Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring 2 cars

• 03-12-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any company/policy where one driver can insure two vehicles in their own name.

I'm looking at getting an old 4wd for going to sports events, but don't want it as a daily driver. The cheapest insurance quote I can get is €690 3rd party with my current insurer as I can't use any NCB despite a clean driving record!

I tried pointing out that I was only able to drive one vehicle at a time, but nobody seems to be able to grasp that concept.

If anybody else is in a similar situation, I'd love to know how you got it worked out.

Regards.

Fey!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sorry, buy you're **** out of luck, as they say.

2 of us in our house, 4 policies, 4 NCB's. Took a while, but we got there !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Some companies will give you an "intro bonus" (usually two years) if you already have a full ncb with them. The reason you can't use your ncb on two vehicles is because the premium is based on how many years ncb you have. So if you have a 50% ncb on one pol you're getting a 50% discount.

If you were to have the 50% on both and you had an accident then your premium for both would go up. That's why you earn an ncb for every car that you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If an 80s 4x4 would do the trick then you might get it onto a classic policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Thanks for the input.

I understand what Adrieanne is saying about the NCBs; surely you can get some discount for being a named driver on your own policy, though!!!

As for going classic, it's a 1996 Hilux Surf I'm getting. Nice, comfortable, and only 50k miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Same as GalwayTT I have two policies and two NCB's as well as being on a fleet policy in work. Cant understand why Irish insurance companies havent grasped the concept of more than one car on a policy. They can do it for fleets for companies but not private individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 a_chara

Why don't you just temp transfer insurance to the hilux whenever you need it? You can do it online for free with Hibernian anyway, i'd imagine the other companies have a similar function to temp transfer your policy.

From my own personal experience stay away from quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

Somebody from the insurance industry should try and explain how you might be able to drive 2 cars at the same time.......therefore requiring 2 separate policies or is it just laziness or money grabbing - or both !

Get a late 80's landcruiser and insure it on a classic policy Fey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

You can't drive 2 cars at the same time but they could say your spouse/partner or any other named driver might be, hence one car per policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

CoDy1 wrote: »
    You can't drive 2 cars at the same time but they could say your spouse/partner or any other named driver might be, hence one car per policy.

My circumstance is that we both have 1 car each, both are insured individually with the SAME insurer, surely there should be leeway on insuring a second car in one of the names ? It's just money making, it's not an issue in the UK so there's no reason for it to be here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

a_chara wrote: »
    Why don't you just temp transfer insurance to the hilux whenever you need it? You can do it online for free with Hibernian anyway, i'd imagine the other companies have a similar function to temp transfer your policy.

From my own personal experience stay away from quinn.

Doesn't work, you need to have an insurance policy on both the cars. Temp transfers are only for things like when your car is getting fixed or if you need to drive someone else's car for a while (i.e. you CANNOT own the car you have on a temp transfer). Most insurance companies have a cap on how many temp transfers can be done in a policy i.e. RSA, AXA, AIG etc are all 30 days max in a policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Funnily enough, you can get insurance policies here on which you can insure multiple motorbikes.

The only other option I can see is a motor trade policy, which means I coud drive anything in anyones name, as long as I have the correct license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Dave - I'm with Axa, through the AA - they were happy to give me an introductory 5 years NCB for a second policy. MIght be worth transferring all your business over to a company who are willing to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you have DOC (driving other cars) or third party extension you might be able to be insured on the second car that way, if the other vehicle didn't belong to you.

Obviously check the specifics as they apply to your policy.

Advertisement