Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pound stole my dogs

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Really couldn't read past the first page. Some real dickheads on this forum.

Hope you get some justice OP.
    It's after hours, what were you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The fine is severe!

They were lifted as stray, nobody was in control of them - it must be an ongoing problem there. You had such little control of them you didn't even notice them missing until they were lifted. Shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

IPAM wrote: »
    IMO no dog poses zero risk to children no matter how small/big/friendly etc.

Hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Really couldn't read past the first page. Some real dickheads on this forum.

Hope you get some justice OP.

To be fair, he got the justice he deserves, dogs unmanaged and he didn't even notice them gone. Shamefull!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

stimpson wrote: »
    Bzzzt. Wrong again.

Did you read that? There is no requirement to have the dog on a lead if you have it under vocal control. The OP clearly didn't have it under the latter as if he did the warden wouldn't have been able to take the dogs without him noticing but dogs clearly do not have to be on a lead.

• Advertisement

The fine is severe!

They were lifted as stray, nobody was in control of them - it must be an ongoing problem there. You had such little control of them you didn't even notice them missing until they were lifted. Shocking!

That's not the fine though. The OP should have been charged a €25.40 reclaim fee and also possibly a €30/60 fine. That's a max of €85.40. The warden seems to have been planning to pocket the other €164.60 as there is absolutely no official reason for him to demand that money. And that is the more serious issue on this thread. The OP didn't look after his dogs properly, they were taken and he should have been fined the correct amount. A public official abusing his position to steal from the public is a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

iguana wrote: »
    Did you read that? There is no requirement to have the dog on a lead if you have it under vocal control. The OP clearly didn't have it under the latter as if he did the warden wouldn't have been able to take the dogs without him noticing but dogs clearly do not have to be on a lead.

You said that there was no similar law in Fingal. Clearly there is.

I'm glad to see the wardens doing their job. I hope the OP learns his lesson.

You said that there was no similar law in Fingal. Clearly there is.

No time specific law which is what you claimed applied.

Here's the full list of fines at Ashton:

http://www.dublincity.ie/Community/AnimalWelfare/pages/dogcontrol.aspx

Fees/Fines for reclaiming your dog back from the pound
    Pound reclaim fee: €20
    Bed and board: €8 per night
    Licence fee (if unable to produce current licence): €20.00
    Fine: Failure to produce current licence: €30
    Fine: Failure to keep your dog under effectual control: €30
    Fine: No collar and ID: €30

Easy to get close to €250 if he had no collar and ID and unable to produce a licence.

iguana wrote: »
    No time specific law which is what you claimed applied.

:rolleyes:

And effectual control of the dog, which is obviously why his dogs were taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Auburn1

To lose one dog is careless but to lose two beggars belief. To be honest I wouldn't have believed it was possible. I'm sure you'll find the bylaws support the actions of the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Not only are you going to have to pay that €250 fine but also expect another fine for your dog 'not having a name tag' like they said to us and tried to charge us €80, on the way out after dashing out a huge sum of money I notice a worker holding his 'non existent' collar in their hand trying to hide it. Also enjoy getting your dogs back with Kennell cough like I did :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

notsobusy wrote: »
    Eh 250???!! Doesn't sound right. Had to get my OH's terrier out of the pound in Louth a few months ago and he didn't have a license. Got the license 12.50 and 40euro for getting the dog out and that's all he paid as far as I remember.
    https://www.anpost.ie/anpost/maincontent/personal+customers/more+from+an+post/dog+licence/
    how did you get a €20 license for €12.50 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

That's a fecking joke! I used to take my King Charles for walks in my local walkway off the lead, she'd just run up a little bit, might sniff something behind me for a while, I might sit down and have a chat with whoever I'm walking with and let her run around for a bit, she'd harm NO ONE and cause no trouble, and this could just as easily have happened to me.

This is probably some agenda the pound have to get some money in.

Hope you get your dogs back from those pricks.

And effectual control of the dog, which is obviously why his dogs were taken.

Yes I said that.

You were wrong about your claim that the dog should have been on a lead. There is no such blanket law in this country. And you were most likely wrong that there was time restrictions which you claimed as fact. Eye roll smilies don't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Dey tuk our jaawwbbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    Was in jogging in the park today with my 2 small dogs. Whe I noticed they were not beside me I went back through the park but couldnt find them. I evetually called the Ashtown pound a sure eough they had them in the van ad had not even been to the pound yet.
    I have licenses for them but they refuse to return my dogs with withouth me paying 250 euro. So I refused to leave until they gave my dogs back ad I called the gards to see if they could help. Gardai came down as said it wasn't a polce matter and that I was trespassing and had to leave.
    I am on the social and have no way of paying this fee :mad:

I called several papers ad am waiting to hear back to see if they'll take this story. I cant believe the pound can get away with this.

F*cking dog napping scumbags have them locked up in tiny cages and are charging me 8 euro a night to keep them !!!

You should have advised the guards that it was a civil matter and you did not us any force to enter the property you were on and you were a squatter............................................................................................................................and then squatted and had a **** in one of the guards hats, cause thats what the internet says and stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Eh 250???!! Doesn't sound right. Had to get my OH's terrier out of the pound in Louth a few months ago and he didn't have a license. Got the license 12.50 and 40euro for getting the dog out and that's all he paid as far as I remember.
    https://www.anpost.ie/anpost/maincontent/personal+customers/more+from+an+post/dog+licence/
    how did you get a €20 license for €12.50 :confused:

I just checked the license and when i paid online last year it was only 12.50 must have gone up since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    F*cking dog napping scumbags have them locked up in tiny cages and are charging me 8 euro a night to keep them !!!

Don't worry about it Daithi, I'm going to spin down to Ashtown pound on Saturday and adopt them for myself :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I just checked the license and when i paid online last year it was only 12.50 must have gone up since then.
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Heard a similar story to this before...except it involved a baby...and a dingo.

Next time keep your dogs on a lead, they obviously weren't under your control if you didn't even notice them being lifted.

They somehow got off the lead.

Generally people bring dogs out for a walk, not a jog, hence the OP's "problem". Dogs need your full attention when walking them, never mind jogging them.

What sort of moron jogs a dog! The dog would win, hence why you walk them.

Yep, its a piss take but nothing would surprise me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

OP,try the Animal & Pet Issues forum.

Good Luck.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement