the UK/Ireland anime selection?

Dead space downfall and deadspace aftermath were pretty good I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

sweet just started playing dead space 2 didnt know about this might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

zomg Invader Zim is up now, yaaaay

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

krudler wrote: »
    zomg Invader Zim is up now, yaaaay

Not on the UK/Irish version. Don't tease me like that :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I remember Dead Space Downfall being pretty boring as game-based animes go, sadly. Didn't realise they'd made another one. (Which reminds me, must get back to Dead Space on the Wii and finish it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

sweet just started playing dead space 2 didnt know about this might give it a go.
    It's ok like fysh said its not as fantastic as the other limited anime films in the netflix selection, but I found It very entertaining to watch.
    um, downfall is the prequel and aftermath is based on the first game by the way, so no spoilers for Dead space 2 that you're playing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I noticed that Netflix has The Castle, an Australian film that was made on a shoestring budget and became a big hit there. I would wholeheartedly recommend checking this out. It's a quirky comedy about a family and their neighbours who live near an aiport and get into a legal battle when they're being forced out of their homes so the aiport can expand.

Fysh wrote: »
    Not on the UK/Irish version. Don't tease me like that :(

get the us one then, takes seconds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

when your strange.. A documentary about The Doors, great insight to the bands 56 months of fame..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

JJ wrote: »
    I noticed that Netflix has The Castle, an Australian film that was made on a shoestring budget and became a big hit there. I would wholeheartedly recommend checking this out. It's a quirky comedy about a family and their neighbours who live near an aiport and get into a legal battle when they're being forced out of their homes so the aiport can expand.

The Castle is probably the best film on netfilx :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

JJ wrote: »

I saw it on my phone earlier and was going to watch it, then logged into the PS3 and it's not on American netflix!
    Ideally you need to switch between american and local netflix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I think "the escapist" is decent

On a whim I checked out a subtitled Chinese horror/thriller called Invitation Only last night, and it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Finished Friday Night Lights. Get past the 2nd season and its brilliant.
    If you dont like sports im sure anyone would still really enjoy it.
    But the game scenes are very well done.

Check out 'Go Tigers' on US Netflix for a real insight into US high school football...

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Am I right in saying that "The Castle" is only available on the Irish Netflix catelog?

Midnight Express, have you ever been in a Turkish prison Billy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Bergman's - The Seventh Seal (1957)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

What is it like? Has it aged well? Lots of reviews on IMDB calling it a "masterpiece". This worries me as it's often not the case and says more about the reviewer than the actual movie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement