Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That leather cleaner smells lovely. Must do mine again

(just to clarify I can't smell the picture)

Nowhere near as nice as Gliptone imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Never smelt that, post up a pic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Nowhere near as nice as Gliptone imo.
    That leather cleaner smells lovely. Must do mine again

(just to clarify I can't smell the picture)

The AG one smells absolutely unreal, hence why i bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Never smelt that, post up a pic. :)

gliptone-leather-care-pack-gt11-conditioner-gt12-cleaner-1237-p.jpg

Smells good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I find the AG cleaner is lovely, but the balm is rank!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I find the AG cleaner is lovely, but the balm is rank!

The cleaner is basically an APC rather than a leather-specific cleaner.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

So, used the motor for the first time since I've put the regulator in, and while out and about gave the window a test. Low and behold she came back up no problem. Now it was a little sluggish for the first third, but nowhere like it was before, and I'm even thinking it may have always been like that. I have a theory on what's changed from when it was stopping halfway, but anyone wanna hazard a guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

delly wrote: »
    So, used the motor for the first time since I've put the regulator in, and while out and about gave the window a test. Low and behold she came back up no problem. Now it was a little sluggish for the first third, but nowhere like it was before, and I'm even thinking it may have always been like that. I have a theory on what's changed from when it was stopping halfway, but anyone wanna hazard a guess?

Did you grease up the scissor arms and the rollers?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Did you grease up the scissor arms and the rollers?

Nope, neither are on this model. I haven't actually done anything else, something in the windows environment has changed so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Well in spite of the rain trying to hamper and interrupt progress, today I've managed to;

Clean out the EGR valve after leaving it soak in a bucket of diesel all night.
    Cleaned out the throttle butterfly with carb cleaner.
    Re-assembled the lot and re-fitted it.
    Replaced the manky air filter.
    Replaced the fuel filter.
    Cleaned a pile of muck from the underside.

Job done until I can get a blanking kit ;)

Before
    valve1.jpg

After
    egr_after1.jpg

Before
    valve2.jpg

After
    egr_after3.jpg

Before
    valve3.jpg

After
    egr_after2.jpg

Before
    valve4.jpg

After
    egr_after4.jpg

And throttle before
    butterfly.jpg

After
    throttle_after1.jpg

throttle_after2.jpg

Still running rough after all that so fault finding continues :(

delly wrote: »

Sounds like a bad regulator/motor to me?

Did you replace both?

it's either one of those two or the rubbers and incorrectly placed on the runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Just in from the car. Been trying to figure out for the last 2hours why the hell theres not a peep from the subs. I kniw im doing something stupid thatll be an easy fix in the morning, at least i hope. It would have topped off what was a good day but disaster instead :mad:

Well when i switched the regulator at first, it was up a bit then stopping, and this went on on the day. So I was trying to figure it out as I think it was making contact towards the inner point, lubing it up and faced with the possibility of opening it up again. It is possible that the motor is a little weak as well, but what changed today was, or at least in my theory was, that the car was running.

I had been arsing around for the guts of 3 hours, doors open, keys in, up and down with the button etc. So my theory was that testing it after the few hours may not have been the best. Not that the battery was drained or anything, but just enough to make it struggle. As I say, today while driving it will go up and down fully without stopping, although the first third is slow, so I don't doubt there is another element at play, but the major problem I think was testing it on battery after a few hours. Sound plausible?

Sounds very confusing!

i've had two e46 coupes and two saloons, both windows went up and down seemlessly!

Lol, and I'm sure they did on this one at one stage as well, maybe I'm being too pedantic. They only two theory's are that the motor has been stressed a bit, so in that case it may go at some stage, or the other theory is the the window is maybe a millimetre or two pushed into the inner guide giving it a touch extra resistance.

As I say, it is working fully now, but just a touch slower than the passenger window. No more embarrassing order taking at the McDonalds drive thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just in from the car. Been trying to figure out for the last 2hours why the hell theres not a peep from the subs. I kniw im doing something stupid thatll be an easy fix in the morning, at least i hope. It would have topped off what was a good day but disaster instead :mad:

Same reason you had no sound the last day?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Turn up the volume :D

Check you didn't turn the sub channel off in the radio settings though.

The reason id no sound the last day was cos the sub i got was blown :)

Im going out again now to attack them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

The reason id no sound the last day was cos the sub i got was blown :)

Im going out again now to attack them!
    Bad earth? no earth? A common enough one to catch people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Make sure the remote switching input on the Sub's getting 12v!

Owen wrote: »
    Make sure the remote switching input on the Sub's getting 12v!
    Yeah, get out the multimeter, you're at nothing otherwise!

I had the multimeter out for an hour lasy night. The remote lead is working and the amp is getting 12v with a good ground.
    Gotta put coilovers on my buddys e36 in a while so gotta make this quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

I'd like to rephrase the title to "today i did something in my car"

today i did 56mpg in my car.

the fuel light came on on sunday, i put €60.00 of diesel in, the fuel light came back on today and i've done 440 miles in the meantime.

thats good real world going in my opinion :)

I had the multimeter out for an hour lasy night. The remote lead is working and the amp is getting 12v with a good ground.
    Gotta put coilovers on my buddys e36 in a while so gotta make this quick!
    Well????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Put the meter onto the input cables to the sub and see if you get a voltage while the stereo is playing, it will not be a stable voltage, you are only looking to see if there is a signal coming from the H.U. . Is the signal coming direct from the head or an external AMP, are you using crossovers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Turned my 406 into a van :pac:

Image2017.jpg
    Image2018.jpg

Ditched the backbox as it was the wrong one and leaking
    Image2014.jpg

Then got very annoyed when I saw these
    Image2019.jpg

So I had to do something
    Image2021.jpg
    Image2022.jpg

Now how to get the carpets out for the next day... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You never cease to amaze me the amount of work you do to your fleet of cars dgt!

Arrived home to find a nice package from BMW - everything needed to fit the rear shocks, replacement mounts, and all associated parts, inspection 2 kit and a new service booklet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

dgt wrote: »
    Turned my 406 into a van :pac:.. :cool:

Em I was not expect that :D

Are you going to weld the back doors closed and take off the door handles and full them in with filler?

I was driving along in my mothers yaris today. Noticed a strange rattling noise, pulled over and couldent find any problem with the engine. Brought it to the local mechanic and he told me that I had a blue pen stuck between the dash and front window. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

+1

The man is a machine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement