Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

revenue.ie. claiming back rent tax credit

• 15-01-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

On the revenue.ie self serivce site i am entering details of my rent so i can get the tax relif.

on the site it asks the question:

Amount of Rent Payable in the tax year

I moved into my house in June 2008.

do i write the total rent i would pay over 12 months, the full tax year, or just the figure ive paid since june 2008?

note they also ask when i started tenancy of the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭Tefral

fguihen wrote: »
    On the revenue.ie self serivce site i am entering details of my rent so i can get the tax relif.

on the site it asks the question:

Amount of Rent Payable in the tax year

I moved into my house in June 2008.

do i write the total rent i would pay over 12 months, the full tax year, or just the figure ive paid since june 2008?

note they also ask when i started tenancy of the house.

On the form you should fill in from june 2008 to dec 2008 and your monthly rent.

Then for 2009 you get a new form and fill in this years one. I rang about this recently and thats what i was instructed to do

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The tax year and the calendar year are now synchronised.
    Its the total amount you paid in the calendar year- irrespective of when you moved in- i.e. if you were there from June- its 7 months to the end of December- and its those 7 months that are counted- fullstop.

Ps- the rent relief is capped @ 330 Euro per annum (irrespective of how much rent you pay......)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

cool, as it asked me for the date i moved into the property, and then the amount for the callendar year, i assumed it wanted to know what the yearly rent would come to, and it could calculate how much rent i paid. good thing i asked. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

smccarrick wrote: »
    The tax year and the calendar year are now synchronised.
    Its the total amount you paid in the calendar year- irrespective of when you moved in- i.e. if you were there from June- its 7 months to the end of December- and its those 7 months that are counted- fullstop.

Ps- the rent relief is capped @ 330 Euro per annum (irrespective of how much rent you pay......)

I got 340€ for 2007 and 400€ for 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

hi just wondering does handing up some of your wages to parent every week entitle you to rent tax relief?
    or do the parents have to be registered for the rent a room scheme for the claim to be eligible for tax relief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

sadista ... if its just you giving your parents a few bob for upkeep etc
    no u cant claim the rent tax credit .....

if its specifically for rent u can ....as long as your parents are declaring rental income and paying tax on it .....which i will guess in this case they are not ....
    (note :they would not be entitled to rent a room scheme exemption)

smccarrick is correct in the application but not the amount (a rare error!!;) )

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    smccarrick is correct in the application but not the amount (a rare error!!;) )
    I thought they dropped the amount you can claim for the '09 tax year? Back to about 330 as said.

Advertisement