Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets!

• 04-01-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and decided to start a Boards Training Log. First off I’ll I give you a bit of background before going into the 2012 plan. I would advise two normal gels, 1 caffeinated with regular hydration and coke if really required to get you through the following life story ;-)

Some background:
    I took part in the usual team sports while at school - usually to get as much time out of the classroom as was possible - basketball, soccer, football, tennis and whatever else was going. I was a goalkeeper in both soccer and football so I never really did much running. I once did a XC race in secondary school but I don’t know where it was, nor what the distance. I finished second in our team of six, but we all finished in the bottom 15% and were lapped by the leaders! I did some swimming lessons while at primary school but the local pool (Navan) was closed when I was about 12yrs old.

College was my downfall. I did a BSc in Sports Management but yet became a bit of a lazy ass. I piled on weight, drank and thought eating was only to get full - pretty much blended into the average student lifestyle. It got to the point where I was eating in Eddie Rockets (hence the title!) and Zaytoon a few nights each week and but I realised that had to stop when I entered my first triathlon.

In 2007 a few of us did the Focus Ireland Tri for charity and I somehow got through it. The most I had done in a pool before it was 200m and that almost killed me. I tried every imaginable stroke to finish that swim and came out nearly last in my wave. I remember cramping like mad with 100m still to go (it was only 750m!). I did that race again in 2008 and I realised that there were actually more races out there and so I tried a few duathlons and triathlons but with limited training (maybe 1 or 2 runs a week, 1 cycle and an occasional swim). I did Dublin half (01:39) and full marathon (03:31), again with limited training, but managed to get through them unscathed.

So in 2009 I began to put in some effort. I trained much more consistently and tried to do three sessions a week of each discipline. I had a good year and managed to win my home county's triathlon (Quarryman tri organised by Tri an Mhi). This spurred me on as I put even more effort into training for 2010. Again 2010 saw huge improvements and I bagged a win at TriAthy Sprint with some top 10's in NS races. I ended the year 2nd 25-29 in the National Series behind Conor Murphy. (I wouldn’t read too much into that, NS is as much about tactics and choosing races as it is about performing well).

2011 was the step-up to middle distance. I decided a coach was needed as I had no flow to my training and questioned what I was doing. This lead to a choppy training regime with no structured phases etc. Race wise I did Austria (04:37) and Galway (04:36 - shortened swim) as my main races. Ive really come on and am looking forward to the season ahead.

So 2012.

A goal - Sub 04:20 in Mallorca 70.3 12th May 2012
    That'll require something like a 28min swim, 02:25 bike and a 01:21 run leaving 6mins for transitions. Easy peasy :/
    Its optimistic but I know it can be done. It will require 100% dedication though and it's the little things that will matter most. Staying injury and illness free will be of utmost importance and I've learned from mistakes on that front in 2011.

Other key races are yet to be decided but I’m looking at Kenmare Middle Distance or something similar distance-wise around then. I will also be doing a few sprints (looking at either North Tipp Sprint or Joey Hannan Sprint as a tune up to Mallorca & TriAthy) and olympics (Rosslare Pikeman Oly Distance, Lough Neagh Oly Distance or TriGrandPrix Kilkenny (Sprint or Oly)).

Other things I want to achieve:

Swim - Improve my 400TT pb from its current 05:52 (short course)
    I recently had a swim analysis done at B2R and i found it seriously helpful. I swim solo and have learned my stroke through the Swim Smooth 3D model coupled with youtube videos and from working on technique using drills prescribed by the coach. I’m already seeing improvements since getting the 1-2-1 session and i know once i crack it i will get faster

Bike - Bring FTP over 300Watts - The bike was traditionally the strongest discipline for me, I'm not sure why. I have recently acquired the P2M unit and I'm sure this will help. I find that I tend to switch off on the bike at times which crucifies my splits so this will help keep me honest.

Run - Bring easy pace in and around 04:00/km. Since taking on a coach for the 2011 season my running became my favourite discipline. I believe consistency is the main reason why it got to where it is/was. I generally run 4 times a week and this has helped with the improvements. There is a lot more work to be done here but im sure i can run sub 01:20 flat for a HM, doing close to it at the end of the HIM will be the test. Ive a 17:30 5k as my current pb recently set and i may at some stage look to better that. I know with some speed work a sub 17 is a possibility.

Limitors/Weaknesses
    Weak core - I did f all core work in 2011 and I'll be addressing that
    Staying in good health - I ended up with cellulitis at Austria 70.3 and had an issue with that same toe which had me on antibiotics up to Galway 70.3. So both A races in 2011 were compromised
    Pain - I didnt do pain well in 2011. I found it hard at times to really bury myself in the hard intervals. This will have to change for 2012 otherwise I'll be putting the goal time at Mallorca in jeopardy.
    Weight - I am 78.8kg as of this morning. Ideally, that will need to be about 74/75kg for Mallorca. The fat loss has commenced and I'm logging what I am eating every night so as to maintain decent habits. One big issue with me is that I find I need to finish everything on a plate, so smaller plates from now on. I also had a tendency to eat large meals too late so that is changing too.

I've been back training for 2012 since 10th October (Prep). Base period started in November and it won’t be long coming around to Build and Peak!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Alice Green Prizefight

Oh yes, about bloody time. This one is certainly getting bookmarked, love the title:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cool. This'll be a great log. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

At last! I m sure I echo others here as I welcome this tri log to boards.ie! Great intro Eddie and great title (hope it didn't take you long coming up with it ;))

Really looking forward to following this, best of health and best of luck for 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well i might as well start with the work done this week/year to date

Monday
    Bike - Easy 2hrs
    I missed a fair chunk of very exciting sessions last week due to a cold so i was delighted to get a solid two hours in to kick start the week. Rode on the turbo as bike is permanently setup on it. Just focused on maintaining a decent easy effort.
    Time: 02:00:00, Ave Power 194W, Distance 62.75km

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Run
    Man it was windy out! I left my HRM strap in my better half's grandmothers so ive been running to RPE the past few days. I possibly went a little hard out but there was a gale pushing me out along Clontarf strand! Got to the halfway point, turned around and met the wall of wind! KM's went from 04:0x's to the opposite end! There are usually about 5 or 6 i recognise but there were about 10 of the New Year Resolution brigade out! GAA shorts, socks, hoodies and all. Hopefully they keep at it, twud be good to see more out.
    Time: 00:46:30, Ave Pace: 04:24min/km, Distance: 10.59km

Evening Swim
    Off to Northwood after work (forgetting about the likelyhood of a lot of "new swimmers" and hence a busy 25m lane!). Some r'n'r, front sculling and 3-point rolls to start and then into some 200's alternating between sw and p steady and 100's alternating between sw and p mod hard. I was a bit over excited to be back in the water after 9-10 days out with the cold and went off a bit hard! 200sw "warmup" came in on 02:57 and the 200's steady were a little more towards mod. Really enjoyed the session though and was over the moon to get back on track. I dont do training absences well! The longer they go, the worse i feel about it all.
    Time:00:59:00, Distance: 2800m

Rolling/Core
    Just did a very tiny amount of core work to get the ball rolling for the year - plank, side planks, situps, bicycle, pressups etc. Ive taken a leaf from shotgun's log on the stretching and vow to roll at least every two days! The outside of my right calf is traditionally the area that is sorest and tonight was no different!
    Time: 00:15:00

Wednesday
    Bike
    2 x 20mins at FTP tonight. Felt good. Power was a little choppy by about 5W's either side of FTP at times and after rep 1 i decided cadence should replicate race cadence more. Rep 1 power ave was 276W, cadence 95 and rep 2 was 278W, cadence 90.
    Time: 01:05:00, Ave Power 244W, Distance 37.14km

Rolling
    Some areas were still a bit tight so i rolled them again and got the sliotar to the worst parts.
    Time: 00:10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good man. Looking forward to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

About bloody time you put up a log. Now I get to see how the other half train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Perhaps some music sets as well in this log! Looking forward to the race reports as you have always been well able to go into detail on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Gosh, you throw out a video of yourself laying down some tunes one week, then start a long-overdue log the next. It just doesn't get much better than this. Best of luck....and this will definitely be a highlight log.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oh yes, about bloody time. This one is certainly getting bookmarked, love the title:)

+1... very apt title. Have you considered red sauce for races? Such a high sugar content that it may even work!

Best of luck with the goals E, you are the very man to push the boundries of the talent you have... It helps that your OH is even more of a nut about all of this than you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I had to double take when I spotted this! :D

Looking forward to this log. Best of luck with the goals, especially the Mallorca one! :cool:

• Advertisement

+1... very apt title. Have you considered red sauce for races? Such a high sugar content that it may even work!

Best of luck with the goals E, you are the very man to push the boundries of the talent you have... It helps that your OH is even more of a nut about all of this than you ;)

Cheers dude and thanks for the best wishes all.

As much as i love the stuff i don't think it would taste great on its own! I might need to take something along to have with it!

Spoted the following pic the other day when looking at entering the Sportsman duathlon on runireland. Now his secret is out about how im helping Alistair Brownlee to the olys by pacing him in training im sure the phone will be hopping :D

sportsmans_duathlon_043.jpg

And to get the ball rolling on catweazle's request here's what saw me through the 2 x 20s. Its a really nice mix Forward Strategy Group @ Techno Therapy 005 (20.12.2011)

Bambaata wrote: »
    sportsmans_duathlon_043.jpg

Who is overtaking who:)

Nobody ;) We do 90min pacing sessions whereby i cycle out front and he tries to stick to my wheel :D

Yeah he got me soon enough on the bike, not sure i even got through lap 1. Jonathan took a good while longer. Id love to know what power he was churning out there. He's light as a feather so his w/kg must be serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

pgibbo wrote: »
    I had to double take when I spotted this! :D

Looking forward to this log. Best of luck with the goals, especially the Mallorca one! :cool:

Com'on P....give the people what they want....Bambaata has done it, now you!

Love that pic Eddie, you'll have to frame it and hang it up in your pain cave! It'll be worth a few bob in years to come when he is a multiple olympic champ.

Also thanks for the techno link, now downloading from iTunes - it's free :cool: sweet!

He's light as a feather so his w/kg must be serious!

I read somewhere that its over 6watts per kg:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Definitely going to be following this one. this should be interesting!

Nice pic too. But I really dont get the techno tunes around these parts.

Thursday 5th Jan
    Lunchtime Run
    Nice out, albeit still windy. Not as bad as yesterday but still strong gusts. Session was 45 easy with some 20s fast bits. Fast bits (ill dig them out later when i upload the details) were into the wind and hard going! Just focused and ensuring my feet were turning over as quick as was possible to keep it fast. Had a funny stitch around my right pectoral from about 1km, it wasnt effecting pace but i thought id try get ride of it anyway. From trying a few breathing methods i ended up with a proper stitch high up centre/right of my stomach! Had to stop for a minute to let it settle. 1 or 2 more new runners out and of the other extreme. One was just in a sleeveless t-shirt!! It was chilly so fair balls to him! Savage day out. I run Clontarf Strand 2 to 3 times a week but it never gets boring.
    Time: 00:45:25, Ave Pace: 04:30min/km, Distance: 10.10km

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Great to see you start a log Bambaata. Interesting that you see your ability to handle pain as a weakness last year. Any specific plans/pointers on tackling that one?

How did your training week pre christmas go? Any chance the sickness resulted from the big week away?

Best of luck with the goals. The p2 does look small on you - not sure if it's the photo or not. Any progress on that front?

Notwitch wrote: »
    The p2 does look small on you - not sure if it's the photo or not. Any progress on that front?

The first time i met him for a spin my first thoughts was why is this guy riding a kids sized bike given his height:) even though its a size too big for me:p hate being such a short arse!!

• Advertisement

Notwitch wrote: »
    Great to see you start a log Bambaata. Interesting that you see your ability to handle pain as a weakness last year. Any specific plans/pointers on tackling that one?

How did your training week pre christmas go? Any chance the sickness resulted from the big week away?

Best of luck with the goals. The p2 does look small on you - not sure if it's the photo or not. Any progress on that front?

Hey Notwitch. I think there are a few things on the pain thing. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of very hard efforts. I just don't like it! Plain and simple but i know to improve i need to do it. I feel great after a successful "hard" session but not so great during it. I think the more i do it the more ill at least tolerate it and adapt to it. There are numerous races in the past where'd id finish and feel like i could almost go again, i obviously hadn't pushed hard enough. What i thought was hard obviously wasn't etc. I think also that i may not have always fueled myself properly for a hard session that id do after work etc. A combination of tiredness from work and not enough fuel will obviously impact so i am going to pay greater attention to afternoon snacks to make sure i can go full throttle in the session later that night.

Good question on the Xmas sickness. I had actually just come off the back of a recovery week! And it was a proper recovery week with low hours and no work! Im not sure exactly what it was but i had done a fair amount of travelling etc and had been exposed to hot/cold/hot/cold etc. I remember being fairly cold during a BG session a few days before falling ill but to be honest i dont know exactly. I wasnt dying by any means but just took the decision to lay up rather than help it develop. It was just a sore throat, stuffed up nose and sinus issues with minor aches 1 or 2 of the 4 days. I wasnt bed ridden by any means - typical man-flu ;) Seems most at work also had it over the break but i hadnt been at work for 8 days beforehand :confused:

I'll be getting onto sorting the bike issue around the end of Jan/early Feb. Im waiting on the P5 to be released but highly doubt ill be able to afford it going by what price mloc saw mentioned.

Bike - Easy 1hr, cadence > 90
    Great session this evening. I felt tired in the lunchtime run today and put it partly down to a little less sleep than usual coupled with the possibility of too great a kcal deficit over the past few days so i was expecting to feel a little labored here. Had no such issues. Due to feeling decent i kept power towards mid/high side of the zone and kept a good fresh cadence. good stretch out afterwards too. Good session playing some online poker and reading some of Macca's book. Cant do that outside and off the turbo ;)
    Time: 01:00:00, Ave Power 188W, Distance 30.95km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Bike - Easy 1hr, cadence > 90
    Good session playing some online poker and reading some of Macca's book. Cant do that outside and off the turbo ;)

Interesting tip already - I never thought of playing poker on the turbo!

Friday 6th January
    Morning Swim
    I believe this is my biggest pool swim to date, 4000m. It was a mixture of 400 -> 100sw's and 100B+B's with some drills at the start and fast 50s to finish. I am never feeling great in the mornings. Most likely as im not fuelled yet. I always feel much stronger after work. This morning was no exception. I even went a few lengths further than usual and after last nights turbo i stocked up on peanut butter/crackers, paté/crackers and had a lovely chicken dinner with plenty of veggies right away along with a protein shake. I was trying to make sure i was ready for this morning. I went to bed early feeling satisfied, not too full but not hungry. When i got up i had the usual half glass OJ with my vits & minerals, some leftovers if the chicken (very small amount) and some Lucazade sport on the way. I had that about 40mins before starting off and hoped it might help.

Well after the warmup and drills i hit the 400sw and immediately knew i wasn't going to be hitting the times i do generally when i swim later. I felt quite weak and just couldn't get the same power in my stroke, it was actually worse than usual and 50s per 50m felt quite laboured! After the 400 and 4 x100B+B i felt a bit better but still not wonderful. Finished with the fast 50s on 42, 40, 42 and about 41 (got held up with 5m to go at the end of the lane). They'd normally be 38 - 41. I think for long ones like this I'm going to do it in the evening and get the most out of the session. Form was okish. Time flew by though and the distance felt fine, I was still feeling ok and not too fatigued by the end. I have read before that it generally takes the body til about 3pm before its fully up to temperature and working 100% and it certainly felt true today! Ive been evening swimming a fair bit recently so im just going to have to get used to it and muck on.
    Time:01:27:00, Distance: 4000m

Lunchtime Run
    Today was 5 x 5mins mod hard, 1 easy. Ive been running to RPE lately as i am HRM strapless (until later tonight) so i thought somewhere in the region of 03:40 - 03:50 would be about right based off the 03:30ave for the Jingle Bells 5km race recently. Well first one was perfect, i dipped to 03:35 for a while and was thinking i must be pushing a little hard to backed off very marginally and came in on 03:40/km pace. Then i turned around (out and back again on Clontarf Strand) and bang! Hello Mr Wind!! Oh how i hate him! Then i realised why 03:40 felt fine, i was being shoved along!! So reps 2 to 4 were back into Mr Wind, they came in on 04:10, 04:16, 04:09. Then rep 5 was a mix of headwind and tailwind (for 02:00 of the 5 or so) and came in on 03:59. Decent session and i felt RPE was fairly consistent
    Time: 00:50:24, Ave Pace: 04:11min/km, Distance: 12.04km

Tat wind has been wrecking my buzz all week! Nice swimming there. 4K put down and you are training for a HIM :eek:

Fecking wind is the same here. Frustrating as hell.

4k swim in January!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Friday 6th January
    Morning Swim
    I believe this is my biggest pool swim to date, 4000m. It was a mixture of 400 -> 100sw's and 100B+B's with some drills at the start and fast 50s to finish. I am never feeling great in the mornings. Most likely as im not fuelled yet. I always feel much stronger after work. This morning was no exception. I even went a few lengths further than usual and after last nights turbo i stocked up on peanut butter/crackers, paté/crackers and had a lovely chicken dinner with plenty of veggies right away along with a protein shake. I was trying to make sure i was ready for this morning. I went to bed early feeling satisfied, not too full but not hungry. When i got up i had the usual half glass OJ with my vits & minerals, some leftovers if the chicken (very small amount) and some Lucazade sport on the way. I had that about 40mins before starting off and hoped it might help.

Well after the warmup and drills i hit the 400sw and immediately knew i wasn't going to be hitting the times i do generally when i swim later. I felt quite weak and just couldn't get the same power in my stroke, it was actually worse than usual and 50s per 50m felt quite laboured! After the 400 and 4 x100B+B i felt a bit better but still not wonderful. Finished with the fast 50s on 42, 40, 42 and about 41 (got held up with 5m to go at the end of the lane). They'd normally be 38 - 41. I think for long ones like this I'm going to do it in the evening and get the most out of the session. Form was okish. Time flew by though and the distance felt fine, I was still feeling ok and not too fatigued by the end. I have read before that it generally takes the body til about 3pm before its fully up to temperature and working 100% and it certainly felt true today! Ive been evening swimming a fair bit recently so im just going to have to get used to it and muck on.

Lunchtime Run
    Today was 5 x 5mins mod hard, 1 easy. Ive been running to RPE lately as i am HRM strapless (until later tonight) so i thought somewhere in the region of 03:40 - 03:50 would be about right based off the 03:30ave for the Jingle Bells 5km race recently. Well first one was perfect, i dipped to 03:35 for a while and was thinking i must be pushing a little hard to backed off very marginally and came in on 03:40/km pace. Then i turned around (out and back again on Clontarf Strand) and bang! Hello Mr Wind!! Oh how i hate him! Then i realised why 03:40 felt fine, i was being shoved along!! So reps 2 to 4 were back into Mr Wind, they came in on 04:10, 04:16, 04:09. Then rep 5 was a mix of headwind and tailwind (for 02:00 of the 5 or so) and came in on 03:59. Decent session and i felt RPE was fairly consistent

Not looking forward to getting lapped when i get back swimming. I'll be going in the mornings so you go in evening.

Given most races start about 0700 should you not look at figuring out why you cannot "wake up" for the sessions and address that than rather just training in the evenings?

tunney wrote: »
    Given most races start about 0700 should you not look at figuring out why you cannot "wake up" for the sessions and address that than rather just training in the evenings?

Maybe it's something you just need to get used to and give your body time to adapt.

Personally I used to find early morning swims hard but in the lead up to Barcelona all my swims were first thing in the morning on empty. I actually prefer them now and the body has gotten used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Friday 6th January
    Morning Swim

Lunchtime Run

That wind was brutal today out there. I ran there at lunchtime from the business park, first time running out that way. I was only doing a recovery run but the wind still annoying!!

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Maybe it's something you just need to get used to and give your body time to adapt.

Personally I used to find early morning swims hard but in the lead up to Barcelona all my swims were first thing in the morning on empty. I actually prefer them now and the body has gotten used to it.

Also unless the pool is around the corner, the commute to the pool is generally less stressful at 6-7am. I much prefer swimming in the morning. More likely to find your own kind down there first thing to keep you company oo ratehr than the madness of the general public. The evening before the morning I swim I generally have some toast or a bowl of cereal before I go to bed

Advertisement