Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Polo Processor error - costly!!

• 12-02-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

VW polo 04
    CODE: P0606 ECM/PCM Processor.
    CODE: P0342 Camshaft sensor needs replacing.

Garage reckons it needs a new computer (i.e. a new ECU) and the cost of the part is 600ish and with labour and the camshaft sensor and 2 other minor jobs I am being quoted 1150 euro which I think is mad money.

The car did cut out the last day and I needed a tow. However it seems to be running now (but obviously problem still exists).

Bit worried about taking the car outta the garage incase it is dangerous to do so but I suspect it would just break down again at the very worst.

Wondering if anyone here has an knowledge or opinion or even experience on the above.

The VW bloke seemed happier telling me the mounting figures as my face was about to eat itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Google says:
    1) Erase the fault and hope it doesn't come back. It probably set that fault due to your battery voltage being low or disconnected.

2) Disconnect both battery cables and touch the two cables together for approximatley 2 minutes. Then erase any faults and hope it doesn't come back.

3) If both of the above fail and the fault still comes back then your ECM is going to need replacement.

"It's safe. It is called a capacitive discharge. VW Tech support actually recommends doing it in certain cases, if that makes you feel any better."

Where did you get the error codes, they appear to be OBDII type codes, not VAG specific codes? Check ECU and wiring harness area for dampness or bad grounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

The error codes were given to me by the breakdown guy so I could give to the garage. He thought it was the coils initially til he ran the puter on it and then he told me probably a good idea to get it checked out at a dealer. I didnt get any battery lights warning altall so I am guessing its not related to the battery.

The dealer told me that they would check things themselves and when I was there I saw it was the same code for the processor P0606 on the report he had.

I had done a long journey (3 hours) and was coming to the end of it when the power went on the car and the EPC flashed each time it happened (it happened around three times before dying). By the time the breakdown guy got the car back to my gaff it was able to start again no problem. I decided to get it towed to the garage as the breakdown guy said he would do that for me.

TBH I just dont throw around cash that easy (anyhow) so I decided to look at all options

Battery warning light? Lol, Ive never seen one and seen plenty of dead and dying batteries.
    Is the battery itself the original? After 6 years I would hope not..
    Try my and the other suggestions as above.

Also, a VCDS (aka VagCom, google it) would give you a much more useful and specific error to help troubleshoot.

I will check out VAG links, thanks for that

Basically I will take the car back from the garage. My feeling is that there may well be a problem with the PCM. I have no reason to think a dealer would say there was a problem there without there being one, the car did break down. However I am just overwhelmed at the price 600 euro for the part and with a replacement sensor a cost of over 1k. Surely these could be picked up for 2-3 hundred online and get a mechanic to install and test. I was ok if the repairs cost a few hundred but over a grand is what is annoying me. I feel I am being ripped off

dodgyme wrote: »
    I will check out VAG links, thanks for that

Basically I will take the car back from the garage. My feeling is that there may well be a problem with the PCM. I have no reason to think a dealer would say there was a problem there without there being one, the car did break down. However I am just overwhelmed at the price 600 euro for the part and with a replacement sensor a cost of over 1k. Surely these could be picked up for 2-3 hundred online and get a mechanic to install and test. I was ok if the repairs cost a few hundred but over a grand is what is annoying me. I feel I am being ripped off

What are you basing your expectations on?
    I dont think EUR600 for an ECU (which like has to be coded to your keys) is expensive. In fact, its not.

Here are the replacement prices for my car:
    Basic control unit DME DME1.7 $1,035.0 (unit 1)
    Basic control unit DME DME1.7 $1,035.0 (unit 2)
    AT-Control unit EML $1,911.94

Total: $3992 plus VAT and no doubt more in Euro, EUR4500 maybe? Parts only.

A somewhat more modern ECU for a low end BMW (2006 116i) is €748 plus VAT, so the guts of a grand without labour, recoding etc.
    Go look up if you need recoding for the ECU or not then you can determine getting one from a Breaker Yard and getting it installed (which is likely a very easy thing to do).

I would be ruling out other issues first and definitely wouldn't take VWs word for it, its SOP to replace parts first, troubleshoot later if that doesnt "fix" the problem.

PS: Camshaft sensors are usually around EUR30 price wise, could be labour intensive to install however.

• Advertisement

Thanks Matt.

From looking on auto part sites most of the ECU are between 2-300 euro. Also alot of forums seems to say that VW dealers throw parts at most of these issues at the expense of the owner and that problems are generally something like a brake light switch but the dealer will recommend an ecu replaement. One guy gave the example that if your on/off button was broken on the telly would you throw out the whole telly or find out what is the problem first. VW just said to me you need a new ecu without any proper explanation. I also found a place online that looks at ecu specifically and might drive it there as long as it doesnt break down on the way.

Well I decided to take the car back from the VW dealer who charged me 120 euros for doing very little.

It has been running fine since. I might take it to a place I found on the net that looks specifically after electronic problems on cars when I get a chance. However I have also heard that sometimes with some moisture the ecu can mess up and cause loss of power etc and once resolved it should be fine. i.e. there can be ad hoc problems with ecus. Anyhow knocking out nearly a grand was just too much. Just thought I would update.

Advertisement