Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Omega28

ok I get ya

I'm finding it hard to do a complete mix without mistakes, I can mix a few tracks together but then I make a mistake and kinda loose the head a bit because its frustrating!

Any tips/ advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Keep practising. It takes years to be able to master it, and even then, you'll still make mistakes. Listening to live sets, from dj's who've been playing for years, has shown me that even the best still make mistakes. And tbh, nobody really cares too much when they do. Don't get stressed about it.

edit; have you checked out Ellaskins on youtube? He has videos which explain the different types of mix you could use. His channel really is quality.

ianuss wrote: »
    Keep practising. It takes years to be able to master it, and even then, you'll still make mistakes. Listening to live sets, from dj's who've been playing for years, has shown me that even the best still make mistakes. And tbh, nobody really cares too much when they do. Don't get stressed about it.

edit; have you checked out Ellaskins on youtube? He has videos which explain the different types of mix you could use. His channel really is quality.

Good to hear that even the pro's make mistakes!

Yeah I watch the ellaskins channels all the time, some great info!

Another question, U know club/bar djs? how do they mix the commerial/ top 40 music. I tried mixing them and there just wasn't enough time and too much going on during the outros, any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    Another question, U know club/bar djs? how do they mix the commerial/ top 40 music. I tried mixing them and there just wasn't enough time and too much going on during the outros, any tips?

It's a while since I was in a commercial club but from memory it's a rare pop DJ that does any mixing in the conventional sense. Most of it would be just quick cut mixes with no fading/blending. Once you have your next track beatmatched and cued up, pick a point near the end of the song playing (.ie the end of a phrase) and just whip the fader across at the same time as hitting play on the next track.

For the really lazy/inept guys, VirtualDJ and Traktor have "autopilot" settings where you can just load up a few hours of tracks and set the software to beatmatch them, synch them, and mix the last 5/10/15 seconds of one into the first X seconds of the next. Best for 3 or 4 minute chart stuff I imagine, rather than 10 minute epics with 2 minutes of intro and 3 minutes of outro.

milltown wrote: »
    It's a while since I was in a commercial club but from memory it's a rare pop DJ that does any mixing in the conventional sense. Most of it would be just quick cut mixes with no fading/blending. Once you have your next track beatmatched and cued up, pick a point near the end of the song playing (.ie the end of a phrase) and just whip the fader across at the same time as hitting play on the next track.

For the really lazy/inept guys, VirtualDJ and Traktor have "autopilot" settings where you can just load up a few hours of tracks and set the software to beatmatch them, synch them, and mix the last 5/10/15 seconds of one into the first X seconds of the next. Best for 3 or 4 minute chart stuff I imagine, rather than 10 minute epics with 2 minutes of intro and 3 minutes of outro.

I just couldn't beatmatch them , too much stuff going on!!!

is there anyone here offering lessons? or even just wanna meet up to help other guys out with DJ'ing so people can learn new tricks/tips off each other? I think this would be a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Mixing chart stuff would be the same as mixing any kind of hip-hop, reggae, and a lot of soul and funk, even easier, because chart doesn't have any live drummers.

If you wanted to do if properly, you could find an instrumental of the chart track, mix that in normally, and then bring in the original version of it. Basically making an extended version of it. Or mix it like hip-hop, quick cuts and looping (assuming you're not using vinyl). Every track will have at least 16 bars at the start that's mixable, either an instrumental intro, or an acapella at the start or a drum intro. Songs rarely start straight off with nothing mixable.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Want to get into DJing but I dont know where to even start, any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Bonesy. wrote: »
    Want to get into DJing but I dont know where to even start, any tips?

You could start off fairly quickly by getting some free software like VirtualDJ Home Edition, Serato DJ Intro, Mixxx or the free trial of Traktor.
    Whatever you use, you can find tutorials on YouTube, and learn to get an ear for tracks and mixing yourself.

Of course, if you want to go down more traditional routes, you'll need equipment like a mixer and turntables or CDJs. And you're probably going to want a controller if you're doing digital stuff anyway, just to be able to use a Cue channel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

I'm trying to get into Dj'ing and I'm looking for advise on how to break into the scene. I already know how to DJ (although I admit I'm not the best) digitally using a laptop but what I need to know if how to move it from the bedroom to the club. I'm into DJing bass music like dubstep but it seems the scene round here in dublin is small enough with already recognized DJs and clubnights.

I'm thinking of making the investment of buying a controller (something like Traktor S4 or a cheaper alternative) and looking for gigs but where should I start?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mrSelfDestruct

Hatred wrote: »
    I'm trying to get into Dj'ing and I'm looking for advise on how to break into the scene. I already know how to DJ (although I admit I'm not the best) digitally using a laptop but what I need to know if how to move it from the bedroom to the club. I'm into DJing bass music like dubstep but it seems the scene round here in dublin is small enough with already recognized DJs and clubnights.

I'm thinking of making the investment of buying a controller (something like Traktor S4 or a cheaper alternative) and looking for gigs but where should I start?

You gotta be good. Dj's are making it through their music. Get into production. It's gotta come from the heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mrSelfDestruct

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    ok I get ya

I'm finding it hard to do a complete mix without mistakes, I can mix a few tracks together but then I make a mistake and kinda loose the head a bit because its frustrating!

Any tips/ advice?

I have a radio show here in Galway that I do 'scratch' mixes for. Scratch style mixing is harder to get right. I usually record the mix into a DAW (I use pro tools) and if I mess up I re-take the mix and splice it together again afterwards.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GarFromEire

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me out here. I've been wanting to get into making (electronic) music a lot lately, however, I currently do not own any equipment to do so. I'm looking for advice on what I need/don't need to make the music I'd like to make.

I come from a piano/guitar/synth background but I really want to start to get into making music via DAWs and the likes. I've been looking at a lot of midi-keyboard controllers and I think I lot of them do the job of several pieces of equipment in one. I know how to use a midi-keyboard fairly well but after that I haven't a clue as to what I should get.

The kind of music I'd like to make is stuff like deep house, nujazz, minimal etc.. Is there some essential pieces of electronic equipment I need to do so?

Realistically my budget is about E1000. With that I'm hoping to get at least a decent midi-keyboard and a pair of monitor speakers. After that what do you think I should look at buying? I really want to do a lot of sampling as well, taking stuff off vinyl and that - what equipment do you need to do that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me out here. I've been wanting to get into making (electronic) music a lot lately, however, I currently do not own any equipment to do so. I'm looking for advice on what I need/don't need to make the music I'd like to make.

I come from a piano/guitar/synth background but I really want to start to get into making music via DAWs and the likes. I've been looking at a lot of midi-keyboard controllers and I think I lot of them do the job of several pieces of equipment in one. I know how to use a midi-keyboard fairly well but after that I haven't a clue as to what I should get.

The kind of music I'd like to make is stuff like deep house, nujazz, minimal etc.. Is there some essential pieces of electronic equipment I need to do so?

Realistically my budget is about E1000. With that I'm hoping to get at least a decent midi-keyboard and a pair of monitor speakers. After that what do you think I should look at buying? I really want to do a lot of sampling as well, taking stuff off vinyl and that - what equipment do you need to do that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Midi Keyboard hmm, If you want to make house music and get into synthesis I would buy a Roland Juno 60 or Juno 106 from ebay, set you back about EUR400. They are a classic 80's synth as used by everyone from Larry Heard to Carl Craig etc. If you get a 106 it has midi connection so it can act as your midi keyboard as well. The 60 is a slightly fuller sound and has the arpeggiator so it is my preference but it hasn't got midi so look for one that has been modded or you can buy the mod kit from Kenton http://www.kentonuk.com/.

I'm presuming you have a computer or laptop of some sort. Next thing you will need is an audio interface. If you are using Mac I strongly recommend Apogee, check out the Apogee Duet http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet2.php . The apogee sounds great and have great quality components for doing ad/da (digital-analog) conversion.

DAW wise, Ableton. Its extremely easy to get into and very creative, much more so than Logic or Pro Tools which I use also. I've never used Reason but worth looking at that too.

Monitor speakers, well thats a matter of preference. On a tight budget with something vibey KRK Rokit 6 are nice. http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-6.html. They have exaggerated low-end so can be nice to produce house/electronic music on where the kick drum and bass are so important, however just be careful when your tracks are finished when mixing them that the bass will disappear a bit on other speakers etc. They are nice and cheap to get started though.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Hi all due to an unfortunate amount of spare time, I've been contemplating reinstalling reason etc... But was wondering where is the best place to free host stuff online, is soundcloud a good bet, all my old stuff is just noise ;) but wanna put it online as not to loose it..

Soundcloud really is the best, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Cheers i went with it, and through my stuff up..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 woozle

a couple of questions -
    Why even though they're downloaded as wav or a good bit rate are some tunes quieter than others? even if 2 tunes are downloaded wav from the same site, one is sometimes really quiet - is there a fix?
    If I want to download commercial cheesy pop chart stuff, where is the best place to go where I can get at least mp3 320kbps? Again the problem I get is even if I go to a good site, pay for the music, make sure it's good kbps, the track still is really quiet when I play it - like I've taken it from a cd album or something. Where's the best place to get good sound quality chart music?
    Thanks

http://download.cnet.com/MP3Gain/3000-2169_4-10367823.html?tag=mc_mcol;mc_feature_body

MP3Gain scans your files and normalises them so they're the same volume.

An uploader on a certain major torrent site uploads the UK Top 40 in 320kbps every week. It's easier than buying them, even if morally questionable. If there was a legal site that streamlined that so I could cover my requests, I'd be interested.

Cheers Colm, that was exactly what I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I've never been convinced by MP3gain. Seemed to do weird things to a few of my files when I tried it. And there was still quite a variation in how loud they sounded.

If you want chart/poppy stuff legally, there's really no need to go beyond iTunes unless you want/need .wav files. 256k AAC (as on iTunes) is >= 320k MP3. It's also cheaper than the likes of Beatport.

• Advertisement

If you use iTunes do you get the difference in volume between tracks? I use LegalSounds coz they're only a couple of US cents per track but there's a difference in volume even if your tunes are the same kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭i124Q

I've been djaying for 6 years now, have gotten gigs here and there as a mobile DJ. Did residency in a couple of pubs for a few months.

My gigs have pretty much dried up and I really want more gigs as I love doing it and the few bob is nice too of course.

Need advice please as there are no other jobs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Hey guys!! :)

I'm looking to get some lessons for Ableton. I'm not using a MIDI controller at the moment, more like painting in the keys. I only know the very basics and will pay for lessons but I'm not the richest. I've seen an ad on the Twisted Pepper front door for lessson and still haven't enquired. I know there are youtube tutorials but I find somebody showing helps me keep focused. Would love to know how to automate and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

Hey guys,

I wanna give mixing music a try, don't know too much about it and wanna just play around with my pc. Any handy software for something just looking to start with.

I used reason and Ejay stuff a good few years back, but don't remember much.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

Xios wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I wanna give mixing music a try, don't know too much about it and wanna just play around with my pc. Any handy software for something just looking to start with.

I used reason and Ejay stuff a good few years back, but don't remember much.

try virtual dj there is a home version that they give for free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Hi I am having problems with the sound coming from my 1210s since i bought this new mixer
    2hckhzr.jpg
    THe problem i am having is when i move the crossfader to channel 1 most(80%) of the sound just comes from the left speaker, but when I move the fader to channel 2 i get most of the sound from the right speaker

I did have the same problem too when I had the old mixer which was
    2itm0wh.jpg

But when i had the vestax mixer I just put the red wire in phono and the black wire in line(I no, doesnt make sense). I run the sound through my Technics hi-fi system but i really do not think that is the problem.I also had a problem with 1 deck but got that sorted a good few weeks before i bought the mixer

I am new to all this so i am not sure if i am doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Hi does anyone here use VDJ as Video DJ in Pubs clubs Etc.?

I do many pubs etc. But I have tried in vain in setting up multiple monitors for my Videos.

I can set up one monitor , excluding my pc, no problem. But what I really want to do is set up via vga to 2 monitors (tv's) in most pubs. I have all size vga cables up to 20 metre.

Have any of you guys solved this scenario.?

I have also tried wireless etc, which is useless (drop out).

Appreciate any replies.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Video over wireless, yeah, lol, no.

As long as your're not hauling a full desktop around with you, you pretty much cant do it unless you want to fork out about €1000 on a high end laptop. Most laptop GPUs simply cant support multiple externals, they arent engineered to as nobody would need it. some do eyefinity, but that would stretch the video over the two rather than having two separate displays like you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

hi guys just wondering if anyone know were you could get a x0xb0x or the orginal TB-303 seen a few on ebay but there going for big money.im new to Dj`ing and was looking to getting into it and electronic is favorite genre thanks for any help. Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ants Murray

Looking for some advice on the best light setup for a mobile DJ???

Advertisement