Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 316 dash warning light

• 06-12-2007 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Recently bought a BMW 316 coupe (1998), started the car this morning and noticed a warning light is illuminated on the dash, it looks like the handbrake symbol without the "P" in the middle of the circle. I got no manual with this car so I can't check what it means in that and all online searches have turned up nothing :( Can anyone tell me what this sign means and if it's gonna cost a lot to have sorted, and help is much appreciated :)

The symbol looks something like this one http://www.carbibles.com/images/brakewarning1.jpg
    Minus the the exclamation mark in the middle and instead of two lines along the side, there is a few squares along both sides

I'll try to u/l a pic of it shortly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Is the car auto or manual?

Is the yellow or red?

Usually red means that the handbrake is up
    Usually yellow means the traction is off

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Is the car auto or manual?

Is the yellow or red?

Usually red means that the handbrake is up
    Usually yellow means the traction is off
    It's a manual and the symbol is red :(

Pic attached, sorry for the bad quality...its the symbol furthest left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

It sounds like a brake pad warning light. Many BMW's have a sensor in the brake pads to indicate brake pad wear. When the pad wears to a certain level a sensor is broken and the light comes on to tell you to get the pads replaced. Light can be reset when the pads are replaced.

Sometimes key to position 1 for 20 seconds, turn off for 20 seconds, then start the engine, will reset the light but you still need brakes...

Thats the brake pad warning light IIRC. Although on my car it was a yellow light? May be differeent to yours though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Thats exactly what it is(a brake pad light). Older BMWs had a red light for brake pads.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what it is(a brake pad light). Older BMWs had a red light for brake pads.

Well OP you're not in trouble so. Replacement part is about 18euro from the dealers. You prob need to change your brake pads too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Some times its just the wire gone on the sensor and your brake pads don't need to be changed, best check the condition of the pads and see...

The sensor clips onto one of the front brake pads, and is fairly easily changed, you might be able to change it without removing the caliper / pads..

I'm not sure about the coupe, but it might also have a sensor on one of the rear pads, this could also be causing the same light.

OP: Can't speak for your own car, but on my 2002 320d there is a brake pad sensor on both front and back, opposite sides.

IIRC it's the Front passenger side and the Rear drivers side

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

The sensor comes on before the pads need to be replaced. But change them asap as their is only 1 sensor on the front and 1 on the back. One side could have worn quicker. On the front it is on the passenger side and the rear it's on the drivers side. When replacing the pads make sure you get a sensor too. the sensor is only 8 quid. Pads and sensor can be gotten in GSF.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement