Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltachts

• 10-04-2006 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Currently in 5th year and lookin for a good gaeltacht...i know im leavin it fairly late but does anyone know a good one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Coláiste Lurgan. they're strict and you'll come out of it with very good irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

colasite yeosaimh-youll learn loads and really enjoy yourself there.
    do not go to colaiste phiarsaigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

Hi, i went to colaiste Chiarian in Donegal last year, had a great time, and learnt more irish than i thought i did!!! Its on the very northern coast of Donegal. Its not very strict, just make a bit of an effort ta speak irish and you'l be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

If it's anything like it was four years ago when I went, don't go to Coláiste Columba in an Cheathrú Rua in Galway. To be fair, I had fun and learned some Irish, but by comparison it was a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Azureus wrote:
    do not go to colaiste phiarsaigh.
    Coláiste Phiarsaigh is great, not for Irish though. When I went there I didnt speak a word of Irish. I just had the best time ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

In my opinion, Coláiste Chiarain in Cheathrú Rua in Galway is brilliant. I learned loads there and had a cracking time. It's a really good college with good facilities and beaches near by. You'll be guaranteed to have a good time there. There are another two colaistes in Cheathrú Rua but be sure to go to COLAISTE CHIARAIN - it's the best in the west!

Go n-eirí leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Muiriosa wrote:
    In my opinion, Coláiste Chiarain in Cheathrú Rua in Galway is brilliant. I learned loads there and had a cracking time. It's a really good college with good facilities and beaches near by. You'll be guaranteed to have a good time there. There are another two colaistes in Cheathrú Rua but be sure to go to COLAISTE CHIARAIN - it's the best in the west!

Go n-eirí leat!
    I went there last summer, it was brilliant. The best three weeks ever, i wish i could go back. I learned a bit too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Slurms wrote:
    Coláiste Lurgan. they're strict and you'll come out of it with very good irish.
    Ah yes, my old alma mater. If you ever hear them going mad about hash or drugs I'd like to say that it was my house (not me personally) that was the cause of all that kerfuffle. Was there 3 times, a cinnire the last time. Definitely gave me good Irish that sticks with me to this day. Recently went and got my gold fáinne there in college. Didn't help me in the leaving cert though. (Now maybe I'm dyslexic in irish or something but) I only got a B2 in pass irish and I'd say that was mostly on the strength of my oral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

i was thinking about going to colaiste phiarsaigh,but frm wat yas are saying it doesnt sound too great!!i want to have a laugh butid be willing to put in an effort too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I went to Coláiste Laichtín Naofa in 2nd year, didnt learn much as I knew more than the 4th Years did in the ole' Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Any info on Colaiste Laichtin Naofa, Colaiste Chiarain, Colaiste na nOilean, Colaiste Isliomain all Conemara.
    Do they stream people into classes of similar abilities? My Irish is pretty good cos I went to a primary gaelscoil. Is it ok to go on my own? Noone from my school wants to go. It's my first time - any warnings or advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

You're looking for a Gaeltacht where people actually speak Irish every now and then? Stay away from An Rinn. Its a Shamtacht if ever I saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Ive been in Coláiste Sheosamh in Carna/Cill Chiarain 3 times and I learned SO much irish there and made a load of new friends. The teachers are brilliant as well and there is a load of craic at the ceilis!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Went to Colaiste Columba 4 years in a row, then again last summer...to be honest, overall it probably wasnt the best....i was lucky that i already had pretty good irish going....tho the craic was deadly, the teachers and the cinnera's are great fun....not very well organised tho, things got very repetitve after the 2nd week....i went going into 6th year and was the oldest in the college...not great from a man-hunt point of view, i would have got done had I touched any of the boys!!!

Loads of my friends went to Colaiste Lurgan last summer...they run a special course for people going into 6th year, so you're guarenteed that you're with people your age and they wont spend the time learning about "mé féin"...they focus on exam stuff instead...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any info on Colaiste Laichtin Naofa, Colaiste Chiarain, Colaiste na nOilean, Colaiste Isliomain all Conemara.
    Do they stream people into classes of similar abilities? My Irish is pretty good cos I went to a primary gaelscoil. Is it ok to go on my own? Noone from my school wants to go. It's my first time - any warnings or advice?

I went to Coláiste Laichtín Naofa four times, so I am obviously a fan of the place! Inis Oírr is an unbelievable island, especially when the weather is good. They're fairly strict on the Irish speaking side of things, but any effort on the part of the student to speak Irish is well appreciated. They rarely expel anyone, and when they do it's for behaviour problems and not for speaking English.

I went there on my own the 3rd time (after going with my brother and friends the previous 2) and it was probably my best experience overall. The classes are divided by year groups (1st, 2nd, etc) of mixed ability but the teachers make everyone participate.

I could keep talking about how great it is for hours, but I just remembered it's been fully booked since January... (my sister got accepted though! :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

An Fhile wrote:

I could keep talking about how great it is for hours, but I just remembered it's been fully booked since January... (my sister got accepted though! :) )

Finally, a female that ISN'T a slut is accepted. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

seeing as i started this about this time last yeari may aswell post

i went to corca duibhne(near dingle) last year...tbh it was a bit strict and at the same time i didnt learn too much irish but it was still a class 3 weeks, it was all lc students which made it better...alot of walking though and the sports were a bit of a joke we still made the most of it...even if all the fun we had happened to be outside the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

yeah loads of people when i went were on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thanks everyone I feel a bit better about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Steve01 wrote:
    You're looking for a Gaeltacht where people actually speak Irish every now and then? Stay away from An Rinn. Its a Shamtacht if ever I saw one.

lol, Shamtacht it may be, but its the Greatest Gaeltacht Ever in my books :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

ooh go to spleodar! i coudlnt speak like a word of irish before i went and i was back as a cinnire for the whole summer last year and i got my fáinne óir too! and they have leaving cert classes and everyone's streamed by year for the classes. its actually brilliant! they're pretty strict on irish but if ya actually make the effort its the best craic ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

md99 wrote:
    lol, Shamtacht it may be, but its the Greatest Gaeltacht Ever in my books :D

Actually yeah. Mooneys alone compensates for the lack of the Irish language :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

go to colaiste cholmcille in min a chladaigh. the best gaeltacht in ireland great craic( its in donegal ). its a bit expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Coláiste na Rosann, Donegal....absolutely deadly, except not strict at all, but the bean an ti was lovely, lovely house, cool activities, and no cinnire in the house. Didn't learn much.

Colaiste Spleodar Corr na Móna, so so so strict, 2 cinnires in my house, which was 4 miles from the coláiste..sometimes had to walk that. 10 people sent home for speaking english/having a phone..weren't allowed close the doors in case we spoke english behind them, I got two warnings from the really angry head person, for being half asleep some mornings and saying 'tabhair dom an milk as an fridge' by accident. Ugh! Bean an ti was awful too. But I learned so much, really fast.

So yeah, you'll have a terrible time in a spleodar one, but you'll learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Colaiste Spleodar Corr na Móna, so so so strict, 2 cinnires in my house, which was 4 miles from the coláiste..sometimes had to walk that. 10 people sent home for speaking english/having a phone..weren't allowed close the doors in case we spoke english behind them, I got two warnings from the really angry head person, for being half asleep some mornings and saying 'tabhair dom an milk as an fridge' by accident. Ugh! Bean an ti was awful too. But I learned so much, really fast.

So yeah, you'll have a terrible time in a spleodar one, but you'll learn!

really?? christ! i was in spleodar like 5 times and about 2 people got sent home and they were like speaking english and gettin high on aerosols! sounds like you just had mad cinniri... just dont go to corr na mona! camus and leitir meallain are for bigger people altho camus is like swarming with flies all the time... you'll learn LOADS in spleodar tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

Go to Colaiste Chiaran in Carraroe....best craic ever n u learn a gud bit of irish al d same........ plus its in a little town n not on the side of d road which actually helps to maintain ur sanity!! I'v bn 3 times n it actually gets btr!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭chancer12

Does anyone have any opinions on Eachleim in Mayo? Seems to be only college with free places for June, anyone know if there is a reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Coláiste Phiarsaigh is great, not for Irish though. When I went there I didnt speak a word of Irish. I just had the best time ever.
    Same as meself:D:D 3 Week Holiday Camp, didn't learn a word of Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

i went to Colaiste na Rosann in Anagaire in Donegal and its great. The thing i loved about it was that its in the villiage of anagaire and you can just walk to the shops and all the locals speak irish ad you really feel like you're in the gaeltacht. Also- the best thing ever- there was a chipper in the town (my Bean an Tí's cooking wasn't very good). They even spoke Gaeilge in the chipper!

The Colaiste is pretty good aswell-they brought us on loads of trips,which was cool beacuse friends of mine spent a lot of their time in other gaeltachts just playing football or volleyball all day. We used to go to the beach and go into Dungloe (nearest big town) and we went to Aranmore and climbed Mt Erigal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

any of the Galway ones

Advertisement