Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race report thread

• 05-05-2009 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this might be a runner. There are still a few who don't have logs but might want to share their race experience, so why not do it here and even if you have a log sometimes it might get missed so just copy and paste. I know Daithi ran yesterday and elliwallach. Just an idea.
    Post edited by RacoonQueen on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I just saw your thread after posting on the Belfast marathon thread. Here is a summary of my Belfast 09 marathon. Not as well writen as other reports around here but here you go:

What a feeling. Delighted to have finished my first marathon yesterday. I hope everyone else here had a good day and got what they had hoped out of it. Would be great to hear how others got on.

Weather wise, it wasn't the best day for it. Very cold and windy, especially that 16 - 18 mile stretch (I think) along the coast. No bother though, at least it didn't rain.

I thought it was very well organised and a big thumbs up for the Premier inn hotel that had plenty of marathoners staying. This morning at breakfast, it looked like an old folks home, the way people were walking. On the course there were plenty of water stations every 2 miles or so. Plastic cups but didn't have any issues. No problems with crowds and plenty of space. Not a hugh amount of people out cheering but those that were played a great part for me.

It was a hilly course but nice down hill stretches which was great. Super way to see Belfast and was well impressed. Filled the car with booze from sainsburys, probably not a good idea. Don't tell Peckham, my DCM mentor

About my race.
    I spent a lot of time the week before thinking about what pace to run. I planned to run 8 min 15s miles but from mile 0 to 22 I kept an average pace of 8mins. Just felt great and stuck to that. From 22 miles was when it started to hurt. Mile 24, I hit 'the wall'. I now know what that feels like. I felt sick, had to walk a few times because I though I'd be sick and I faded something terrible. Absolutly amazing support the last two miles. Crossed the line in 3hrs 40mins and 14sec. Didn't give a damn about my time the last few miles and its only now that I'm chuffed with it. The achievement really was in finishing and my time for me was a little bonus. The first thing I said to my girlfriend was 'never again'.

Can't wait for Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Quick synopsis:
    got up at 5:50am Sunday morning, collected (already awake) pink baby en route to kitchen and had a half-hearted bowl of porridge. Pink baby finished it off.
    Put her in front of TV (straight from page 5 of "How to be a Below Average Parent") and went to sort out my gear.
    Shock (& horror) awaited for me when I got to the boot of my car! Only 1 of my running shoes was to be found. I searched & searched in vain, thinking that it was just a matter of time before I found it. Maybe my wife hid it in a sneaky attempt to thwart my participation in the race. Not her style. Finally accepted that it was gone (must have fallen from my bag last Friday when leaving the changing room - and I know, my gear should have been sorted at least the day before...).
    I had an old pair of "runners" in the garage. These were suitable for indoor soccer, a game of tennis, even walking - almost a fashion item; I did wear them a couple of times when starting out on this running lark but paid the price (in the form of blisters). F**k it they would have to do - but it was going to be a painful 13.1 miles.
    Put Pinky baby into bed with wife and told wife of the potential disaster awaiting me - "but don't you have a pair (referring to the tennis shoes), it could be worse..."

Struck off for Bantry at 6:55am. All the while with thoughts of nothing else but my (real) missing runner. Contemplated wearing my one good shoe and one of the other pair. To be honest my worries weren't just about the possible ill-effects to my feet and legs, but (vainly) I was just as worried about what the other participants would think when they saw "yer man" with the tennis shoes "God love him".

Got to (beautiful) Bantry fo 7:50am and it was truly a fantastic morning. A fleet of buses was waiting to ferry us to the start line in Glengarriff. Organisation seemed top class. I was even approached by a physio, who told me where to go for post race rub. Off we went with me hiding my feet (or more appropriately. what was on them) unber the seat. The journey to Glengarriff was scenic but it was akin to an excutioner showing the Death Row inmate the poison he was going to be injected with. The "route analysis" on the website didn't mention all of these hills?

Start area was already milling with people when our bus got there. Collected Race pack and pinned on my number. Went to the loo, and then for a small warm-up run. Did I mention that it was a beautiful morning. Of course no one noticed my "runners", but I was checking out all footwear on show. There was a few lads from local GAA clubs wearing those black runners ("God love them"). No ill-effects from the small warm up run, but the 13.1 miles still had to be negotiated. Loaded our (provided) bags into a bus for ferrying to the Finish line.
    ANd then the starting formation began to assemble. Race finally got off at 9:05.

Ran in the direction of Kenmare firs and through Glengarriff park. Lovely. My gels weren't sitting well in pockets and as we were leaving the Park one of them fell out my pocket! I dashed back to get it. and held onto both until consumption time. After 1.5miles we swung around and headed for Bantry proper, back though the pictureesque Glengarriff and Hill No 1 and 3 mile marker. TFB described this hill as a drag in an earlier post - it was a 2.5 mile nasty uphill. Got to the top of this hill where a split timing mat was placed (5.3 miles?) I was joined my a girl at this stage and she told me we had 4 miles of downhill to follow. Great. We ran together for this and we gradually upped the pacefrom 8:00/mile to 7:50/mile to 7:40/mile. Glad to report that i was feeling no ill-effects fron my shoes. This girl (Mary) told me she was aiming for 1:45, and I recriprocated with 1:44. She then said she'd try and stick with me for the remainder of the race, which she did doggedly. Ifelt it only good manners to explain my footwear to her.

We hif hill after hill from mile 9 until mile 12. therse hills really were relentless, just when I thought this must be the last one, there was another one sprawled out in front of us. Dug in but the pace was suffering slightly.
    Just after mile 12 the descent into Bantry began in earnest. Mary edged ahead of me(!) but I tracked her all the way. We both knew at this stage that our target times were in the bag. I got level with her again, all the while passing other runners, I said we should go for it for the final 400m nad we sprint finished to the line. I has a little bit more in the tank but ther was nothing to be gained (bar 2 seconds off my time) by passing her on the line so we crossed the line in a chp time of 1:42.18.

Anew PB for me. Thanked Mary for the compand ans she likewise. Never ran with someone like this before and it sure had its benefits. Collected my medal and 2(!) T-shirts (long story), some sports drinks, a mars bar (as many as you needed (take note Ballycotton) and a bananna. Declined the massage and retired to the car and gingerly removed my "runners" blisters were numerous but bearable, but in all honesty I cannot say that I would have run any better with my other dedicated running shoes. But having said that, a trip to John Buckley's is in order.

Pleasedwith my time but on inspection of the total results, I noticed that two guys I beat in the UCC 10K got times of 1:33.xx.
    Took the gloss off my PBfrown.gif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Great report, I hope you wore black socks with your runners..fantastic excuse for a trip to buckleys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Nice thread....I'll look forward to a few good reports from the graded meets tonight.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Went and had a bash at the 1500m graded races at Irishtown, just for something different from running on tarmac and through mud. I don't know how many they normally get turning up at these meetings but there was plenty enough for full fields in each of the 4 mens categories of 1500m races.

Woddle had told me shortly before hand of a "top tip", which he'd been told by Racing Flat I believe, of not going off too fast at the start of the race in all the excitement and that it's better to wait until the final two laps before then starting to pick people off towards the finish as everyone else tires. So with that tactic fresh in mind at the start, I found myself level at the front of the pack within the first 100 meters and was then stuck there with everyone else breathing heavily down my neck. Then at two laps to go, exactly as predicted, I started getting overtaken. There was luckily only three who went past and scampering off into the distance though and a least I then didn't have any heavy breathing that I could hear over my shoulder for the next lap. I was too scared to risk a glance over the shoulder to see if anyone was there though so just kept plodding on as fast as I dared and hoping that I wasn't slowing too much over the next lap.

Then the bell came and around that point silverside, who we'd been chatting to before hand, went past me. I had no idea who else was potentially close behind so just tried my best to keep on going, but at least the wind was behind us along the back straight so I was just trying to see if I could save anything at all for the last hundred. Round the last bend, ready to try for a final kick, then I realise that were going back into the head wind again. I did somehow manage to find a little bit more from somewhere and manage to just pip silverside to the line and come in fourth. :D

The winners stopped the clock at 4:37, but I'd not bothered with using my own watch so not yet sure what time I got other than it was just under 5 minutes. It's been a very, very long time since I was doing any track races, but that was fun, I think.

I expect I'll be back to have a go at some more of them when I get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

my first graded meet (and first 1500 in many years, i was a road / hill runner previously)

was impressed by the turnout for all the mens and womens races, our race started more-or-less on schedule, it was a windy though mild day, the rain thankfully restricted itself to no more than a spatter until after we finished

was pacing this partly off my garmin, had thought i could do 4:55 and aimed for better, so started out fairly fast (with the leaders) and by the first 200 settled into 5:10 mile pacing, was glad to be in a group. Once the front pack broke away, I slowed slightly, think both I and robinph were steady for the last 700 , for me it was a struggle as my legs did not feel springy at all. tried to kick in the last lap but i was maxed out by then; tried to stick with robinph as he edged past but he was too strong.

all considered, 4:59 on a windy night was about what I could have expected, but am still slightly disappointed. I suppose my time was not helped by a weekend of mid-paced mountain orienteering ending on Monday - had I had 2 days off beforehand and maybe a freshener session, I reckon I could have shaved a couple of seconds better

anyway I chatted to a few club coaches (and of course robinph and woddle); I think with upping my mileage gradually and doing shorter reps a 4:40 is in reach, maybe next year - dont wanna take things too quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

silverside wrote: »
    anyway I chatted to a few club coaches (and of course robinph and woddle); I think with upping my mileage gradually and doing shorter reps a 4:40 is in reach, maybe next year - dont wanna take things too quickly.

Thats what I love about the sport. Talking crap and rubbish (most of the time) and times and results and performances and training with anyone who will listen, giving and taking advice, potentially helping your rivals and them helping you and all looking to the next race and the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Tingle wrote: »
    Thats what I love about the sport. Talking crap and rubbish (most of the time) and times and results and performances and training with anyone who will listen, giving and taking advice, potentially helping your rivals and them helping you and all looking to the next race and the next season.
    my only outlet for this type of sh*t talk is here , NO ONE else want to know ( OH thinks im obsessed , :o)so i dont even go there,

Eliwallach , great report , very funny :D

Seres wrote: »
    NO ONE else want to know ( OH thinks im obsessed , :o)so i dont even go there,

I hear ya brother......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Well where do i start with this one, still dont think i ve calmed down since after the race. This was my first ever race and i was so nervous and didnt know what to expect. Firstly id like to say thanks to Le Cheile AC for a lovely race, especially as they somehow managed to get the rain to stop just before the run started!! With it being my first race im no expert but this seemed well organised and very friendly.

Also want to say thanks to peckham (as my mentor) as he was the one who encouraged me to finally bite the bullet and sign up for a race. My god im glad i did!! cant wait for the next one already

Race Summary

Did a time of 19.40, although that not official yet but it was called out as i crossed the finish line. All i can say is its amazing what ADRENALIN can do, this was such an adrenalin rush. i ve run a 21:21 and a 20:54 in training so this smashed by training pb by 1 min 26seconds and abolutely annihilated by predicted time of 21:30 to 22 mins.

the km splits were:

3:49, 4:00, 3:59, 4:02, 3:50

The course to me seemed quite fast, i know there was discussion about this on the race thread but to me km 1.5 to 3.7 was flat or steady down hill, there was about 800m uphill after that, but overall you were going downhill to me for much longer and picking up time. i would highly recommend this course for a pb attempt. altho given people thought it was a little hilly in place and the wind affected the times negatively im very encouraged that i can go faster again. The 400m grass track at the end is obviously also slower but its a really nice touch as those who came to show support, such as my GF, could see us run for a bit and finish the race.

Pre Race

I drove down the M50 in a deluge and was wondering why i was such an idiot for dragging myself out of bed to run around in a circle to get drownded. Have to say when i arrived i was a complete nervous wreck, going to the bathroom every 5 mins and not having a clue what to expect. Thankfully the weather cleared up just before the race. Did a nice warm up and got into line already to go.

The Race Itself

Probably positioned myself a little too high up at the start, but just didnt wanna risk getting stuck behind people and i like to run hard from the start and hold on for such a short race.

The 1st km is a bit of a blur. I went bit too fast really, i just got caught up in the excitement. The first hill seemed like nothing - i barely remember it, only when i was driving home did i realise it was quite stiff. i actually spent the time running up it thinking fair play to he 2 lads at the top who were cheering on people. After half a km i checked the time on my forerunner - i remeber it saying something like 1:43 and i just thought holy **** im going way to fast and im going to pay for this later.

So i tried to steady myself and try find my correct position in the race. i stepped off the gas and just focused on running my own pace and race. The 1st km went by at 3:49 - i was still scared!! i usually run about 4:10 to 4:15 at best in training - in fact i had always found it really difficult to do under a 4min km unless it was my last one and i was giving it absoultely everything.

so for next few 2km i checked my watch at the half km mark, generally going through it too fast and then just easing back a bit thinking i might pay for this later and not to be stupid. kept teling myself 'you ve 3 more km to run dont be going nuts'. still i knew i was fairly flying.

having people in front of you and behind of you really helps. i kept a few people ahead within the same distance and just kept trying to hang on to them. actually that reminds me at the 2km mark this girl just breezed past me like i wasnt there. it was a bit of a shock the way she went past but i knew i had my own race to run. i never let her get out of my sights tho which really helped.

anyway i got to 3km and knew i was on to break my old training pb so i just kept going, trying not to think bout sub 20. i got to the bottom of the hill and there were few ahead i wanted to catch. the last km of my training route is a nice steady hill and i really feel this helped. i motored up the hill and went past a few people who were suffering and panting like mad. A good steady pace up them really helps. i was starting to hurt at this stage too. km 4 road marker came up and i spotted lidl and i knew i was nearly there and on for a sub 20.

i was determined not to miss out and decided to push on a bit. entering into the complex really helped and people cheering was great. i saw my gf and pushed on some more. about 300m out (too far) i upped the gears, i was in serious pain now and dying for the line. my spurt came to an end a good 100m short of the line and i coulnt wait for that line to come, i like collapsing at this stage. i actually wrongly stopped 10m in front of the line and had to get going again. (must remeber not to do that again - was pretty idiotic)

19:40 was called out, i stopped the forerunner few more seconds after at 19:47!! What a first race. loved it, cant believe i ran that much faster than training. like i said adrenalin is something else. for every km to be just bout at or under 4min per km pace, im truly amazed!! i havent stopped thinking bout the race since the minute i finished it. I loved every second of it!

I cant wait to race again!! I still havent come down of the ceiling, it might be a few days. honestly thought it would take me at least 6months to go sub 20. first of my big goals down!! hopefully this wasnt just a super fast course and a one off

roll on adamstown in 2 weeks, im hooked..........

Final Result: 19:40, 41st out of 151. not too bad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

Great thread idea. Could it be Stickied, or would that be too many stickies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Bulmers 10k Clonmel--Race Summary

never did a race in my home county before so it was going to be a first.saw on the local paper that it was marked in miles and not km's which i found strange but at least i knew beforehand.I didn't have much knowledge of the course so thought a pb was on the cards.Set off going fairly strong for me and the weather was nice for a change.Was hoping for a sub 4840 PB from Great Run.Was going about 8mins and no sign of a marker so thought they were missing and this threw me as i didn't know how i was going.But then the 2 marker appeared and was at 15:48 so not too bad (must have missed the first mile one).
    Then things started to happen :o----saw a sign on the side of the road "are you ready for the hill?"--as i train on the kyber in the park and actually like hills i thought bring it on.Started to go up it then and came around a corner and looked up and could most of those ahead almost stopped and some walking,more signs on the roadside saying "c'mon take off your brakes!". Passed a few who were dying and i wasn't much better and knew a pb was out the window and as i did not know what lay ahead was wondering would i even get around!!Eventually got to the top--seemed about .5 to .75miles but VERY steep and warm at this stage. Then coming back down there were signs saying "check your brakes" etc as we came down,one hairpin like bend was almost too hard to take.
    Got to 5k which was marked at 2500 exact by my watch so at least a sub 50 was on.The rest was flat enough and tried to stay with a couple (a Russian i discovered who ran 2'47" in Dublin last year but seemed to be coaching a girl beside him who may have been his wife from looking at the results later on) and came in just behind them in 48'57" on my watch so happy enough.
    Race Review
    Very enjoyable with about 350 taking part.Only 10eu to enter --bulmers race t-shirt,goody bag--water,apple,chocolate,crisps. 2 water stops and at finish and results up that night and accurate.Pictures to follow on a website.The hill kind of made it special as i never saw people of probably sub 50min standard walking after 2 miles!!(also the signs erected were funny)
    At 10euro it puts some other races in a different light in my mind and i will definitely do it again and would highly recommend this one.

Promised the OH that I wouldn't be racing on a Sunday again until the Cork City Marathon relay (although that is a Monday...), so when she asked me to paint (undercoat and satin finish) 3 doors on Saturday the bargaining began. Long story short - she agreed to the race no problem but they were all (she, me and the two babies) coming.
    Race was starting at 12:30 so we set off at 10:15 and made good time. The plan was to drop me in Villierstown and then for them to head into either Youghal or Dungarvan for a playground and/or McDonalds (needs must). The weather wasn't great. All around there were ominous grey and black clouds and the rain was intermittent.
    Got to Villierstown for 11:45 grabbed a few essentials from the boot and bade farewell to le famille. They weren't gone long when I realised that I had frogotten my water bottle... and my watch... and my gels. I really must get into the habit of preparing the night before. The water was replacable and there would surely be time callers at the mile markers and as for the gels maybe they had a placebo effect on me...
    Villierstown itself was a very picturesque West Waterford protestant hamlet. Very nice. Registration took place in the town hall (a converted Protestant church) and was quick. Picked up goody bag (apple, orange, flapjack, water and very nice Adidas t-shirt) and pinned on my number & chip (am I the only person for whom it takes an eternity to pin on my number? I'm all thumbs). Quick warm-up run, spent a penny, a few stretches and down to the start area. At this stage the sun was breaking through and would continue to do so for the duration of the race (reports from Dungarvan [for that is where they went] was that the heavens opened during this time). Met the man himself (No, not Woddle, but the great JT) at the start area and asked him (foolishly) what time he was hoping for, "don't care" he said "just running a nice flat race on a nice day", I felt lik a pillock. Then told him that I had gotten his autograph all of 29 years previously. He looked non-plussed and sildled away to some more runners (presumably for some sane conversation).
    Before I knew it we were off. This was going to be my last stab at a 10 mile race for a long time (next Jan?) so inwardly I was telling myself to have a right go at breaking 70min (my current PB was 73.12 from Ballycotton) as that is one of my long/medium term goals. I was sort of in denial about the whole thing though. Plan was to go out hard (for me) and to see how I felt at 5 of 6 miles. First mile in 6:54, but ther was no idling or hanging around. Mile 2 in 13:49 in "undulating countryside". A very welcome stretch of downhill for mile 3. There was no time caller at 3 mile marker and I was isolated in the field so couldn't even ask someone what pace we were at. But I felt like I was maintaining a sub 7min/mile pace. 4 miles in 27:02 (a PB by 1:18 !!) but I was beginning to feel the pinch. Followed by a small uphill - a group of 5 runners then passed me but I hung on to them for the duration of the hill. Left them off then.
    Half way in 34:06 (a PB by 29 sec !!). I was still very much on course for the holy grail of the sub 70min but I was very aware of the uphill stretches (despite JT's assertions of a flat course) from mile 6.5 to 8. Pace was really beginning to pinch at this stage but all of a sudden we were at mile 6 (I have no evidence that I PB'ed at 10K but I can strongly assume that I did). We took a southerly turn back towards Villierstown at this stage and passed through very exotic gates (Dromana) and the uphill section began. It wasn't too bad at first but the gradient slowly increased and continued on for 11/2 miles. It was torrid going and everybody's pace was suffering. I was aware that my pace was slowing nut I was still passing some on that uphill stretch.
    Water station and end of the hills (almost at mile 8). I did something I never do in races and stopped to take the water on board ( rather that splash 90% over my face), another guy also stopped to do likewise for the frw seconds. "I suppose our sub 70 min is gone up in smoke" I said, "yeah by 40 seconds" he replied looking at his watch. I resumed my run and took off at pace (all relative here) up the remainder of the hill. I would need two miles of 6:40 the scrape under 70 min. The majority of mile 8 to mile 9 was flat and through beautiful woodland and I was travelling well. At mile 9 the descent into Villierstown began. I tried to up my pace as best I could and lengthened my stride to let the hill carry me down into the village. I entered the village to a great recption from the crowds (there was a real carnival atmosphere in the village), but we then veered off the main street for "a lap of the square" which took us out of the village again. This was soul destroying and whatever advantage I had gained on the downhill into the village was quickly being eroded now. Hung in there as we (finally, finally) turned back towards the village. The crowds were roaring us on. I knew I was close to the 70min still as the locals were shouting on a WWac female runner just behind me who regularly finishes around the 70min mark. Turned the final bend and when I looked at the (rather small) clock at the (rather impressive) finish line I could see that (as I feared) my 70min had passed and I finally crossed the line in chip time of 70:52 (7:05 min/mile).
    Initially I was devastated as this was a great chance for me to break the 70min mental barrier, but you must choose your battles carefully and I took on a course with a particularly nasty sting in it's tail.
    On reflection, not a bad PB (knocked 2min 20sec off my previous PB) and 4 other (unofficial) PB's (5K, 4mile, 5 mile and 10K). Got talking to a regular at these races and he told me to train well and have a pop at the Mallow 10 mile next Jan and the 70min barrier will definitely come tumbling down. That's a long time to wait.
    JT (who passed me at mile 2 incidentally) was head ass and tail of the day, and I met him again after the race:
    ME: "nice flat course John, eh??"
    JT: "Ha ha ha ha......"
    Rolled back the years then and got JT to autograph my cap. And do you know something - it hasn't changed a bit.

Villierstown 10 mile Summary
    Similar experience to eliwallach but trying for sub 80:( Blessed with the weather and decided not to wear a jacket which i was thankful for afterwards. Started near the back as the country races i find have less people slower than me % wise than Dublin and prefer passing people than being passed. Was hoping for about 82-83mins as PB was 8359 as thought i was in decent form.Start was uphill and felt the first mile went badly and watch showed 851,thought sub 85 would be a problem then!,started passing a few gradually then though and got to 5 in 4029 after a couple of 740's.Was dreading the hills that were mentioned but kept passing people and finished with 803,825,823,758,713 to come in at 8032 on my watch,20s more on chip but no start chip mat so a PB by 3m30secs.Decided to give a lash at sub 80 after 3 miles as was feeling good and delighted to come so close.Negative splits again of 4029/4003 so a sub 80 in the Frank Duffy is on!very enjoyable race and sanwiches,cake,tea at the end. :)Second water station at 8 miles was a bit far on even though i don't take any myself in races 10 or below.Expected more people though and was surprised by the absence of Bralitis,Zakis and the top Tipperary runners??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hawkwing wrote: »
    Villierstown 10 mile SummaryExpected more people though and was surprised by the absence of Bralitis,Zakis and the top Tipperary runners??:confused:

i cant find anything on line about prize money and as this is a charity run maybe the fact of little or no prize money could be a factor for some of the top runners not competeing.
    i could be way off and if i am i will happily be corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Raivis Zakis was in Latvia running the Riga marathon

showry wrote: »
    Raivis Zakis was in Latvia running the Riga marathon
    That explains,just saw he came 3rd there:

1 Oleg Gur 02:18:35
    2 Rik Ceulemans02:20:08
    3 Raivis Zaķis 02:28:19

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As the only other boards poster (I think) who said they were doing this, I thought Id post my experience of the day.

After listening to pelting rain all night, my first thought was relief that it wasnt piddling down as I got ready for the start. Id never done the distance before so I had no idea what to expect, but based on my half marathon time of 105, I hoped to do about an 80 minute run. I havent done many events so am still working on my pacing, and split times. However on the day I forgot my digital watch and only had an analogue... so no accurate times except the splits the marshalls gave. I was near the front for the start, which was probably not wise! It was a fast start, and I probably ran faster than I normally would starting out. I kept getting passed out, too, which is not good for the head.:)

My first mile was 7.55, which was fine, and my 5 mile was 37.55, which would put me ahead of my normal pace. I lost time in the second half though, because my fast start took it out of my legs and I had to ease up for a mile at mile 6 as I knew there was a bad hill to come. The steep hill at mile 8 absolutely killed my legs, but I did pass someone Id been trying to catch for miles, so that was something. It took me till the water stop to recover from that hill though. I was never so glad to get a drink, and I can see why they placed the stop there.

The last few miles were lovely, downhill. Even passed a few people who had passed me by earlier. The last lap around the town was longer than I thought it would be, I kept saying to myself 'wheres the bloody finish' and once I saw the clock I burst towards it so Id stay within the 1.17 time.:) So ended with 77.49

I good race, with lots of faster runners, which pulled me along faster than I normally might have run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I had thought I was going to miss the chance to record a time for a mile so was disappointed when the Trinity races were canceled due to the weather last week as I wasn't expecting to be around for the graded meet in Santry yesterday. Turns out I'd had enough of my camping holiday out in the west earlier than expected, sleeping in a tent when it's constantly raining is no fun, so after doing a quick bit of running on water I decided to head back to a proper bed and building with a solid roof. Whilst surfing boards on the train back though I was reminded that the Santry races were on that evening, so when I finally got back home I only had a short time to sort myself out, find the Boards AC vest, out and head straight out to the track.

Seemed that they were merging a couple of the earlier races together, so the mile races started a bit sooner than initially expected. At least there was no wind to speak of this week in Santry compared to the last track race in Irishtown, but the track was a bit waterlogged I discovered when my face got covered in muddy water on the first bend. I fitted myself in at about 4th'ish just behind a couple of bright yellow vests and just tried to remember not to get too carried away with speeding up as I thought I could go a bit faster at the early stages. It's actually very hard to remember anything much about what goes on in the races though, but I think about 2 laps to go a couple of people went past and things did speed up a touch, although I felt not quite as much as they had in the 1500m 2 weeks before at that point in the race. I did do better at managing to keep up with the chage in pace though. I just stuck onto the back of the guy in 3rd then for that lap until about 300m to go, and ignoring any tips/ shouts of support that other people were being given on the way round managed to just pull level along the back straight and then finally got into 3rd round the last bend. I had no idea who else was behind me though coming along the last hundred, but assuming that there must be someone there tried my best to keep the speed up until the line.

Once the results came out online, very quickly last night, it seems that I was right in assuming there were people pretty close behind, but delighted with finally getting a time in the mile and happy enough with the time as well ... for now.

Even happier though once I added the time into Stupid_Privates RaceLeague365.com site though. I had just managed to get to be recording times just around about the 70% mark on those calculations he does on your times and would have struggled to put any more effort into any of those races, but seems that last nights time suddenly jumped to being a 72.39% age corrected time. So although I actually felt as if things were going a bit slower at the start, I guess that the race did manage to pull me along to knocking off an extra couple of seconds from what I would otherwise have managed to do. The fear of someone overtaking you in the last 10 meters does wonders for finding that last extra bit of effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Fantastic result, you seem to get quicker from race to race, congrats

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    . The fear of someone overtaking you in the last 10 meters does wonders for finding that last extra bit of effort.

"No one knows the fear in a front runner's mind more than me. When you set off at a cracking pace for four or five laps and find that your main rivals are still breathing down your neck, that's when you start to panic" - Ron Clarke

If only I could figure out how to pace myself properly for these running round in small circles type races I'm sure I'd be able to knock lumps out of the times that I'm doing. Today's lesson in how not to do things was a mere 800m and it was clearly a popular choice of distance as the grade D event was split into two heats and they still had to double people up in the lanes for the first hundred round the bend. The first of the grade D races was won in something like 2:14 I think but I went in the second heat.

The gun went and I got infront of the guy sharing my lane, I then found myself fixated on the lane marking though and almost felt as if I was going to trip over it, I don't think I'd like to do a 400m in lanes all the way as it would be too hard concentrating on the lane markings. Once we broke on the back straight though I had somehow ended up out in the lead, and scarily could not hear anyone behind me. I then went through the bell in a stupid time of 61 seconds, which I guess at least means that this Mr Average is definately capable of breaking one of Racing Flats targets.

Not sure how close anyone was behind me at that point, but I could guess that someone must be gaining fast going down the back straight, whilst I was really starting to struggle to keep putting one foot infront of the other. I got taken buy one guy somewhere down the last 100m I think and then got knocked down to third right on the line. It is actually surprisingly hard to remember what exactly happened when in the race though, I do know for certain that it hurt though and I need to learn to go slower in order to go faster.

I ended up with a time of 2:13.96, so not too shabby, just know that I could do better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

thanks for the writeup robinph - that's an impressive time but I hope I can beat you one of these days :)... just gotta learn to pace myself in training and get my base mileage up a bit as i am stop-go at the moment, with a dodgy knee my latest excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

Nice report Robinph and a great time. I've always found it harder to pace myself on the track. Something about the atmosphere and the fact that someone always goes out fast enough which makes you think you should too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

If only I could figure out how to pace myself properly for these running round in small circles type races I'm sure I'd be able to knock lumps out of the times that I'm doing. Today's lesson in how not to do things was a mere 800m and it was clearly a popular choice of distance as the grade D event was split into two heats and they still had to double people up in the lanes for the first hundred round the bend. The first of the grade D races was won in something like 2:14 I think but I went in the second heat.

The gun went and I got infront of the guy sharing my lane, I then found myself fixated on the lane marking though and almost felt as if I was going to trip over it, I don't think I'd like to do a 400m in lanes all the way as it would be too hard concentrating on the lane markings. Once we broke on the back straight though I had somehow ended up out in the lead, and scarily could not hear anyone behind me. I then went through the bell in a stupid time of 61 seconds, which I guess at least means that this Mr Average is definately capable of breaking one of Racing Flats targets.

Not sure how close anyone was behind me at that point, but I could guess that someone must be gaining fast going down the back straight, whilst I was really starting to struggle to keep putting one foot infront of the other. I got taken buy one guy somewhere down the last 100m I think and then got knocked down to third right on the line. It is actually surprisingly hard to remember what exactly happened when in the race though, I do know for certain that it hurt though and I need to learn to go slower in order to go faster.

I ended up with a time of 2:13.96, so not too shabby, just know that I could do better though.

Great time despite the 61/72 splits. 65/64 next time ;).

Great time despite the 61/72 splits. 65/64 next time ;).

I guess I'd need to be doing lots and lots of laps in training to be able to know what pace I'm doing. I know exactly how many laps of a track that I have done though, and they were all in races. At least with road races I get a chance to glance at the Garmin to see what speed I'm going at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Another good performance robinph. I know you don't have a training log but this race report thread is starting to resemble one, what with you racing so much :D

2:13.96,

Is that a BAC Club Record for 800m?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I guess I'd need to be doing lots and lots of laps in training to be able to know what pace I'm doing. I know exactly how many laps of a track that I have done though, and they were all in races. At least with road races I get a chance to glance at the Garmin to see what speed I'm going at.

Doing the odd bit of training at race pace helps. Say you want to go for 2.12, 66 sec laps or 33 sec 200s; just to do a few 200s at 33secs only very occasionally might help.

Also, at an 800, hopefully there will be someone calling out splits at the 200 mark...As you went through 400 in 60/61, it was too late to do anything about it then, but you probably went thorugh 200 in about 29, and so if someone shouted out 28,29,20 as you went through 200, knowing that you are aiming for 33, it might allow you to check a tad (particularly as you were leading the race) so that you went through in 63/64 rather than 60/61.

Most of all, races will give you that experience. With 2.13 though you'll do all of the big 8...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Time to get this going again...I think its a great thread. I posted this on DCM page and in my log.

First off apologies for the long me me me post. This is how the day went for me and it’s something that I want to record to learn from. It was a special day for me and something I want to share....don’t care if nobody gives a ****. Here goes.

Going into this
    Training:
    Felt my training went really well. 3x20milers and an 18 and 19. One confident building 16miler at faster than marathon pace. Lots of speed work and felt really good going into DCM. Half time of 1’29 and 10km time of 39’10.

Fuelling/Rest:
    Happy with Taper and carb loading was sensible leading up to it.
    Very confident going into this, no injuries either. Plan 3’15 (secretly 3’10).

Race day
    What a day for it. I was worried about wind and rain and waiting around miserable at the start. No problems, there was a super atmosphere and I was raring to go.

First mile was 8’02 and planned pace was 7’13. I was actually really happy to be forced to go slow and really enjoyed taking it all in. I got to 10km in 46’25. Those first 6 miles were the most enjoyable miles I think I’ve ever run. Entering the park I had family with posters and it’s a great thing to see nieces/nephews (kids) out supporting. The park was beautiful and the vibe from all plodding around was so positive. Brilliant stuff.

Got out of the park and reached the water station at my club Donore Harriers. I’m only new there but it was super to have everyone shouting ‘Go Donore!’. Another boost. Just after the Chapelizod bridge, there was a section that went under a bridge. Ogi Ogi Ogi oi oi oi!!! That was great fun.
    Also gave a shout out to Woddle who caught me with the camera. Thanks Woddle.

Mile 11 and Mrs Floyd and a friend were there supporting. Nice one! For once on the crumlin road there was no wind or at least I didn’t notice. Great support up at the walkinstown roundabout. Really makes it special. Starting to feel something.....a bit of a struggle to keep the pace (7’10min/mile). This is a marathon...did I forget or something? Suck it up, take it, I’m alright.

Mile 16 or there abouts, I met Christieb (great to meet you mate). He was feeling it too. “I’m the same if it makes you feel any better” I said. Kept going, uncomfortable but it’s a marathon...!!

Mile 18. Going into the marathon, you don’t know what is going to happen, that’s what makes you nervous....the unknown. I knew now. To get to the end was going to be torture. Planned pace was held to this point. Miles 18 – 22 where 7’18/7’32/7’42/8’35/7’56

“I need to walk”, “I need to walk”, “Don’t stop”. I stopped to walk. Great words of advice from a woman in a red addidas tracksuit. I think she was working for the marathon. She put her hand on my shoulder and told me “baby steps”. She had been there before, I could tell, this really helped. The support out there was nothing short of amazing. I mean, you must get a bit bored shouting at total strangers wizzing/stumbling by. Not the case. I took lots of encouragement from every word of encouragement. I needed it.

I hit a wall in Belfast in May. This was the great wall of Dublin and I was on my own to beat it. When I stopped to walk (must have been 7 times) my eyes were rolling around my head. I felt drugged. Last few miles were 9’58/10’54/9’16. Around westland row my hamstring or some muscle around the back of my leg had other ideas. I put my hand on the muscle and it felt like it had a mind of its own. Ever touch a slug and watch it wriggle up? This was, in some way, a relief. “you can’t go on”, “stop”, “you’ve been brave, no shame”. It’s funny to be thinking things like that when dozens of people are shouting the most encouraging words. Baby steps, that works. Around by trinity I had lots of family and friends. I couldn’t muster a smile. Sorry. 26 miles, 0.2 to go. The same muscle at the top of my leg was back for more. A tap on the back from a mate from the club and we jogged to the end together. 3’26 finish time.

I was spent. I’m sure I Looked like I had drunk 20 pints and I was made sit down after the line, I could barely stand. See picture attached below, taken from the rte site. I looked over at the guy beside me and put out my hand, he shook it. I won’t forget that moment. He said to me “did I finish?”. What a brave man, I thought....”of course you did, this is the finish”. Fair play to him.

Turns out RTE news cameras caught me here and I found a snap in the Star today. Looks like I was crying...but I wasn't ;). Didn’t even notice the cameras and I’m one for pics...ask Woddle.

Scraped myself off the ground, got my t-shirt and walked to baggage. I thought I was about to feint so I quickly lay on the ground. Several people came to me to help and I won’t forget that....there are some very nice people out there. St John’s Ambulance do some great work. I was embarrassed being brought to their tent in a wheelchair but feck it, I needed help. The amount of people on beds, dying was unreal. Well done and thank you for the help.

Walking to the baggage area, I said hello to Gerard65 and then RacoonQueen. Really glad I met more boardsies. Like this post, it’s cool to share your day a little with people doing what you enjoy. Just so you two know, my lips aren’t usually blue and I usually have some colour in my face :D

Got warm clothes on, lay down for a while and got sick. Once I was able to stomach some water, I came around and started to smile and enjoy myself again. The blue lips didn’t go until around 7pm...Don’t know what that was all about.

I’m really proud of myself that I was brave (like all of you) and gave it everything. This is the main thing that I am taking from yesterday, my second Marathon. I thought I’d be disappointed to not reach my goal but it’s not about that when it comes down to it. That was all about spending too much time on Mcmillan and figuring out where I stood at the start line. “3’15 in the bag” I thought....dope. It’s all about the race and nothing is in the bag until you have finished.

Main thing I learned: Respect the marathon.

A very happy Misty Floyd.

Advertisement