Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting time for carer's allowance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 browneyedrosha

Linda dub wrote: »
    Thats great news to hear at least you finally got a decision and not before time ... Unbelivable a whole year waiting! Im sure you will get it all backdated and you can sort everything out ... Great to hear a bit good news here for a change .... Its well deserved, its not an easy job to do physically or mentally at least your getting your entitlements now :)

Thanks Linda dub! Its really a gr8 feeling. Everyone sharing this thread knows the frustration felt in being left waiting in limbo on decisions. as you said its hard enough physically, emotionally and mentally without being made feel that we are 2nd class citizens.
    I sincerely hope you and everyone out there in 'waiting land' have good outcomes and get the recognition so badly deserved.
    Its so upsetting to read that some people been cared for have passed away while waiting for a decision. i cant even start to imagine the extra upset and anger they must be feeling. As you said it hard enough.

But maybe my bit of news may just (& i really hope) give some a little hope that there is a glimmer of light even after a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Ah,that's great news.I wish you all the best and hope many more on this forum have the same outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭IrishMumOf1

Thanks Linda dub! Its really a gr8 feeling. Everyone sharing this thread knows the frustration felt in being left waiting in limbo on decisions. as you said its hard enough physically, emotionally and mentally without being made feel that we are 2nd class citizens.
    I sincerely hope you and everyone out there in 'waiting land' have good outcomes and get the recognition so badly deserved.
    Its so upsetting to read that some people been cared for have passed away while waiting for a decision. i cant even start to imagine the extra upset and anger they must be feeling. As you said it hard enough.

But maybe my bit of news may just (& i really hope) give some a little hope that there is a glimmer of light even after a year!

Well done, that was a long hard year for you, pray others incl myself :) can get the same happy news soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭skate22

Finally a bit of good news for someone. It has been a long wait for you and I am so glad that its finally over for you. Will give a little bit of hope to others who are waiting as well. As far as I am aware you will get the money backdated to your original application. I know a friend of mine did and after all it is money you earned doing a very tough job. Well done

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

Hi folks i got letter from carers this morn looking for more information .... Spoke to somebody who said this is last information needed before decision made . I asked was both my parents medicals passesd and he said one done so far i then asked was the one passed and he said couldnt give me that information over phone !!!! When i asked how much longer before i know ofdecision he said they only work on aug applicants be at least another 4 to 5 weeks so def taking 36 to 40 weeks :((( ive faxed over the information they required rather than post it... Fingers crossed it gets there and doesnt cause any more delays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 browneyedrosha

Hi folks i got letter from carers this morn looking for more information .... Spoke to somebody who said this is last information needed before decision made . I asked was both my parents medicals passesd and he said one done so far i then asked was the one passed and he said couldnt give me that information over phone !!!! When i asked how much longer before i know ofdecision he said they only work on aug applicants be at least another 4 to 5 weeks so def taking 36 to 40 weeks :((( ive faxed over the information they required rather than post it... Fingers crossed it gets there and doesnt cause any more delays

OMG! :eek: that is soooo frustrating for you! imagine that they want all ur info but cant answer a simple ? over the phone! crazy! i would defo keep calling them every week. I did submit extra medical info on 2 occasions because my situ was going on so long, but perhaps this helped me as health had deteriorated a good bit in the yr. im sorry to hear you have another wait on ur hands, but hopefully itll be soon resolved and you will be passed. best of luck!

Also thanks to all for all the 'good luck' wishes you all expressed towards me. N i will be keeping an eye on how you are all progressing. Keep the chin up ;)

Does anyone know that if you are awarded the Carer's Allowance is the respite grant included in your back payment or do you loose this.

As far as i Know you Have to Be getting carers allowance in the first week In june to automatically get respite grant... Ive heard can still Apply for grant if dont qualify for carers ... Regarding getting it backdated im not too sure bt respite grant guidelines might give you More info?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

when i won my appeal. i was back dated the money that is including the Respite money as well . but i had to wait a little longer as the bank account that i gave when i applied had closed. i had to open a new account and they had to wait till it bounced of my closed account before they could reissue the money .

I would like to ask is the Respite money paid in the first week in June or the end of June . i am planning on paying my car insurance out of it. as it ends on the 25 may

jamescc wrote: »
    when i won my appeal. i was back dated the money that is including the rest bite money as well . but i had to wait a little longer as the bank account that i gave when i applied had closed. i had to open a new account and they had to wait till it bounced of my closed account before they could reissue the money .

I would like to ask is the rest bite money paid in the first week in June or the end of June . i am planning on paying my car insurance out of it. as it ends on the 25 may

I read on this link it was the first week in June, Published on Thursday 2nd June 2011

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2011/06/almost-70000-carers-to-receive-respite-care-grant-this-year-e658-million-will-be-spent-on-schemes-to-support-carers-in-2011/

• Advertisement

so by my figures i will miss it by a week as the 31st of may is the the last Thursday of the month.

jamescc wrote: »
    so by my figures i will miss it by a week as the 31st of may is the the last Thursday of the month.

Looks that way, its so much cheaper paying that kind of thing in one go too. Maybe I have it wrong but thats the only date I could find online for it. I am just praying I get my carers allowance and they backdate it incl the respite grant as it looks like I have another 8 to 9 weeks to go before I hear anything.

If you had been caring for someone 6 weeks (I think) prior to June you will get the respite grant included in your back pay. You also do not have to be in receipt of Carer's Allowance to apply for the grant. You have up to Dec of this year to apply for the grant for 2011. If you are getting Carer's Allowance you are automatically paid the grant at the beginning of June. This is info I was given by Citizens Advice.

As I am waiting for my appeal to be sorted I decided to apply for the grant separately and when I rang them they told me that they are waiting for the decision from the Appeals before they decide on my application. So I cant win either way.

My patience is running out at this stage and will make a few more calls before I get back in touch with the ombudsman. It has been a year and 9 months now since my original application. :(

Jesus thats disgraceful skate 22 you must be fit to be tied at this stage!!!! Is there nowhere else you can get more advice about your situation? Terrible to think your on your own dealing with all this ... It be worth your while to get a solicitor ( tho prob too expensive ) to Give you some legal advice on Your situation... The best of luck anyway keep us posted on any new developments

skate22 wrote: »
    You have up to Dec of this year to apply for the grant for 2011.

Am I reading this right or am I having a blonde moment. I have been caring for my husband since 2008 (never knew we could get carers, there's a real blonde moment for you, :p) so does that mean I could apply now for the grant given out in June 2011/ or am I reading this wrong and I would be applying for the grant for this year 2012. :confused:

The wait to find out about the carer's allowance can be frustrating but I don't know If I could do it for as long as you have skate22.

Am I reading this right or am I having a blonde moment. I have been caring for my husband since 2008 (never knew we could get carers, there's a real blonde moment for you, :p) so does that mean I could apply now for the grant given out in June 2011/ or am I reading this wrong and I would be applying for the grant for this year 2012. :confused:

The wait to find out about the carer's allowance can be frustrating but I don't know If I could do it for as long as you have skate22.

Hi when I was refused the allowance I went to Citizens Advice and they told me that I didn't have to be in receipt of Carer's to get the Respite Care Grant. If you are getting the allowance it is paid out automatically and you do not need to apply. To qualify you would have to be providing care for 6 months and this has to include the 1st Thurs in June.

In your situation, you could have applied for it even though you hadn't applied for the Carer's Allowance. What a pity people are not aware of these things.
    Anyway, you have up to Dec of this year to apply for the 2011 grant because you didn't apply for Carer's Allowance till Oct 2011. This years grant (paid in June 2012) will be paid to you automatically when you get the Carer's Allowance.

You should ring Respite Care Section on (01) 6732222 for an application form and when you fill it out state that you want the grant for 2011. make sure you let them know the date you applied for the Carer's Allowance because as it was after June 2011 you wouldn't get that grant in your backdated payment. Also stress that you were not aware that you could have applied for it prior to June last year.

Hope this helps, best of luck :) And no it was not a blonde moment, unfortunately we don't always know what we are entitled to claim and as usual only seem to find out when its too late. :rolleyes:

Jesus thats disgraceful skate 22 you must be fit to be tied at this stage!!!! Is there nowhere else you can get more advice about your situation? Terrible to think your on your own dealing with all this ... It be worth your while to get a solicitor ( tho prob too expensive ) to Give you some legal advice on Your situation... The best of luck anyway keep us posted on any new developments

Hi Linda dub

I have been in touch again with the appeals office as I do on a regular basis. No news on my appeal yet but I will now be writing another letter. I do this on a weekly basis more for my own sake so that I know I am keeping on top of it. I will contact the Carer's Association as well for some further advice and I have all my files ready to send to the ombudsman.

As I said before I won't let this go because by refusing me I feel they have basically called me a liar and I will not accept or allow them to do this. I feel very strongly about this. I was a full time carer and I deserve this to be recognised. Ah well the fight continues :mad:

So sad that we have to fight for everything in this country. Oh and I have just been refused JSA (am no longer a carer) as well because my husbands wage was over the limit because he did a few weeks overtime at the beginning of the year. Of course he no longer has any overtime but this won't make any difference and I am not going down the road of another appeal.

Things just get better and better :mad: ha ha

What a nitemare for you thats unbeliveable.. As you say have to figgt for everything is right its an absolute disgrace. When i applied back in sept my husband was on JSA and claiming for me as a qualified adult.. In march he applies for BTWEA. He keeps sw entitlements for two years ... However he never got to start work as he go very sick ... We awaiting tests and results ... I spoke to cwo who advised hm to stay on BTWEA until all results back because to claim disability allownce you now must be able to prove you cannot work for a year or more. If its bad news then he wont have choice bt to
    Go on dis alowance... Whichever SW payment he gets im still
    Entitled to half rate carers... They sent me letter fri look for payslips from six weeks i explained situation to them and said need put in writing... I faxed that over along with the letter from hosp saying he inpatient and unable work for at least next six weeks.... It probably go hold up decision now ... Complete nightmare between one thing and another !!!!

What a nitemare for you thats unbeliveable.. As you say have to figgt for everything is right its an absolute disgrace. When i applied back in sept my husband was on JSA and claiming for me as a qualified adult.. In march he applies for BTWEA. He keeps sw entitlements for two years ... However he never got to start work as he go very sick ... We awaiting tests and results ... I spoke to cwo who advised hm to stay on BTWEA until all results back because to claim disability allownce you now must be able to prove you cannot work for a year or more. If its bad news then he wont have choice bt to
    Go on dis alowance... Whichever SW payment he gets im still
    Entitled to half rate carers... They sent me letter fri look for payslips from six weeks i explained situation to them and said need put in writing... I faxed that over along with the letter from hosp saying he inpatient and unable work for at least next six weeks.... It probably go hold up decision now ... Complete nightmare between one thing and another !!!!

Hi Linda Dub

Hopefully it won't hold up the decision. They won't make any decision until they have all the documentation they need. Just make sure to keep copies of everything. But it is definitely a nightmare I agree. You would think that the application form is enough and that in itself has tons of information to be filled in. After all no one is going to apply for Carer's Allowance for someone who is miracously going to recover 6 weeks later. We are all aware that this is an allowance to care for someone who has long term health problems. The original application should be enough. It is just a load of bull and red tape that goes to further the waiting time for decisions.

Anyway I do hope your husband feels some bit better soon and wish you the best

Couldnt agree with you more skate 22.... Its only when you go onto these boards you realise there are so many people waiting and in very different circumstances too. We all know well its tough enough job without having to practically almost beg to get recognition for it...

• Advertisement

Skate22, I think that it is terrible the way your application for carer's was turned down.You mention the ombusman and I know of people that have gone down this road but I was just wondering if you went to any legal advice centres. These centre's have been known to represent people in similar situations to yourself.

Looks that way, its so much cheaper paying that kind of thing in one go too. Maybe I have it wrong but thats the only date I could find online for it. I am just praying I get my carers allowance and they backdate it incl the respite grant as it looks like I have another 8 to 9 weeks to go before I hear anything.

best of luck I know how frustrating that it can be.

Jasssss wrote: »
    Skate22, I think that it is terrible the way your application for carer's was turned down.You mention the ombusman and I know of people that have gone down this road but I was just wondering if you went to any legal advice centres. These centre's have been known to represent people in similar situations to yourself.

Hi Jassssss

I have contacted the ombudsman and sent regular e-mails regarding my case. I have been told that if I am not happy with the appeals decision to get back in touch with them. I am now waiting for the final decision from the appeals board but my patience running out. I did get a letter today, only after a lot of letter writing and phone calls, to say that "the matter is receiving attention and a further letter will issue to you as soon as possible". Unfortunately, their soon as possible could be another 6 months. I am giving it two more weeks and then will request all my files from them and get back in touch with the ombudsman.

Am weary at this stage :mad:

Skate22, fair play to you for being so persistant. I think you are right but after what you are after been through I dont think I would have the energy to keep going. I am only waiting a short time compared to most of you on the forum and I am already pulling my hair out.I know Rome was not built in a day but this wait is hitting a crisis.

Hi Jasssss

I am definitely persistent because if I don't continue with this I feel I am letting them call me a liar and I cannot allow that. I will stand up for what I feel I am entitled to. I WILL continue to fight their decision because I WAS a full time carer and and did the job for over 17 months. Unfortunately, my caree has passed away so I only want to be paid for work I genuinely did. After all if the person being cared for has to go into a home then it would cost the state a lot more than the carer's allowance. No SW worker would like to work 50 hours a week without payment.

Anyway, will continue the fight and keep this updated :(

PS just want to say here that this is not all about the money. I had no problem being a carer and was only glad to step into the job when I was asked (my sister in law did it for 5 years previous to me but had to emigrate). Unfortunately, I did need the payment and was entitled to apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I have been following this thread with interest. While I do understand the red tape involved from the Dept, I am at a loss to understand just how it can take 7/8 months to make a decision on the awarding of carer's allowance.

I am in a similar situation to many of you on here, i am caring for my 90 year old mother and applied for carer's allowance last December. The application was acknowledged received by them on February 14th (by text) - 2 months after it was sent and each time I call I get differing time scales as to when a decision will be made. Forms were completed correctly and all documentation attached.

I called this morning and was told they are only working on August 2011's applications although when I called a month ago, I was told they were working on September 2011.

Caring is not an easy task and the added stress of wondering if/when the carer's allowance will be granted just adds to the frustration.

I rang yesterday and was told that they were working on August 2011.I rang because my application is coming up to 3 months and i have not received a text or letter to say that they have it.Is the carer's allowance now one of the benefits with the longest waiting time or are people waiting on other benefits in the same way.I read the kildarestreet.com website daily and the amount of questions being asked about the carer's by TD'S from their constituent's has quadrupled.People are really struggling and totally stressed because of this delay.It beggars belief what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

Hi there! Just an update on my situation...Finally after exactly a year I have been told that i have been passed to receive CA. :) Today is a good day! Mind you I havent received written confirmation of this, but following a call to longford, i was told i will be receiving payment for both my parents! Dont know exact date yet or how long, or even if, i will get it backdated, but the lady i spoke to seemed optimistic that i would get it backdated to at least the last date i sent in additional medical information! Its been a long struggle, but hopefully in next few months i will have paid bills & loans which are currently outstanding! and I will be able to look guilft-free at my kind friends who lent me money over last few months!
    Hope more of you get good news this week!

O My Goodness, great news that you're going to get the CA at last - i can't believe it's been over a year of waiting for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭So Annoyed

Hi skate, you are right to fight for it. It's shocking that they refused you. The fact that your caree has passed on should be a sign in itself that the person needed to be cared for.

It's all about money, and the fact that they just don't want to have to pay it out.

It's a hard enough job.

• Advertisement

So Annoyed wrote: »
    Hi skate, you are right to fight for it. It's shocking that they refused you. The fact that your caree has passed on should be a sign in itself that the person needed to be cared for.

It's all about money, and the fact that they just don't want to have to pay it out.

It's a hard enough job.

Hi So Annoyed (an apt user name)

I agree that they don't want to have to pay out the money but they are quite happy to let us continue for so long without payment and tough luck if we get turned down. As I said before it is not as if our carees are miracously better while we await their decisions. We have to continue to care while we fight tooth and nail to what we are entitled to claim. I am sure this is a job few people would choose to do. We do it because it is needed and because we care and unfortunately we don't all sail through life without health problems or the need for care. The long long waiting time to get any decision also takes its toll on the person we care for as they are anxious and they worry that they will be left without a carer and may need to be put in a home. I know that was a constant worry with my caree.
    Anyway now you started me on a rant. I rang the Appeals Office again today and my file has been moved to the Chief Appeals Officer for decision. Was told I should hear in about 2 weeks. I WONT HOLD MY BREATH :(
    Will keep you posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement