Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette Vs Gamesmanship

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Redzah wrote: »
    there's just a few on this forum that dislike me and don't offer much in the way of a contribution (whyner being an example above, closely followed by the house mod).

Not agreeing with you doesnt mean people dont like you. In this case its just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Ah in fairness big chap i've taken most of the posters views in and will consider going forward so i've got a lot out of the thread, there's just a few on this forum that dislike me and don't offer much in the way of a contribution (whyner being an example above, closely followed by the house mod).

I can only dislike what you post, with this thread at the top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Also bear in mind that despite your mental strength and confidence of holing the 6 footer, you missed it. It could be argued that you distracted yourself with you (possible) mind games or that your opponents psyched you out by blanking your request :) I'd be more inclined to base the miss on probabilities myself...

Regarding all the mental animals on here, the game is hard enough without admitting that you are vulnerable. Don't expect many confessions.

:D Cheers Philip, it was probabilities as i hit a pretty good put, just took more break than i thought but I understand your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

GreeBo wrote: »
    Im afraid you've totally lost me now.:confused:
    On one hand you say you do this to get inside someones head, then on the same thread you say you would laugh at someone who did it to you and then you go on to have an issue with someone saying that they wouldnt be phased by it. Do you have some multiple personality disorder or something?

So which is it? Or are we just meant to believe that you are the only one with this steel trap of a mind and the rest of the golfing world should tremble at the mere mention of your name? Coz, erm well...no.

Personally if someone said good-good to me on a 6 foot putt I'd take it as you conceding my putt and then watch you attempt to putt out.

Offering good-good to me says you are not confident in your putt and it would give me more confidence not less. This childish attempt at trying to get inside my head would also leave me thinking that you are a bit of an idiot to be honest and I would waste no more time thinking about you and go back to playing golf.:cool:

You would be completely wrong to take it as me conceding and would only end up making a fool of yourself if u did. The way i asked is 'shall we walk on' so if u then pick up your marker then I have every right to pick mine up. God i'd love to play u in a match, it would be epic, apart from all the shots i'd have to give u.

See, the thing is I have an expectation that the answer will be 'No' before I suggest this so when I hear the expected answer it does not phase me as it met my expectations so I just continue on and more often than not hole the put. All of a sudden my opponent has to make a putt which 3 mins earlier he had the option of not having to putt this. Of course this enters his mind at some stage whether it is 'i'm gonna get this to shut this guy up after chancing his arm like that' or 'Damn, i should've just accepted', either way i have him thinking about more than he should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You would be completely wrong to take it as me conceding and would only end up making a fool of yourself if u did. The way i asked is 'shall we walk on' so if u then pick up your marker then I have every right to pick mine up. God i'd love to play u in a match, it would be epic, apart from all the shots i'd have to give u.
    You say you are a full member but then show the thoughts of a 12 year old.
    Clouded your mind is.
    See, the thing is I have an expectation that the answer will be 'No' before I suggest this so when I hear the expected answer it does not phase me as it met my expectations so I just continue on and more often than not hole the put. All of a sudden my opponent has to make a putt which 3 mins earlier he had the option of not having to putt this. Of course this enters his mind at some stage whether it is 'i'm gonna get this to shut this guy up after chancing his arm like that' or 'Damn, i should've just accepted', either way i have him thinking about more than he should be.
    You are clearly deeply inside your own mind but for some reason think your games are affecting anyone else but not yourself.
    What happens if the person says "yes"? Are you now phased as you got the answer (in your own words) that you didnt expect?

"All of a sudden" doesnt come into it at all. As has been pointed out to you, anyone with any experience of matchplay expects to have to hole every putt every time.

You are tying yourself in knots in the mistaken impression that you are playing games with peoples heads. You are wasting your limited resources over thinking irrelevant scenarios while your opponents are playing golf.

Side question, why does it take you 3 mins to take a putt? Is this why it takes you 30 mins to play a hole? Can I redirect you to the slow play thread, for all our benefit? Thanks!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

either way i have him thinking about more than he should be.

This is the bit I can't get my head around, I'm not sure thats necessarily the case. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I'd never expect to be given a 6 footer anyway. If someone holes a 6 foot putt its a good putt, it might be different with a 2 footer thats missable, but i still doubt it. You can miss a 6 footer for any number of reasons, even if you hit a good putt it may not go in, so you could never say a miss was because you got into his head.

"Good, good" with two short putts is generally to speed up things or to avoid spending 5 minutes over two putts that the guys are more than likely to both hole. If someone wants to try to use "mind games" in that situation......well, its a waste of time IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Have you considered that good putters actually like putting?

If you asked me to pick up any putt that was remotely long or interesting I'd be looking forward to having a go at it too much to even dream of accepting. I'd just be asking myself if you were the full shilling.

Advertisement