Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil level sensor in VW golf

• 12-09-2010 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

For the past few months the yellow oil level light has been coming on on my golf (1.4 petrol, 2001) from time to time, once or twice a week. In fact it tends to happen around one particular stretch of the M50 which is where I reach about 110Km/h having started up the engine from cold about 10 or 15 mins previously. The oil level is ok, and opening the bonnet always clears the light.

So I'm presuming it's just a faulty oil level sensor. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how much a replacement costs, or even if there's something else I need to be looking into (apart from the obvious one of getting a proper car :rolleyes:). Worth mentioning that the car also has a clogged up crankcase breather box which could be contributing to the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

mate the 1.4 golfs are very bad for getting sludge in the oil intake pipe and this can cause big problems. might be worth taking to a good mechanic who can scan it and see if a fault shows up for the oil level sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Didn't think that engine had an Oil Level sensor, I thought it was Oil Pressure.

they all had oil pressure but some had an oil level sensor also. some sumps have a hole in the bottom for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Didn't think that engine had an Oil Level sensor, I thought it was Oil Pressure.

It's both - handbook says that a yellow oil warning light means low level, and red means low pressure.

drBill wrote: »
    It's both - handbook says that a yellow oil warning light means low level, and red means low pressure.
    there are two sensors one for oil pressure and one for oil level. as i said above not all mk4s are fitted with an oil level sensor.

op try looking on ukmkivs.net loads of info about mk4s there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

My friend had a oil warning light as well in similar Golf,

she thought it was oil level warning but it was oil pressure one,

two weeks later and changed engine Golf works again.

So I would not take any changes with this.

Advertisement