Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne 3 vs Mass Effect 3

• 18-02-2012 7:58pm

These games are coming out fairly close to each other - both are continuations of games I have absolutely adored, though Max Payne pretty much edges forward somewhat. Which should I buy above the other, as it's unlikely I'll be able to afford both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Buy Mass Effect 3 for it's longevity and value for money.

Rent Max Payne 3 and finish it in (I assume) 8-12 hours over the course of a dual-wielding ass-kicking week. If you really love it, then buy it cheaply in 6 months and play through it again.

That's my plan anyway.

• Good plan. When I think about it, I've invested a lot more time into ME than any other game. Played #1 first, then replayed it to see what changes. When #2 came out, I played it through first, then a second time to see what changed, then I went back to play #1 again, imported my character into #2 and played that, to see what changed.

My plan is to buy #3, play it by itself first, then a second time to do things slightly different, before importing the character I've had since #1 into it.

Having said all that, Max Payne has always had a fond place in my heart, as it was always a standout game in terms of gameplay and design - though it seems #3 has abandoned the graphical novel/film noir-style approach and seems to have adopted more of a GTA-style vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Same. I would get ME3 first, then everything else.

By the time you will be finished with ME3, max Payne will be on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Max Payne has been put back till the 18th of May anyway so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• EGriff wrote: »
    Max Payne has been put back till the 18th of May anyway so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Oh really? I didn't hear about that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Just finished the demo of ME3, it's so short!!! Looks good, except the ridiculous recoil on the pistol, headache inducing!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Cant wait for the return of Max! There's been a lot of criticism leveled at the game, that its lost its noir feel and looks like a generic shooter. I couldn't disagree more. Anyone's who has seen some of the design and technology videos will have to get their pulse checked if their jaw didn't drop at the new combat system. Incredibly visceral. Sao Paulo should be a perfect setting for the series, what with some of the grim areas in the city.

Pretty meh about ME 3. Disliked the 1st one, did enjoy the 2nd but the more of an action game its becoming, and not a role player, the less interest I have. I'm sure it'll get the standard 90%+ across the board no matter what though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Cant wait for the return of Max! There's been a lot of criticism leveled at the game, that its lost its noir feel and looks like a generic shooter. I couldn't disagree more. Anyone's who has seen some of the design and technology videos will have to get their pulse checked if their jaw didn't drop at the new combat system. Incredibly visceral. Sao Paulo should be a perfect setting for the series, what with some of the grim areas in the city.

Pretty meh about ME 3. Disliked the 1st one, did enjoy the 2nd but the more of an action game its becoming, and not a role player, the less interest I have. I'm sure it'll get the standard 90%+ across the board no matter what though. :rolleyes:

I agree completely.

I've played Mass Effect 1 & Mass Effect 2 as soon as they came out, but never felt the urge to go back and try them again. And I do love a good western RPG.

That said, I recall playing Max Payne 2 twice in a row in order to see the alternate ending as soon as possible.

Max Payne 3 might look different to Max Payne 1, but I don't think Mass Effect 3 sticks to Mass Effect 1 that closely either!
    Seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Buy Mass Effect 3, take your time with everything, complete all the side missions, and before you know it Max Payne 3 is going for buttons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Max Payne 3? Seriously, the memories of the last edition are pretty poor and mostly of loading screens, seeing as I had the Xbox version of Max Payne 2.
    Mass Effect 3 looks much better, and judging by the amount of fun I had with Mass Effect 2, I reckon the decision is made!

• Advertisement
Advertisement