Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting time for carer's allowance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

really fed up waiting at this stage - I wonder if the CWO would be able to give a payment whilst waiting for a decision on carers?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

aileach wrote: »
    really fed up waiting at this stage - I wonder if the CWO would be able to give a payment whilst waiting for a decision on carers?

I asked my cwo last week same question he said if the person caring and their dependants are getting the full social welfare entitlements into house thn cwo wont pay.. I dunno if any dependants or spouse works if same answer... My husband on sw and he claims myself n daughter... Im totally fed up wait thinking wen sent in shud hear xmas then maybe easter bt by looks things prob be bloody halloween 

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

i used to get it of the cwo. and my mother is on a widows pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Hi I am not waiting as long as most of you but I contacted my TD who is going to put it to the minister by way of a parlementary question.He is going to ask the minister why it is taking 8 months for applications to be processed.He also mentioned that the more TD'S that ask the question the better.Maybe if any of you have time you might just send an email to your local TD and ask them to put this question to the minister.The more people that do this the quicker we might get it.You dont have to mention your case if you dont want to.You can ask as a general question.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

my aunt applied for carers allowance in May of 2011 as she was my grand mothers main carer ( lived with her )...my grand mother died the middle of November and my aunt got the letter 8 days after her death to say she had been approved but it was too late by then..the 28 week mark it seems to be the waiting time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭IrishMumOf1

Jasssss wrote: »
    Hi I am not waiting as long as most of you but I contacted my TD who is going to put it to the minister by way of a parlementary question.He is going to ask the minister why it is taking 8 months for applications to be processed.He also mentioned that the more TD'S that ask the question the better.Maybe if any of you have time you might just send an email to your local TD and ask them to put this question to the minister.The more people that do this the quicker we might get it.You dont have to mention your case if you dont want to.You can ask as a general question.

:D:DDone this, hope it helps us all get some answers:D:D

I must try to get in touch with local TD - I suppose it would be worth a try.

If I have to wait until May to hear back I'll need a carer myself!!

I got in contact my local TD.. he said it has been brought up in dail lots of times but government excuse is due to cutbacks less staff in social welfare to deal with so many applications!!!! My husband has been very sick
    Lately and looks like he may have to go
    On disability allowance... CWO said its nearly as long as waiting for carers allowance ss it is for disability allowance .... What in gods name are people supposed to do... Wouldnt put up with it other countries 

Has anyone on this forum heard anything yet.I really dread to think of anyone getting refused after this lenght of time waiting.I hear appeals are taken just as long.I dont know much about the CWO but I know because my other half is working that they will not entertain me.I have tried to read back on some of the posts to find the average waiting time.Are we saying 8 months? or is it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 browneyedrosha

hi, i applied for carers allowance last april 15th (yes a yr ago this week!) and despite numerous ph calls to longford office they tell me its STILL with the medical officer! However, i received a 'free travel pass' notice in the mail this week, which i have to bring to CIE local office for processing. I ph'd longford as soon as i got it but was told application was with medical officer! Has anyone had similar experience of this ... and should i take it that this is a positive sign?

• Advertisement

O my god are u serious a full year? I thought was now 36-38 weeks dats a joke !!! Id say fact u got letter bout bus pass is a positive sign cos you get nothing for nothing ths country... Typical as i said before everytime ring get different person who tells somthing different .... Its an absolute joke :mad:

Linda dub wrote: »
    O my god are u serious a full year? I thought was now 36-38 weeks dats a joke !!! Id say fact u got letter bout bus pass is a positive sign cos you get nothing for nothing ths country... Typical as i said before everytime ring get different person who tells somthing different .... Its an absolute joke :mad:

I hoping its a good sign, but unfortunately its not much use in my situation as neither of my parents are really able to travel by bus not to mind train! I realise that there are prob lots who would love to have one but even if my parents could use bus eg 4 hosp appointment, we live in a very rural area, which means i would have to drive them to local bus, park car (paying parking charge), get bus to city centre, change bus at least once more, and walk from bus stop to main hosp enterence, & both parents have walking aids!!! At least if i get an allowance it would help with petrol expense. I just live in hope!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭So Annoyed

If you got the bus pass, you have been passed for the carers!

I think you have been granted it.They would surely not give you a bus pass if you had of been refused.Was there a problem with your application for carers allowance that it has taken in excess of a year to process.

I have been told in my recent contact with the social welfare that my husband satisfies the medical criteria for receipt of carer’s allowance. That they needed to complete their investigations into my claim and would let me know shortly.

How are things for you Linda dub, long time no chat, any positive news for you?

I would agree with you about that lady getting the bus pass. That department would not have issued that without first getting confirmation that she was approved for carer's allowance, its just that department once they get confirmation tend to operate quickly on sending items out. So if you get a letter giving you a bus pass, it means your carers allowance is not far behind.

At least your getting some positive news :)) ive been in touch with social welfare recently but just keep getting different answers at this stage im
    Very confused.... Last update was they working on august 2011 applications and mine still
    Pending but getting there whatever thsts supposed to mean !!!!!

Jasssss wrote: »
    I think you have been granted it.They would surely not give you a bus pass if you had of been refused.Was there a problem with your application for carers allowance that it has taken in excess of a year to process.

Hi Jasssss, Im sure your right, and i guess that I'll prob get a letter soon. There was no problems with my application, as i said i applied last april, but i applied for both my parents and i suppose that meant double work for the medical officers. I submitted extra info in aug as my dads health was deteriorating quite rapidly, and following a call to them they advised me to send follow up medical information again in early new year. I dont know if this extra information slowed down the whole process, but then again perhaps I might have been turned down without it. I still dont know if i will get it for both parents, but I will be grateful for help at this stage. I know I should be entitled to it but to be honest, i'm so exhausted at this stage that i dont even have the energy to fight for much longer.

OMG that is terrible that you had to wait this long.I know you made two applications but this is beyond a joke.I hope I dont have to wait this long.I gave up work to look after my child who is in receipt of dca.I cannot go on job seekers because I am not available for work,I cannot go to the CWO because my other half is working and I've been told that they wont help.Life is hard enough for carer's without this added pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭skate22

Hi I posted the original thread on this topic of Waiting time for Carer's Allowance. I thought now I would just give an update.
    Applied for Carers in July 2010, was refused in Sept 2010 and appealed it.
    Had an oral hearing in Aug 2011 and got the decision in Nov 2011 and was refused. 4 weeks later the person I was caring for passed away. There was no dispute of the fact that a carer was needed and the appeals board didn't dispute this. I was refused the allowance because it was assumed that I was also working (I was not and proved this to them). I spent a lot of time providing full time care but they never believed me. I have now got my appeal reopened since Jan of this year and will continue to fight my case for the money I am owed. As a result of this my claim for JSA has been held up and I won't even go into what I owe on mortgage and credit cards as I was relying on this money. Have also been in touch with the ombudsman regarding this.

By the way, I got several local TDs to write and ring on my behalf on numerous occasions and have even written to Joan Burton but it made no difference whatsoever. All in all I waited a full 16 months for the decision and I am still fighting it. I have applied as well for legal aid because I will go as far as I have to with this.

PS the reason my appeal was disallowed was a totally different reason to the original reason of appeal. GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE AWAITING A DECISION.

At least your getting some positive news :)) ive been in touch with social welfare recently but just keep getting different answers at this stage im
    Very confused.... Last update was they working on august 2011 applications and mine still
    Pending but getting there whatever thsts supposed to mean !!!!!

From what you have written and here and from what I have been told, it sounds like our applications are being worked on. My guess is that that are working on paying out the august 2011 applications that were approved and this is where they have the back log.

Purely guessing of course on my behalf. But you applied in Sept and I applied in Oct and both our applications are being processed as they could tell us information on them.

Def sounds to me like a backlog issuing back payments and regular payments to me. If I hear anything else I will post asap.

• Advertisement

From what you have written and here and from what I have been told, it sounds like our applications are being worked on. My guess is that that are working on paying out the august 2011 applications that were approved and this is where they have the back log.

Purely guessing of course on my behalf. But you applied in Sept and I applied in Oct and both our applications are being processed as they could tell us information on them.

Def sounds to me like a backlog issuing back payments and regular payments to me. If I hear anything else I will post asap.

I applied in September 2011 and was told that they received my application on Sept 30th.

I haven't heard from them since then, do you think I should phone them to find out what stage my application is at?

I am really struggling financially at the moment and just feel so depressed.

Hi aileach

I was wondering if you have a letter confirming that your application was received, at this stage you should definitely have that letter. You could then try the CWO and see about getting payment while you are awaiting their decision. If you have a spouse or partner working full time I don't think the CWO pays you. The only positive thing I would say here is that at least you haven't been refused so far because its the appeals that take so long. I applied in July 2010 and got a letter in Sept 2010 refusing me the allowance. Thats when I appealed the decision.

PS I would advise everyone to keeps copies of everything you send in because it seems with the volume of applications they receive, paperwork goes missing a lot. At least if you have a copy you can just forward it on to them. This is advice I got from the doctor filling in the medical section of the form. Also, if you have to write to them ask for written acknowledgement of any letter you send in, and keep dates and times of any phone calls you make.

Best of Luck:)

skate22 wrote: »
    Hi aileach

I was wondering if you have a letter confirming that your application was received, at this stage you should definitely have that letter. You could then try the CWO and see about getting payment while you are awaiting their decision. If you have a spouse or partner working full time I don't think the CWO pays you. The only positive thing I would say here is that at least you haven't been refused so far because its the appeals that take so long. I applied in July 2010 and got a letter in Sept 2010 refusing me the allowance. Thats when I appealed the decision.

PS I would advise everyone to keeps copies of everything you send in because it seems with the volume of applications they receive, paperwork goes missing a lot. At least if you have a copy you can just forward it on to them. This is advice I got from the doctor filling in the medical section of the form. Also, if you have to write to them ask for written acknowledgement of any letter you send in, and keep dates and times of any phone calls you make.

Best of Luck:)

That's the thing :mad: I didn't get any written notification that they had received my application, I applied at the end of September and hadn't heard anything by the end of October so I phoned and was then told that my application was received on Sept 30th. The guy I spoke to said that I should have received notification by text if I had given a mobile number (I had given a mobile number but hadn't received notification). I guess I should have asked him for a reference number but didn't think to.

The main reason for my lack of funds is that I had to move house and am renting a house next door to my parents in order look after them. My own house is on the market at the moment but of course not selling, not even any interest in it so I'm paying a mortgage and renting at the same time.

I was told that time that I definately wouldn't have a decision before Christmas and that it would most likely be the end of February, so I was hopeful until I discovered this thread!! Since the end of March I've been checking the postbox every morning.

Maybe I should ring them up and get a reference number to bring to the CWO? I did photocopy everything I sent in. My husband is in full time employment but is on very low pay and he also gets FIS. We have 3 children.

I know the feeling of checking the post box every morning and waiting for the brown envelope with some bit of news.

You should ring in the morning and insist you get written confirmation about your claim and also give them your mobile no and say you want the text that they said they sent you. Your PPS No does as your ref no because thats what they usually ask you for when you ring. Explain that you need to go to the CWO and you need this letter straight away. I don't know if the CWO will give you anything because your husband works over 30 hours and you are also getting FIS but at least in making a claim you are proving to them that you are in need of the payment. I think for your family size you would need to have an income of less than 400 euro a week before getting any payment from them, but again, no harm in applying. You might as well be waiting for 2 letters from the postman.

Have you thought about maybe renting the house you have for sale which might at least cover some of the mortgage. You could also try speaking to your bank about a moratorium break from your mortgage. They usually give a 3 month break and that will give a little bit of breathing space.

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. I am still appealing my case 21 months later and the person I was caring for has passed away. I am now looking for payment for the months that I was her full time carer for. But my case completely different to yours so don't let that put you off. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Maybe I should ring them up and get a reference number to bring to the CWO?
    Your reference number will be your PPS number, the CWO should be able to see if your claim is registered on the system or not.

Just reading back over last couple pages on this thread it is an absolute disgrace the way carers and carees are being treated ....the very fact some loved ones have passed away before they have a right to their entitlement to have a carer never mind the carers thmselves is a joke.... It just proves how much of a joke this country has become ... Its appalling to think how many are out there struggling to Look after and care for loved ones and having all This red tape to deal with on top of all the pressure theyre already under....we all Have different situations which we have to deal with but some people on this are really desperate and surely somthing should be done in these cases .Shame on this government and the last one to allow this to happen in the first place and then to
    allow it to continue 

Just reading back over last couple pages on this thread it is an absolute disgrace the way carers and carees are being treated ....the very fact some loved ones have passed away before they have a right to their entitlement to have a carer never mind the carers thmselves is a joke.... It just proves how much of a joke this country has become ... Its appalling to think how many are out there struggling to Look after and care for loved ones and having all This red tape to deal with on top of all the pressure theyre already under....we all Have different situations which we have to deal with but some people on this are really desperate and surely somthing should be done in these cases .Shame on this government and the last one to allow this to happen in the first place and then to
    allow it to continue 

Hi Linda Dub

Like yourself I read the whole thread last night and I totally agree with you. It is an absolute disgrace. The waiting time is totally unacceptable but unfortunately nothing we can do about it. My original application for Carer's Allowance in July 2010 got a quick response. I was turned down straight away and appealed the decision in Sept 2010 and this is ongoing at the moment. My appeal was disallowed in Nov 2011 but I got it reopened because I will fight it all the way. I looked after my mother in law. My sister in law was her previous carer for 5 years but had to give it up so I took over. So their issue was with me doing the caring and not that she needed a carer. I have been made to feel constantly by the Social Welfare that I have been trying to cheat the system. What a pity someone didn't spend a few hours with me just to see how much I actually did and the amount of hours I put in. Caring is a very tough job and I have the utmost respect for anyone who does this work. What a pity this is not recognised by the Social Welfare System. My mother in law had a fear of having to go into a home and passed away just 4 weeks after the decision. Her last words to me were that "she told me she wouldn't stay if I didn't get the allowance". After the decision she just seemed to give up on life altogether and even her doctor said that this time she didn't want to fight to stay. She became resigned to the fact that it was time to go !!! I will continue to fight their decision until I get the outcome I deserve. After all no one would expect a Social Welfare employee to work 50 to 60 hours a week without pay !!! I think we should all print this thread on a weekly basis and send it in to the carer's section, the appeals section and to Joan Burton herself. I am sure if everyone on this forum sent all these threads along with a letter every week with their pps no they would soon get sick of it. Actually its worth spending 5 euro a week on registered post just to make sure they get it. Ah well just a thought among a lot of thoughts of things I would like to do :mad:

That's the thing :mad: I didn't get any written notification that they had received my application, I applied at the end of September and hadn't heard anything by the end of October so I phoned and was then told that my application was received on Sept 30th. The guy I spoke to said that I should have received notification by text if I had given a mobile number (I had given a mobile number but hadn't received notification). I guess I should have asked him for a reference number but didn't think to.

The main reason for my lack of funds is that I had to move house and am renting a house next door to my parents in order look after them. My own house is on the market at the moment but of course not selling, not even any interest in it so I'm paying a mortgage and renting at the same time.

I was told that time that I definately wouldn't have a decision before Christmas and that it would most likely be the end of February, so I was hopeful until I discovered this thread!! Since the end of March I've been checking the postbox every morning.

Maybe I should ring them up and get a reference number to bring to the CWO? I did photocopy everything I sent in. My husband is in full time employment but is on very low pay and he also gets FIS. We have 3 children.

Hi Aileach

Just wanted to let you know that like yourself my husband works full time on a low wage and I also have 3 children. The lack of funds is a huge problem but I went to the bank today and am now going on an interest only mortgage for 12 months. This just gives me a little bit of breathing space and has halved my mortgage payments and I am still paying something. Otherwise, we were in danger of falling into a lot of arrears. I am already in arrears but not by too much and needed to do something before it got out of hand.

Just letting you know this as it might be an option for you while you are waiting for a decision from the Carers. As you can see from others the waiting time is ridiculous and you still have to provide the full time care while you are waiting. Its not like you could find a job (you have a job, a stressful one) while you are waiting for them to give you some bit of information regarding your claim.

Anyway best of luck :rolleyes:

Hi there! Just an update on my situation...Finally after exactly a year I have been told that i have been passed to receive CA. :) Today is a good day! Mind you I havent received written confirmation of this, but following a call to longford, i was told i will be receiving payment for both my parents! Dont know exact date yet or how long, or even if, i will get it backdated, but the lady i spoke to seemed optimistic that i would get it backdated to at least the last date i sent in additional medical information! Its been a long struggle, but hopefully in next few months i will have paid bills & loans which are currently outstanding! and I will be able to look guilft-free at my kind friends who lent me money over last few months!
    Hope more of you get good news this week!

• Advertisement

Thats great news to hear at least you finally got a decision and not before time ... Unbelivable a whole year waiting! Im sure you will get it all backdated and you can sort everything out ... Great to hear a bit good news here for a change .... Its well deserved, its not an easy job to do physically or mentally at least your getting your entitlements now :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement