Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

exactly, and here is mine to prove the point. I seen them with Lough Swilly, Co Donegal, wwwlr all sorts!

kevtx2.jpg

a bit of a smaller version of the photo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ah but if you check his other items for sale I think it all becomes clear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

corktina wrote: »
    ah but if you check his other items for sale I think it all becomes clear!

Clear in what sense? Unconvinced what they are from pics and the lamp is genuine. The Great Northern signs are English and they might well have come out of some shed somewhere. Judging from the seller's feedback they are an enthusiast or an ex.enthusiast.

Ken Lennan's 'Fake Railwayana' is a useful source of info on fake Irish signs: http://www.irishrailwayana.com/pa306.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Never realised fake railway paraphernalia was so prolific!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Clear in what sense? Unconvinced what they are from pics and the lamp is genuine. The Great Northern signs are English and they might well have come out of some shed somewhere. Judging from the seller's feedback they are an enthusiast or an ex.enthusiast.

Ken Lennan's 'Fake Railwayana' is a useful source of info on fake Irish signs: http://www.irishrailwayana.com/pa306.htm

Oh ho, good old Mr Lennan. Some years ago, I mailed said gentleman for an approximate price for a miniature staff that I have at home. He informed me without looking at it that mine was either a fake or perhaps a training staff as he "sold the real one 3 years ago".

Oh course, the fact that the auld fella drove the last train on the line under ETS had no bearing on it's legitimacy :rolleyes:

Oh ho, good old Mr Lennan. Some years ago, I mailed said gentleman for an approximate price for a miniature staff that I have at home. He informed me without looking at it that mine was either a fake or perhaps a training staff as he "sold the real one 3 years ago".

Oh course, the fact that the auld fella drove the last train on the line under ETS had no bearing on it's legitimacy :rolleyes:

While I can't comment on the case you refer to, I think from my experience of dealing with Ken Lennan that I would have complete faith in him, his website and cataloging of railwayana - after all he's only being doing it for 20+ years. Aside from his website I have found him to be generous with his time and possessions - he donated a number of quite valuable items to the C+L during my time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That sign belongs in the bedroom :pac:

• Advertisement

A21%2BAT%2BISLANDBRIDGE%2BJN.JPG

A21 at Islandbridge Junction from a slide on eBay tonight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lord lucan wrote: »
    Never realised fake railway paraphernalia was so prolific!

I know someone who actually produces fake enamel signs, albeit mostly for drink/cigarette ads of the type pubs buy en masse but has done some railway stuff. He sells them as fakes, but suspects some of his bulk customers don't resell them as fake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

signalroom.jpg

Took this yesterday with permission . Would be very impressed if anyone knew where it was taken.

201202172637.jpg

Is it somewhere out of use judging by the state of the levers? Nenagh branch? Or somewhere like Clonmel or Carrick-on-Suir? If I hadn't got rid of my Hirsch & Doyle "Rly Lines of CIE & NIR" I could tell you by counting the levers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

It is Galway Station. Redundant levers .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

A guy managed to get a tour of VIA Rail's Winnipeg Maintenance Centre including a look inside a rebuilt EMD F40PH - here's a photo of its 16-645 prime mover.
    6429-winnipeg-20111014-7.JPG.
    More here:
    http://blog.traingeek.ca/search/label/wmc

dowlingm wrote: »
    A guy managed to get a tour of VIA Rail's Winnipeg Maintenance Centre including a look inside a rebuilt EMD F40PH - here's a photo of its 16-645 prime mover.

More here:
    http://blog.traingeek.ca/search/label/wmc

Nice. I love GM engines!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sporty56

Breakdown or were 141 and 121s compatable then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

They've always been compatible I thought, lots of photos of the two class in multiple on beet trains.

What's being built in the background? That area now is offices in Harbourmaster Place, I think.

Looks like a failure to me. The 121 is facing the wrong way for a double header.

The 121s were not capable of multiple working from new, they was retrofitted a while later, primarily as a reason to prevent them running bonnet first or having to be turned on turntables. Once fitted, they could work with a 141 or 181. Chances are, when this photo was taken, that the 121s did not have their MU gear yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sporty56

That's Sherriff street sorting office for the post. It even had it's own bar so no excuse to leave the job !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice footage of the small GM'S hard at work here including a 121 and 141/181 hauling Beet www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyMtCcwLGP8&feature=related

Looks like doubleheading to me - surely those are passengers on the train - there again it's probably my eyesight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why use two smaller locos on beet trains when larger locos were available? Were 071s reserved for passenger trains?

Victor wrote: »
    Why use two smaller locos on beet trains when larger locos were available? Were 071s reserved for passenger trains?

I'd say so, they would have been needed for Sligo and Rosslare services as well as some Waterford and Galway trains. Not to mention the Taras where they were, and still are, a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

121/141/181 classes were the main intended motive power on the beets from the mid 90's, mainly because they were surplus to requirement's elsewhere as their duties were passed on to other loco's and DMU's. 071's also found their way onto the beets when they had less to do and could be spared for the whole season; this being the case as 071's could haul longer laden trains than pairs.

The photo below of a pair is probably a double header. In the 60's, Heuston was closed on a Sunday so Connolly was used for all ex Dublin departures and arrivals. The Park Royals which are in the consist were then considered the best coach before Cravens arrived on the scene so chances are that it is a Cork bound train. These were often doubled headed to help keep up speeds on select heavier services so a pair would be common enough on . If you look closely the lead locomotive is moving away from the platform while it has a single lamp on it's front; this showed that the train was an important service of some sort and not on shunting or transfer duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

What loco was that on the right at 8.mins and 1 sec on the video??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

What loco was that on the right at 8.mins and 1 sec on the video??

That looks like B103, it belongs to the ITG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 starhillroad

Victor

why use two smaller locos on beet trains when larger locos were available? Were 071s reserved for passenger trains?

Normally between the 1960's and early 1990's, the A (001) Class were pretty much standard on the Sugar Beet trains. This was because they had a 'go anywhere' 14 tonne axleload. This enabled them to cover a much wider spectrum of routes.

It is hard to believe, or remember that the 071 Class were the 'elite' on the system, and were worked intensively, and worked hard on a daily basis from their arrival into service in 1977 (They were tested in 1976, but drivers were initially not keen on them because they were a nightmare to start up apparently).

Due to lack of investment, a shortage of funds, the locomotive fleet was gradually run down, despite the trojan efforts of engineers at Inchicore to keep things 'on track' pardon the pun. There was a lot more freight back then, be it:

- Mail trains (Dublin-Cork/Galway)
    - Cement
    - Asahi to Ballina
    - Containers
    - Sugar Beet
    - Tara Mines

So the mixed traffic idea, concept of using locomotives on both passenger trains and freight made perfect sense at the time, and the economies of scale, although unseen were greater.

But railfreight, from an accounting perspective had a huge weakness. If one customer was lost, then the whole trading sector was affected. This was predicted in an Oireachtais investigation into Iarnrod Eireann and CIE under the auspices of the (then) Transport minister Michael Lowry, who may have been working on another, more sinister agenda. Luckily, we did'nt find out if he was or not.

This investigated why the 201 Class locomotive were procured instead of more Multiple Units. There were comments from drivers back then such as:

"Sure we could have got 50 more of the 071's for the same price as 30 of those fancy new yokes with computers, bells and whistles we hardly need in this country"

There was a locomotive shortage in Ireland from the time the DART was introduced and the C type 201's were withdrawn, to the arrival of the GM 201 (River) Class. This was particularly acute in 1986-1987 when the 071 class had to be withdrawn due to bogie cracks. Apparently the boys in Illinois had never been told that they were going to be worked on heavy express passenger trains at 75mph/90mph on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

29 August 2003 at the level crossing at St Patrick's Well, Clonmel

img454h.jpg

Advertisement